Quantcast AVATAR coming to Disney Parks - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Soarin'? It's a wonderful attraction, but it does not even bother with story -- every Disney fan's favorite buzzword.It also shows why Disney ignores its fans with nearly every decision it makes.
    I actually agree with a lot of what you say, but this is just ridiculous. History is littered with the shuttered doors of companies that ignored their fans because they thought they knew better. If you're actually lauding Disney for ignoring its fan base, then you need to brush up on your business history. It's essentially the kiss of death.

Now if you're saying they're ignoring their hardcore fans in favor of going for a broader appeal I don't agree with that either, but at least it's a more defensible nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    I agree with that, but I'm sure Disney is trying to build it during the biggest surge, not toward the end like HP. It's a calculated risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    When I first read this I went, "Huh?" with a lot of other people. And I get the negative comments. But even if you've never seen the movie or know the story, if Disney does this right, they could really have something.

First, James Cameron is a BIG thinker. In Disneyspeak, he likes to "plus" things. He uses technology to his strongest advantage in his films, and he definitely gets "immersion" into a place and time. And, big exclamation point, he likes to spend money to make things look good.
    Okay so, like many people, when I first heard this I had a gut negative reaction. Avatar wasn't a film that appealed to me, I had no interest then and still have no interest now in seeing it.

But the more I've thought about it, and the more I've read some of the comments in this thread, the more I think I like it. I mean, I may not like the ultimate product (or I may, who knows considering it's 4 years from opening), but I like that Disney is "going for it" with this. I've been uber-critical of them in the past for being too slow to capitalize on opportunities. I killed them for opening an American Idol attraction in the Studios like five years after AI ceased to be really relevant.

Here they're taking a chance. Yeah, Avatar may ultimately not have the staying power to match it's first-movie hype (I think the Matrix analogy is perfect), but then again maybe it'll become the next Harry Potter. At least Disney is out in front of it this time. I'll give them props for taking a risk on a project that is sure to be uber-pricey.

And I agree about Cameron. The guy is known for being a stickler for details. I can only imagine what this land will look like when it's built out and it's undeniable that the theme is a perfect match for AK. That plus the fact that I'm just happy they're finally going to spend some money on Animal Kingdom!

Would I have preferred that they built Beastly Kingdomme? Sure. No doubt. But hey ... this could end up being better. It could, in theory at least, end up being the best theme park experience anywhere ever.

I just hope Disney realizes that they could also end up four years from now with a land in Animal Kingdom that no one wants to visit.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I had all these different things multi quoted but my mind is in such a tizzy over all that's being said that I lost my direction.

I will start by saying that I did see Avatar, the visuals were amazing....and that's about it. Yes, the movie was a MASSIVE hit...but I have some pretty big "nerds" in my various circles of friends, and I don't know anyone who is an Avatar geek. Clearly they exist, but on the other hand I can't even begin to count the number of Star Wars nerd and Harry Potter nerd friends that I have.
    I know at least 10 friends/families (myself included) that went to Wizarding World within the first year of opening. I don' t know a single person who would travel to WDW just because they created an Avatar land. I'm willing to take the wait and see approach because we have no idea what the sequels will be like, but I wasn't a fan of the script in the first one so my hopes aren't too high.

As for all the Pocahontas comparisons... you guys do know that she was an ACTUAL person, right? Not a figment of Disney's imagination?They certainly took liberties with her story but She did indeed befriend John Smith and may or may not have valiantly saved him from execution depending on which account of his travels you choose to believe, but they weren't lovers. The "romance" aspect of this tale has been around in writings for at least two centuries, so I really doubt James Cameron came up with the plot first (unless he's an ageless vampire?) Anyway, take away the romance and it reminded me more of that Fern Gully movie!

Lastly I am a bit surprised by the tone taken by some in this thread. Yes, people are being negative. People are allowed to be negative if they want. There is some initial shock that inevitably comes with this seemingly out of left field announcement. There are people that will always be critical-that's just a given. In particular, those unfamiliar with the Avatar property and it's success at home and abroad and the future benefits that may come from a deal such as this should not be talked down to. No one REALLY knows if this will be a boom or a bust for Disney until the gates open in 4 years. All we can do at this point is what we do best on message boards like this- speculate. Can't wait to hear the next podcast!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I just hope Disney realizes that they could also end up four years from now with a land in Animal Kingdom that no one wants to visit.
    In a park that many people feel they don't need to visit to begin with.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Feeling gipped?

Anyone that went to D23 think that they would have gotten more of their money's worth had the announcement happened there?

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh. I hate this. I hated the movie-- so CHEESY. This isn't going to bring people into the parks. I don't know anyone who loved Avatar THAT. MUCH.

If I were in charge and wanted to compete with Harry Potter, I'd tear down the backlot tour at the Studios and build a Star Wars "land."

And I'd use extra room at AK for an Australia section to complement Asia and Africa.
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

Post Thanks / Like

Where would the Walt Disney Co. be without Walt taking some major risks? I think this is exactly the position the Walt Disney Co. needs to take at this point in the current competitive market. It may flop, it may succeed. Either way it is at least a step in a direction away from the stagnancy. The shake-ups and the new expansions are an indication of a company that wants to move forward.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see, Disney has paired up with a top grossing Movie Director/Producer to bring his top grossing film to one of their parks and you all think this is a n idiotic idea? Well , it WILL have the Disney touch - let's reserve judgement on what they bring to the park until after they open.

As for the movie - You tell me, would you rather they pair up and do "Avatar" or the "Twilight" franchise - I'm voting for "Avatar"!
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MstngDrvnDsnyLvr View Post
    As for the movie - You tell me, would you rather they pair up and do "Avatar" or the "Twilight" franchise - I'm voting for "Avatar"!
    Neither. Just my opinion.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting... I think this is the most exciting thread I've seen in a while... I'm still on the fence about the whole idea, at the very least it will be very visually stimulating (like the movie)...
    Maggie
    DVC Member @ OKW & BCV

Mamma to DD's E and C
    CR 80
    POLY 84
    FW 91
    POFQ 04~Last trip w/Gramps
    POP 07~E's 1st Trip
    GF & SOG 08~(Not My)Disney Wedding
    POFQ 08~BIG Family Vacation
    POP 09~Just the Girls
    BCV 10~1 Night @WDW
    OKW GV 11~C's 1st Trip
    BLT/OKW 12~Surprise!

2014 OKW/?

Post Thanks / Like

I liked Avatar, and have always been a big fan of James Cameron's films. As a creative master, I put Cameron in the same category as Walt Disney, George Lucas, and Jim Henson. I can only imagine what the combination of Cameron and WDI could come up with in attractions to go along with Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    Avatar represents more global value than Harry Potter ever could (remember, this announcement pertains to Disney Parks worldwide- any coincidence that there's a major park being built in Shanghai right now where Avatar was a huge hit?)
    The Avatar film was the all-time highest grossing film in China. I think an Avatar world in the new Shanghai Disneyland would be extremely successful. I think it will be pretty much a given that we will see this in China as well as WDW. I can't wait to visit both.

I think this could have gone into the Studios at WDW, but I like the idea of it being in the Animal Kingdom. I do believe it is a good fit, and will certainly satisfy the complaints that there isn't enough in that park.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Years from now, when Avatar land is all built out and awesome, we'll all claim to be experts in the land that is the greatest Disney theme park adventure of all time. Until then, we'll be able to enjoy and respect the many opinions of Disney fans from all over the world by reading these types of boards as each press release is provided to us.

I didn't get through all of the Avatar movie when watching it OnDemand, but Titanic was one of my favorite movies of all time. James Cameron is an amazing mind and talent that you just don't see everyday, read up on some of his inventions beyond the movies. This guy is incredible. He's partnering with the most creative company in the world. I have faith this will be amazing and quite possibly turn me into a fan of something I just haven't gotten into. Seriously, Disney is taking a major risk with this, and I'm curious to see it go through the phases of a major project. I'm sure we'll all be surprised and intrigued by what they come up with. I seriously hope it isn't too small and that the investment is truly realized at the end through an amazing product. Good for them, good for us, good for the theme park battle ongoing in central Florida. May the games continue.
    Feb 1990 - FW
    Oct 2000 - YC
    Sept 2001 - MK
    May 2002 - DL
    Sept 2004 - BW
    Dec 2004 - WL
    Feb 2005 - POFQ
    Oct 2007 - FW CABIN
    Dec 2008 - ASMov
    Oct 2009 - DVC Member!
    Jan 2010 - SSR
    Aug 2011 - BLT, Universal, BCV
    April 2012 - WL Villas
    Feb 2013 - Disneyland!

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, but the graphics were amazing.

I think we'll all walk into the land for the first time and be stunned by how amazingly and visually stunning it will look regardless of whether you like the idea or not.
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I actually agree with a lot of what you say, but this is just ridiculous. History is littered with the shuttered doors of companies that ignored their fans because they thought they knew better. If you're actually lauding Disney for ignoring its fan base, then you need to brush up on your business history. It's essentially the kiss of death.

Now if you're saying they're ignoring their hardcore fans in favor of going for a broader appeal I don't agree with that either, but at least it's a more defensible nuance.
    OK, maybe there was some hyperbole in my original post. It was out of frustration, really. I am tired of Disney fans who complain about literally every single thing the company does. The criticism has no value at this point. Sometimes I honestly think that the biggest Disney fans think Disney World should consistent of Horizons and a Dole Whip stand, and that's it. (You've been extremely critical of Disney over the years yourself, but you also have been reasonable enough to admit when Disney does something right. I may say you're too negative or pessimistic at times, but I can never discount your opinion because I know that you'll give Disney credit when it's right. I respect that. Maybe I'm too pixie-dusted.)

There's no doubt that this "Avatar" land can backfire. It's a risk, and a calculated one. There's no question that Disney would not go into this partnership without seeing the preliminary fans for the next two films, and they must feel comfortable that they will be more successful than the sequels to "The Matrix." At one point, "Star Wars" was just one movie and nothing more, too. I'm not trying to say that we're looking at the next "Star Wars," but I'm saying it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

Also, I think people are putting too much stock in the property in some ways. Ultimately, if the theme park experience lives up to what we all hope it will, it won't even matter much if "Avatar" loses steam. The Honey, I Shrunk the Audience attraction -- albeit on a much smaller scale -- was popular years after "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" was out of the public eye. Nobody has seen "Song of the South," yet Splash Mountain remains perhaps Disney's finest attraction. How many people know that Mr. Toad's Wild Ride -- the ride Disney fans fought so hard to save in Florida -- is based on a Disney animated film from 1949? Not many I bet.

I just want a thematic, immersive experience. I have confidence that James Cameron and Joe Rohde together can deliver that, even if it's based on a property I don't care much about. Like I said earlier, I have little interest in "Harry Potter," but there's no denying that the Wizarding World is an amazing experience.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

OK, well I'm glad to know that I'm not alone with my first reaction! Ugg! We really need "Like" buttons on here!

I'm thinking they are trying to compete with Universal & their Harry Potter World! Please! I see no longevity here! Toy Story has way more staying power & could've been targeted a bit more. I liked Avatar, but I don't see this as a good fit for WDW.
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney could have saved themselves a lot of money by just starting on a John Carter of Mars land since Avatar stole the story from Burroughs anyway.

That said, I see where Disney is coming from. The biggest movie of all time, coupled with impending billion dollar sequels spanning land, water, and air based environments could be amazing. Although a marvel Land and Pixar Place with a Monsters Inc. Coaster would have stirred up more excitement. If they wanted to push an environmental agenda they could have redone Universe of Energy with Wall-E.
    Upcoming Trips
    Villas at Grand Californian - 11/2012

Recent Trips
    Old Key West - 12/2011
    Contemporary - 05/2011
    Beach Club Villas - 03/2011
    Villas at Grand Californian - 12/2010
    Hilton Head Island - 5/2010
    Boardwalk Villas - 9/09

DVC Member - Villas at Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Great. Not. The only thing that saved the movie was special effects. I'm surprised Disney allowed this. Afterall, wasn't it a ripoff of Disney's Pocahontas? Just with blue aliens and fancy technology?

If the Avatars start singing the Colors of the... I'll lose it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. If this went to Universal... What would everyone say then? Disney lost out on a multi billion dollar property and IOA gets bigger and cooler?

Personally, I had no interest in Avatar. It was a FernGully rip off in my mind (FYI everything is a rip off. There are literally something like 7 basic plots). But AK NEEEEEEEEEDS some loving. And this is it. I think it would fit better at DHS but I get it at AK. just think with a new eticket at AK maybe they can shut down and repair the yeti! *gasp*.

And for those of you bemoaning the raciness and violence have you paid attention to the measurements of the princesses? Or how miss swan dressed in potc? Off the high horses please.

Post Thanks / Like

Well it looks like Disney has gone into Damage Control mode over on the official blog. They have a new blog where they address concerns over the announcement. How well they do is open to interpretation, I guess, but its very interesting that less than 24 hours after the announcement we are at this point. Apparently folks on this board aren't the only ones with concerns...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I can't believe how negative the reactions are!

I saw Avatar, liked, wasn't obsessed like some but overall a good movie and personally I was a big fan of the environmental message it carried. I also think it's a good fit for AK. AK already contains plenty of "fantasy" why not continue it? Yes Avatar isn't a classic disney movie but then again there are many other park themed attractions that I wouldn't consider classic disney either.

I'm sitting and waiting on this one. It could be pretty awesome if they do it right.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HackLaSalle View Post
    Wow. If this went to Universal... What would everyone say then? Disney lost out on a multi billion dollar property and IOA gets bigger and cooler?

Personally, I had no interest in Avatar. It was a FernGully rip off in my mind (FYI everything is a rip off. There are literally something like 7 basic plots). But AK NEEEEEEEEEDS some loving. And this is it. I think it would fit better at DHS but I get it at AK. just think with a new eticket at AK maybe they can shut down and repair the yeti! *gasp*.

And for those of you bemoaning the raciness and violence have you paid attention to the measurements of the princesses? Or how miss swan dressed in potc? Off the high horses please.
    I agree with just about everything in this post. If "Avatar" went to Universal, there would be a mass revolt. It also would essentially solidify Universal's place as the premiere theme-park destination in Central Florida. Let's not forget that Universal's parks are still growing in annual attendance as a result of the Wizarding World. Disney's parks in Florida are most certainly not.

As for the PG-13 rating of the film, who the heck cares? Obviously, the "Avatar" experience will be appropriate for children, outside of an attraction or two with height requirements. The princesses walk around the park every day with their cleavage hanging out, and I don't hear anybody complaining about that. Heck, the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films are all rated PG-13 and the ride is still popular. The Tower of Terror has mature themes as well. Let's move on.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: