Quantcast Too Young to Go to Disneyworld?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Too Young to Go to Disneyworld?

Hello. My husband's family wants us all to go to DW together. We originally planned the trip a couple of years ago and planned to go Dec 2012. His sister has 5 kids and his mom would also go. We have 4 kids. By then, they will be 7, almost 5, and my twin boys will be almost 2 1/2. When we originally planned the trip it was before I got pregnant with the twins. So they still want to go. We plan on driving 20+ hours to FL to save money on airfare. What are your opinions on going? What have your experiences been? Do you think the kids are too young to go? Even if we get a good package it's still not something we can afford to do every year. I would expect maybe in a few years we could go again. Maybe. I'm just looking for suggestions and advice and for other people's experiences. Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, first off to Intercot!

Next, I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I think since you won't be able to make many trips that you wait another couple years before taking your kids. I have 4 jam eaters as well and know how difficult it can be to keep them together, especially at those ages. If you wait a couple years, your oldest will only be 9 and the youngest two will be 5. At those ages they are a little more self capable and I think they (and you) will enjoy your time more. If you do go Dec 2012, I'm sure you'll still have a good time, but in my opinion it'll just be a little more labour intensive and stressful. Good luck and have a great time whenever you do go!!
    Grumpy.
    Genius by birth, Grumpy by choice.

Trips:
    A few times in the 70's
    Grew up, made a family then:
    Sep 2009 POP
    Dec 2010 POP
    Sep 2011 POP

Next up: 23SEP-07OCT12

Post Thanks / Like

I realize you cannot go often, but I'm going to share my experiences with ages to give you info. We have 2 kids currently 8 and 6.5.

My son went for the first time at 10 months, then 14 months. Then 4, 5, 6, 7 and we're planning to go in April when he's 8.5.

My daughter went at 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 6 and will be almost 7 in April.

My favorite trip was definitely when they were 5 and 3.5. We went at Christmas on a whim for 4 nights and 5 days. We stayed at the All Star Movies resort and it was the time of our lives. We didn't do thrill rides and mostly hung out in Fantasyland and the kid things at the Studios. That trip was their first time on Haunted Mansion and Pirates when they actually remembered and liked it.

The trips are different every time we go. The kids interests change, their thrill level changes, and we see different things with each trip. The most recent at 7 & 6 we went on less rides, and did more shows and entertainment, like Kim Possible in EPCOT which is now their favorite activity - by far!

In summary, I don't think there's a right or wrong time to take your family. With a bigger family, everyone will be into something different. I suggest you consider what rides you want to see your kids enjoy and what you want to do with them, and then decide. We Disney fanatics, so seeing our very little kids enjoy Fantasyland is a memory forever. It really depends on what memories you want to create.
    Feb 1990 - FW
    Oct 2000 - YC
    Sept 2001 - MK
    May 2002 - DL
    Sept 2004 - BW
    Dec 2004 - WL
    Feb 2005 - POFQ
    Oct 2007 - FW CABIN
    Dec 2008 - ASMov
    Oct 2009 - DVC Member!
    Jan 2010 - SSR
    Aug 2011 - BLT, Universal, BCV
    April 2012 - WL Villas
    Feb 2013 - Disneyland!

Post Thanks / Like

I say go! Please please don't take this next part wrong...I used to stress over stuff like that too...but none of us know where we will be tomorrow, much less years from now. I live each day to the fullest, and whenever I have a chance to go to Disney, I go. I would not hold off a trip because anything can happen and the future trip may never happen. Again, that probably sounds a little morbid, but really, life is short, live each day to the fullest! 6 weeks to our next trip...we are in the short rows now Whenever you go, have a great time!!!!
    [I]Hello. We are the Bradshaws. And We are Disneyholics.

September 2000- Music
    June 2004- Pop
    June 2006- Movies
    February 2008- Offsite (Won't Do That Again!)
    May 2009- First Ever Disney Camping Trip!
    June 2011- Pop
    Feb 2012- Sports
    Dec 2012- Movies
    May 2014- Pop

Post Thanks / Like

PS...Our first trip dd was 2 1/2 and we had the best time!! She doesnt remember it, but we loved loved loved watching her take in all the experiences, and we have great photos and memories!!!
    [I]Hello. We are the Bradshaws. And We are Disneyholics.

September 2000- Music
    June 2004- Pop
    June 2006- Movies
    February 2008- Offsite (Won't Do That Again!)
    May 2009- First Ever Disney Camping Trip!
    June 2011- Pop
    Feb 2012- Sports
    Dec 2012- Movies
    May 2014- Pop

Post Thanks / Like

For a long time we subscribed to the older is better school of thought, waiting to take kids to WDW when they were at least 7. Then one year we had a lot of interest in DH's family and wound up with a 2 year old and a 3 year old in the group, mostly because their parents themselves wanted to visit.

It is definitely a different sort of visit with little guys. But most of the time, when they're tired, they sleep. Even if it's meal time. And definitely we had a different perspective, after seeing Disney through their eyes. The 2 and 3 year olds are now 19 and 20 and every few years, their visits allowed us to see a different Disney.

Strollers are a must and it's best to plan little and expect even less. It's just fun to see what catches their attention and go with that. Our extended family tends to think of Walt Disney World as an experience that includes more than rides in parks, so a trip with fewer rides or less park time, even, is still a fun trip.

With the differing ages, and since you have several adults along, many of your older kids can still enjoy the rides and attractions while others can experience the World with the littler kids.

Welcome to Intercot. Keep browsing the boards, doing searches, etc., and you will find lots of helpful info.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Both of my children started going to Disney World at about 10 months. My oldest is 6 now and my youngest is 3 1/2. I haven't regretted taking them at any age.

For both of mine 2 12 was a good age. They are older enough to be interested in characters and understand what is going on but not so old that they are too scared of rides. The only issue I found at that age is that some of the shows are very loud and both my children were sensitive to that.

As far as advice, remember to go at their pace and not worry about what you miss. Traveling with young children is very different than with adults. Commando park style has never worked well for us.

We take the stroller, usually do one sit down meal (character sometimes) a day, take it slow, and leave ample time for the kids to go back to the hotel and rest or play in the pool.

One thing I do recommend taking advantage of is the baby centers even at that age. If your children are still in diapers, they are a great place to change them. There are high chairs for feeding if you have your own snacks. They are air conditioned and usually have a tv playing cartoons so they are a great place to rest.

My final thought is some people may say that it is not worth it because they will not remember and true they may not remember much, but I do remember each visit and the joy they had going to the parks and they can relive it through pictures and videos.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with the previous posters. I have taken my boys since they were in diapers. Yes, at times, it was a challenge...but I wouldn't trade the memories for anything!! I don't regret a moment of it. Disney makes it so convenient for parents of toddlers. My older son (11) still wishes we could use baby-swap...his younger brother is 7 !! They laugh about what characters they used to be scared of, the rides they were afraid to go on...priceless!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I guess it comes down to if you want the kids to remember the trip forever or if you want everyone to have a great time. We took our DSs when our youngest was 11months old and then when he was 2.5. I am not sure if he remembers eveything first hand or from the book I made after the trip but he still talks about it all the time and he just turned five. He loved both trips. We took our DD to Disneyland this summer and she was just 18 months. She loved it. Whenever she sees a commercial for DisneyWorld she says "Go to Mickey's house?" We have so many happy memories of the trips when they were so small. We only make it to Disney every few years. They are so stinking cute at that age!!!! They have all the fun without all the whining.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I think the key is, how intense are your Disney vacations? Do you like to get up early, and do Morning Extra Magic Hours, then stay late for Evening EMH at another park to make sure you see everything? If so, you may want to wait a couple years - or change your Disney methods... If not, enjoy!
    I've seen so many parents drag their young children all over the parks, when it's obvious to see that the kids just want to take a break/go to sleep. That leads to stressful vacations for everyone (including guests around those parents). With young kids, you need to take things slow, take some breaks, and you probably won't see the fireworks at night. If you go, take it slow, go at the little ones' pace, and enjoy the time without trying to cram everything into one vacation.
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

Sam Eagle: "WILL YOU STOP THIS FOOLISHNESS!"
    Gonzo: "What Foolishness would you like to see?"

Post Thanks / Like

I've brought my girls since they were 3 and 2 and it was a thrill for me to see the reactions on their faces when interacting with the characters and going on the rides. No one is ever too young to enjoy the World!

Going next Dec will actually be cheaper for you than if you wait until they're older because you won't have to pay for the twins!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with the "they wont remember but you will" thought.
    we have awesome memories of having our son there when he was a baby.
    the key is your expectations.
    if at least one of you can relax and keep the babies happy (naps, etc.) without feeling like you are "missing out" its a perfectly good time.
    if you plan to go-go-go without regard to their moods than it can turn very stressful very fast.
    there is a reason why people scream at their kids and their kids cry so much, you have to respect the little one's schedule.
    you might want to stick it out and ride one more ride but they may be exhausted and need to get back to the hotel and wind down and get some rest.

bottom line, go!
    just temper your expectations and enjoy your time with the little guys.
    16 FW, SS
    15 CS, FW
    14 CS,FW,POR
    13 BCW
    12 BC
    11 BC
    10 FW
    09 DEC
    08 FW,POR
    07 OK, SS, CBR, POR
    06 POLY,AS,FW,YC
    05 SS,FW
    04 GF,CR,POLY,POP,ASM
    03 BC,WL
    02 AKL
    01 WLV,GF
    00 BC
    99 POLY, POR
    98 CS,BW
    97 C
    96 FQ,OK
    95 CB,BW
    94 WL
    93 OKW
    92 DL
    91 RMG
    90 RMG
    83 TH
    76 V
    71 HI

Post Thanks / Like

I always tell people: Don't put off making memories with your family.

True, they may not remember this trip entirely when they're older, but that's not the point.
    If you celebrate birthdays or Christmas with them right now, they're not going to remember those things either when they're older... but you still do it for them, right? Because they enjoy it as it's happening, and YOU get the memories. You probably cherish the pictures of them opening their Christmas gifts, or chowing down on their birthday cakes... just like you'd cherish the pictures of their toddler eyes wider than anything at the sight of Mickey Mouse.

Why put off those things? I always thought that age was soooo special for my kids at Disney -- that's when everything was REAL. It was the REAL Mickey Mouse and Cinderella standing there. Now my kids talk about "The guy in the suit".

Trust me, you won't regret this trip.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

My sons first trip was at 18 months. We have gone every other year (sometimes two years in a row) since with no problems.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm echoing many of the previous responses but want to add this addendum to the "they'll never remember it" sentiments.

We took our youngest when he was 10 months old and his "older" brother was 20 months. We went again when they were 2 and 3 year old. But they say that they DO remember things about the trip. They look at our photo albums and love flipping through "remembering" the trip. I'm not sure they actually remember but they love knowing that they were there as "babies" visiting Mickey Mouse and the rest of the gang. My son's favorite picture is of him when he was almost 2, saying hello to Donald Duck.

I say, Go! You won't regret it.

P.S. If you'd like tips about traveling with young ones (which I have done many, many times) I'd be happy to shoot you an email. Just private message me with your address.
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Take them all now. Take lots of photos. Make memory books of the trip for each of the kids. Bring the memory books out so often and relive the trip. Then, when you've saved enough money to go again, go again.

Yes, these memories will be more for you than for the twins, but do not pass up an opportunity to go to such a magical place with extended family. Remember that WDW is a place used to that age group, there is ride share, understanding Cast Members, and strangers that will smile at you and tell you that your children are precious when you think they are at their worst (I try my hardest to do this for fellow families of multiple birth children).
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Driving 20 + hours with two toddlers in a car does sound kind of rough.. you would definitely have to plan extra time to take breaks and maybe even spend a night somewhere. I'm sure others have done it just fine but I would probably fly myself. We took our 13 month old and while it WAS a lot of work it's not like it's the type of thing we are going to do every year and we DO plan on taking him back when he's a little older. Plus in our situation our whole family went and it was a once in a several years opportunity to go with them and have a real family vacation.

Just keep in mind the time of year you are taking them, the heat. And the crowds. These factors makes things a little tricky. You can rent one of those city mini double strollers for the toddlers. It is definitely doable but prepare yourself and think wisely! If it was me, I would do it..... but I would probably fly depending on how I thought my children would do on a plane. Things are not the same with a family + young kids but there are definitely ups and downs! As hard as it was taking a young child I think it was harder to just adjust to a large family's needs and coplexities. DH and I went out with DS a few times by ourselves and we had the absolute best and most amazing time when we were alone... but we still enjoyed family (88% of the time )
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

As other have said, it is so nice to experience the different parts if disney at different ages. Each trip is different. If we had waited we would have never have done a lot of the preschool shows, rides etc., they were great. I am hoping my kids are finally old enough to do all of the thrill rides w/ me on our upcoming trip.

We also went with the expectation that we would go at their pace and not expect to see/do everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Plan for pleasure

Welcome. You can do it and we can help.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evelyn877 View Post
    Hello. My husband's family wants us all to go to DW together. We originally planned the trip a couple of years ago and planned to go Dec 2012. His sister has 5 kids and his mom would also go. We have 4 kids. By then, they will be 7, almost 5, and my twin boys will be almost 2 1/2. When we originally planned the trip it was before I got pregnant with the twins. So they still want to go. We plan on driving 20+ hours to FL to save money on airfare. What are your opinions on going? What have your experiences been? Do you think the kids are too young to go? Even if we get a good package it's still not something we can afford to do every year. I would expect maybe in a few years we could go again. Maybe. I'm just looking for suggestions and advice and for other people's experiences. Thanks!
    I agree with lots of people who have commented in support of taking younger kids as long as you go along on their schedule. But there are a few things you haven't mentioned that will DEFINITELY factor into how your vacation will go.

1) Traveling with your husband's family: Have you ever done it before? Do you know what your sis-in-law's family's travel "style" is -- e.g. relaxed, planned to the hilt, take it slow or go-go-go, etc.? Are your kids comparable ages to hers? Will you be able to split up without objection to go back to your room for naps/breaks/get-away-from-you-people sanity time?

2) Travel dates: When in December are you planning to go? Christmastime or earlier in the month? The earlier, the better, as crowds pick up the closer it is to Christmas.

Keeping these things in mind should help you with your decision, and if you decide to go, in your planning. Good luck!
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.