Quantcast PRICES are killing me, anyone else feeling it too? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh believe me, we're not even considering a club level room this time. Ridiculous for sure. The only mod that fits our family of five is POR, and my kids are bigger, (they will be 17,15, and 11 at time of travel)..we'd be smooshed. No thank you. I'm saying even the regular deluxe rooms are a fortune as well. A small fortune. We have been to Disneyworld since the kids were beans, we have always stayed Deluxe, this fits/suits our family well. Now Disney has jacked the prices so much its not even a little affordable to stay the way we always have?? Its the exact same vacation!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    Now Disney has jacked the prices so much its not even a little affordable to stay the way we always have?? Its the exact same vacation!
    This drives me crazy too! Why should a room cost vary so much. It's the SAME ROOM!!!!

I say, Disney should institute THREE prices for all their resorts. Weekday, Weekend, Holiday (like, you know, the way the rest of the hotel industry operates). Open the booking up 365 days in advance, and watch the law of supply and demand operate. I bet you if they did this, and the price matrix was in line with other hotels (plus a healthy increase for the "location" argument), they'd have their resorts close to 100% occupied during the entire year. They wouldn't have to play this discounts game anymore.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't read every response, so this may have already been suggested, but have you ever considered getting a villa at Saratoga Springs? It's the least expensive deluxe resort and, in my opinion, it's the nicest and cleanest.
    Two things You told me: That You are strong, and You love me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Don't get me started on Disney's "club level" accomodations ... outside of some free munchies you get basically zip in terms of added benefit....

The rooms are the same size, the club level staff can't do anything special for you in terms of reservations or event tickets, and you don't really get any better service than you do in a regular room (since anywhere you go outside the resort no one knows you're a "club level" guest).

Oh but wait they do have special club level check-in services available, so if that and some free snacks are worth an extra $475 a night to you then have at it!
    I agree with you wholeheartedly on the "value" of the club level rooms...we have been fortunate enough over the years to get free upgrades on multiple occasions. The only time we paid was for an anniversary stay at the WL and that was deeply discounted. (We do tend to make the most of the food offerings though and are able to skip breakfasts and sometimes another meal a day during our stay to cut some other costs out)

However, for $425 a night in savings you could book a regular room and order room service for breakfast, afternoon beverages and even a late-night snack and still come out ahead--even with the super high costs of disney delivery.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    Oh believe me, we're not even considering a club level room this time. Ridiculous for sure. The only mod that fits our family of five is POR, and my kids are bigger, (they will be 17,15, and 11 at time of travel)..we'd be smooshed. No thank you.
    You're right... you'd be smooshed! We're figuring by the time our girls are in their teens, we'll be wanting bigger accomodations, as well... and we've only got 2. Yikes... makes me think more about the whole DVC thing, but that's a whole OTHER conversation...

Have you thought about the family suites at Pop?? I know nothing about them, haven't ever seen them and don't know anyone who's used them, but maybe they'd be an idea, just to have an Easter getaway??

I feel for you on the whole pricing thing having gone haywire... I wasn't aware they'd jumped that significantly, as we don't usually travel during peak times. Good luck... I hope you find an answer!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me started on Disney's "club level" accomodations ... outside of some free munchies you get basically zip in terms of added benefit.

The rooms are the same size, the club level staff can't do anything special for you in terms of reservations or event tickets, and you don't really get any better service than you do in a regular room (since anywhere you go outside the resort no one knows you're a "club level" guest).

Oh but wait they do have special club level check-in services available, so if that and some free snacks are worth an extra $475 a night to you then have at it!
    For $475 a nite those snacks had better be AWFULLY tasty!!
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    See, that's my reasoning as well. There seems to be a TON of availability at the resorts that week. Also, last year when we went, we were also able to make every ADR we wanted (although we missed most of them), something like 4 weeks out. EVERYTHING had availability.

And, to answer your question, NO ONE is dumb enough to pay "peak" prices. I think the ones who do simply don't know any better, and I bet they have so much money it doesn't even phase them.

I absolutely refuse to go over $450/night for a Disney resort room. I've not really even come close to that yet, due to ALWAYS getting a discount.

If I were you, I'd also make all the ADRs, buy plane tickets (on an airline that doesn't charge a change fee, like Jet Blue or offers credit for unused tickets, like Southwest). That way, you'll be covered if (when) they eliminate the blackout days around Easter.
    Hey you. I took your advice. Booked plane tkts I have been watching prices and they've been going up and up, so I locked it in. If we have to change it, we change it., but we're set for Easter week right now, and I booked ADR's as well. Not alot, but Easter dinner at Ohanas, Cali Grill, Cape May, La Hacienda, and a few others. If we don't go, I'll cancel. So...just need a place to stay...This is risky business, I tell ya', never planned a trip to WDW like this before. Its bizarre for sure. I'm sure I'm in a fantasy world in my own head thinking they might actually release an Easter wk discount..but I will hold out..since every single category of each resort is open right now. If they don't, I'll get creative..perhaps a split stay will help??? Where and how I don't know yet.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Hope it works out. Just remember, you can always downgrade to a Mod and "Slum" with the rest of us...
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Lisa! I'm sure something will come along that will work for you!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!! Those prices are just... Hope you're able to work something out so you can make your trip happen. A family suite at one of the values? A cabin at Ft. Wilderness? Adjoining rooms at a moderate? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your able to get a spring break discount!

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with the planning. I hope it works out for you. Have you considered 2 moderate rooms. It still may be cheaper than one at the poly. We own DVC and stay in the villas which are plenty big. Maybe try renting points from a member.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

They definitely seem in tent on (to use their wording) "weaning guests off discounts" this year and, with attendance up at the end of 2011, I'd expect that to continue.
    I agree with this also. I've read it elsewhere a couple of times. But I did also go and quote for late Sept when they are still offering a disc; for 8 nights at AKL & 5 day base for 2 adults came to about $2200. And no DP.

Quote Originally Posted by johnO View Post
    Hope it works out. Just remember, you can always downgrade to a Mod and "Slum" with the rest of us...
    I love the Mods.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa,

I have good friends that are Poly people as well. Family of five, fit nicely in the rooms at the Poly. We all went together for Spring Break of 2009, and they ended up getting 2 rooms at the Port Orleans French Quarter, as prices were really high, and they found they really liked having the extra bathroom, and room. It was a good amount less. Might be something to consider.

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    Lisa,

I have good friends that are Poly people as well. Family of five, fit nicely in the rooms at the Poly. We all went together for Spring Break of 2009, and they ended up getting 2 rooms at the Port Orleans French Quarter, as prices were really high, and they found they really liked having the extra bathroom, and room. It was a good amount less. Might be something to consider.

Julie
    That is a great suggestion. However, looking at Easter week prices, two rooms at a moderate are around the same price as a garden view room at the Poly. At that point you may as well just stay where you really want. I was thinking two rooms at a moderate would be way less too, but not so during Easter week. The prices all around are over the top for that week.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Easter Price

Hi
    Yeah, if you want to go Easter you gotta pay. That is one of the busiest weeks of the year and they will get that price from someone!! We have DVC at Bay Lake Tower and the points are the highest that week and xmass. Good Luck. I was there once at Easter and it is great.. the parade is awesome.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain. If it weren't for the Swan/Dolphin offering deep discounts we would not be able to go every year. We are a family of 5 and that leaves us with very few options (POR) other than the deluxe resorts. I have always felt Walt would have been disgusted with the fact a family of 5 cannot stay at a value or moderate resort without getting a suite or two rooms which most can't afford. Now the Deluxe Disney owned resort rates are out of control. I remember a few years ago the Grand Floridian rooms were $500/night and everybody thought that was elite. Now $500/night at any deluxe is a bargain! We are going the week of March 13th and no deluxe resorts available for 5 people under $450/night. We got the Dolphin for $169/night. If they ever get on board with the Disney resorts I don't know what we will do.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

We usually use an AP rate, as we stay Deluxe also. What I have found this year, is that the rack rate has increased some $70.00 at the poly for a Garden View room. Sooo...even with the AP discount, not seeing as much of a savings as we have previously. Where as last May we had a garden view room for $238.00 tax included. Not so this year. In fact, they haven't offered AP rates for that time period yet. The regular public discount offered is 35 % but they have raised the rate of a garden view room to $470.00, so again, even with the discount, it's still a pricey stay.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

You are right: It is SO expensive. We usually stay club level at the Poly, and we looked into staying there during the first week in April, but the prices were outrageous. It was about $3000 for 4 nights and 3 day tickets, with the spring discount, which worked out to about $625 a night for just the room! By comparison, we spent 5 nights at the Poly the week before Christmas this year, and we had 4 day park hoppers, and we paid about $2,200 (or about $325/night after tickets). Even the non-club rooms at the Poly for that first week in April were over $500 a night.

We originally booked our April trip at the Wilderness Lodge in a woods view room, but that was going to cost us about $1300 for 4 nights (room only), even with the discount. We finally decided to switch to the Swan. We're getting an educator discount rate there of $189 a night. We decided that, for the monetary difference (a savings, with taxes, of about $400), since we were only getting a regular room at the Wilderness Lodge and wouldn't have direct monorail access, which is a major reason we like the MK deluxes, it was worth it to stay at the Swan. We've stayed there before and thought it was lovely, and we enjoy the boardwalk area and the boat service to Epcot, where we can then catch a monorail to the MK via the TTC.

Post Thanks / Like

The Swan and Dolphin is a good suggestion or how about a cabin at Fort Wilderness? If push comes to shove you can always try some of the Downtown Disney hotels, I've had some friends get really good deals on those.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

And, I think the Swan/Dolphin are running a special where you pay less than $100 for a connecting room. So, you could get two rooms for less than the price of one at a Disney deluxe. You don't have the same themeing that you do at a Disney hotel, but the Swan/Dolphin are Westins, and they have some good restaurants, and we love the boat service. Plus, you can walk to the Boardwalk shops and restaurants or to Epcot and the Studios. It's a great location!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: