Quantcast Flight help.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Flight help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flight help.

We live near Toronto and have always flown out of Toronto. This year we plan on a 2 hour drive to Buffalo and fly to WDW from there. For 4 of us it is a savings in excess of 1000$.

My question to you is this, I am not at all familiar with the american airlines. Is there some I should steer clear of, and is there some that are exceptional? We are looking for an affordable flight, but are willing to spend a bit more because it will probably still be way cheaper then Toronto.

Thx for any help.
    WDW x 12
    DL x 2
    DCL x 3
    DVC circa 2007

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the airlines are pretty similar. I have never had good luck with American Airlines (AA) so I avoid them. Delta has always been good, for me.

My airline of choice is Southwest. They are usually cheaper than other major airlines, and they don't charge for bags like the others do. They are also not listed on any of the major OTA sites like Expedia or Orbitz, so you have to book direct from site. Another 'underdog' airline that i like is Frontier.
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, fellow Southern Ontario Intercotee!
    We actually don't like flying out of Buffalo because there aren't a lot of direct flights to Orlando (and I hate transferring to another plane). So we always fly out of Detroit. I think it has a much nicer airport as well.
    It would probably add an extra hour to your drive though if you went through Detroit but it's definitely worth it if you want to avoid a layover. Either way, you're right, it's a LOT cheaper than flying out of Toronto. As soon as it becomes an "international" flight the price goes waaaay up so if you can drive across the border, it's much cheaper.
    Anyway, I don't think you need to steer clear of any airline in particular. Usually we drive to Florida but we'll be flying Delta in a few weeks instead... just to change things up.
    Actually, over the past year I've taken several flights on other vacations and I always end up picking Delta flights, just by coincidence. Never had a problem with them! But as I say, I don't think you need to steer clear of any one in particular.
    Most likely your choices are going to be Delta, American Airlines, or a smaller charter company like Air Tran. I don't think Southwest has many flights from Buffalo to Orlando but I could be wrong.
    You can sign up at websites like AirfareWatchdog if you wanna keep track of when good seat sales come up with all airlines. Then when you're ready to book, we usually do Orbitz or Expedia.

Hope that helps!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Jet Blue flys direct from Buffalo to Orlando. I think Southwest might also. I would avoid Delta, American, etc. because of the extra "fees" they charge, like baggage fees (Air Tran I've heard charges you to check in at the counter instead of checking in ahead). $25 per bag time 4 is $100 each way. I always had flown Delta in the past from Boston, but I refuse to pay for my luggage to fly and now I fly Jet Blue. Always check prices on a Tuesday or Wednesday as they are the lowest and don't book too far in advance. The price goes way down a couple months before your trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Delta used to change flights like underwear. I haven't heard people complain lately, maybe people have just stopped flying them...

We fly Southwest, it's really the only airline I check. They have never let me down, so I'm in no rush to switch, I'm pretty loyal like that.

If you're going solely by price, don't forget to include checked bag fees, carry-on rules, and also parking fees at the airport. I've seen anywhere between $50 and $100 per week just for parking at our local airport.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Most likely your choices are going to be Delta, American Airlines, or a smaller charter company like Air Tran. I don't think Southwest has many flights from Buffalo to Orlando but I could be wrong.
    The only airlines offering non-stop BUF/MCO flights are Southwest (3 daily) and JetBlue (2 daily). The other airlines operating out of BUF will only have connecting flights out of Washington or Atlanta.

Just to clarify, AirTran is a regular scheduled airline, not a charter company. In fact, they are now owned and operated by Southwest. As their merger progresses, expect to see the AirTran name go away.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much all, some I hadn't heard of. Let the planning begin.
    WDW x 12
    DL x 2
    DCL x 3
    DVC circa 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Just to clarify, AirTran is a regular scheduled airline, not a charter company. In fact, they are now owned and operated by Southwest. As their merger progresses, expect to see the AirTran name go away.
    And prices go up as well. People are seeing with less competition now, Southwest fares are creeping up. This might be one of those markets it happens with.

BTW - Southwest seems to be on the few months before flight is the best time to by cycle. I think they switch it up, used to be earlier is better, but lately, as you approach your date, the fares seem to drop.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what your dates are, but right now it looks like Southwest has the best prices for flights from Buffalo to Orlando in Jun/July. $134 each way. They do have 9 flights/day to Orlando (3 of them nonstop) and 6 flights/day back (3 of them nonstop).

And if you happen to be going in February, there's a $99 special today only.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

We always fly delta now... We have the Delta Skymiles Gold Card so we always get 1st bag free.... But we like going first class so that now allots us 3-70lb bags free every trip. Plus we get 1.5x miles on our card so then we can get even more money off future flights.
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

oh you silly southern ontario people, don't know how good you have it! able to fly direct to anywhere you want, and you still drive 2 hours away. I'm only joking as I would too to save $1000, but when you have to pay $4000 to fly 4 people to Orlando and you only have 2 options (air canada and westjet) and you have to have at least 1 connection, if not 2 then you become pretty envious of anyone who lives around toronto. Ok thats my NL rant over with!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes but you get the beautiful east coast sights. My DW is from Nova Scotia so I do envy you, 2 stop overs and all eh.
    WDW x 12
    DL x 2
    DCL x 3
    DVC circa 2007

Post Thanks / Like

*sigh* Being 2 hours north of Calgary, even driving to the States to fly is not "do-able". I bet I could save a ton of money if I could! Wouldn't even know what city would by the best one to try to drive to....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    *sigh* Being 2 hours north of Calgary, even driving to the States to fly is not "do-able". I bet I could save a ton of money if I could! Wouldn't even know what city would by the best one to try to drive to....
    Definitely a lack of airport choices in the US south of Calgary. You could drive all day to Helena, MT for flights to Orlando. Spokane, WA seems to have better prices but that's another couple of hours more driving on worse roads.

For mid-May I saw $259 one way from Helena and $150 something to $218 one way from Spokane on Kayak. Was just messing around and didn't notice airlines or how many stops.

Jan

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: