Quantcast strict on height requirements?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile strict on height requirements?

Hello everyone!!My family and I are going to the world on aug 31. My youngest son is 38". Many of the rides are limited to 40". How close would he have to be to get on or are they very strict on the rule? Thanks and have a great day!
    rantyrantyranty

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes they're strict and yes they are very strick - there's no way you're going to be able to 'fudge' 2 inches of height.

I'm a grandparent who has taken barely-exactly tall enough kids and stood by while CMs debated with each other while hair was flattened. Once we were turned away as not being tall enough when it was a ride the child had ridden 2 days earlier. This all left the bewildered child crying - not exactly a magical experience.

If your child is not tall enough you'd do better to enjoy OTHER rides until your child is a tall enough to ride.

Post Thanks / Like

If the ride minimum is 40" then they need to be 40". If I were you, I'd measure at home and unless they hit 40" without shoes, I'd steer clear.

Many lines measure twice, often it seems with different criteria. Sometimes CMs will even call an audible on if the shoes count towards the height requirement or not.

And different days have different CMs with different interpretations. Don't fight them, they aren't going to risk their job by allowing someone to ride who shouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like

This topic seems to come up often. There are height restrictions for reasons, usually safety If something was to happen to the child while on the ride, how many more law suits would there be against Disney? IMHO if the child isn't tall enough to enjoy the attractions take them somewhere else and take them to Disney when they are tall enough.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

I remember back when I was probably 7 or 8, I was dying to go on RnRC, but the height requirement was 48" and I was JUST below the bar and my parents were told that the only reason the requirement is in place is because the safety bar wouldn't come down low enough. So to answer the question-yes they are, but for a good reason.
    A dream is a wish your heart makes<3 (:

Post Thanks / Like

Yep no way to get around this rule. As said before measure him at home without shoes and if he is under 40" you can prepare him for not being able to go on some the rides. But thankfully being WDW there are more rides without height restrictions than rides with them.

And if he is too short maybe coming up with some other fun things for just him to enjoy.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

and yes they do check twice. My family was there 2 years ago with friends who had a little one. Outside the line at Test Track she was measured and barely made it. We waited through the standby line all the way to just before getting in the cars and she was measured again. No matter how she stood she just barely was to short and was not allowed to ride. It does not matter that she was tall enough at the outside measuring stick, the one right before the ride was the one that counted.
    Foshe's
    Aug 2-11, 2014
    Sept 21-26, 2013no kids allowed
    June 2-9, 2012
    dec 20-26,2009
    July 11-17 2009, DEC21-25 2008,
    July 13-18 2008, Aug 6-10 2007
    July 2006/ French quarter
    July 2005/ Yach club
    July 2004/ POP (familys first trip)

Post Thanks / Like

My dd 4 tried to get on Soarin but missed the height requirement by a hair & they would not allow her on. The cast members even made sure she was standing up straight, legs together, etc to try to get her to pass but they would not budge.
    DVC Member as of 11/09 BLT!!
    1992 Dolphin Resort
    1995 stayed off-site
    2002 All-Star Movies Resort
    2007 (Oct) Port Orleans French Quarter
    2008 (Nov )1 night at POP
    2008 (Nov) Old Key West Resort
    2011 (Jan) BLT 2 room suite!!!
    2011 (Oct/Nov) BLT 1 bedroom suite
    2012 (Oct) BLT 2 room suite :-)

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to ask about height restrictions, simply ask the amputated vet that was thrown from a roller coaster in New York and killed. Are you willing to have the same thing happen to your child?

The rules are in place for a reason. I still think height measurements should be done at the front of each park. The child is given a band to wear AND their pass is flagged that they meet requirement X. This way, there is no whining or arguing before anyone gets to an attraction.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

The rules are in place for a reason. I still think height measurements should be done at the front of each park. The child is given a band to wear AND their pass is flagged that they meet requirement X. This way, there is no whining or arguing before anyone gets to an attraction.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant idea! Would save hassle for the child and the CMs at each attraction.
    My youngest DD just made the height for ToT when it first opened and they had the lap bars across the whole row. She was also very slim. I sat on the front row with DD1 and DS. DD2 was behind me with her dad. Unfortunately on her row was a very generously proportioned lady, so the bar came down nowhere near far enough for DD. When we hit the drop I heard her scream start from behind my shoulders and rise to above my head as the lift descended without her! DH grabbed the back of her shirt and slammed her down into the seat. It was some time before she would ride it again! They have changed the harness arrangements now, but I would be very wary of height restrictions now. They are there for a reason.
    Last edited by K8screen; 07-24-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    I still think height measurements should be done at the front of each park. The child is given a band to wear AND their pass is flagged that they meet requirement X. This way, there is no whining or arguing before anyone gets to an attraction.
    I LOVE this idea. That way, cast members can be consistent and the bad news hits in just one spot. Then parents can plan where they will go so that their children can experience all the magic Disney has to offer.
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

I still think height measurements should be done at the front of each park. The child is given a band to wear AND their pass is flagged that they meet requirement X. This way, there is no whining or arguing before anyone gets to an attraction.
    This was tested at Disneyland 5 or so years ago, and for reasons I can't remember, wasn't implemented. I think it's a good idea as well, and it is used at other amusement parks, so I wish they'd work out the kinks and give it another go.

Post Thanks / Like

The rules are in place for a reason. I still think height measurements should be done at the front of each park. The child is given a band to wear AND their pass is flagged that they meet requirement X. This way, there is no whining or arguing before anyone gets to an attraction.
    I love this idea. While it's not mandatory, Hershey Park has something similar set up. Kids get officially measured and are given a wristband according to their height (I also love that their heights are candy--kisses, miniatures, Hershey Bar, etc), so it's easy enough to show off at each ride.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFr33k View Post
    I LOVE this idea. That way, cast members can be consistent and the bad news hits in just one spot. Then parents can plan where they will go so that their children can experience all the magic Disney has to offer.
    It would save alot of heartache for the child and keep the parent calm.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K8screen View Post
    Brilliant idea! Would save hassle for the child and the CMs at each attraction.
    My youngest DD just made the height for ToT when it first opened and they had the lap bars across the whole row. She was also very slim. I sat on the front row with DD1 and DS. DD2 was behind me with her dad. Unfortunately on her row was a very generously proportioned lady, so the bar came down nowhere near far enough for DD. When we hit the drop I heard her scream start from behind my shoulders and rise to above my head as the lift descended without her! DH grabbed the back of her shirt and slammed her down into the seat. It was some time before she would ride it again! They have changed the harness arrangements now, but I would be very wary of height restrictions now. They are there for a reason.
    I agree, anything to speed the line up and to reduce congestion anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

We just measured our son with the shoes he would be wearing at the parks. We did it on a floor without carpets. We took several measurements to make sure they were correct. Each time he was over the 44".

This way you know if your child will reach the height requirements with the shoes the child is wearing.

The cast members NEVER ask a child to remove shoes.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Yes, the cast members go right by the rules.
    The rules are there for safety reasons. I know
    we have had some disappointed ones in our
    group at times as well.
    BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN DECEMBER!!! Can't wait to get back in the land of Mickey and the Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

No, CMs WILL NOT ask you to remove shoes, but if you are close and have shoes with large soles, they may still deny entrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    No, CMs WILL NOT ask you to remove shoes, but if you are close and have shoes with large soles, they may still deny entrance.
    Well, that would be a arbitrary decision by the CM. If the stick hits the child on the head cleanly, they will let the child ride. But some CMs are more strict than others. My son is 44" and when we went to ride Kali River Rapids, he was asked to be measured by the CM.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Very strict. And they have to be. Although I was so disappointed as a child that I had to wait for what seemed like forever to ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, I completely understand. Safety first! In the end, it totally made it that much more magical that glorious sunny day in August of 1994 when I finally got to ride BTMR by myself
    Next WDW Vacation: 1st Disney Cruise w. Land and Sea adventure, Summer 2014

WDW 76x ON PROPERTY since March 1984
    Most Recent Trip: Thanksgiving/Christmas 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: