Quantcast If you had one bit of advice, what would it be?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb If you had one bit of advice, what would it be?

Alright Intercoters, I've got an upcoming vacation with my wife to WDW. We are pretty excited about this trip, because it is our first trip together as a married couple to WDW. She went a couple of times as a kid. I have been quite a few times.
    One tradition that My Dad started a few trips ago was creating a book for each of the travelers. This has become a very elaborate operation over the past few years. I've decided that I'm going to make one for myself and my wife. This is where you guys come in.

I've got the normal information in this book already. Park hours, maps, menu's, flight info , hotel accommodations. What I wanted to get was a list of special advice from the folks in the know. What information would you share if you could only share one thing? Is it a restaurant you have to eat at? A special snack you have to try in a certain park (don't say beverly cola)? The best pool to swim at? Nothing is off topic here. Let me know, and I'll put it in the book (with proper credits of course).

Thanks!
    1982 - Contemporary (not yet born, but present) Born 2 months later; 1984 - Contemporary; 1986 - Off Site; 1988 - Off Site; 1992 - Caribbean Beach Resort; 1994 - Dixie Landings; Christmas 1994 - Contemporary; 1995 - Dixie Landings; 1999 - Beach Club; 2000 - Disney Land - Off Site; 2001 - Off Site; 2004 - Port Orleans Riverside/Dixie Landings; 5/2005 - Beach Club

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a hard question to answer without knowing what you guys like. I know this is two, but here it goes.
    My family absolutely loves getting schoolbread in Norway and sharing it during illuminations.

For romance, when I went last year with my boyfriend, we had dinner at the Rose & Crown by the water, and he gave me a claddagh ring from the UK pavilion. I loved it.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that exploring WDW without kids can be a whole new experience... Enjoy..

We have found that if you chose your favorites to see do them first and let the rest happen as they may come.

Stop every once in a while and just look at all what each park has to offer. Watch the people and especially the kids and how they react to everything.

Find a nice park bench and enjoy the moment with a frozen Mickey bar and watch the world go by..

Make reservations for dinner at your favorite restaurants and enjoy everything they have to offer.

Most of all be yourselves and become the kids that you will always be at the happiest place in the world.

Have a great time....
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely remember there are other ways to get to and from parks and resorts besides just the bus. We've taken the little ferry boat that goes from MK over to the Grand Floridian, we take the big ferry boats to the monorails, we take the ferry boats from HS to and from Epcot, and we do take the monorails. It's nice to see the parks from other perspectives.
    Disneyland Jun 01'
    ASM Jan 04'
    PC Jan 05'
    PC Jan 07'
    PC Jan 08'
    PC Jan 09'
    POR Sept 09'
    Disneyland July 10'
    POR Sept 11'
    Disneyland July 12'
    POR Nov 13'
    Disneyland 14'
    POR Jan 15'
    POR July 17'
    Disneyland July 17'
    Disneyland Paris Mar 19'
    Disneyland July 19'
    PC Sept 19'

Post Thanks / Like

1. Be at the parks for rope drop. You can accomplish more in the first hour than in the following two.
    2. Stroll the countries of EPCOT at night. (just the two of you will be very romantic)
    3. Eat a cinnamon roll from Starring Rolls in Hollywood Studios. It has to be from Starring Rolls! Several other places sell them but, these are better for some reason.
    4. ENJOY!
    Planned for 2015, SSR in June, BWV in July
    14 AKL & BCV
    13 WLV & BCV & SSR
    12 AKV, BCV, POFQ
    11 Akv, BCV, SSR
    10 AKV, BCV, WLV
    09 AKV, BCV,POFQ
    08 BWV, WL & BC
    07 OKW
    06 SSR, OKW, BC, PR & DVC
    05 AKL, CBR, WL & HARDROCK
    04 CS & DISNEYLAND
    98 CS
    77, 87, 94 OFF SITE

Post Thanks / Like

Don't miss the rice crispie treats at the Karmel Kleutch (sp?) in Germany. They are huge, coated with thick chocolate and caramel or just caramel. Much better than the Mickey ones.

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest piece of advice would be to take a break after lunch for a nap or a swim back at your resort.
    We've done the pound-the-parks all day in the past and have always found ourselves dragging at the end of the day.
    The parks will all be there later on. You can always return to the same park, or a different one if you have hopper tickets, in the late afternoon.
    Our last couple of trips have been a lot more relaxing thanks to the mid-day pauses that we've used to recharge our batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epceddie View Post
    My biggest piece of advice would be to take a break after lunch for a nap or a swim back at your resort.
    We've done the pound-the-parks all day in the past and have always found ourselves dragging at the end of the day.
    The parks will all be there later on. You can always return to the same park, or a different one if you have hopper tickets, in the late afternoon.
    Our last couple of trips have been a lot more relaxing thanks to the mid-day pauses that we've used to recharge our batteries.
    Amen! This person hit it right on the nose. They phrased it just the way I think about this very issue. Don't be a hero.
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow

Ok, you come to the great people at Intercot and ask their humble opinion on picking 1 thing that they would recommend. As I read your request I thought...goodness, how can I pick just one? Well as I read on ... it was just as I thought. WE CAN'T PICK JUST ONE!
    So as I looked at the other answers - they all bring a smile to my face. You already know the magic as does she so have a great time and a wonderful trip making memories together! So...
    here is my ONE thing (hee hee)
    Margaritas in Mexico while watching Illuminations
    Warm Chocolate Chip Cookie with Vanilla Ice Cream at The Main Street Ice Cream Parlor (not on the menu-last I checked)
    Taking the monorail around the Seven Seas Lagoon to visit the properties (and try the different drinks)
    Tower of Terror 2 times in a row - fun!
    Just enjoy each other, hold hands and explore places in the park neither of you have seen.
    Have fun!!
    Kathy
    [COLOR=DarkRed]

'72, '88, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '99, '00, '01, 3/03, 10/03, 1/05, 4/05, 1/06, 10/06, 1/07, 5/07, 12/07, 10/08, 5/09, 11/09, 1/10, 10/10, 12/10, 10/11, 07/12, 11/12, 10/13, 4/14, DCL6/14, 10/14, 1/15, 5/15, WL8/15 & 11/15! Finally Moved to FLORIDA 2/16!! :D

Post Thanks / Like

At MK:

Take the time to ride the Railroad all the way around the park.

Grab an ice-cream and go into the artist's alleyway on Main Street to sit quietly and listen to the sounds that are imagineered around you.

At Epcot:

Grab a favourite cocktail (mine is the Pomegranate Kir from the kiosk in France) and lean against each other to watch Illuminations. Heavenly.

At the Studios:

Go to the Animation Academy in the Magic of Disney Animation tour. You will learn how to draw a Disney character, and have a fabulous keepsake afterwards.

At AK:

Walk the trails. Fabulous.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

My tip:
    Don't ever leave WDW without watching Wishes over Cindy's Castle at least once during your trip. For me this show is the essence and icon of the magical experience of Disney. Hearing Jiminy singing "When You Wish Upon a Star" brings tears of joy to my eyes. It makes the whole vacation special.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

We can't have a trip without fried cheese from Liberty Tree Tavern!

I also discovered mango green tea slushes from the China pavilion last year - very yummy!
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Bit Of Advise

First of all, congratulations on your first "married" vacation to WDW! Here's to many, many more!

Here's my few:

• I probably don't have tell YOU to set at a window seat at the California Grill on top of the world at night and have a drink or glass of wine.
    • Set on the grassy hill next to the beach at the Poly and watch the Electrical Water Pageant and Wishes!
    • Set on the stone bench under Swiss Family Robinson Tree House and share a dole whip... lick... lick!
    • Snuggle at the Rose & Crown Pub and watch Illuminations.
    • Get a cozy seat for Legend Of The Lion King.
    • Walk hand and hand through Downtown Disney Westside and step inside Raglan Road.
    • Maybe a Dine-In Movie at AMC.
    • Ride the boat from MK to Wilderness Lodge, Ft Wilderness and Contemporary Resort. AT NIGHT. Sneak A Kiss!
    • Take plenty of POOL BREAKS before going back out.

Take your time, take plenty of pictures. Get fellow guest to take lots of you both!
    Enjoy and come back on your 5th, 10th, 20th, 25th, etc......anniversaries.
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

get to the parks as early in the morning once they opened as possible! this DRAMATICALLY improves the quality of the day. You can knock off fast passes, and all those rides like peter pan that you sort of wanna do but the line is fourty minutes for after ten am!

I saw it a few comments back but...its definately worth it to grab an ice cream cone and people watch. Relax!
    Poly GVC 11/04
    BC 09/05
    WL/Disney Wonder 5/06
    Poly LVC 09/06
    AKL club/WLvillas Jan/Feb 07
    CR/&Poly LVC 11/07
    Poly/LVC 08/08
    Poly LVC 03/ 09
    HHI 7/09
    Poly LVC Aug 09
    Poly Club 4/10
    Poly 8/10
    DL Hotel 8/10
    Poly 9/10
    CR/Poly Easter '11
    Vero/Poly 7/11
    DL 8/11
    10/11 MNSSHP
    FUTURE CP

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to WDW with my wife for our honeymoon and anniversary. The most important piece of advice I can give you is...

Relax, don't rush, enjoy the little things. Don't focus so much on What you have to do, focus on What you are doing at the moment. These are the moments you won't forget, not how many times you rode Space Mountain or you didnt get an ADR at a certain restaurant. Make each other laugh, be silly, take lots of pictures. Just enjoy yourselves and you when you look back on the trip, you will think about what a great time you had.
    Love my Pittsburgh Penguins and Penn State Nittany Lions !!!!

October 08 - Honeymoon CBR
    Wilderness Lodge- October 2010

CBR - Oct 2012
    Beach Club - Sept 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Make it a Hopper!

Park hoppers rock! I would never visit without them.

The afternoon break, can I just say Right On!?

Big D and I spend hours in Epcot - The Seas is amazing.

Wishes is a must do.

Stop and smell the roses!

Congratulations on your Wedding!
    Once as a kid
    Sept 1992 with hubby offsite
    May 2005 Disneyland Paris!
    Sept 2005 with hubby POP!
    Sept 2007 with hubby POP!
    Sept 2009 with hubby - AS Sports!
    Sept 2014 with hubby - POP!

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your adult only trip! You don't say where you are staying, but on our last trip, my husband and I took the boat from DTD to the French Quarter. We walked around a bit and ordered some beignets and then headed back to DTD. We are going to try it in the evening next time! We also splurged on the Deluxe Dining Plan and planned dinner at a signature restaurant for every night we were there! So far our all time favorite is Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Enjoy your trip! I hope it is filled with lots of magic and pixie dust!
    Debbie
    Feb 87- off site/Nov 98-Poly
    98- Disney Magic Inaugural Cruise
    Jul 03-off site
    Sept 05/Aug. 11/Nov '20 -Pop Nov 08-POR
    Aug 09/May 10-ASMu
    Nov. 09-Disneyland/California Adv.
    Aug. 12- OKW
    Aug 13 SS
    Oct 14 AKL/AoA
    Oct. 18 POP
    Aug 19- Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Keep it coming.

We're staying at the Pop Century resort. But I know from past experiences, I really like the pool at Beach club. Probably have to walk over from EPCOT some afternoon. We'll also swing into Beaches & Cream.
    1982 - Contemporary (not yet born, but present) Born 2 months later; 1984 - Contemporary; 1986 - Off Site; 1988 - Off Site; 1992 - Caribbean Beach Resort; 1994 - Dixie Landings; Christmas 1994 - Contemporary; 1995 - Dixie Landings; 1999 - Beach Club; 2000 - Disney Land - Off Site; 2001 - Off Site; 2004 - Port Orleans Riverside/Dixie Landings; 5/2005 - Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like

I love the pool at BC too, BUT, You must be a guest and show your room key to get in.

Lots of good advice here. Not sure of your travel plans but when we drive, we stay off site the day we get there (ususally after an all night drive). We check-in to a gateway hotel, then park at the Boardwalk. We pick a restaurant for an early dinner or snacks and start to enjoy the World. Then it's back to our hotel for an early bedtime. We're up and checked in to our Disney resort by 7:30 and off to the parks we go!

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

Do be a good pre-planner, get a passport or other great organizer, and when you trip comes, just relax, know to get up and get to the parks, know what time and where for ADR's, and enjoy vacation without stress. Also frequent breaks between rides and attractions, and keep hydrated, and sunscreened. Florida sun can be brutal.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: