Quantcast Disney Transportation Horror Stories

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Transportation Horror Stories

My wife and I went about a month ago to WDW. We stayed at the Poly. Now the transportation on the monorail was great, BUT the bus transportation was a joke!! I thought since I was staying at a deluxe they would have better transportation. NOPE, sharing buses with Contemporary led to full buses before they even reached the Poly!! Ok so now for my story.

Twice during our 7 day trip we tried to get to HS in the morning. No such luck. One morning we waited 45 minutes for a bus to arrive. The next morning was the real horror story. We went to the bus stop which was mobbed and waited 30 minutes. No HS bus. So we decided there was no way we were catching a bus even if one showed up there would not be enough room. So we went back to our room and I called the front desk to ask where the buses are. After we cooled down for a minute we went back. Buses must have showed up while we were gone. But again it was mobbed. We waited another 40 minutes. Still no bus. Finally a non-disney charter bus showed up heading for HS. We all boarded and thought we would be to the park soon. WRONG AGAIN! I was convinced the driver took a route that ensured he would not have to make a left hand turn. So we went all the way around MK, by the campgrounds, by the Monorail repair shops. It took 30 minutes to get to HS. There were people getting calls on the bus from others who had gotten on a Disney bus at Poly after us and were already in the park. To say the least we were not happy at all. We went to guest relations and filed a complaint, they did give us fastpasses which was nice. Later we went to the front desk at the Poly and filed a complaint as well.

I understand that problems occur and you may have to wait longer for buses. But when it was 2 times at a Deluxe resort I was pretty steamed. I am sticking with moderates from now on.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the main reason we like to stay in the Epcot hotel area. We can walk to 2 of our favorite parks. The busses are shared for the other parks but have never experienced that long of a wait.
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

My stay at the Contemporary last June left me disgusted with the bus service as well. I always thought to myself that the only thing worse than the Contemporary bus service was the bus service at the Poly (since you were the second stop).

I too had the exact same problem at CR with the DHS bus, we waited through FIVE buses that were going to AK and DTD (4 out of 5 drove off empty) while zero buses had come to load the packed DHS line (including two bus-loads of people and 3 wheelchairs). We missed rope drop and TSM because of that, and is just one of many reason I won't be back on the Monorail resort loop again. They just can't figure out how to service DHS.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with the MK resorts is that they are so incredibly far from everything else.

Say they have two buses going back and forth to DHS from the Contemporary/Poly. One bus has a electronic wheelchair to load. By the time they get that stuff settled, the other bus is right behind it. So instead of one bus being at the Poly and one bus at DHS, they are together. And it does take a good 25 minutes to get from the MK resorts to DHS.

What I'm surprised about is that they didn't seem to have a transportation CM at the bus stops. They usually do. If they need to call for an extra bus, they usually can. However, that was not the case here.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. You did the right thing by filing a complaint with the front desk. That's a LOT of money to spend and have to wait 40 minutes for a bus in the morning.
    DisneyRoe <3

Walt Disney World College Program Cast Member Fall '04 - Space Mountain Operations

Disney PR Professional Intern
    Spring 2008 - Celebration, FL

DVC Spring '08

"You see, the most fantastic, magical things can happen-- and it all starts with a wish!"

Post Thanks / Like

Ah the famous buses! This is also why my hubby and I drive the car to the parks. We had a bad experience one night at Epcot that put us over the top. We didn't even stay to watch Illuminations so we literally ran to the front of the park with my 1 year old son and my mom and dad. By the time we got to the front of the park though (my parents are older so they are slow walkers) Illuminations was over and there was a mad dash to the buses. We headed over to catch the Saratoga Spring buses. By the time we got on line for the buses my son had passed out in my arms. I told my hubby if the first bus comes I don't want to get on it if its full as we were in the center. ( wanted a seat with my sleeping son). The bus comes the whole front end loads and no sitting room so we wait. 20 minutes later another bus. We get on, we sit, it's all good. Suddenly one of the ECV's come and the bus driver decides to let load while we are all already on the bus. The bus is packed. Some people move off just so she can get the ramp down. The person parks the ECV and walks off to a seat. Here is where the part comes in...since we were all ON THE BUS....there was a malfuncion in the ramp returning to it's normal position. Between the maintenance that was called etc. It took us 2.5 hours to get back to our hotel. I was so upset. My son was dead asleep on me so I was so uncomfortable and my hubby was standing somewhere in the crowd of people maneuvering the stroller. It was a huge mess. NEVER EVER AGAIN!!! 2.5 hours to get back to our hotel....way too much.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

We go every year in January, even with the light attendance for that time the year the bus system is horrible then also. It is amazing that 2-3 MK buses will show up in a row and buses to other parks are few and far between. As automated as Disney is I am always surprised that they bus system doesn’t work any better. You ask the drive and they say that there routes are all computer dispatched.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
    What I'm surprised about is that they didn't seem to have a transportation CM at the bus stops. They usually do. If they need to call for an extra bus, they usually can. However, that was not the case here.
    That is another thing that turned me against deluxe resorts. Not once did I ever have an attendant at any bus stop, ever, when traveling to or from a deluxe resort. I saw plenty at Pop Century bus stops, and many of them VERY helpful in keeping things moving, but never saw any at the CR ot AKL. That combined with the lack of designated que lines made things really bad at these bus stops.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Normally don't have a complaint about the buses and accept them for what they are but we were at BLT end of June and had the same problem getting to DHS. After waiting an hour for a bus they came out and gave everyone FP. Not a great way to start the day.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I have always had good service from the bus stops at the deluxe resorts for all the parks (just not to downtown disney)and I have stayed at the Poly, WL and GF
    There has always been a CM there and last year's CM Kirsten at the GF really stood out. It didn't matter id ther was only 1 or 20 people people waiting for a bus to a park she always called and checked the time they were coming or called for another if we had just missed one. We never had to wait more than 10 minutes.
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragongirlx View Post
    I have always had good service from the bus stops at the deluxe resorts for all the parks (just not to downtown disney)and I have stayed at the Poly, WL and GF
    There has always been a CM there and last year's CM Kirsten at the GF really stood out. It didn't matter id ther was only 1 or 20 people people waiting for a bus to a park she always called and checked the time they were coming or called for another if we had just missed one. We never had to wait more than 10 minutes.
    CM's at the bus stops I have NEVER seen a single CM at any of the resort bus stops I have ever been at. I haven't been to WDW since 2009 so maybe this is a new thing??
    77-85:Day Trips at Easter
    88:Fort Wilderness
    91:Swan(Honeymoon)
    99:Wilderness Lodge
    00:Caribbean Beach
    02:POR
    03:Coronado Springs/Polynesian
    04:POR/Polynesian
    06:POR
    07:POR
    08:POR
    09:Polynesian

12:POR
    14:POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joannelet View Post
    It took us 2.5 hours to get back to our hotel. I was so upset. My son was dead asleep on me so I was so uncomfortable and my hubby was standing somewhere in the crowd of people maneuvering the stroller. It was a huge mess. NEVER EVER AGAIN!!! 2.5 hours to get back to our hotel....way too much.
    That is just crazy.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome "

79,87,88: off property
    89:CB
    99:POR (DS first visit & b-day)
    00,02,:ASS (DS b-day)
    04,05:POP
    06,07:ASM
    08:ASM (Anniversary Trip)
    Nov 08:ASM (DS first visit)
    Aug 2011 ASM (DS first visit, DS b-day)

Post Thanks / Like

After staying at Wilderness Lodge, I really didnt have any complaints with the buses, sure we shared with either fort wilderness or GF (depended on what part you went to) but we had a cast member every time I remember going to the bus stop. Of course the MK buses were frequent but we have to remember, we were in the MK area. I would much rather do that than deal with what we had in March for the All Stars. My wife and DS (not yet 2 at the time) went to DTD. Well when we went to leave, the line for the All-Stars was all the way almost to the christmas store (from the busstop all the way at the end!) It took over 2 hours to get a bus. Then when we finally got a bus, there were some drunk teenagers on the bus that were on thier early "senior trip" There was a young kid (6 or 7) dressed like Spiderman... one of the boys yells, "Spider man is a (gay slur)... No one said anything... I guess he wanted to make sure we heard him cause he said it again... Well at that point I had it. as did most of the bus. They started yelling at the kid, then all of the sudden the chaperones desided to act... They literlly formed a wall from the back entrance to the front of the bus to keep someone from killing that little punk. Well after that, I said no more All-Stars. Then the next day, 5 BTG filled up the line for the MK... so we drove for the rest of the trip. After dealing with that nonsense, anything would be an improvement... I just wish the bus driver would have understood enough English to know what that little punk had said, and tossed him and his whole group out... oh I forgot to mention before the Spiderman comment, we had loaded onto the bus, and lots of people had sleeping kids, and this drunken idiots started singing like a bunch of Drunk Frat boys... fun times let me tell you lol
    I am addicted!
    9-08 Caribbean Beach Resort (Honeymoon)
    1-09 All-Star Sports
    12-09 Pop Century
    5-10 Pop Century
    3-11 All-Star Sports
    7-11 Wilderness Lodge
    3-12 Port Orleans Riverside
    5-12 Pop Century
    12-12 Saratoga Springs
    DVC Member since 2012!

Post Thanks / Like

Have always stayed at value or moderate resorts. We have never had any problem at all with the busses, other than having to wait for the next one a couple of times. All in all I think Im glad I never plunked down the dough for delux!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragongirlx View Post
    Same here. I've stayed at the GF, Contemporary, BLT, SSR, BWV, BCV and WL and never had very long of a wait for any bus. We always go during value season, though, and we don't get up early enough to rush to park opening, so that might explain why I've not had problems. ; )

Quote Originally Posted by We LOVE Disney View Post
    CM's at the bus stops I have NEVER seen a single CM at any of the resort bus stops I have ever been at. I haven't been to WDW since 2009 so maybe this is a new thing??
    I've been going to WDW every year (sometimes 2X/year) for the past several years. I've never seen a single CM at a bus stop, be it at a park or a resort.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transportation from Poly

We will be staying at the Poly next month.

If we're close we can walk over to the TTC. What transportation is available there, besides the monorail?

Are there buses to AK and DHS?

Thanks for any information.
    Lisaj13
    Disneyland - Four times
    Disney World - Three times

Post Thanks / Like

For the most part, we take the busses during the daytime only. I know it costs us a little more, but if we are going to an early morning ADR at another resort, we take a taxi. If we close down the parks or wait until after an evening fireworks show, we take a taxi. Sure, it does cost a little, but taking the busses during the day, we've never run into problems. We have a real system about it and know what nights and mornings we will be taking taxi's, so we budget for it. DH is not known for his patience...so these few dollars are well spent in my opinion!
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDisneyDad View Post
    After staying at Wilderness Lodge, I really didnt have any complaints with the buses, sure we shared with either fort wilderness or GF (depended on what part you went to) but we had a cast member every time I remember going to the bus stop. Of course the MK buses were frequent but we have to remember, we were in the MK area. I would much rather do that than deal with what we had in March for the All Stars. My wife and DS (not yet 2 at the time) went to DTD. Well when we went to leave, the line for the All-Stars was all the way almost to the christmas store (from the busstop all the way at the end!) It took over 2 hours to get a bus. Then when we finally got a bus, there were some drunk teenagers on the bus that were on thier early "senior trip" There was a young kid (6 or 7) dressed like Spiderman... one of the boys yells, "Spider man is a (gay slur)... No one said anything... I guess he wanted to make sure we heard him cause he said it again... Well at that point I had it. as did most of the bus. They started yelling at the kid, then all of the sudden the chaperones desided to act... They literlly formed a wall from the back entrance to the front of the bus to keep someone from killing that little punk. Well after that, I said no more All-Stars. Then the next day, 5 BTG filled up the line for the MK... so we drove for the rest of the trip. After dealing with that nonsense, anything would be an improvement... I just wish the bus driver would have understood enough English to know what that little punk had said, and tossed him and his whole group out... oh I forgot to mention before the Spiderman comment, we had loaded onto the bus, and lots of people had sleeping kids, and this drunken idiots started singing like a bunch of Drunk Frat boys... fun times let me tell you lol
    I totally agree with you about the bus situation back from DTD. That has not stopped me from staying at the All Stars, but I always take a taxi back from DTD to avoid that mess. This year we are driving for the first time, but that will be the only place we drive to.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome "

79,87,88: off property
    89:CB
    99:POR (DS first visit & b-day)
    00,02,:ASS (DS b-day)
    04,05:POP
    06,07:ASM
    08:ASM (Anniversary Trip)
    Nov 08:ASM (DS first visit)
    Aug 2011 ASM (DS first visit, DS b-day)

Post Thanks / Like

Bus issues can really take a toll on you. So sorry to hear about these problems - deep breaths! We always stay at ASMu and with one exception out of 5 trips, we've never had to wait long for a bus going out. Catching a bus back if we stay until park closing is an entirely different story. If the line is huge, we just have a seat until it thins out. We're not in a rush and it's far more comfortable to sit for awhile than stand in line for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDisneyDad View Post
    I would much rather do that than deal with what we had in March for the All Stars.
    Say no more! We went to the AllStarsMovies once when they had no discounts for the week of PopWarner. I vowed to always be willing to spend more than do that again. The bright side: the kids loved Pongo and the dalmatian rooms. The dark dark dark side: the bus service. It was always slow with long lines. And I'm pretty sure every ECV rider at WDW was staying there and going to the same park I went to every day.

Honestly, the best bus service I've had was at AKL-Kidani. The buses were always frequent, although the rides were fairly long. The only bad incident was with MK, and that's due to the sheer distance of that trip. I'd stay there again just for the bus service.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

The only time we've ever had a problem was several years ago when staying at Pop. We waited for quite awhile (maybe 30-45 minutes if I remember right) at Epcot for a bus back to Pop. Even for October there was a huge line waiting for Pop but all the other hotels had buses come by - some had multiple buses come by. I'm pretty patient and it is a "magical" place, so we just rolled with it.

I don't understand their system. Even if it is computerized, shouldn't bus drivers (or CMs) be able to call some dispatch office when there are issues a computer can't see? How about bus queue cameras? - We have those all across our cities here to monitor freeway traffic. Just wondering.
    AP Platinum/Florida resident

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: