Quantcast PRICES are killing me, anyone else feeling it too? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How about Swan or Dolphin? Deluxe accommodations for a lower price.... And a great location.

Kathy
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I TOTALLY agree with you! It is NOT just about early planning, or wanting to stay in a Deluxe. Prices have gone up - WAY up in the last few years. One factor is the shrinking "Value" season. I counted for the upcoming year, and there are fewer than 30 days at the "value" price, whereas it used to be at least 3 times that. Where we used to be able to stay at a Moderate in non-peak seasons for 149, it is now 173 in May and October. There used to be "Value" and "Regular" - and now each of those is divided into different "tiers". There is now way around it - accomondation has definitely gotten much, much pricier and it is indeed keeping us from going for an extra year. In the long run, Disney is going to lose out on this! We used to go every 2 years - now it's going to be 3 or 4. They then lose all the money we spend on Parks, food, and souvenirs - etc. Seems like a lose-lose all the way around if you ask me.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, prices have been going up at a 3%-5% pace year-on-year, but so has the price on everything else -- food, clothing, gas, etc.

Just be glad that you can afford staying Deluxe when you visit. A lot of us can only afford a trip if we pool our pennies and stay in Value resorts during Value Season.

But, in all honesty, prices will continue to go up until there is a major blow-back from visitors -- Bookings for Deluxe accommodations MUST drop before prices will. The laws of Supply and Demand are in full effect at WDW -- as long as the Supply of Deluxe rooms is lower that the Demand for those rooms, prices will increase. Once Demand drops to match, or sink below, Supply, prices will drop....Not until that happens, though.
    Last edited by Ian; 02-14-2011 at 08:26 AM. Reason: TOS
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TikiGoddess View Post
    How about Swan or Dolphin? Deluxe accommodations for a lower price.... And a great location.

Kathy
    yeah...we love the swan and you can still get an easter week resort view two queen room (all fees/taxes included for 340 a night...not cheap by any means but a lot less that $500. (and the dolphin had room even less expensive...thou they are double beds instead of queens).
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe see if The Swan or Dolphin are available. They are a deluxe hotel with a moderate price.
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I like the Swan & Dolphin suggestion. I've stayed at both and they're pretty nice hotels. You definitely can't beat the atmosphere ... both are very picturesque and the location is awesome being smack dab between Epcot and the Studios.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You never know...you may book a room at a DVC resort or the Swan or Dolphin and really like it. It wouldn't be your normal vacation at the Poly, but it would be a new and something different.

I'm not someone who really welcomes change, I like what I like and do what I know kind of attitude, but I have been pleasantly surprised on a few occasions!!
    My attitude would be I'm willing to try something new if that means We can Go!!!!
    Hope it works out for you guys Lisa!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Easter week is like the second busiest week of the year. You're just not going to find discounts that week.
    Along these lines, don't give up Lisa! Last year, at the last minute, they opened up the Room Only discounts for Easter Week. I remember because we had to do a whole lot maneuvering to get our dates in the discount window (we were using the Military Room Only discount, and the dates from 3/27 on were blacked out, so we checked in on 3/26). HOWEVER, sometime around early March, if I recall correctly, Disney opened up the previously Blacked Out Easter days from ALL resort room only discount offers. So, we could have gone later than we did, if we had booked last minute, and still gotten the same discount.

We stayed last year the week prior to Easter (we left two days before Easter) because that was our kid's spring break. We stayed BC CL with a 40% discount.

Don't lose hope! If the resorts have lots of vacancy that week, they'll open up a discount last minute.

DH was asking me the other day when the kids spring break was this year, and when I told him, he said "I'm going to take off work that week." Secretly, I'm trying to sneak in a trip to WDW, IF they release room only discounts (our kid's break is April 18-22). We simply can't swing it any other way, the way we WANT to do it (Deluxe).
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa, I'll second what Natalie just said. My brother and his family were booked without a discount two years ago for Easter week. A few weeks before their trip I noticed that the window had opened and they were able to get a discount. I had forgotten about it till Natalie's post. I remember they wanted to upgrade from a value to a moderate, but another family that was going with them had booked through Expedia and couldn't move to another resort so they just took the discount and stayed at the value. But the discount definitely came out less than a month from their trip.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

The best solution is to change the date of your trip. Super-peak resort rates and crowd levels are not a good combination.

Utilizing room discounts at a deluxe resort during regular, or value season is the most economical option.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

While I would never say never in regards to discounts (anything can happen), given recent news I would not say that just because they discounted Easter Week last year and the year before that they're going to do it this year.

They definitely seem in tent on (to use their wording) "weaning guests off discounts" this year and, with attendance up at the end of 2011, I'd expect that to continue.

It could happen, but I'm just saying I'm not sure I'd make that your primary plan.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Everyones responses have been great. I will check for discounts constantly, and I checked dining for that week, just to see, and I could get everything if I wished, including Le Cellier and Ohanas. And every room category pops up at the deluxes as being available as well. So, we usually stay lagoon view club, at the Poly, and those rooms are going for $925/night!!! Who, tell me who, would even consider that? I am truly confused with these incredible prices. Its not a matter of can we, but why in the world would we?? Pay those sick prices for 5 of us shoved in one room. I'm feeling very unhappy with Disney for the first time, I think in forever.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa - I do not have any extra advice to offer, just wanted to send along good vibes that you are able to find a decent room rate and can make your trip!
    I agree that the price is outrageous, especially considering that everyone already knows at Disney you are paying more for location, location, location than true luxury/club level accommodations. And, I've yet to find any hotel room worth $925 a night, much less a Disney one!

I know Disney is still offering discounts. In fact, I've received 3 pin codes so far this year -- just not the week of Easter.

You may want to make your ADRs anyway in hopes of finding an acceptable room rate. You can always cancel. The fact that you can find ADRs and there are so many categories of room still available maybe indicates that bookings are down and the room prices will be more reasonable soon.

Best of luck! I hope your trip happens and your unhappiness with Disney fades!

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    Everyones responses have been great. I will check for discounts constantly, and I checked dining for that week, just to see, and I could get everything if I wished, including Le Cellier and Ohanas. And every room category pops up at the deluxes as being available as well.
    See, that's my reasoning as well. There seems to be a TON of availability at the resorts that week. Also, last year when we went, we were also able to make every ADR we wanted (although we missed most of them), something like 4 weeks out. EVERYTHING had availability.

And, to answer your question, NO ONE is dumb enough to pay "peak" prices. I think the ones who do simply don't know any better, and I bet they have so much money it doesn't even phase them.

I absolutely refuse to go over $450/night for a Disney resort room. I've not really even come close to that yet, due to ALWAYS getting a discount.

If I were you, I'd also make all the ADRs, buy plane tickets (on an airline that doesn't charge a change fee, like Jet Blue or offers credit for unused tickets, like Southwest). That way, you'll be covered if (when) they eliminate the blackout days around Easter.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

While I would never say never in regards to discounts (anything can happen), given recent news I would not say that just because they discounted Easter Week last year and the year before that they're going to do it this year.

They definitely seem in tent on (to use their wording) "weaning guests off discounts" this year and, with attendance up at the end of 2011, I'd expect that to continue.

It could happen, but I'm just saying I'm not sure I'd make that your primary plan.
    To counter that, I'd like to remind everyone that, as recently as last October, the "official" word regarding room discounts was "no more." No sooner had they announced an end to resort discounts did they release a slew of Free Dining dates for 2011. Since then, it's been almost laughable how much of 2011 has been discounted. That's when the new line of "phasing out discounts" came about. Things don't seem too much different, discount wise, than they were last year.

Disney might WANT to eliminate or phase out discounts, but at this point, that's going to be almost impossible. Unless they completely revamp their pricing structure, and admit that their rack rates are out of line (which I'm SO sure they're willing to do), they will need to keep prices at the level where supply and demand dictate. If they eliminate discounts and remain priced the way they are, they will lose a LOT of business. At this point, it's quite obvious that the only way they can fill up the resorts during particular times of year is to offer discounts. Without them, they will either lose occupancy off site resorts, or people will simply not come as often.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Disney will continue to raise prices and shorten the Value season until their numbers start dropping.
    We can't skip eating, buying gasoline or paying utility bills, but we can skip or downsize vacations.

After going for 20 years, my daughter has stopped going to WDW with her family of 4. It's gotten so expensive for them to take the kids to the parks, now that both are paying adult admission.

I've been coming down every year since 1992, and I will miss my annual dose of WDW because of rising prices.

Bye, Mickey!
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

Question

I can't help it, I just have to jump and ask -- what does a "club room" get you that you don't get with a regular deluxe room? A regular room at Poly is $540/night Easter week, and even that seems crazy for just a room with two beds and a place for your clothes. But $975?? YIKES!! My family of 4 could stay VERY comfortably at CBR for $240/nt Easter week... what in the world would push a room into the $500 range?? Accessibility to the monorail is nice, but you still have to wait for it... I've waited just as long for a monorail ride as I have for a bus.

Just curious, b/c if I had to choose b/w a trip and downgrading to a moderate or "regular" deluxe room, you can bet I'd still go, no questions asked!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me started on Disney's "club level" accomodations ... outside of some free munchies you get basically zip in terms of added benefit.

The rooms are the same size, the club level staff can't do anything special for you in terms of reservations or event tickets, and you don't really get any better service than you do in a regular room (since anywhere you go outside the resort no one knows you're a "club level" guest).

Oh but wait they do have special club level check-in services available, so if that and some free snacks are worth an extra $475 a night to you then have at it!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me started on Disney's "club level" accomodations ... outside of some free munchies you get basically zip in terms of added benefit.

The rooms are the same size, the club level staff can't do anything special for you in terms of reservations or event tickets, and you don't really get any better service than you do in a regular room (since anywhere you go outside the resort no one knows you're a "club level" guest).

Oh but wait they do have special club level check-in services available, so if that and some free snacks are worth an extra $475 a night to you then have at it!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    Hi all,
    I used to be a frequent intercot flyer as you all know...but have been on the down low recently, life has been really busy!!! Anyways...we are thinking of an Easter trip..my DH proposed an Easter trip to me over Valentines dinner last night. Now I'm entirely frustrated. The prices for accomodations have gone through the roof. How can I justify these prices..just for the ROOM??? I can not believe how much this Easter trip would cost us. We are a family of five that stays deluxes..DH would not be happy at a mod or value. He is used to a certain way, and doesnt want to do things differently. We spend alot of time at the resort and love the downtime there in between parks and in the evening. Where we stay is very important to us. We are Poly People and I just can't see this happening with these prices during this week. How does anyone else pull off Easter week? I just can't justify it, and I want to!
    Well, the choice seems easy to me; you can either downgrade hotels to a moderate and hope a discount comes out and uprgade at that time or you cane stay at home....

Why not check out a disney cruise?
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1