Quantcast Locks of Love

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Locks of Love

Post Thanks / Like

Default Locks of Love

My daughter's school is having a Locks of Love event at her school next week. She wants to donate her hair. It is down to her butt right now. I am all for it if she really want's to do it. She loves her long hair, but only wears it in a single braid presently. This event is at lunch time. I just don't want them cutting her hair and then go to the salon later for a fix up. I will be calling the school later about that info.

Has anyone donated to Locks of Love? Any experiences to share?
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, one of my SIL's is a stylist and is called upon to assist with Locks of Love events. Typically you will have professional stylists who are familiar with the protocol & will style the donor's hair after it is cut according to their liking.

I would definitely make certain if your daughter is doing this she knows what style she's looking for post-cut. Otherwise you may be going back to the salon for a re-shaping!

It's a very touching and worthwhile organization - hats off to your daughter for wanting to give to others.

An an afterthought, I would definitely call the school to ensure that they have a crew of professional stylists coming in to donate their time - and not the home ec teacher or something.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Another option might be to go to your preferred salon, and let them know you want to donate the hair. They usually cut it off after it's been braided anyway, and then your daughter can simply take it to school to donate on that day. That way, she can have her hair re-cut at the salon beforehand.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, Locks of Love is not the organization that they present themselves to be. It's true that they do provide wigs for children who have lost their hair due to illness or treatment for illness but having a daughter with Alopecia (an autoimmune disease that causes hair loss), I can tell you that they do not provide those wigs free of charge in many cases. Instead, they charge based on ability to pay (I have no problem with that) but what they do charge is outrageous. My daughter has not fully lost her hair but it is thin enough that she likes to wear a wig. We purchased a human hair wig for her through a local reputable salon for $800 at full cost. The same wig through Locks of Love would be $3000 - $4000 at full cost. In my daughter's case, they would not even provide us with a human hair wig - it would have been synthetic hair, not great for children (think of a Barbie doll after a few weeks) - because she's not fully bald. There are other organizations out there that do the same thing for free if you have the time to research them. It's still a good cause but just not what most people think.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    Honestly, Locks of Love is not the organization that they present themselves to be. It's true that they do provide wigs for children who have lost their hair due to illness or treatment for illness but having a daughter with Alopecia (an autoimmune disease that causes hair loss), I can tell you that they do not provide those wigs free of charge in many cases. Instead, they charge based on ability to pay (I have no problem with that) but what they do charge is outrageous. My daughter has not fully lost her hair but it is thin enough that she likes to wear a wig. We purchased a human hair wig for her through a local reputable salon for $800 at full cost. The same wig through Locks of Love would be $3000 - $4000 at full cost. In my daughter's case, they would not even provide us with a human hair wig - it would have been synthetic hair, not great for children (think of a Barbie doll after a few weeks) - because she's not fully bald. There are other organizations out there that do the same thing for free if you have the time to research them. It's still a good cause but just not what most people think.
    I have heard the same thing as well as other things from one of the mom's in my DD's girl scout troop.

That is why I put it out here to see what other's have heard. I can't remember the group my friend donated to, but it was not Locks of Love.
    Marci

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That's good to know! Two of my nephews have donated to Locks of Love in the past. They grew their hair out so long and then donated it. My nephew that is graduating next week is donating again at my neice's school. I didn't know they charged that much for the wigs - that's a bit extreme!
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

Just got the info from my DD. The flyer is promoting two organizations: Locks of Love and Pantene Beautiful Lenghts (that is the one my friend donated to).

The hair will be cut by licensed hair stylists and providing very minimal hair trimming.

If Jessica does donate it will be to the Pantene Beautiful Lenghts. They only require a minimum of 8 inches of hair, while Locks of Love requires 10 inches of hair. I at least want my DD's hair to be past her shoulders so it can be put into a ponytail.

Has anyone heard anything about Pantene Beautiful Lengths?
    Marci

Post Thanks / Like

The Pantene program is supposed to provide their wigs at no charge to their clients although I believe that they do so only for adult women. Still, I think it's the better program.

I do want to thank all of you who do donate your hair to create human hair wigs. It takes about 6 people to donate in order to make 1 wig. For those of us who have benefitted from those who donate, we appreciate it very much!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I am sad to hear that about Locks of Love. I've donated my hair twice. Many salons give you a cut and style free of charge when you donate. I can't believe they are selling wigs for that much to people in need. It seems shady.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter did it once. We went to a hairdresser, it made her feel so wonderful inside, she is a very caring person and today she is all grown up and a nurse, plus a wonderful mother. It is great your daughter wants to do that. But I would be prepared to take her to a salon afterwards, just in case. I am sure they will try to do a good job though.

Post Thanks / Like

For those interested, there are other organizations out there who do provide wigs for free. The Pantene one mentioned provides them free for adult women. Wigs for Kids provides wigs free for children under 18. You can also do a google search or contact those organizations involved with cancer and alopecia to find others. Again, those of us who have received human hair wigs appreciate it very much. Ours has made such a difference in my daughter's life.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know! I have a friend who's daughter wants to donate her hair. I'll make sure to pass all this info on to them.

Post Thanks / Like

My sister has grown out her hair and donated to Locks of Love a couple of times. It's a shame to hear they mis-represent themselves like that. I thought the wigs went to needy people at no cost. If they sell wigs for that much, are they really considered a charitable organization?

There is a teen in my son and daughters martial arts class. This kid has the curliest hair. He grew his hair out for over a year until he had this big mass of curly hair on his head. He then participated in a fund raiser where they asked for donations to go towards cancer research. In turn the participants would have thier head publicly shaved at a final event. This kid grew his hair out like that just to do an event like this. With that big mass of hair people were donating left and right to see it get shaved off and he raised a ton of money.

It so beautiful to see people, especially kids/teens, who make sacirifices, and selflesly fund raise to support deserving causes. People who look for nothing in return but the knowledge they have made a positive impact on someone who may be going through a very scary, difficult, and emotionally draining stage in their life.

You should be very proud of your daughter for having such compasion for others to want to help.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Default She did it... smip smip

Today was the big day. Jessica did donate her hair to Pantene Beautiful Lennghts.

It was at lunch time at school. All the kids were watching and cheering on all those kids, teachers, and parents who donated.

Before she donated she was too nervous and excited so she never ate her lunch. When it was her turn she just sat down and snip snip it was done. She ended up donating over 12 inches of hair. Her hair now is just past her shoulders. It was cute when she commented on how light her head feels now.

She was so proud and smiling. I can tell she was proud that she donated and I am proud of her for doing so. It was kind of bitter sweet for me. The last time I cut her hair was when she was in kindergarten, she is now in 5th grade. All the kids who donated really beaming. Even one boy donated his locks.

I am glad she was able to participate in such a worthy event.
    Marci

Post Thanks / Like

Tell her that an 11 year old girl who has received just such a wig and her mother thank her!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    Today was the big day. Jessica did donate her hair to Pantene Beautiful Lennghts.

She was so proud and smiling. I can tell she was proud that she donated and I am proud of her for doing so.

I am glad she was able to participate in such a worthy event.
    Yay Jessica!!!

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Jessica!!! So glad she was able to give up her long hair for a worthy cause!!!!

Thanks!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to put Jessica's donation pics here but can't get them loaded to photobucket. I have them on Twitter if you have an account , I am @Disney4us2
    Marci

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: