Quantcast Good Books?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Books?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Books?

Hello all,

I am getting a Kindle Touch for Christmas and I'm looking forward to it because I cannot tell you the last time I read for pleasure. I used to read for pleasure all the time but that was waaay before graduate school and college... I'm determined to read some books for ME before I start the semester again next month. However, my biggest issue is...I don't know what the good books are anymore!

I know the Hunger Games are supposed to be good and I have the first one queued up to go when I get my Kindle. I also actually DID read The Help and enjoyed it.

So...what is everybody reading these days? I tend to go more towards suspense and mysteries, I think. Not into romance as much I used to be but I did like Nora Roberts...

Any suggestions?
    TTFN,
    Rose

1998 (10 YO & 1st time!)
    2002 (14 YO & 2nd time)
    June 12 2006 (18 & by myself!)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well since you say it's been awhile since you have read... Have you read any of "the girl with the dragon tattoo" books?
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I just read Room by Emma Donoghue. It was gripping and emotional, satisfying ending. I'm also working my way through the Song of Fire and Ice series, which is the Game of Thrones series on HBO. Game of Thrones is the first book, by George RR Martin. If you haven't read The Help, By Kathryn Stockett, I recommend that one. The Hunger Games series was fantastic, loved it, so yes, that's a good place to start.

If you like Nora Roberts, you might like books by Dee Davis, Julia London, or Jacquie D'Alessandro (but I'm biased, they are my best friends). If you think you might enjoy revisiting classics with a vampire twist, you could try Jane Slayre, which is Jane Eyre retold with Jane as a vampire slayer, or Grave Expectations, by Sherri Browning Erwin, aka sbetigg. And you can buy through Intercot's Amazon link and help the site while adding to your reading pleasure.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I read all the True Blood books, actually called The Sookie Stackhouse novels or the Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris... Very good books... The Game of Throne series is excellent... The Inheritence Cycle books, about dragons starting with Eragon, are good books... Also started reading The House of Night series, yes more vampire books, and so far so good...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

The Outlander by Diana Gabladon was really good. Little bit of romance and a lot of historical drama. It was a fun read and part of a series. First novel was 600 pages so it pulls you in for a while.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    The Outlander by Diana Gabladon was really good. Little bit of romance and a lot of historical drama. It was a fun read and part of a series. First novel was 600 pages so it pulls you in for a while.
    If you like Diana Gabaldon, you might also like Marsha Canham, who is republishing all her earlier books (some of which inspired Gabaldon) as ebooks for very low prices.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I just tore through the Hunger Games trilogy... you might want to get all three books at once (which you can) rather than paying for them one at a time. It's the first time in a long time that I read for pleasure. Except I gobbled them!

Another good book is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I'm reaqding Stephen King's new book 11/22/63 - I'm about 100 pages in and so far so good. Not sure what types of books you like but Janet Evanovich books (the Stephanie Plum series) are pretty good.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

I just started reading the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich or however you spell it. There are 18 books now in this murder mystery series and each books has a number in the title such as One for the Money. My co-workers have read most of the books so far and they love them. I just finished #1. I would also recommend a series by Joanne Flukes which are murder mysteries and each title has a dessert in it's name such as Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder and there are recipes inside each book. Happy Reading!

Post Thanks / Like

I work at our library in town and would recommend you go in and talk to an info person and also look at the slips they provide on different authors (we have them everywhere and they say "If you like Stephen King--or whoever, then you might like to read X author). I started reading a few Classics like Agatha Christie, Fitzgerald, and also Anne Rice, etc. Sherry's books (Jane Slayre, etc) are getting good reviews from our patrons and they should. Dan Silva and David Baldacci are really hot right now, they do spy and mystery novels. One of my friends from HS just got his novel optioned for a movie, it's a horror historical fiction piece "Those Across the River" by Chris Buehlman, it's very good, but scary (Charleine Harris even wrote a rec on the book jacket for him). I devoured V.C. Andrews in high school, but not now since they have another guy writing as her after she passed away. I like to read teen and YA novels, too like Sarah Dessen and Lauren Myracle. Unbroken is really good, it is non-fiction, I have Steve Jobs biography put on hold now, and can't wait to read it. I have a friend who likes Kristen Hannah a lot, many great books out there, too little time haha

Post Thanks / Like

Book series that I enjoy:

Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt series
    Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series
    Andy Mcdermott's Wilde/Chase series
    Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen series
    Brad Thor's Scott Harvath series

of course these are all action/adventure series
    Off site Jan '92
    AS Music April '97, Dec '98
    AS Movies Oct 2000, Jan 03, Jan 05, Jan 06
    Pop Aug 06, Pop Jan 07
    Pop Aug 07, Pop Aug 08
    Pop Aug 09, Pop Aug 10
    Pop Aug 11, Pop Aug '12, AoA Aug '13
    Pop Dec '13 Aug '14, Jan '15, Aug '15

Next Trip: Pop Aug '16

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy James Pattersons Women's Murder Club Series - He's written several - I think he's up to number 10 now.

I'm going to send you a message to a link that will send you links to free books for your kindle.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a librarian. If you are interested, I can send you a link to my website (library's website) that has recommended Reader's Advisory websites...in other words, they help you decide what to read next based on what you already like.

Post Thanks / Like

You might also try the Hidden Mickey book series. They are an interesting read.

One of our fellow Intercotee's is also an author and she might suggest her books. I haven't read them yet, but a friend of mine has and she really enjoyed them.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

If you like Nora Roberts you might like her "Death in" series that she writes as JD Robb. Love them!
    Also Christine Feehan has a lot of good books as well.
    șoșKathyșoș TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on your taste for authors, I tend to be a more Stephen king reader and the like. So I would recommend duma's key by Stephen king and bag of bones (oldy but a goody) and definitely the house of night series by a mother and daughter named pc cast and Kristin cast, excellent series, but more along the lines of a teen/young adult series about vampires but better than the twilight series IMO. Let me know what your taste of books are. I have an arsenal of books, literally could open my own library. I had to start keeping books at DBF's house because I ran out of room in my book cases. Lol.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Tink, Stephen King just came to the WalMart I shop at a couple weeks ago for a book signing. I heard his latest book is great 11/22/63, has elements of time travel.

I just finished Miss Peregine's Home for Peculiar Children and really enjoyed it! Am now reading Steve Jobs book.

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

The first two Hunger Games books are very good. I didn't like the last one so much. All of them are worth reading, though.

Right now, I'm reading a series my LA Meyer called Bloody Jack. They're pirate books. I love pirate books. I'm only on the first one right now, but it's really good so far. It's not as gruesome as the title makes it seem.

Have you read the Peter and the Starcatchers series? They're by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson, and they're like prequels to Peter Pan. Not everything is accurate with the original novel, but it's very entertaining, and makes a great story.

Harry Potter is my absolute favorite book series. Ever.

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer is also great.

Sorry, I'm probably going too far into the 'fantasy' genre for you, but that's pretty much all I read.
    Last edited by CanadianWDWFan; 01-13-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Removed link - TOS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1 View Post
    Tink, Stephen King just came to the WalMart I shop at a couple weeks ago for a book signing. I heard his latest book is great 11/22/63, has elements of time travel.
    I'm jealous!! Closest he came to my area was Boston, which is just way out of the way for me lol. I bought 11/22/63 the day it came out, haven't even started it yet!! lol
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

11/22/63 is amazing!! I started reading it a few weeks ago on my break from college, and I cannot put it down!! It is a definite must read
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??