Quantcast Rude encounters in the parks? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I had this teen boy one time who was one of the last people into the elevator. He clearly was an experience HM vet, because he spent almost the entire pre-show worming his way through the crowd to make his way over to the exit doors ... where my family and I happened to be standing. I saw him working his way over and I knew what he was doing and I basically refused to get out of his way. He eventually resorted to literally wedging himself between me and the wall so he could be behind me and first out of the elevator.

I didn't exactly threaten him physically, but suffice it to say that I gave him a look and a tongue lashing that sent him skulking away in a hurry.

I swear ... common courtesy and manners are dead anymore. Everyone is out for themselves and beware anyone who would get in their way.
    This kind of queue brings out the worst in people, I think. You can be first in the room and end up last in line- but it's still a short, fast-moving line after that, and I think people need to remember that. But many don't, and the pushing-shoving mentality kicks in. In your case, Ian, one teenage boy, I probably would have laughed and let him through. And then with my luck, he would have had ten more family members expecting to cut the line to get to him, and threatening to crack me if I was in the way.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't care if someone has something wrong with me but when it comes to my kids is when I have a problem...We were in Epcot in June walking out of WS after the fireworks and my DD was run over by a stroller...She fell down and skinned her hands and knees and while I was picking her up off the ground, the lady that was pushing the stroller gave me a dirty look ...My Mom was there with me and went after her and asked her why she did that and she told my Mom that she had done nothing wrong and walked off...How do you do that to a child and walk away and not own up to it? I just don't get people like that...
    It did work out for my daughter...She got some Disney bandaids and a new Stitch that she had seen the day before...
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

This kind-of behavior is exactly why out of the 68 days we've spent in the parks we have only watched 3 parades and the one firework show.

When we do camp out the hour for a good spot we let our kids sit on the curb and then dh and i sit directly behind them. We do this because the first parade my son's hand was ran over by a stroller and then my daughter (who was only 13 months old was nugged off the curb into the street by a lady pushing her stroller closer and closer and closer.

I always tell friends when they go to park their stollers and sit/stand for the parade. A family of 4/5 can sit in the space used by 2 strollers.
    2001-first visit/honeymoon
    2003-off site visit
    2005-moved to florida to be closer to Mickey
    .....68 days in the park......
    next visit 10/1/10

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I agree that there are lots of rude people at the parks... we encountered them at parades, pushing strollers and in lines and even a rude cast member or two but most everyone was really nice so when I look back I try to focus on the good

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

We, too, have been the recipient of bad behavior in the parks... and like most everyone else, it's been related to parades and fireworks.

When we were watching Wishes, my DH picked up my then 4yr old DD and held her up so she could see. He didn't put her on his shoulders, although I think that would have been fine -- we were in the center of the hub area in front of the castle, and seeing as the fireworks are over your head, she wouldn't have been blocking anyone's view.

But, that didn't stop a man "behind" us from asking my husband to put her down so he could see... ... seriously?? I wanted to ask him how he expected her, at 3 feet tall, to see, when he felt that as a 6ft tall person, he couldn't?? Instead, my DH just gently reminded him that the fireworks were over our heads, and there wasn't a bad view to be had, except by little children who could only see the tops of our heads if not lifted up. He didn't say anything else, but muttered under his breath a fair amount...

That same trip, we also had to basically wear body armour to protect our view of the parade at MK... we got to the viewing area in Frontierland a good 45 minutes before the parade was to begin, got our girls comfortably settled in front of us, and began the wait, cold drinks in hand. As the crowds got heavier, the CM's came out and started playing games with the kids, and brought our girls out to join in. So, we did what any normal parent would do -- we stood in their spot! Well, a family with children older than ours began to shove their way through towards us (we had at least 3 lines of people behind us, and we were only aware of their shoving b/c they kept pushing the folks behind us into us...) As they got their teenage kids towards the front, the mom asked my husband and I to move so their kids could stand in front of us. Now, granted, at the time, they didn't realize we had children we were holding a spot for, and their kids were obviously shorter than us, although not by much. My DH said no, that wasn't possible b/c we were holding spots for our own children -- to which the woman replied that if they weren't able to stand in line and be patient themselves, we should just get in the back and let kids who WERE patient enough to wait see the parade!! At this point, my DH about lost it, as this family had obviously just shown up and wormed their way through... and the man in the family next to us leaned over & said, "We've all been here close to an hour, and their children were picked to go out and play the games because they were being so patient. Please go back to where you should be waiting!" I could have applauded him... it was a priceless moment.

I know that not everyone who goes to WDW is aware of what it takes to get good seats to shows, good views of parades, etc.... but you'd think that they would at least understand common decency and politeness, but I guess that is just not as common anymore.

Regardless -- based on all the comments on here, at least we have a whole community of people who are raising their kids to know the concept of those words, and hopefully it will continue to get passed on!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Our worst rude person encounter was at AK for the Christmas parade! My DH is a big man. 6'2 and large but he does not use it for his advantage often. I was standing in front of the kids who were on the curb. He was back a ways and away from us. This stroller lady kept running over my ankles trying to get me to move so her kids could see. We had staked out our spot for over an hour and I was not moving!! When she ran over my feet for the third time they started to drip blood. My DH came over and stood beside me and she LEFT! Yeah for my hero! He will not go to ANOTHER parade now tho!

Post Thanks / Like

I had he same type thing happen at a parade in MK. After waiting for over an hour, this lady and her kid came up and tried to push up front. I informed her that we had waited and no she didn't get to come up 5 minutes before the parade and get in front of us. After a couple of minutes I told her that her daughter was welcome to stand in front of me, since it wasn't her fault her mom couldn't plan.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    After a couple of minutes I told her that her daughter was welcome to stand in front of me, since it wasn't her fault her mom couldn't plan.
    If I can possibly do it, I will make an exception for young children. I figure my kids typically get to Disney twice a year at least and there are probably children there for whom it's their first and maybe only trip. I don't want them to miss out on the parade experience simply because their lazy parents couldn't be bothered to do a little research before their trip.

Most times I try really, really hard to remember that a lot of the folks who are pushing/shoving are parents who are just trying to get their kids the best experience possible. If I can help with that, without compromising the experiences of others, I will. But there have been a few times when I've gotten heated with other guests. There's a right way and a wrong way to go about things. The right way will probably get you what you want. The wrong way and you will most definitely unleash Mean Ian.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You know - it;s funny - I always feel like WDW brings out the best in my family - we are happy and relaxed and unrushed (the ride will still be there in 10 minutes if I walk instead of run). We talk to and smile at people. We try to let little ones up front to see parades, we give up seats on the buses and share space and memories. It makes me sad that it often brings out the worst in others.

Post Thanks / Like

We were waiting for the night parade at MK, we got there in time to get a front row seat on the curb for the kids as did a family ext to us. Though it was 10PM it was still hot and being there 20 mins ealry I went to get drinks as did the guy next to us. Well the family next to us were all sitting (mom and 2 kids) while the dad went to get drinks. They had their single stroller next to them(the child from the stroller was on the moms lap and may have want to go back in the stroller) and the stroleer was where the dad was standing. I was back from getting drinks. he was still gone. A guy and his older son comes up and says to me in disgust do you really need all of thsi room, referencing the other family's stroller and moves it and gets hmself right on front. I told him it was not my stroller it belomged to the other family. He acts like a jerk and says the same thing to her. He is looking at me as if I am going to side with him. I said to him that we have all been waiting here 15 mins now and if that spot where the stroller was had not been taken I would have taken it - 15 mins ago. Our kids were up front we were behind them! He tries to pick the stroller up and move it again - was nasty and eventually just left - thank goodness!

Also during the stage show at MK we had great spots. Well I gues the dad in front of us did not have the perfect view for his precious little daughter once the hsow started so he moved from next to us and squeezed right in front of my 4 foot 3 inch son while he held his daughter up to see the show - nice! Glad we got there 15 mins early so this yahoo could show up last minute and have a perfect view. Yes, we saved this spot just for you and your daughter buddy....not like I wanted my child to see the show too!
    May 2007 - CBR 6 nights
    Dec 2008 - CSR 8 nights
    Aug 2010 - AKL 5 nights /Sports 3 nights
    Aug 2011 - Pop 9 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Had a guy during our last Feb 2008 trip run into my daughter while trying to score a good parade spot. He had his kid on his shoulders and was so oblivious to the fact that he almost knocked down a 6 year old!

My husband, who does not just sit back during such things, made a loud, but not obnoxious comment to this guy to watch it! The guy looked back, embarrassed, and kept going.

Had we not been at Disney my husband probably would have done more!

People just don't watch, everyone needs to get there NOW, I hate when rude people do such things. Overall, we had a great time, this was the only rude guy during our whole stay thank goodness.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rude encounters

Through the years I've had too many rude encounters with fellow guests — and a few CMs — to count. My family tries to laugh them off (similar to the "Beep Beep" lady mentioned in this thread) because it's the only way to deal with them. Eventually, they all fade away in memory.

But the people we continue to remember are the really nice ones we meet. My favorite was a woman on a very crowded monorail 11 years ago. I was about 7 months pregnant and didn't have a seat and it was a really hot day. She told her son (about 12) to get up and let me sit. When he became a bit sullen about it, as all 12-year-olds would, she lectured him politely about how difficult it is to be pregnant, especially in the heat, and that she always expected him to be a gentleman. I've since used her example with my own son, now almost 11. All these years later, I'd like to thank her again for her kindness!

Post Thanks / Like

Rude encounters should be expected. As a country, we do not teach respect any more. Everyone thinks they are entitled. This mentality starts with parents. It is also geographical as well. There are certain areas in the US where people are more disrespectful than others. There are also many other countries that lack respect when they visit.

Personally, I just grin and bear it. I am going through a phase with my 4yo who insists that it is proper to greet people by snorting like a pig.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    As a country, we do not teach respect any more. Everyone thinks they are entitled. This mentality starts with parents.
    This is soo true!! Everyone does think that they are entitled to get the best seat, to get on the ride first, etc. It's really sad but you have to feel sorry for these people because there is more to life than just beating other people. If they learn to slow down they may enjoy life more and start to see the value of others rather than just themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    I am going through a phase with my 4yo who insists that it is proper to greet people by snorting like a pig.
    This made me laugh out loud. Maybe your 4 yr old is on to something...Maybe the people that are rude should all be greeted this way... LOL

On a side note:
    I know I would say something if these things happened to me or my family. I would handle it rather calmly. I cannot say the same for my hubby...that type of stuff sends him off the deep end. But I have realized when I do say something I feel better...if I don't I harp on it all day and it ruins my time.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this has already been covered in this thread but I have to comment. Flash photography on Pirates of the Caribbean. We (my family and I ) have a BIG problem with people who take flash pictures during this ride. So annoying. It pretty much ruins the ride for everyone else. I really wish that people would be more considerate. Also, any other instances of rude behavior in the parks that I can remember seem to revolve around strollers and tour groups. There's definitely a pattern, here.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

I remeber another time when we were staying at Kidani Village. We got on the bus and headed over to the orignail AK Lodge Jambo. I had my DS stroller folded up and in the seat next to me near the front of the bus. When folks started to get on at Jambo the bus started to fill up. I was about to move the stroller and make room for the final person but before I had a chance the lady made a rude comment about how the stroller gets a seat. Needless to say I ended up not moving the stroller. I know that the right thing to do would be to still make room but I'm sorry if your going to make a rude comment you can't expect to get what you want.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - there is a right way and a wrong way to get ahead in lines.

Right way - Parents with kid in a stroller asked if they could move ahead of my spouse and I when in line for the monorail, because it was past their child's bedtime. Sure, that's fine. they asked nicely, and the little one was obviously exhausted. (And it had the added benefit of me not having to share a car with a scremaing toddler.)

Wrong way - teenage boy pushed past my mother when walking down the street in Tomorrowland and hit her so hard trying to squeeze past that her shoulder was dislocated. (We didn't realize until later, since she had broken it a few weeks back and it was already numb. Otherwise that kid and I would have had words with Security!)

Simple policy - show me manners and I will do the same. Or as grandpappy used to say "respect is earned, not given kiddo."
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post

But, that didn't stop a man "behind" us from asking my husband to put her down so he could see... ... seriously?? I wanted to ask him how he expected her, at 3 feet tall, to see, when he felt that as a 6ft tall person, he couldn't?? Instead, my DH just gently reminded him that the fireworks were over our heads, and there wasn't a bad view to be had, except by little children who could only see the tops of our heads if not lifted up. He didn't say anything else, but muttered under his breath a fair amount...
    In all honesty, I would have asked your husband to put the kid down, too. I have a pet peeve of having taller people in front of me, especially when in a theater. Even if the fireworks are in the sky, they are not necessarily overhead, but tend to be more in front of you. I see no harm in holding your child up to see the fireworks, but not on the shoulders. Maybe just hold them at your chest or on a hip?
    '93, '94, '95, '97, '98 - Fort Wilderness
    '00 & '01 - Contemporary
    '02 - Old Key West
    '06 & '07 - Pop Century
    '09 - All-Star Music

'10 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    In my case, it wasn't the flash photography that bothered me nearly as much as the family's behavior afterwards. I don't know the kind of people who threaten others with bodily harm or say they're going to "crack" someone- in front of their own small children! This kind of behavior blows my mind. I felt like they stepped off the set at the Jerry Springer show. Yes, the flash photography was bad enough, but I would have understood if they really didn't know or it was an innocent mistake. This family's behavior was beyond the pale.
    The fact that there even exists a Jerry Springer show speaks volumes...

Unfortunately, bad behavior no longer surprises me - even at Disney. I am still disgusted by it, but not surprised.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

My "rude person" experience happened several years ago when my children were school age. It was July and very hot and we stopped in Diamond Horseshoe for some cool drinks and a break. I sat with the kids while my husband got our order. He had a tray with 5 large drinks. As he was making his way back through the crowd he had to stop because his path was blocked by a couple that was having a very heated argument. The woman's back was to my husband and she became very animated and started backing up right into my DH. The drinks went everywhere-on her, my dh and the floor. She whirled around and just glared at my husband. No apology-nothing! And then she just stormed away!!!
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: