Quantcast Paterno Fired?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paterno Fired?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paterno Fired?

Rumors are starting to circulate that he is out. Not good enough. He and anyone else who knew and didn't report it to the police should be arrested.
    Jeff

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Listen, I don't pretend to know all the details but from what I've heard thus far I tend to agree with you.

I can't rationalize Paterno's response here. If that was me, you'd have had to pry me off of Sandusky to prevent me from choking the life out of him (figuratively speaking).

At a minimum, I can't fathom not immediately calling the police. I don't see any way JoePa can survive this. Nor should he.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

What I have read today, details of which Intercot's TOS do not allow repeating, left me speechless. If Joe really was told what the Graduate Assistant claims he told Joe, then tar and feathering would be appropriate.

I believe Joe released a statement claiming to have not been told the details the GA claims to have relayed, but I don't think he will survive it either way.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    If Joe really was told what the Graduate Assistant claims he told Joe, then tar and feathering would be appropriate.
    Or too kind, depending on who you ask.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

What a sad day for all the families involved. There is no excuse for this behavior or covering it up. I hope all involved will be let go. My youngest just graduated from PSU this year and is heartbroken.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought I would see the day that I would be embarrassed to be a Penn State Alumni.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disney obsessed View Post
    I never thought I would see the day that I would be embarrassed to be a Penn State Alumni.
    Don't be embarassed. You are still part of a great legacy. Let's hope that all involved are let go and charged for whatever their involvement may have been.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

Sick and sad! And tar and feathering not enough.
    Cassi
    1987 on site and Disney cruise
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Sept.28- Oct.4 2008 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    January 2009 Bonnet Creek
    Sept 28 - Oct. 4 2009 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ
    Coming Soon! Feb. 12-19 2012 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot help but feel that way. Anyone who goes to Penn State, or lives in the area ( I grew up there too), knows that Penn State Football is like a religion. It is a way of life, a lifestyle choice, a part of my soul. It helped shape who I am. I feel that I have been dissapointed by a parent. I cannot help it. I guess this is how my grief will play out.

It is a lot like my obsession with Disney World. To me, Joe Paterno is like Walt Disney. The creator of the fantasyland that is Happy Valley.

I am very sad and disappointed that I will now associate something so horriffic with something so wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got an ESPN ScoreCenter alert that Paterno is retiring, effective the end of the season.

Post Thanks / Like

The whole thing is beyond....

Paterno won't get fired, I do believe he will resign on his own at the end of the season. Not really the way he wanted to leave...
    He did report what he knew back in 2002. Penn State higher ups are at fault here.

So sad maddening, working in the field I do to hear that "At Risk Youths" were so horribly abused by someone they trusted. It is sick. These kids had enough on their plates without being sexually abused.
    I hope and pray that justice is served, and this monster will never hurt another child again.
    Penn State or not, this can not be tolerated!!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Just got an ESPN ScoreCenter alert that Paterno is retiring, effective the end of the season.
    Oh, that's nice of him.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I just saw your post Melanie... It was how I suspected.

Julie
    Next Up:

2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    He did report what he knew back in 2002. Penn State higher ups are at fault here.
    My understanding is that in PA, yes, he did not have to report to the cops. But I just heard a prosecutor from NY say that there, and many other states, he would have to report to police (or some other official agency.) How that's not a law in all states is beyond me.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    The whole thing is beyond....

PHe did report what he knew back in 2002. Penn State higher ups are at fault here.
    It really is beyond horrible, truly unimaginable. I think the problem everyone has is that there is a big difference between legal obligations and moral obligations. The first instinct should always be to protect the innocent ... especially the children. If Paterno had knowledge and failed to follow up on protecting the victims, then he failed morally ... as a Christian, as a human being. He failed and so did the higher ups.

This is a quote from a good espn article today about the failures and the problem with power: "For each expression of outrage, we've been here before with the failures by churches, police departments and teams. Somewhere, each institution committed the fatal mistake of believing that power was not a privilege to be handled with great care and humility but instead a license to be above trust. The powerful often have forgotten whom they are supposed to serve."

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    It really is beyond horrible, truly unimaginable. I think the problem everyone has is that there is a big difference between legal obligations and moral obligations. The first instinct should always be to protect the innocent ... especially the children. If Paterno had knowledge and failed to follow up on protecting the victims, then he failed morally ... as a Christian, as a human being. He failed and so did the higher ups.

This is a quote from a good espn article today about the failures and the problem with power: "For each expression of outrage, we've been here before with the failures by churches, police departments and teams. Somewhere, each institution committed the fatal mistake of believing that power was not a privilege to be handled with great care and humility but instead a license to be above trust. The powerful often have forgotten whom they are supposed to serve."
    I agree 100%!!!!
    Ever wonder how he sleeps at night????? More victims are coming forward. He could have done something to STOP it, 9 years ago and didn't take it further. More kids were abused.
    That's on him all for football? You know what, if he followed up with the police, Penn State Football would have gone on.
    Legally he did speak up once and was shut down. Morally he failed on every level.
    Pray for those who were so violated.
    Julie
    Next Up:

2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

This story is so sickening. What a way for Paterno to go out like this! How could any of them not think about the poor children involved!!!? I know winning is important but my gosh.....never more important than the well being of a child! So sad what those kids have to live with!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disney obsessed View Post
    Anyone who goes to Penn State, or lives in the area ( I grew up there too), knows that Penn State Football is like a religion. It is a way of life, a lifestyle choice, a part of my soul. It helped shape who I am. I feel that I have been dissapointed by a parent. I cannot help it. I guess this is how my grief will play out.

It is a lot like my obsession with Disney World. To me, Joe Paterno is like Walt Disney. The creator of the fantasyland that is Happy Valley.

I am very sad and disappointed that I will now associate something so horriffic with something so wonderful.
    I went to Arizona State, now live in CA, but our family used to attend the Fiesta Bowl in AZ every year for more than a decade. We saw many Penn State appearances and saw Paterno and their loyal fans win each game that they were there. Certainly a sad time for Penn State, but of course worse for the victims. Not the way anyone wanted to see Paterno leave Penn State or to have the events associated with the school.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Here's his statement... tell me this isn't arrogant and egotistical.

"I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

"I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

"That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more. My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this university."
    At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address.
    Yea Joe, you still have the integraty to tell the trustees what to do.
    My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination.
    Dignity? ... DIGNITY!?!?!?!
    Are you serious?

How is this guy not yet fired?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Paterno should not be allowed to finish the season. He showed a lack of integrity and should not be permitted to coach any more.

Today my daughter wore her 100 days to Thon shirt proudly. There is more to PSU than football. Let's hope the victims get the justice they deserve and the currents students are able to get back to their college routines.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    SSR 7/7