Quantcast Disney instituting Credit Card guarantee for ADRs after 10/26/2011

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney instituting Credit Card guarantee for ADRs after 10/26/2011

Just saw this on facebook from another site....

looks like this is going to be interesting...

main resturants will require a 24hour cancellation or a $10 per guest on ressie fee will be charged to credit card on file.

i kinda like this idea... but i have come across several times where Disney online reservations can not find my records to post online so that I can cancel them. Makes me wonder just how many are floating around out there that I am un aware of because online doesn't list them...
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This policy won't be for all restaurants, but it will be for 1900 Park Fare, Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, Artist Point, California Grill, Cape May Café, Chef Mickey’s, Cítricos, The Crystal Palace, Flying Fish Café, The Garden Grill, Hollywood & Vine, Jiko – The Cooking Place, Le Cellier Steakhouse, Narcoossee’s, ‘Ohana, Tusker House Restaurant, The Hollywood Brown Derby, Victoria & Albert’s - $25 per person, Yachtsman Steakhouse.

I'm thrilled by this. I know some folks like to make multiple ADRs so they can have their pick later, but it's really not fair to book an ADR and then decide not to use it, which keeps someone else from getting in who might really have wanted to dine there. Hopefully this will help.

Oh, and if you can't see your reservations online, click on the right side the button that says "update reservations." They will usually bring them up for you. Sometimes it's a little glitch in the system that causes them to not all appear but that always fixes it for me.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

i am a fan of this too...

hopefully using that update will display all possible ressies... i don't want any surprises on my card lol
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is an okay plan to prevent double (and triple) booking but I am wondering how it will be handled.

For example, I normally travel with my mom, my two kids and husband. If I know my mom isn't interested in a specific meal, I don't book it, but there have been times she decides at the last minute not to come. So, if I show up with 4 instead of 5, will I be charged $10 for her?

I also wonder if they are going to improve their mobile site to take the credit card info. I use my phone to book meals all the time. I often use it same day in the parks. The mobile site does not take credit card info and refers you to calling, so it appears if you want to book at any of these places you will have to call or use your computer. Just seems silly to not be able to book some of the most popular spots using the mobile site.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully this will open up more tables at the restaurants. I'm all for it.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

So... If you don't have a credit card, you're not able to make a reservation? There are TONS of people who don't have them. I don't understand it, but I know there are a lot.

And, they just take the number and hold it, or do they actually charge the card and you get a refund later. I know they charge HDD, and whatnot at the time of reservation, even though for the longest time they said they didn't.

People planning 180+ days in advance, I can see a lot of instances where the card used for the hold wouldn't be valid at the time of the reservation. For example, I don't get a replacement card for one that's expiring until like the month before. Many people change cards like their underwear to avoid fees, etc. This seems like it could be a nightmare...

Which is why I'm thinking they will charge up front, but then you have the whole problem with refunding money. That $10 guarantee actually turns out to be less than $10 to Disney once you take into account transaction fees, etc. But, as the customer, I want $10 back on my card, not $9.28... This could end up costing Disney money.

Interesting solution for sure...

Post Thanks / Like

I am all for this, but hope they will be nice enough to make an exception for emergencies. For example, we missed a restaurant reservation once due to a flight delay.
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I will be in the minority when I say that I don't like this policy. I think Disney should do a better job of making sure people aren't making mulitple reservations for the same day and time. I agree that it's not fair to allow people to do that, but I feel that this is the wrong way to go about fixing the problem.

Here's my question, what about people who are not trying to intentionally cheat the system? There are times when things come up and it is not possible to get to a reservation. For example, when my son was six months old my family had reservations for Ohana. On the way to the restaurant he had a diaper accident of unthinkable proportions. There was nothing to do but take him back to the room for a bath, missing the reservation. Under this new rule I would have been charged forty dollars for the adults that were unable to show up.

Just to me, this new rule seems to penalize those of us who have very small children. Life is slightly more unpredictable when your child is two as opposed to when your child is ten. I think that twenty four hours notice is crazy. My doctor doesn't even ask for that!

It just feels like Disney is picking my pocket again. Find a solution to the real problem, multiple reservations. Why add more stress to my vacations? Isn't it bad anough that I have to make reservations 180 days in advance in order to eat. Now, I have to worry about losing money if my family can not, legitimately, make it to a restaurant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    So... If you don't have a credit card, you're not able to make a reservation? There are TONS of people who don't have them. I don't understand it, but I know there are a lot.

And, they just take the number and hold it, or do they actually charge the card and you get a refund later. I know they charge HDD, and whatnot at the time of reservation, even though for the longest time they said they didn't.

People planning 180+ days in advance, I can see a lot of instances where the card used for the hold wouldn't be valid at the time of the reservation. For example, I don't get a replacement card for one that's expiring until like the month before. Many people change cards like their underwear to avoid fees, etc. This seems like it could be a nightmare...

Which is why I'm thinking they will charge up front, but then you have the whole problem with refunding money. That $10 guarantee actually turns out to be less than $10 to Disney once you take into account transaction fees, etc. But, as the customer, I want $10 back on my card, not $9.28... This could end up costing Disney money.

Interesting solution for sure...
    I know that recently when we booked Hoop Dee Doo review we forgot to tell them that we were on the dining plan and they charged my credit card. Once I called Disney Dining folks they reversed the charge on my credit card.

When I have booked Cali Grill in the past they never charged my credit card, they took it just in case of a no show. I am not sure what they would have charged per person in my party if we failed to show up.

My guess is if you are on the dining plan they will not charge you the full price up front.
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    And, they just take the number and hold it, or do they actually charge the card and you get a refund later.
    They only charge if you don't show up. No pre-charge.

Quote Originally Posted by starryeyes21 View Post
    Here's my question, what about people who are not trying to intentionally cheat the system? There are times when things come up and it is not possible to get to a reservation.
    That concern is valid. And I had that happen last month during our visit. Mid-afternoon my son wasn't feeling well so we decided to skip the reservation and go back to the room. The solution was simple, though. I just called the WDW-Dine number and cancelled my reservation. Took about 30 seconds. I could have done it from my smartphone as well, but I had left it in the room. So, while it might be a little hassle, canceling the reservation if you can't make it is all it takes to prevent being charged and that will open up the spot for a walk-up. Also, this does not apply to all restaurants (see my list in the post above).
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming if I already have ADRs at some of those restaurants for a January trip, I won't need to call them now and give them a CC number..?
    Is this just for ADRs made from here on out?
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Strmchsr: While what you are saying is completely reasonable and what responsible people do when unable to make a reservation, as per the new dining policy one would have to give twenty-four hours notice in order to not be penalized. This gives no wiggle room for emergencies.

To me, sadly, it seems like a way to take money without providing a service. There is no way that Disney requires twenty four hours to re-book a reservation slot. People are constantly looking for walk up reservations. So, Disney double dips. They charge you ten dollars per person and then they give the table to someone else who just walked up to the podium. That person then pays for a full dinner. I'm not saying that it's not genius. I'm just saying it's not fair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    That concern is valid. And I had that happen last month during our visit. Mid-afternoon my son wasn't feeling well so we decided to skip the reservation and go back to the room. The solution was simple, though. I just called the WDW-Dine number and cancelled my reservation. Took about 30 seconds.
    From what I read, there will be a 24-hour cancellation requirement. So, calling on the same day will still mean a charge. That totally stinks, because I have had to cancel ADRs on the same day due to illness on previous trips. I would raise holy heck if I had been charged. Do they want me to drag my vomiting child to the restaurant just so I can avoid being charged $60 (us plus 4 kids) for missing the reservation?!?
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starryeyes21 View Post
    I guess I will be in the minority when I say that I don't like this policy. I think Disney should do a better job of making sure people aren't making mulitple reservations for the same day and time. I agree that it's not fair to allow people to do that, but I feel that this is the wrong way to go about fixing the problem.
    +1.

It should not be possible to book more than one ADR per meal slot (B,L,D) per day, except in specific circumstances which a call to Disney Dining could authorize. For example, people who want to eat "lunch" at 3:30pm and then the latest possible "dinner" - would technically be two dinners.

That's rare though, and simply not allowing multiple ADR's per slot would certainly solve some of the problems with booked-solid restaurants.
    Early 1980's sometime - Offsite
    ... large hazy period ...
    01/99 - AS Music
    01/01 - AS Movies
    01/02 - AS Sports/AKL
    09/02 - Disneyland PARIS
    01/03 - Contemporary
    04/03 - Fort Wilderness
    01/04 - Offsite :(
    03/05 - CBR
    09/05 - Beach Club
    12/05 - OKW
    04/06 - OKW
    09/07 - CBR
    12/11 - PO:FQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Basket Mommy View Post
    From what I read, there will be a 24-hour cancellation requirement. So, calling on the same day will still mean a charge.
    You're right. I went back and double-checked the press release. I'm guessing, however, that there will be some contingency plan for emergencies. Granted, that might open another loophole for abusing the system, but I don't think Disney wants the PR nightmare of people being charged $40+ because their child starts 2 hours before the ADR. I don't see any fine print in the release, but I'll definitely email Disney about it and see what their response is once they implement this.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Default But, Disney does not have true dining Reservations.

I would not mind paying $10 if I knew that when I arrived MY table would be ready. But, I don't truly have a reservation. Remember, Disney does not have dining reservations. (see info central) I will just get the first table available and as of right now Disney has over booked (its the system) and needs people to not show up. If everyone shows up the first two weeks of November when I will be there, they will be serving dinner all night long. I have had my reservations since July and have worked very, very hard to get them. I am with a group of 11 and we are eating at all of the listed restaurants. I also am dealing with an issue with Disney. On one night I have a reservation listed at O'hana and 1990 Park Fare. I have tried and tried to cancel the 1900 Park Fare reservation but they cannot get it off of my reservations. I have tried canceling myself and it will not cancel. They have assured me it is not a problem. Today, it is really looking like an expensive problem!
    LuAnn
    *Love that Mouse!~~"Are We There Yet?"
    Go UD!
    GO Dayton Flyers!

Post Thanks / Like

I like it! One ressie per meal should be enough, even in the planning stage.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious - I booked an ADR for 1900 Park fare and I did not give a cc (for a January 2012 ADR) so how does that work? should I have given a card? they didn't ask for one so I knew nothing about it......

Disneyfan328
    Pittsburgh PA
    3/97 - All Star Music
    9/07 Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2009All Star Movie~Wedding Anniversary!
    January 2012 All Star Movies
    December 2013 - All Star Movies to celebrate birthdays!
    Planning our December 2015 "Paige's Sweet 16" Birthday Trip -Art of Animation!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan328 View Post
    I am curious - I booked an ADR for 1900 Park fare and I did not give a cc (for a January 2012 ADR) so how does that work? should I have given a card? they didn't ask for one so I knew nothing about it......
    I believe this policy is only for ADRs made on or after Oct 26. I am assuming it will not apply to ADRs already made.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Default Press Release

Strmchsr: where did you see this press release? I've been looking for it online and can't find it. Thanks!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: