Quantcast Items you pack that save you money - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Disposable rain ponchos!
    ]1990-CBR:Honeymoon
    1995 Dixie Landings Ann.
    1998 AS Music
    1999 AS Movies
    2003 Dixie Landings/Polynesian
    2005 POR
    2006 Swan
    2008 POR
    2010 Beach Club 20yr
    2011 Hilton Bon Cr Marriott World Ctr Boardwalk
    2013 Disneyland Hotel
    2016 AS Music
    2019 Pop 2022 Wyndham Lake Buena Vista

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheap rain ponchos from the dollar store (2 in a pack for $1), batteries (although pretty much everything now is rechargeable), and when we drive, we stop at the local Walmart for a grocery run - milk, water, coffee creamer, and a few breakfast items and snacks.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I too pack most of the popular aforementioned items, I was surprised to see how many of us bring extra hangers! Which made me think of the "new" item that I packed last year that was a wonderful time saver! Downy Wrinkle Release! I'm a neurotic ironer, not so much on vacation, but you can't pack all those clothes in a suitcase & expect them to come out looking like they did when they went in! LOL With the help of the extra hangers, I have everyone pick out their clothes the night before & I spray some of the Downy WR, a few tugs here & there & they look great in the morning! I even hang some of the shorts using the skirt hanger clips or the clothes pins I bring with!

One thing that I didn't see mentioned in this thread, but I got the tip on here a few years ago, is one of those over the door shoe bags! This is HUGE for us! It has dozens of clear pockets & I sort everyone's personal toiletries, etc, the items we use everyday, & it keeps us from leaving it all out on the tiny counter or tossing back into the bag just to have to dig for it again! This is a time saver for us every morning & night!

I'm taking one new item when we go next month, a small fold up drying rack for all of those wet beach towels & bathing suits! I figure we never have enough room for those & we all get tired of taking them down for all to shower & then hang them all up again! I figure I can fold it & stow it under the sink or on the top shelf of the closet area if/when we don't need it!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Westchester County, New York (NYC for work)
    Post Thanks / Like

Food and drinks for the park, of course. You can save HUNDREDS!
    1978 - I have no idea, I was 5.
    1997 - (August) Carribean Beach with the guys.
    2003 - (December) Offsite for 2 weeks, ultimate honeymoon destination.
    2007 - (May) Marriott Courtyard for 2 days before a cruise.
    2010 - (September) Marriott's Sabal Palms. Gosh it was hot.
    2011 - ??

Post Thanks / Like

Save money on those light-up toys that your kids beg you for while waiting for the fireworks-- go to the dollar store and buy glow bracelets. I usually buy more than we need and we pass them out to nearby families.

Bring some ziploc bags. Handy for just about anything -- we like to get fruit and muffins from the breakfast buffet at Crystal Palace and have them for later.

Buy trading pins online before going to WDW. You can get pins for about $2-$3 each and have them to trade with other guests and CMs.

We make our own WDW t-shirts every year instead of buying them. The craft stores in our area have shirts for about $5 apiece (then use the 40% coupon). We use craft paint and our imaginations. Voila, matching custom t-shirts.

One year I tried saving money by buying spray fans at Walmart. They broke so quickly! We splurged and bought the WDW fans that year, and we've been using those every trip since. Some things you have to spend money on.
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

last trip I was determined to do it on the way cheap. We drove from NJ and had a 2br value at AKLV. I brought my crock pot and cooked dinner most nights. Easy stuff, like hot dogs, sandwiches, spaghetti (even brought my homemade spaghetti sauce!), sausages, chili. I brought all the food and went to the store when we got there for milk, eggs, etc. We had breakfast in the room and packed sandwiches and snacks for the afternoon.

I have also packed a case of water (loose bottles) in my suitcase. I just stuff the bottles in whereever there is room. Just watch the weight of your bags.

In the parks, I use a Kleen Kanteen stainless steel water bottle. I stop anywhere and everywhere that sells fountain drinks and ask for a large cup of ice and just keep adding it and it keeps melting. Ice cold water, all day long.
    COUNTLESS times as a kid
    92, 93, 95, 97, 98, 00, 03 (Honeymoon), 06 off site
    94 CB
    9/07 ASM
    2/08, 9/08,11/08, 5/09, 9/09, 8/10, 8/11 Pop
    7/09 SSR
    1/10, 7/10 BWV
    11/10, 5/12 AKLV
    1/12, 8/12, 2/13, 6/13 OKW

upcoming trips
    12/13 AKLV

DVC owner at AKLV and SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belster View Post
    My question is...are there any items that you pack for Disney World that save you money while you are there?

My number one thing is medicine....if you ever need it you would pay a bundle for it there. What are your money saving items?
    Besides any medicinal items you can anticipate, I always go to the dollar store and buy ponchos for the water rides (Splash Mountain and Kali River Rafts).
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy ponchos ahead of time from Walmart for those pop-up showers. They only cost about a dollar - much cheaper than a Mickey poncho. I also throw one on for water rides - I hate walking around in wet clothes. Then I just put the used poncho in a ziploc bag in case I need it later.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

Two items I went and bought AFTER returning from our last trip are ... a hand held luggage scale and a compact foldup nylon duffle bag.

Can anyone guess why? Ding ding ding! Rushing to pack the morning of departure, one of the suitcases was overweight and we were promptly gouged the "idiot" fee

Hubby was able to contact the airline (he's a frequent flyer) and get off on a technicality obtaining a refund but I'm STILL ready for next time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LisaP View Post
    Two items I went and bought AFTER returning from our last trip are ... a hand held luggage scale and a compact foldup nylon duffle bag.
    I bought one of the luggage scales a while ago and have found it to be very helpful!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

whats the rules for bringing OTC medication on the plane as carryon? do you need to original packaging or will just putting them in a ziplock back be okay? (not the same bag as that 3-1-1 liquid)
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    1. Cheap, dollar rain ponchos.

$20 Wal-Mart umbrella stroller. Renting a stroller is outrageous, and they're not comfortable for the kids anyway. umbrella strollers are cheap, more comfortable, easy to fold up and store/carry, and are less bulky.
    When we go for a week I always get one of these strollers. Then I load all our water bottles, jackets, anything that is not valuable and then I push it around and leave it in a central stroller parking area. ( and no I don't have a child in it)This is especially wonderful at EPCOT. I also bring a large garbage bag to put over it if it is raining ( something I learned to do years ago when the girls would get a wet bottom after a Florida afternoon shower)

and I bring cherrios granola bars and nuts to snack on since we normally just eat one bog meal a day
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brivers222 View Post
    whats the rules for bringing OTC medication on the plane as carryon? do you need to original packaging or will just putting them in a ziplock back be okay? (not the same bag as that 3-1-1 liquid)
    TSA rules can be found here.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We do many of the thing already posted....

Another item that I don't think was mentioned yet is that we bring our Disney park purchased light up toy things every year. If the batteries go out, you can go to any of the light toy carts while waiting for a night parade or fireworks and they will replace the batteries for free. At least I think they still do this.

We also bring our own toilet paper - ah the comforts of home.

Also, the flushable wipes instead of wet wipes now since they are smaller and we are all potty trained now!

I pack the kids clothes hanging to help with unpacking time.

We buy surprise sovienears from the dollar store, disney store (on clearance), halloween time when cheaper costume things are out.

I buy disney iron ons and make our own shirts.

And while its not something I pack, but, something we practise... For lunch in the parks, a few days out of our vacation, we order a double cheeseburger + extra bun + a great fixin's bar and have 2 meals for the price of one.

We drive so we are able to bring more.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Pins: If you are a pin trader, but them on eBay for about $0.85 each now.

Medicine: If you have prescription or a definite need, buy them and pack them at home. If it is only an emergency need, then it is not outrageous at WDW. Yes, a little more, but not 5x.

Sancks/B'fast: As others have stated, these get packed in DD's suitcase. Her clothes take up 1/3 and this stuff takes up 2/3.

Gum/Candy: It is not cheap at WDW. If you want it, bring it. Gum is not sold in the parks at all I believe.

Electronics: Memory cards, batteries, cables, chargers, etc. If you have something you need, it is not cheap at WDW.

LED Flashlights: I get several of the one bulb, versions for dark rides. DD may get scared. The flashlight on the phone, regular flashlight are too bright. These little ones can be covered up to only give enough off not to be scared.

Pool toys/glow lights: I get a blow up beach ball for each day and leave it in the pool area for others. I also get the glow bracelets and necklaces to save a ton.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    Gum/Candy: It is not cheap at WDW. If you want it, bring it. Gum is not sold in the parks at all I believe.
    Gum is not sold on Disney property period! It never has been. In her younger days, my daughter was a gum chewer and always made sure to have a stash with her whenever we headed to Disney World.

On our last trip, we heard folks asking for gum in the store at Animal Kingdom Lodge. They seemed very surprised that none was available.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Gum is not sold on Disney property period! It never has been. In her younger days, my daughter was a gum chewer and always made sure to have a stash with her whenever we headed to Disney World.

On our last trip, we heard folks asking for gum in the store at Animal Kingdom Lodge. They seemed very surprised that none was available.
    I am not a gum chewer so I have never noticed that! Is there a reason for not selling gum?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I am not a gum chewer so I have never noticed that! Is there a reason for not selling gum?
    Most likely due to the fact of what folks do with their gum when they are done chewing it...spit it on the ground, stick on something, etc...

Dried up gum on everything is ugly and takes a lot of labor to remove after it has dried on something.

SMSP

Post Thanks / Like

Hand held luggage scales and my DVC card are a must !!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

disposable ponchos from walmart 88 cents, snacks (pringles, cheese and crackers) breakfast foods like little bites muffins aspirin, etc. the best thing you can do is print up the walt disney world packing list so you dont forget the essentials. you would be amazed by how many people im sure left deodarant or toothpaste at home. those are the things you dont want to be purchasing on vacation. they know you need them so they charge a nice premium.
    Next trip sept 23- thru oct 1 2013 for my sons first trip ever at 28 months.
    Carribean beach. Mnsshp, hhn, seaworld 4 disney parks 2 waterparks rented a car got photopass plus. Im ready

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: