Quantcast Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster Officially Announced - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The concept art is gorgeous, but I can't help but wonder how closely what the end up building will really be to it.

We've all seen WDI go in with the best intentions, only to have the rug pulled out from under them by the bean counters.
    Looks like the Storybook Circus section will make use out of the existing Big Top Tent. That should make the bean counters happy
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

guess it's not going to be a scary Mine Train ride like Dinosaur or Indiana Jones. Bummer
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Exciting news! Can't wait to see the end result!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Sounds great. Anybody have any idea where exactly the Seven Dwarfs' mine train attraction be located? On Google maps (satellite view) it appears that a lot of dirt is being moved around on the other side of the railroad tracks from the ToonTown Fair station. Could this be the possible location? There's also a lot of clearing going on well behind Small world, but that's so far out of the way, I have to believe that's going to be an employee parking lot/staging area.
    I heard from one of the train engineers that that construction beyond the train station was an employee parking lot and prep for the new train station. I don't know how accurate that is though.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Sounds great. Anybody have any idea where exactly the Seven Dwarfs' mine train attraction be located?
    Based on what I can discern from the concept art, my best guess is that's it's going to go roughly in the area where Ariel's Grotto and the old Pooh Playground were. Sort of behind where Dumbo is now.

But I expect that it's almost entirely going to be built on new land ... from what I can tell, they must be really expanding out beyond "the berm" and seriously cutting in to the backstage areas.

Here's a question ... is the Circus-themed area going to now be a part of Fantasyland? Or do you think it will remain sort of its own separate land?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have a guess as to whether the Mine Train will be a mild coaster like Thunder Mountain, or a coaster exclusively for little kids, like Barnstormer?

If it's like Barnstormer, I'll be disappointed to see Fantasyland becoming pretty much a "kiddie" area of the park that tweens, teens, and adults will feel like they have to skip.
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like all the communications stick with "Fantasyland Expansion," which implies we're not going to have a separate named area once it's done (fan references to "Circusland" notwithstanding).

I was reading the other day (must've been a D23 thing) about the actual circus at DLR that Walt presented over the holiday season of 1955. Sounds like it was an utter disaster (of the kind that doesn't really hurt anybody very much and makes great stories *afterwards*), and Walt was cured of his enthusiasm for circuses. Would be good if Disney honored its past (unlike what happened in Dinoland at AK) and stuck to what they know works.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

way cool plans! it will be fun over the next year or so watching Disney pull this one off!! I am sure it will give us all something to look forward to!
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The concept art is gorgeous, but I can't help but wonder how closely what the end up building will really be to it.

I mean, that's some seriously elaborate stuff there ... way beyond anything Disney has tackled of late. Either they've decided to really push the envelope here or I'm guessing that the concept art you're looking at will remain just that ... a concept.

Although again ... I absolutely am excited and am not going to make a final decision until I see this stuff for real. From what I've heard, the Carsland addition to DCA is going to be amazing in terms of the painstaking detail of the theming. Maybe this will be a similar undertaking at WDW.

Of course, we all know that this thing is only one budget cut away from becoming a disaster ... that's the one thing that prevents me from being too excited right now. We've all seen WDI go in with the best intentions, only to have the rug pulled out from under them by the bean counters.
    Funny...my daughter Madison LOVES the Guiness Book of World Records, and in the 2010 edition, it lists Expedition Everest as the most elaborate and costly roller coaster built in recent times. It gave all the specifics on time, cost, labor, etc.

Hopefully this project doesn't get shelved and it can reach it's full potential. It would be so exciting for all of us who LOVE the Magic Kingdom!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by valjane View Post
    Anyone have a guess as to whether the Mine Train will be a mild coaster like Thunder Mountain, or a coaster exclusively for little kids, like Barnstormer?
    If you go back a bit earlier in this thread (at least I think it's in this thread) our resident Imagineer, Mufasa, gives a little bit of insight into what to expect.

Sounds like it's going to be quite a bit different from the Barnstormer in the sense that it's not really going to be a "roller coaster", but more of a dark ride with some thrilled elements incorporated. He specifies it's going to have fully functional audio-animatronics (and not the static figures the old attraction had) and a lot of other neat goodies.

His description has me very excited for this and expecting a lot more than the Barnstormer!
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by valjane View Post

If it's like Barnstormer, I'll be disappointed to see Fantasyland becoming pretty much a "kiddie" area of the park that tweens, teens, and adults will feel like they have to skip.
    From everything I've seen about the ride technology potentially in use for the coaster, it should be a family coaster, more along the lines of a BTMRR, SM and Primeval Whirl, meaning that it will be thrilling, but not too thrilling as to exclude children.

The idea of the coaster cars tilting and moving along w/ the drops and turns of the ride makes me think it might be something similar to the Mack E-Motion Coaster seen here. These cars are designed to tilt from side to side or even forward and back along w/ the movement of the coaster car, so it feels more "out of control." I think this aspect alone will add some thrills, plus I imagine there will be lots of in the dark moments.

I think this was WDI's answer to the criticism of the new FL being too geared towards girls. This will give something thrilling for the boys to enjoy so it isn't all fairies and princesses.
    Recent Disney Trips
    -May 2007 (Pop Century)
    -Oct. 2007 (Saratoga Springs)
    -Dec. 2007 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Oct. 2008 (Caribbean Beach)
    -Feb. 2010 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2011 (AKL)
    -Feb. 2012 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Dec. 2012 (Coronado Springs)
    -Oct. 2014 (Coronado Springs)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JabberJaws View Post
    I think this was WDI's answer to the criticism of the new FL being too geared towards girls. This will give something thrilling for the boys to enjoy so it isn't all fairies and princesses.
    I think you're right, but that makes me think that choosing a Snow White theme was a bit odd. It's still a princess movie, after all. While yes it will be thrilling, will boys really want to go on a "princess ride."

I think I would have chosen something else ... I keep coming back to Cars. Why not a Cars attraction?? What does WDW have against Cars? It's without question the most popular boy franchise they've ever created, yet it's completely absent from WDW.

As the father of a 4 year old boy, it really irks me that they keep ignoring it. I have to travel across the country to take my son on a Cars ride??? Really???
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're right, but that makes me think that choosing a Snow White theme was a bit odd. It's still a princess movie, after all. While yes it will be thrilling, will boys really want to go on a "princess ride."

I think I would have chosen something else ... I keep coming back to Cars. Why not a Cars attraction?? What does WDW have against Cars? It's without question the most popular boy franchise they've ever created, yet it's completely absent from WDW.

As the father of a 4 year old boy, it really irks me that they keep ignoring it. I have to travel across the country to take my son on a Cars ride??? Really???
    Ian, I realize that everyone is talking about this as a "Snow White" attraction, but isn't the write-up more a "Seven Dwarves" attraction? Yes, I know - same movie, but maybe by keying on the dwarves, it will be more 'boy' oriented.

As far as anything Cars goes in MK, if they rethemed the Speedway, OK, but otherwise, keep anything NEW based on a Pixar movie in DHS, please. Since they have instituted Pixar Place, let MK be Disney and DHS be Pixar. When Laugh Floor and Space Ranger Spin are due for major rehab, move them (or not) to DHS and replace with something either Disney or "real" future related -- they are in Tomorrowland, after all.

JMHO!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info! Sounds great!
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

The Mine Car, if I am not mistaken, will be across from Pooh and where SWSA is now. I think the queue is supposed to, from my understanding, be across from Pooh. Beauty and the Beast will occupy the area once known as Ariel's Grotto, with Mermaid taking up a portion of that area and the old 20K site. The mine car will also take up 20K plot.

As for Storybook Circus, I'm assuming it will be its own land. There is an entrance way that leads into the land from Fantasyland, like how there is an entranceway from the Hub to Adventureland.

The lands in MK would be:
    1. Main Street USA
    2. Tomorrowland
    3. Storybook Circus
    4. Fantasyland
    5. Liberty Square
    6. Frontierland
    7. Adventureland

That way, they don't have to change the morning song lines "7 lands and more...."
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Very excited to see the new changes. Going to miss some of the old attractions, though.

My DDs will love the new princess meet and greets....
    --Heff

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    The Mine Car, if I am not mistaken, will be across from Pooh and where SWSA is now.
    No, the new princess meet and greet is going where SWSA is now. The press release mentioned that specifically.

RE: Cars in Tomorrowland vs. DHS ... I don't care where they put it, just so something with it for heaven's sake!

I mean really ... isn't a Cars overlay of the Speedway a no brainer?? What are they waiting for???
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I am so happy to hear about the new coaster- it will be great to get some new rides
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

No, the new princess meet and greet is going where SWSA is now. The press release mentioned that specifically.

RE: Cars in Tomorrowland vs. DHS ... I don't care where they put it, just so something with it for heaven's sake!

I mean really ... isn't a Cars overlay of the Speedway a no brainer?? What are they waiting for???
    Maybe I wasn't clear. I meant the Mine Car was going to be across the walkway from Pooh and SWSA. Not that the Mine Car was going into SWSA.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of thoughts.

First, whether or not this is some sort of response to the WW of Harry Potter, this is Fantasyland we are talking about. The heart of Magic Kingdom. Disney has closed, changed and rethemed many attractions over the decades. But this is different. Expanding and upgrading Fantasyland is very serious business. Any lame or half-hearted efforts could do serious damage to the the Magic Kingdom "brand". Disney knows this. And despite all the recent criticism of cutbacks, it looks like they are pulling out all the stops for this. I'm very impressed with the plans. A giant leap forward in my opinion.

Now, there is just one more void to fill at MK. And it appears they have the perfect opportunity.
    If only Gaston's Tavern sold .
    Last edited by MOJoe; 01-20-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: sp

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: