Quantcast Tidbits September/October 2010

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Tidbits September/October 2010

Tidbits
    September / October 2010

If it Meets like a Duck …

10/28/10
    A permanent Meet & Greet for Donald Duck opened at the Magic Kingdom earlier this month. The new location is located on the banks of the Rivers of America, across from the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon in Frontierland. The Meet & Greet features crates, barrels, and other cargo with a large sign reading “Rivers of America Crossing”.

Jambo, Addax

10/28/10
    Kilimanjaro Safaris has recently added new animals. The Animal Kingdom attraction has added five male Addax to its East Savannah section. Although no animal sightings are guaranteed, Cast are reporting that the Addax should be “regularly” viewable on safaris. Guests can identify the new antelope species by their long corkscrew shaped horns and scraggily beards.

Craisin Crazy

10/28/10
    Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has recently announced a strategic alliance with Ocean Spray Cranberries. As a result of the alliance, Guests will be able to purchase packages of Ocean Spray brand Craisin dried cranberries from fruit carts and kiosks across Walt Disney World theme parks. The packages are planned to be a special Disney Parks exclusive edition featuring a Chip ‘n’ Dale theme. Guests will also find the Ocean Spray brand Craisin dried cranberries being used by Walt Disney World Resort chefs in various dishes; such as, salads and baked goods.

A Final Milestone

10/28/10
    The Magic Kingdom park will be discontinuing its Mickey Mouse focused tour later this Fall. The Mickey’s Magical Milestones tour will be discontinued after November 20, 2010. At the time of the announcement a reason was not cited for the ending of the offering.

One Man’s Refurb ...

10/28/10
    As the refurbishment of One Man’s Dream continues, several reports have indicated that the unusual length of the refurb is tied to changes to the attraction. According to Studios Cast, the newly refurbished attraction will feature many updated exhibits and displays. It is also rumoured, but not confirmed, that part of the refurbished attraction will be dedicated to new Imagineering projects-- like the Fantasyland Expansion and other future attractions.

6/14/10
    One Man’s Dream at Disney’s Hollywood Studios is scheduled for a multi-month closure Late Summer through Mid-Fall 2010. The attraction is scheduled to be closed for refurbishment August 16 through November 2, 2010. A reason for the lengthily refurbishment has yet to be announced.

Nothing to Dread, but Dread themselves

10/5/10 Based on the apparent success of the test this past April, construction has begun to add permanent interactive elements to the Haunted Mansion queue. It has not been reported if the interactive elements will be similar to those tested or not, although the the new elements will reportedly replace much if not all of the existing graveyard. Construction walls are currently up around the affected areas of the queue, but a launch date for the new queue has not been reported. So far, there have been no reports of the construction affecting those queuing for the attraction.

4/28/10 The Haunted Mansion has temporarily added an interactive element to its queue themed to the lost fortune of the Dread family. The themed element is a Mausoleum wall etched with images of departed Dread family members. If Guest's listen closely to each etching, the Guest will hear a whispered clue relating to the location of the fortune of family patriarch Jacob Dread. Once a Guest has listened to all of the clues, they should be able to figure out the fortune's location on the Mansion grounds. This test is expected to be operating from 11 am - 3 pm, but may be active for only a short period of days.

Fantasyland Fall-out

10/5/10It has been internally announced that the new queue for the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh will feature multiple interactive elements. The more themed and interactive queue will open on November 15th when the attraction re-opens from its multi-week refurbishment.

9/20/10As a result of further construction, FASTPASS ceased operation for the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh on September 17, 2010. FASTPASS will resume operation for this attraction on November 15th when the attraction re-opens from its multi-week refurbishment (which starts October 25th).

8/9/10
    As work continues in the area of the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, the queue has now been re-routed. The existing queue has closed for refurbishment and a temporary queue is being utilized until October 25th when the attraction closes for refurbishment. The attraction is expected to open from its scheduled refurbishment on November 15th with a drastically different queue.

7/9/10 On-going Fantasyland construction has recently affected the FASTPASS procedure for one of the area’s most popular attractions. The FASTPASS distribution area for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh closed on July 7th due to on-going renovations of the attraction queue. As a result of the closure, the near-by FASTPASS distribution area for Mickey’s Philharmatic has been re-opened and is being used to distribute FASTPASS’s for the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. It has yet to be announced when the FASTPASS distribution area at the Winnie the Pooh attraction will re-open.

Appetizing Additions

9/22/10
    Two of Animal Kingdom’s counter service restaurants have recently added some new items. Pizzafari in Discovery Island has added Antipasto Salad and Vegetable Pizza with Caesar Salad entrees to their menu. Restaurantosaurus in Dinoland has made a few menu changes. The Bacon Double Cheeseburger, Hot-Dog Osaurus, Vegetable Burger, and Madarin Chicken Salad have been removed from the menu. In their place, 1/3lb Angus Bacon Cheeseburger, Shrimp Po' Boy, Vegetable Sub with sweet-potato fries, and a house salad have been added. The house salad (named Dig Site Salad) contains Romaine lettuce, Beef Chili, Tortilla Chips, Corn Relish, and Cheddar cheese.

Bongo Booking

9/22/10
    Bongo’s Cuban Café at Downtown Disney Westside has been added to the Walt Disney World Dining Reservations System. Guests can now make Advanced Dining Reservations for this location via the phone line or the website for October 15th and beyond up to 180 days in advance. Previously, Guests needed to make a reservation through the restaurant directly or encounter a nice Disney Dining Reservationist who would place the reservation on behalf of the Guest.

Characterization

9/24/10
    In the past weeks there have been a number reports from Character Cast Members regarding additions to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and The Magic Kingdom. The Fab Five have been reported to begin a Meet & Greet in Hollywood Blvd area period costumes in part of the green space to the left of the Sorcerer Hat courtyard. Kermit the Frog has been reported to appear in an interactive Meet & Greet in the Muppet Courtyard. The long delayed Phineas & Ferb Meet & Greet at the Studios is now being reported to begin Spring 2011. Finally, Peg Leg Pete has been reported to be added to the Regular Operation line-up for Magic Kingdom Characters. The Sorcerer Hat Meet & Greet has been confirmed sans the specific character appearing, however; the remainder of these additions does not appear to be confirmed by any internal announcements at this time.

Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks Jason!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Thx!

Thx!

It's time to remember the magic!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, peg leg pete! Sounds good to me! Thank you Jason!
    "See, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is you'll never run out of Wishes. They're shining deep down inside of you. And that, my friends, is where the magic lives."Jiminy Cricket
    Our wish came true! Ellie 9/9/13

Post Thanks / Like

Phineas and Ferb and Pete! Plus Kermit!!! Can't Wait!
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really glad I had the Mandarin Chicken Salad in May. It was one of my favorite choices and was always on my "must have" list. I'll miss it on my next trip.
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Not at all liking the idea of replacing the graveyard in the HM! Those gravestones are tributes to the many Imagineers who worked so hard to bring Haunted Mansion to life. I find it a terrible, terrible disrespect to them (especially with virtually all being deceased) to remove them from the queue.

Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding and the gravestones will remain in some capacity.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Not at all liking the idea of replacing the graveyard in the HM! Those gravestones are tributes to the many Imagineers who worked so hard to bring Haunted Mansion to life. I find it a terrible, terrible disrespect to them (especially with virtually all being deceased) to remove them from the queue.

Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding and the gravestones will remain in some capacity.
    I agree 100% they are part of the story telling as well! I hope some lame interactive game to entertain the imaginationless masses does not take this away!
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

agreed! i always love walking by it!
    Just call me Jen ;)

2/11-8/11: WDWCP DHS Attractions - GMR
    Current - GMR/JTA/Star Tours

Previous Trips:
    10/21/10-10/24/10 - Halloween Party
    9/10/10-9/12/10 - Tink Weekend :D
    6/23/10-6/30/10
    March 2010
    March 2009
    10/24/08 - 10/25/08
    August, 2007
    Many, Many more....

Post Thanks / Like

Here lies brother claude, planted here beneath this sod.

Seriously, count me among the upset if they are gone or moved in the name of "interactivity". We've already seen the wonders of the black curtain and video screen in Spaceship Earth - interaction for interactions sake.

Reserving judgment - but skeptical.

Looks like fodder for the next INTERCOT Insider Live Ian....
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

I will be at Mk on Oct.19th and ds7 and I will be very sad if we can't see the graveyard. I love to look at everyones names on the gravestones

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously, why mess with the Haunted Mansion at all right now? It's had recent renovations (staircases, Bride's room) and it's darn near perfect in it's current state.

Oh, and btw, we rode Saturday night and I noticed for the first time a huge hand that's pointing left being reflected onto the back of the doom buggys as you come into the unloading area. I guess it's indicating which way to get out?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Looks like fodder for the next INTERCOT Insider Live Ian....
    I'd like to try and get some confirmation on this if we can. Anyone around who could go peek behind the walls?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to try and get some confirmation on this if we can. Anyone around who could go peek behind the walls?
    I'm going tonight and will try to sneak a peek.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no....I hope they didn't remove them from HM! Why did they have to mess with that queue for? There was nothing wrong with it
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joannelet View Post
    Oh no....I hope they didn't remove them from HM! Why did they have to mess with that queue for? There was nothing wrong with it
    I agree! I would much rather have my graveyard than any stupid "interactive" junk. I've never had to stand in that line long enough to really need anything to do anyway!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

A few semi-confirmed statements reported by those who have reportedly seen or been involved with the changes to the Haunted Mansion queue:

• New elements will be added to the existing graveyard area and a small new queue area.
    • The elements will be interactive in the sense that the April 2010 test was (ie no Spaceship Earth-esque touchscreens)
    • "Most" of the epitaphs will remain.
    • The changes are aimed to better incorporate the graveyard into the attraction's story (more so than its current incarnation).
    • The new items are intended to have "whimsical macabre" feel.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'll give it a chance. I can see how it might be cool. I wonder if they will be done in 42 days?
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Share This Thread On Social Media: