Quantcast 'Toy Story: Hawaiian Vacation' Short to Debut with Cars 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default 'Toy Story: Hawaiian Vacation' Short to Debut with Cars 2

Love this news!

Playtime resumes for 'Toy Story' in cartoon short

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Woody the cowboy, Buzz Lightyear and their "Toy Story" pals are back on the big-screen in a new adventure.

The voices of Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Michael Keaton, Joan Cusack and other stars are featured in a "Toy Story" short film that runs before the Pixar Animation sequel "Cars 2," which debuts in U.S. theaters Friday.

"Toy Story: Hawaiian Vacation" has Hanks' Woody, Allen's Buzz, Cusack's Jessie the cowgirl and the other toys coming up with a scheme to give doll sweethearts Ken and Barbie (Keaton and Jodi Benson) the trip of their dreams.

After lending his voice to the franchise's three blockbuster feature-length films, Hanks says he'll keep coming back to do the voice of Woody whenever Disney-owned Pixar wants to do more with the "Toy Story" characters.

"Are those people some brand of genius that you can't really begin to fathom?" Hanks said of Pixar, whose 11 feature-length animated films have all been critical and commercial successes. "As long as I don't develop a smoker's cough, yeah, I'm there. Whatever they need. There's only one Woody, and it's me."

Along with winning six of the 10 Academy Awards for feature-length animation since that category was added, Pixar has earned 10 Oscar nominations for its short films, winning three.

Some of those short cartoons have preceded other Pixar feature films on the big-screen, reviving a sense of the serial entertainment that Hollywood provided at cinemas in its early years.

"We really believe in the short film," said Pixar's creative mastermind, John Lasseter, who received a special Oscar for 1995's "Toy Story," the first computer-animated feature film. "One, in the case of these, it just kind of keeps new animation of our favorite characters going. Secondly, for us internally, it's a great way for us to let younger artists take the next step up in their career to try directing."

The new "Toy Story" short is directed by Gary Rydstrom, a seven-time Oscar winner for sound or sound-effects editing on such movies as "Titanic," ''Jurassic Park" and "Saving Private Ryan." A veteran sound designer on Pixar films, Rydstrom previously directed the company's Oscar-nominated 2006 animated short "Lifted."

Lasseter, who also directed "Toy Story 2," ''A Bug's Life," ''Cars" and "Cars 2," said short cartoons allow him and the Pixar crew to keep in touch with characters they have come to consider friends.

Pixar has crafted short films for television and home video reprising characters from "Cars," ''The Incredibles," ''Up" and other feature hits.

"We'll come up with great ideas, little gags and stuff that are really fun, that are not necessarily appropriate story-wise for a feature film," Lasseter said. "But they're really fantastic for a short film where you would love to see the characters again."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is cool news. Another reason to go see Cars2 this weekend.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to see this! We are so excited to be going to see Cars 2 on Friday. This just makes it more awesome and exciting!
    '92 Port Orleans, '94 Condo/Off Site, '97 All Star Sports, '01 All Star Movies, '04 Pop Century, '07 Off Site, '07 All Star Music, '09 April Pop Century, '10 Pop Century, '12 All Star Sports,'14 AoA, '15 POP, '17 POP
    "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep." Cinderella

Post Thanks / Like

This is awesome news. I'm not going to tell my kids. They'll be thrilled when they see some of their favorite characters up on the big screen this weekend!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    This is awesome news. I'm not going to tell my kids. They'll be thrilled when they see some of their favorite characters up on the big screen this weekend!
    Same here! My kids will be so excited to see their favorite Toy Story characters! Now I just have to figure out when I'm going to take them to the movies .... I'm so not a fan of crowded movie theatres (esp. one that will contain lots and lots of very small children).

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

We saw this on Saturday and we loved it! It was great seeing the Toy Story gang again in their new environment.

Tess

poly07

poly08
    pop09
    popChristmas09
    contemporaryJune10
    wlOctober10
    wlChristmas10
    polyMay11
    wlOctober11
    bcJune12
    dreamThanksgiving12
    bcJune13

Post Thanks / Like

Saw it last week, it really sets the stage for how Toy Story 4 could easily work. You no longer need Andy and that story line, they get to start fresh. It was really nice to see it light hearted again and not as emotional as TS3 was
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    Saw it last week, it really sets the stage for how Toy Story 4 could easily work. You no longer need Andy and that story line, they get to start fresh. It was really nice to see it light hearted again and not as emotional as TS3 was
    You summed that up quite perfectly!
    1980?–DL,1988 – DL,Nov. 2002(off-site),Oct.'04 WL, Oct.'07 WL,Feb. '09 Poly, Feb.'10 Poly,Dec. 2010 Contemp., April '11 DL. Sept.'11-Poly, Dec.'11-Yacht Club , June '12- POFQ,Aug. 2012-Disneyland ,Oct. 2012 I-15 BC NEXT UP: April 2013- The Disney Fantasy Cruise

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great short!
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19