Quantcast Why do we do it?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Why do we do it?

Since this is INTERCOT, I know most of the people reading this are fans of Disney. I can also assume that most of the people reading this have taken multiple "once in a lifetime trips" to Disney. You merely have to read the signatures to deduce that.

I have been stressing my forthcoming trip. I don't know why, but this one is stressful. Maybe it's the ADR's, who knows. So, I had to stop and analyze the situation (one of my OCD's.) I asked myself, "why Disney?"

The answer I came up with is; because it is a break from reality. I have to deal with reality on a daily basis. It gets old. At Disney I can laugh, love, play, and live life in the moment. Without worrying about tomorrow. (although the prices send me back to reality momentarily)

So why do you go to Disney? Why do you make plans for a family vacation that would make Clark Griswold proud? Why do you spend time on INTERCOT gathering information or sharing information?
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

A break from reality pretty much sums it up for me too. It's an escape to a different world in a sense.
    ºoº Joe ºoº
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

EXACTLY ~ Both DH and I enjoy the "lack of reality" as well!

It's Life with background music, fabulous places to eat and we see nothing that reminds us of the day to day grind.

We're free . . . . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

I know that I couldn't fully explain it if I tried, and I've tried a gazillion times to those that "Don't Get It" and question our repeated visits!

All I know is that when my family is in WDW, we are very literally in a magical world! We all have so much fun together and we're just enveloped in the magic that Uncle Walt created for us! It's our Happy Place away from all of our stress and cares in the world and a time to have fun together! It is a beautiful, vibrant and fun world, I have never experienced the like of anywhere else! A world filled with pixie dust! It truly is a magical place!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the reality theory. I was explaining this to my DH the last trip we went on because he did not grow up with Disney. I did. To be honest it makes me feel like a kid again. A time when my grandparents were alive and everthing was happy and carefree. It's like when you are there all is right with the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the quality family time we spend together. Where else can we all act like silly little kids, have fun and enjoy being together? WDW just makes my heart smile! And in todays world, I think we all need that.
    Dec 2010 AKL
    May 2009 POFQ
    Oct 2008 Pop
    X-Mas 2007-POFQ
    May 2006 Pop
    June 2005 ASMu
    May 2002-Off Site
    Dec. 1999-Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I agree with the "break from reality" theory as well. I also like the near total immersion experience, DME, staying on resort property, utilizing WDW transportaion options. It gives me the option to kick back, relax and enjoy my vacation at my pace. Slow at times, absorbing every detail and full park assault, commando style!
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Why We Do It!

I agree and totally understand what EVERYONE so far has said. I Get It!
    I think it is something we got in our blood, but more important, in our hearts! I also started with every Sunday Night with Walt and the Wonderful World of DISNEY. Then in 1972 our FAMILY was introduced to WALT DISNEY WORLD by our DD that drove us to 600 miles to Florida and stayed 2 weeks at Ft. Wilderness Campground. This "then" young teen was allowed to ride back and forth to the "Magic Kingdom" by boat and go to the Most Magical Place On Earth! Since then, I went back and worked on those same boats, moved back home and took my girlfriend to Disney, WE took our two daughters so many times. We went as Band Parents to watch DD march down Main Street and NOW DW and I are taking our only Grandson to see our "Happy Place". Soon to be his!
    We are the people that on our last night get that lasting image of Cinderella's Castle in our brain/heart until we see you next time!
    We are also the same people that when pulling out of your Resort say, "now back to the real world" ?
    Some of us get it , some don't. But those people NEED to stay home anyway!
    DISNEY IS THE MOST WONDERFUL PLACE ON EARTH!
    See you real soon!
    20 days for us!

We are PTLD!

Steamboat Willy
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I've never felt like my job or real-life things are stuff I need to escape from, I love what I do for a living and the life that I'm able to have so I guess I just go to Disney because it's fun and it makes me happy.

Post Thanks / Like

We go to Disney because it's comfortable. That's probably not the right word but, we know what to expect when we get there.

We know what rides we'll be riding, what places we'll be eating. But I always plan on something we haven't done. It can be a restaurant we haven't eaten at, surfing lessons, parasailing, pirate cruises.

There's just so much to do at WDW and coming on the boards helps me find those other things you can do while there.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTY View Post
    A break from reality pretty much sums it up for me too. It's an escape to a different world in a sense.
    I totally agree... The minute we hit the entrance to Downtown Disney. I forget about everything that’s going on in the "real world" I don’t have debt. I don’t have to worry about getting up in the morning for work/school (kids). I don’t have to worry about Gas prices. Etc. etc. I just love that feeling knowing for the next few days I’m in a Wonderful place with wonderful people that want to have FUN at whatever the cost is...

As for the question of "WHY DISNEY" simple it’s the best vacation for our family and I don’t have to fly...lol. We have priced out other places and when it’s all said and done it always feels cheaper to do Orlando... Kids love it, I love it and DH he is always fine with it too...
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it's dependability. I know when I go to Disney - I can depend on great customer service, friendly people, and a certain level of entertainment.
    I always like to say that Disney understands the complexity of simplicity. I think anyone who loves Disney World knows what I mean - you can immerse yourself, let your guard down, and trust that everything around you - from the color of the brick you are walking on to the cast members you talk to - are there for you're entertainment, comfort, and happiness. They put 100% into everything they do, and every detail is thought out. Where else is that way?
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

I'm obsessed with WDW because no other vacation compares. I've had some great trips here in New England from 2004-2009, and actually convinced myself that they were just as good as going to WDW. I was wrong. After getting my WDW fix in 2010, I thought I was good for awhile. Instead, I'm more obsessed than ever. Best trip ever, and I won't rest until I'm there again, hopefully in 2012. I still look back at my NE trips fondly, and will probably continue to do those too, but if I can get back to FL, I will choose that first. When I say FL, I don't mean those other parks either. Keep me on WDW property!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

It's an escape from reality and it's totally magical. When I'm there I can enjoy spending time with the people I'm there with and not have to worry about anything else. I'm comfortable at Disney because I know where everything is. I can enjoy my time there for as long as I'm there no matter if I'm there for 2 days or 7!
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

For those people who HAVE to ask just don't get it. WDW isn't just a place, it is a feeling. A lot of feelings all rolled in to one experience! Joy of family, excitement for what lies beyond those gates, anticipation of which ride to embark on first, the feeling of being a kid again, the giddiness of seeing old friends again like Pluto, the feeling of just being in a joyous place where there are no worries, no concerns other than will Fastpasses still be available for TSM! It is a place to be happy, to be a kid and to experience all of the most wonderful emotions! Family, Friends, Fun and More! I love it!
    Disney isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle!

1st trip>>>1986>>>offsite
    2nd trip>>>2008>>>Pop Century
    3rd trip>>>2009>>>Pop Century

4th trip>>>2010>>>Pop Century
    5th trip>>>2011>>>Pop Century
    Next trip>>>2012>>>Pop Century>>>First Holiday Trip to WDW!!

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Simply put, WDW is the one place where I can get away from the reality of every-day life and the stresses of work. The minute I cross the Florida state line, I'm in 2-year-old mode. By the time I reach WDW, I'm ready to have fun. I can act like a kid, and be a kid, without worrying about what others think, because most of them are doing the same thing. I can take a ride on a flying elephant, meet a mouse, and, when I see my all-time favorite Cinderella, I remember being 5 years old and seeing the movie for the first time. I can also have a Dole Whip and a Mickey Bar as often as I like, without feeling guilty, because sweets have negative calories in a Magic Kingdom, don't they??????

It's also the place where I dealt with the passing of my Mother almost 10 years ago. And, every trip since then has been filled with many happy memories of past vacations.

Just 9 days, 9 hours, 43 minutes until the magic begins again. That is, the magic will begin as long as there isn't another hurricane to disrupt AMTRAK service south.
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: