Quantcast Any recent AirTran stories?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any recent AirTran stories?

I just purchased my airline tickets for our upcoming November 14-20 trip through AirTran. I haven't flown with them since 2002, when I was less than thrilled with the service, but....I was tempted with the low prices.( I know, I know, you get what you pay for!)

Just wondering if anyone has any recent stories to share about them, good or bad?

Thanks!!
    1. October 1999-All Star Sports
    2. November 2002-All Star Sports
    3. January 2007-Pop Century (shh! it's a surprise!)
    4. November 2010-Animal Kingdom Lodge

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We fly Airtran yearly, never really had a problem with service. That being said, for $79 one way tix we don't expect much more that the drinks and pretzels. Check in counter is always courteous (my DH is on the "list" so we always have to check in in person- last Nov the employee at Kidani did some extra data entry and said we wouldn't have to deal with that hassle any more-we'll be testing it out in 60 days!). One caveat, we always buy tickets way ahead and do typically experience time changes as the dates approach, if they are significant I call and can usually get something approximate to our original times, but we tend to be quite flexible with these things.
    Last edited by tundramom; 09-05-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: sp
    May'98-WL
    Sept'01-POFQ
    Oct'03-ASM
    Aug'04-CBR & Charley
    Dec'05- WL-Joined DVC
    June'06- DL's Grand Californian
    Nov '06 SSR
    Oct '07 SSR with extended family
    Oct '08 Disney Wonder/OKW
    Nov '09 AKV @ Kidani
    Nov '10 Kidani
    Nov '11 VWL
    May-June 13 Kidani
    Feb-March '14 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

We've flown with them twice last year, both times to Orlando, and had great service. On our way home in June, there was a mix up with our seats (long story) and they didn't have our seats together despite having paid for it. We were upgraded to business class.

We'll fly with them again. Can't beat the prices and the location, non-stop from our local airport.
    Mindy

'79, '83, '85, '87, '89, '95, '98~Off Property
    2006~Polynesian
    2007~Just for the weekend!!
    2009~Wilderness Lodge
    2010~Hilton DTD
    Next up . . . Poly, 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Our last 5 trips we have flown AirTran and have never had a problem. The prices sure can't be beat!

Post Thanks / Like

We flew Airtran last fall and enjoyed the flight, even more so than the Spirit flight we took home. However, Airtran has since stopped running nonstop flights from atlantic city to orlando, which is why we aren't using them for our next trip.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

We just flew Air Tran our recent August trip. We left on time from Milwaukee and departed on time from Orlando.

I have also flown Air Tran numerous times from Milwaukee to Boston. I've never had any problems/complaints. I had a 2 hour delay last August but that was related to the weather in Boston.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone, hopefully our flight will go smoothly this time too

Quote Originally Posted by tinksmom02 View Post
    However, Airtran has since stopped running nonstop flights from atlantic city to orlando, which is why we aren't using them for our next trip.
    Luckily for us, we live smack dab between Philadelphia and Atlantic City, so its easy to get to either airport, depending on which airline has better prices...in this case AirTran
    1. October 1999-All Star Sports
    2. November 2002-All Star Sports
    3. January 2007-Pop Century (shh! it's a surprise!)
    4. November 2010-Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

We flew AirTran out of BWI in May and flights were fine, however, they changed outgoing flight time by an hour and never notified us. Flying with small children this put us in the air over lunch time which was not a good thing but we packed lunches so it worked out. I heard recently that they have upped their checked luggage fee to $20 per bag, does anyone know if that is true? If so, flying SW seems the way to go from here on out as we have never had a problem with them.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Paula[/

Post Thanks / Like

No problem on our last flight but the June trip to Disney was a bummer. Booked four months out for 9 of us. I took the family. 9am flight. They changed it to 10. Ok. They changed it to 11:20. Not happy but nothing else available got us there any earlier. Arrive at airport. No plane. Mechanical problems. Never got out of the airport til after 3. Got to the BC at 6:30 and hungry with cranky kids. By the time we got in our rooms it was too late to do anyting but go to dinner. Basically blew an entire day.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

I've flown AirTran a couple times this year for work and have had no complaints. On one of the flights, the pilot did a blues rip on a harmonica to make his initial announcement. They also seem to have some fun with their other announcements, depending on the flight crew.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

A friend and I flew Airtran in January with our two 5yo children. There were several time changes including changing a nonstop flight to a 1 stop flight on the first half of the trip. We ended up taking a flight the night before and staying at a value for one night(we were only going for 4 days so really didnt want to lose the time we would have). The one stop flight they put us on left us with a 40 minute layover in Atlanta. We moved as fast as we could with two children and when we arrived at the gate the attendant very rudely informed us that if we had been one second later she wouldn't have allowed us to board(we didn't even take a pitstop at the restrooms). We had to put our carry on luggage about 8 rows behind us. But we got through it and had a great return nonstop flight. I booked with them again for our upcoming September trip and our return flight has been changed twice. We are now leaving 2 1/2 hours earlier than our original book date. I have had to change our meal reservations for that day already and will now just end up cancelling them. We were not supposed to leave until 9pm, then it changed to 7:25pm, now 6:30pm so now DME will pick us up at 3:30p.
    On a good note to Airtran though, I did send out an e-mail with the first change letting them know about our previous experience & displeasure with the current changes to our flight and they gave us assigned seats without a charge. Then when this last change came up my husband called and spoke with customer relations several times and they offered us several different options to make up for our changes. We chose to take an upgrade in seat assignment because we would not be able to use the vouchers they offered within the next year. So even though they have messed up some of our plans they did go out of their way to try to make us happy.
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting timing on your post. I just got an e-mail from airtran a few hours ago informing me that our return flight from Orlando to DFW, originally booked to depart at 5:03 pm, change in Atlanta, and arrive DFW at 8:44, has now been changed to leave Orlando at 4:00 pm, have a 4 1/2 layover in Atlanta, and arrive DFW at 11:26 pm.

It's bad enough losing at hour at WDW, but the extremely late arrival time now means trying to keep two young kids happy for over four hours in an airport, dealing with luggage for four and two (likely) sleeping children when we arrive at nearly midnight, and paying for a very expensive taxi ride to my parent's house (since my mom is afraid to drive late at night).

Hopefully we can make better arrangements when I call them tonight.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Talked to AirTran last night and although still getting in later than had planned (now 10:20), at least it is a non-stop so no layover issues and get four more hours at the World before having to leave.

I'm satisfied
    (Now, hopefully, no more changes)
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

There are no real issues with AirTran in general. However, their schedules are about as solid as water. Just be prepared for possible flight schedule changes, lay over changes, etc. If you do not care about those uncertainties, there is nothing to be concerned with.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I have to deal with their flight time change for our December trip also. When I first booked our return flight was a non stop from MCO to MKE at 5:30pm getting back home at 7:45. They eliminted that flight and gave the option to have a 1 stop at Baltimore and not getting in until 10 pm. Other option was to leave later and get in at again 10 pm on a non stop or to leave at 9:45 am. Which I reluctantly chose to do for possible weather/flight scenarios. I don't like taking last flight out and keeping fingers crossed. So we pretty much lost our last day also. Don't think that I'll book though Airtran again.
    ~~~~~~Stephanie~~~~~~

December 3-7, 2010 Poly LVC
    April 13-18, 2009 Poly LVC
    Feb 8-11, 2008 Poly LVC
    March 07 - Poly LVC
    December 06 - Poly LVC
    October 05 - CR
    June 04 - Grosvenors
    March 02 - Off Site
    November 00 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm flying Airtran at the end of the month...hopefully it will all be ok. No changes yet! I recently flew Delta and was very disappointed.
    Two things You told me: That You are strong, and You love me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used AirTran in and out of eight different airports -- LGA, HPN, SWF, BOS, MEM, PHF, TPA, MCO -- and have never had anything but a fine experience. I rarely book flights far in advance, so I have never dealt with a schedule change with them. I understand that is the airline's most frequent complaint.

I always compliment AirTran's customer service department, which helped out of a jam a couple years ago. I was scheduled to fly from Memphis, Tenn., to LaGuardia Airport in New York on Delta, but bad weather in the Northeast resulted in a flight cancellation. Meanwhile, I was supposed to fly from LaGuardia to Orlando, Fla., the next morning on AirTran.

Delta put me on a later flight in Memphis back to New York, but I feared weather would affect that one as well.

I called AirTran and explained the entire situation. The agent put me on a flight that afternoon directly from Memphis to Orlando and waived the change fee. I even received a $25 credit to make up the difference between the two flights!

Because my itinerary with Delta had been canceled, I received a full refund and arrived in Orlando an entire day before I was supposed to.

Thanks, AirTran!
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

We use AirTran almost exclusively (except when they don't fly to our intended destination) and have always had a great experience with them. Even when there were delays (due to weather) or other plane issues - we've always been nicely compensated. The also have good customer service over the phone - a rarity these days! (we're booking them this week for our 2011 trip) Enjoy your trip!
    PinKy
    Upcoming trips: July 2021 Big Family trip to Disney!
    Most Recent Trip: October 2020 MNSSHP Family Weekend away!
    DVC Members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

oh! I should add - if its just that you're used to flying more business/first class etc - you might try just upgrading when you check in 24-hours prior to your trip. Its quite affordable and you get a much larger seat and more leg room + snacks.
    PinKy
    Upcoming trips: July 2021 Big Family trip to Disney!
    Most Recent Trip: October 2020 MNSSHP Family Weekend away!
    DVC Members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

For the most part I don't really have a problem with Airtran, my last 10 or so flights have been with them. They do change flight times on you about a million times, which is really annoying! The last time they moved me to a different flight than the 2 people I was traveling with (even though we were all booked on the same reservation)...even the people on the phone at Airtran weren't sure how that happened!

Southwest is new to my area of the world, so I'm trying them now. We are going for a week before Christmas, and I knew I couldn't get by without checking a bag for bringing home gifts!

Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: