Quantcast Happy Meal Toy...the root of all EVIL

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Happy Meal Toy...the root of all EVIL

Question? How many times a month do your children (under 10) borrow the car keys and credit cards and drive themselves to McDonalds to eat an unhealthy meal ONLY to get a toy?

San Francisco seems to believe that "evil TOY" is contributing to the obesity problem...When my son was younger I didn't allow him to "drive" to McDonalds...I made him "walk" ...no no really...sometimes I actually DROVE him myself and upon occasion actually paid. After he ate...OMG...he blew off the cheap toy and headed for the tunnels..."Blast them" actually enticing my child with physically active playtime!
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of a classic line from from SNL.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Burns - The Company's Computer Guy
    "Oh, It's the computer that's stupid, not you, right?"

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking from experience (lived in the Bay Area for waaay too long), the folks in SF (as well as way to many in the rest of CA), seek to control behavior by attcking the wrong thing. It is funny, the things that they want to control vs the things that they don't. Happy Meal toys do not entice the children nearly as much as the tasty fat content

And it is the parents making the decisions, not the kids. My kids ask for fast food all the time and I have this magic phrase that solcves everything, it's goes like this "NO, but if you are that hungry, then I have a plate of leftover green beans and meat loaf from last night!"
    Last edited by Ian; 11-09-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: TOS
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTreeGal View Post

And it is the parents making the decisions, not the kids. My kids ask for fast food all the time and I have this magic phrase that solcves everything, it's goes like this "NO, but if you are that hungry, then I have a plate of leftover green beans and meat loaf from last night!"
    Nicely put!!!! I tell my kids "no it is not healthy".Everyone knows these foods are not healthy.

My kids never ask to go to Mickey d's for the toys. It's because they want the cheeseburger, french fries (yum) and chocolate milk. The toy is just an added bonus.(that lasts all of 10 min).

I think this is so ridiculous. This is a parenting issue not a toy issue.
    Last edited by Ian; 11-09-2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Add
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

The thing is, lots of "parents" don't know how to parent. They need someone making these kinds of rules because they otherwise don't know how to make good choices for their children.

I think WE can all agree that this is "stupid", but we are also generally a group of level headed, well educated, and street smart people, who "get it".
    Last edited by Ian; 11-09-2010 at 08:14 PM.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

*gasp* I occasionally ate happy meals as a child. I occasionally buy myself a happy meal now. Are they really all that bad?

Why do so few realize its all about moderation??
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I read about this a few months ago. I want to say that some family organization, or something like that, was trying to sue McDonalds to stop them from including toys with the Happy Meals because it entices children to be unhealthy. I think there was something about the packaging being too enticing as well. Crazy! We let our kids eat fast food from time to time as a treat, but it's up to us, not them and that's the key. If allowed, my daughter would eat junk food for every meal - with the occassional steak thrown in. I don't let her and that's my job. Everything in moderation!
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously, this is just too crazy. Second of all, if you ARE going to buy your child a Happy Meal, from my understanding they do offer "healthier" options. I'm not sure how much healthier they are, but hey, they're THERE! As everyone else has said, moderation is KEY!
    TTFN,
    Rose

1998 (10 YO & 1st time!)
    2002 (14 YO & 2nd time)
    June 12 2006 (18 & by myself!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White Rose View Post
    Seriously, this is just too crazy. Second of all, if you ARE going to buy your child a Happy Meal, from my understanding they do offer "healthier" options. I'm not sure how much healthier they are, but hey, they're THERE! As everyone else has said, moderation is KEY!
    The law is that toys will not be given if any happy meal has over a certain number of calories. If the child (or parent) choose the option with apples and milk versus soda and french fries the toy is in the meal. It can be used as a tool to encourage children to eat healthier.
    Last edited by Ian; 11-09-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Off topic
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    The law is that toys will not be given if any happy meal has over a certain number of calories. If the child (or parent) choose the option with apples and milk versus soda and french fries the toy is in the meal. It can be used as a tool to encourage children to eat healthier.
    Oh, wow! Thanks for this. I did not realize it was just excluding the option for the toy. Several news articles I read on it, simply said they were outlawing Happy Meals altogether.

I appreciate the correct info!
    Last edited by Ian; 11-09-2010 at 08:14 PM.
    TTFN,
    Rose

1998 (10 YO & 1st time!)
    2002 (14 YO & 2nd time)
    June 12 2006 (18 & by myself!)

Post Thanks / Like

I think offering the option for the toy is even worse! Now when I choose to "treat" my child to the occasional cheat, allowing them to eat mcdonalds. They do not get a toy because other parents could not say "no" to their kids!?? Ugh! I really hopethis does not make it my way!

I suppose apples and milk will make the hamburger and chicken nuggets healthy???

Ok Im done.That's my two cents.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Hope this doesn't happen all overmy youngest loves to get the toy,I mean what kid doesn't and most of the time he leaves half his fries anyways,eats 4 chicken nuggets and the milk/juice option;which is better than soda,but to skip giving the child a toy cause they didn't pick the "healthier" option someone else would prefer??C'mon!and I don't think anyone should judge another's parenting skills(unless unsafe)over food?!Every child is different/unique... some might prefer to eat what another doesn't.My 2 cents
    Dec 2010~Pop Century
    May 2008~Coronado Springs
    Sep 2005~Port Orleans(fq)
    Oct 2003~LBV
    April 2001~Allstar Sports

Post Thanks / Like

MODERATOR ALERT

Folks --- if this turns into a government bashing thread it will be closed. There are several topics we don't allow on this board and politics is one of them. There are forums on the Internet that are designed for this type of hot topic -- INTERCOT is not one of them.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: