Quantcast Pleasure Island Re-Development Project Starting Toward Completion

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Pleasure Island Re-Development Project Starting Toward Completion

Notice of Commencement
    Document 20100605313

State of Florida
    County of Orange
    October 18, 2010

2. General description of improvements(s)

Pleasure Island/DTD RE-Development Project-Site Construction Trailer Mobilization

----------------------------------------------------------

Notice of Commencement
    Document 20100605314

State of Florida
    County of Orange
    October 18, 2010

2. General description of improvements(s)

Pleasure Island/DTD RE-Development Project-Overall Site Construction

Pleasure Island/Downtown Disney Re-Development Project Address List

Buildings

1. Motion - 1630 E. Buena Vista Drive, LBV FL 32830
    2. Beach Club-1620 E. Buena Vista Drive, #1, LBV, FL32830
    3. BET Sound Stage - 1560 E. Buena Vista Drive, LBV, FL 32830
    4. Adventurers Club- 1570 E. Buena Vista Drive, LBV, FL 32830
    5. Comedy Warehouse - 1580 E. Buena Vista Drive, LBV, FL 32830
    6. Portobellos - 1650 E. Buena Vista Drive, LBV, FL 32830
    7. Mannequins - 1600 E. Buena Vista Drive, LBV, FL 32830
    8. Raglan Road - 1640 E. Buena Vista Drive, LBV, FL 32830

Misc Areas

1. Service Yard between Portobellos and Raglan Road - 1650 E. Buena Vista Drive, LBV, FL 32830
    2. Area Development in front of Fulton's Crab House and Portobellos - 1650 E. Buena Vista Drive, LBV, FL 32830
    3. Fuego/Sosa Cigars - 1610 E. Buena Vista Drive, LBV, FL 32830
    4. Area Development between Comedy Warehouse & the demolished BET/Adventurers Club - 1550 E. Buena Vista Drive, LBV, FL 32830
    5. Archway Feature at Bridge 2 and possible alterations approaching Bridge 2 for Valet Parking - 1604 E. Buena Vista Drive, LBV, FL 32830

----------------------------------------------------------

Disney: Pleasure Island Plans Coming Soon

WESH 2 News
    October 19, 2010

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Disney has filed for two construction permits pertaining to Pleasure Island.

One of the permits appears to be asking to place construction trailers on the site. The other is for “overall site construction.”

One page of the permits ... lists buildings and miscellaneous buildings that would be affected by the construction. The list includes clubs like Motion and BET Sound Stage that haven’t been open since Disney shut them down in 2008.

A Disney spokeswoman confirmed to WESH 2 News on Tuesday that more details on the project would be made public within weeks.

In 2009 financial documents, Disney said changes to Pleasure Island would be complete in 2012.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

4. Area Development between Comedy Warehouse & the demolished BET/Adventurers Club
    Where's my hammer? Looks like we can nail that coffin shut...

Post Thanks / Like

How about just reopen it the way it used to be 10-15 years ago...it worked
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pleasure Island Re-Development Project Starting Toward Completion

Thanks Jason. It's about time they do something with this area. It's really a wasted space since they shut so much of it down. I look forward to learning more about the details of the refurbishment.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally Disney!!
    Let's get this area up and running again with SOMETHING!!!!
    Can't wait to hear more info!
    Thanks for the news
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Maybe it's just me, but this has to go down as one of the most mystifying decisions in WDW history.

They took what was working very well and mucked with it (thus violating the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" rule) trying to make even more money on what was an already incredibly profitable enterprise.

Then, when their decision fails miserably, instead of just reversing course and going back to what worked previously they decide to knock down the entire area, including one of the most popular attractions in the entire resort, in spite of massive guest protests??

It just really reinforces for me that WDW management has no clue what they're doing.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

But other than the Comedy Warehouse and the Adventurer's Club the rest of PI was dying slowly.

The other clubs almost always appeared near empty and the maintenance on them was lacking as well. I think it reached a point where TDO simply was waiting for the death nell.

Once they took away the admission ticket to PI...it really started declining quickly.

I'm excited to see what's ahead though! There's so much un-tapped potential there!
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." Edgar Allen Poe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Genius View Post
    Once they took away the admission ticket to PI...it really started declining quickly.
    I guess that was my point, though. They're the ones that decided to do away with the admission requirement, thus causing it to go downhill.

You'd think the response would (at least at first) be to re-institute the admission requirement before proceeding to tearing down the entire thing??

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Genius View Post
    I'm excited to see what's ahead though! There's so much un-tapped potential there!
    Wish I could share your optimism, but I'm fairly certain it's just going to be a bunch of retail stores. I can almost guarantee it will be nothing to get excited over.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Wish I could share your optimism, but I'm fairly certain it's just going to be a bunch of retail stores. I can almost guarantee it will be nothing to get excited over.
    If you read the details of the 'renovations', there is mention of a Valet Parking area to be installed....I would think this would not be necessary, or appropriate, for retail stores, but rather for some type of venue (or venues) that would bring in higher profile clientele....
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess that was my point, though. They're the ones that decided to do away with the admission requirement, thus causing it to go downhill.

You'd think the response would (at least at first) be to re-institute the admission requirement before proceeding to tearing down the entire thing??

Don't be so down. From what I read online, the Pleasure Island make over will be nice. Rumors are a nautical theme will be coming and a name change to Pleasure Island as well. Not retail stores. Don't worry.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    Don't be so down. From what I read online, the Pleasure Island make over will be nice. Rumors are a nautical theme will be coming and a name change to Pleasure Island as well. Not retail stores. Don't worry.
    1) From everything I have seen & heard, restaurants and shopping.
    2) Sure doesn't sound like fun to me.
    3) I thought the new name is Dis-Pleasure Island.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Ian on this one. Why would you "re-develop" a successful entertainment venue? Only if you can replace it with something more profitable. Seems like Disney is trying to make every square foot responsible for XYZ number of dollars. And dance clubs, comedy clubs and other entertainment areas just don't make the grade. I'm very pessimistic that what becomes of PI will be anything like what it was before. Retail stores and high turnover restaurants seem to be the only likely establishments.

I hope i am wrong. Think about it. If Magic Kingdom was nothing but a big store, no one would pay to get in. There must be entertainment value somewhere. Disney quality entertainment at that. Hopefully someone high up in management knows this. And gives us the fun we are looking and paying for. Hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope it's something other than shopping and restaurants, but like Ian and Rusty, I'm not holding my breath.

A gift shop (like the one across the street) and a restaurant on every corner (serving basically the same stuff as the one on the next corner) seems to be the direction of DTD. Hurray for homogenization!

Post Thanks / Like

Schussler Creative is supposedly the company Disney contracted with to do the redesign of Pleasure Island... The name change may have the word Harbour in it... Someone elsewhere was talking about a nautical themed restaurant called Mahogany Bay, but he also concedes that info is old and may be scrapped...

I guess we should just wait a few weeks and see what the announced changes are...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Schussler Creative is supposedly the company Disney contracted with to do the redesign of Pleasure Island...
    What ever happened to Imagineering doing these types of things?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    What ever happened to Imagineering?
    I think you should have cut it off right there.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Schussler Creative is supposedly the company Disney contracted with to do the redesign of Pleasure Island...
    Well since Schussler Creative is a restaurant and retail design firm, I'd say that puts any rumors of something interesting coming to bed.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Well since Schussler Creative is a restaurant and retail design firm, I'd say that puts any rumors of something interesting coming to bed.
    That is exactly what I thought when i looked them up... I'm thinking we will see a nautical themed restaurant, something like Rainforest Cafe or T-Rex since this company designed those restaurants too...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

That is exactly what I thought when i looked them up... I'm thinking we will see a nautical themed restaurant, something like Rainforest Cafe or T-Rex since this company designed those restaurants too...
    They also designed the Hot Dog Hall of Fame.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: