Quantcast Staying at Portofino..what time do they actually let you in to Harry Potter World???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Staying at Portofino..what time do they actually let you in to Harry Potter World???

We are staying at Portofino bay and realize that they let you into Wizarding World of HP 1 hour earlier than the general public. Do they let you in the main gate of IOA one hour early or do they let you into the park earlier than that, but make you wait outside of Wizarding World entrance until the 1 hour mark?
    Also, I know it will depend on crowds, we will be there May 31st & June 1st, but how long will it take to get from Portofino to IOA. This is our first trip to Universal and I'm not familiar with how far things are or how long a usual wait for a boat is? Can you also walk there or do you have to take a boat or bus?

Thank you for any info.
    Jeanie
    Next Trips:
    March 2014 - Wilderness Lodge
    Past Trips:
    June 2012- POP Century
    May 2008- Wilderness Lodge
    October 2007- Pop Century
    May 2006- Wilderness Lodge
    August 1996- Off Site
    Several Trips to Disney Land & World as a kid

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The rest of the park is not open earlier only Wwhp. There will be employees directing you in that direction. At least that's how it was the weekend we went. (it was also a HP event weekend)
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Our experience was that they let you through the gate about 15-20 minutes earlier than opening, then lined everyone up on main street and walked/guided the crowd through Suessland side around to WWOHP.

One of the best tips I was given before our trip was to have a lanyard to hold your room keys (you have to show it multiple times through express pass lines) and I had a small wristlet purse (that attached to a lanyard) that held a phone, credit card, cash, and a couple of bandaids that fit into a pocket so no need for lockers.

Have a great trip!

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    One of the best tips I was given before our trip was to have a lanyard to hold your room keys (you have to show it multiple times through express pass lines) and I had a small wristlet purse (that attached to a lanyard) that held a phone, credit card, cash, and a couple of bandaids that fit into a pocket so no need for lockers.
    Avoiding the locker system is the best tip you can be given! I think it also shows us that we really don't need all of that other stuff we have been carrying into the parks for the last 10 years. lol.

Your walk to IOA I would estimate at about 15 to 20 mins depending on your pace. You can also take one of the passenger bikes to the end of the walk way of your hotel. That will cut down your time alittle. I have never taken the ferry because we like to walk off our breakfast. We have even walked while eating our breakfast on some days.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at Royal Pacific and walked over...we were in the park by about 7:45 and were walking into WWOHP by about 7:55.

The lanyard tip is a great one--I actually find that I prefer the one I got at Universal to our Disney ones And I'm going to TRY to go without a purse on our next trip--if I can clip a wristlet to the belt loop of my pants I think I'd be OK. The lockers can be definitely be a time-vacuum.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinksmom02 View Post
    We stayed at Royal Pacific and walked over...we were in the park by about 7:45 and were walking into WWOHP by about 7:55. )
    The Royal Pacific is the closest hotel to IOA. The Portofino is the farthest from IOA. We stayed at the Hard Rock one year (the Portofino is on the other side about 5 mins away) and it took us about 10 mins to get to IOA, walking at a good pace.

They are not in a straight line , of course, but here is the order: The Portifino, The Hard Rock Hotel, Universal Studio, City Walk, IOA, Royal Pacific
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    The Royal Pacific is the closest hotel to IOA. The Portofino is the farthest from IOA. We stayed at the Hard Rock one year (the Portofino is on the other side about 5 mins away) and it took us about 10 mins to get to IOA, walking at a good pace.

They are not in a straight line , of course, but here is the order: The Portifino, The Hard Rock Hotel, Universal Studio, City Walk, IOA, Royal Pacific
    Oh, yeah, I know that we were closer, what I was trying to get at (I guess it didn't come through, sorry) was that by the time we got to IOA (around 7:45am), they were allowing guests in. We weren't guided by anyone, either, we just kind of followed everyone else.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinksmom02 View Post
    Oh, yeah, I know that we were closer, what I was trying to get at (I guess it didn't come through, sorry) was that by the time we got to IOA (around 7:45am), they were allowing guests in. We weren't guided by anyone, either, we just kind of followed everyone else.
    Since I wasn't there exactly at opening, I can't say for sure, but from what I have read by others is that a staff member leads the way at the very front of the line. I guess the rest of the people just follow, like we did. I did see other staff members along the route. I guess they make sure you don't wonder off to other closed areas.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of those small purses that goes around your neck through your arm...and hangs to the side on your hip. It's small. Do they 'make' you go to the lockers?
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine1010 View Post
    I have one of those small purses that goes around your neck through your arm...and hangs to the side on your hip. It's small. Do they 'make' you go to the lockers?
    On big rides - such as FJ, Dueling Dragons, Hulk (?), Spiderman, Rip Ride Rock it, Mummy (and others, I can't remember because I did not carry a bag to need a locker), you have to use a locker for any bag that does not fit in a pocket - no loose items at all (actually on some of the rides, I worried about losing sunglasses, flip flops, and even loose change in a pocket). I had a wristlet on a lanyard, but I to put it inside my pocket or I put it on the lanyard and tucked it inside my shirt or the employees would stop you and make you put it in a locker. Even with fanny packs, they will make you put it in a locker. You have to be careful because one employee may okay you to get into the line, but another can stop you later in the line (there are multiple check points in every line) and make you leave the line to get a locker ... and no holding your place to return.
    They provide you "free" lockers, but they are only for length of ride, even if it says an hour, if the ride time is less than an hour and you try to ride again, the locker goes to pay ... be careful. However, I hated the idea of having to get out of line, slow down the family, and remember locker numbers and codes, so I only carried in the wristlet size purse to hold phone, cash, credit cards and a couple of bandaids. However, we did usually have one person in our group who did not ride the big rides and she acted as "bag lady" for the group.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. I think my purse will fit in my husbands pocket (if squished). Thanks!!!
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    On big rides - such as FJ, Dueling Dragons, Hulk (?), Spiderman, Rip Ride Rock it, Mummy (and others, I can't remember because I did not carry a bag to need a locker), you have to use a locker for any bag that does not fit in a pocket - no loose items at all (actually on some of the rides, I worried about losing sunglasses, flip flops, and even loose change in a pocket). I had a wristlet on a lanyard, but I to put it inside my pocket or I put it on the lanyard and tucked it inside my shirt or the employees would stop you and make you put it in a locker. Even with fanny packs, they will make you put it in a locker. You have to be careful because one employee may okay you to get into the line, but another can stop you later in the line (there are multiple check points in every line) and make you leave the line to get a locker ... and no holding your place to return.
    They provide you "free" lockers, but they are only for length of ride, even if it says an hour, if the ride time is less than an hour and you try to ride again, the locker goes to pay ... be careful. However, I hated the idea of having to get out of line, slow down the family, and remember locker numbers and codes, so I only carried in the wristlet size purse to hold phone, cash, credit cards and a couple of bandaids. However, we did usually have one person in our group who did not ride the big rides and she acted as "bag lady" for the group.

This is very accurate advice! You don't want to get into line only to find you must get out and start all over again. Don't bring anything into the park that won't fit into your pockets if you don't have a person in your party to hold it while others ride. I know I keep saying it, but can't stress it enough.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I made my sons wear those short with giant pockets. Water bottles even fit in those.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: