Quantcast Avatarland Project - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Neytri, Jake Sully, Grace. Scouts honor I didn't look em up.
    WE HAVE A WINNER.

First person ever.

You're missing out big time on HP though. I can't imagine better themeing anywhere.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Seeing as how the Avengers is setting up to be the biggest box office success of all time, me thinks this Avatarland is a baaaaad idea.
    Although I understand what you are saying, and getting at, with this statement, Disney cannot put Avengers in ANY of the 'East of the Mississippi' parks, nor would it be a fit in Disney's Animal Kingdom.

The use of a film such as Avatar, which promotes conservation, caring for, and sharing the land - if you look past the "us vs. them" conflict, in Disney's Animal Kingdom, is a good, if not perfect, fit. To set up an area of the park to mimic the Pandora of the movie - the flora, fauna, and peoples, would work with the Mythical Beast part of the original DAK plan.

It may not be "Disney" per se, but how much of DAK really is?
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Seeing as how the Avengers is setting up to be the biggest box office success of all time, me thinks this Avatarland is a baaaaad idea.
    Well, you can always get your Marvel fix at Universal...

And there is no way Avengers will do another 1.6 billion in business... More blockbusters are coming out now.. MIB 3 will get this weekend's top draw... Avengers has now leveled off... I just don't see another 1.6 billion in business coming its way... Will settle in nicely at number 3, behind Titanic and Avatar... But in no way does it beat Avatar's success...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Well, you can always get your Marvel fix at Universal...

And there is no way Avengers will do another 1.6 billion in business... More blockbusters are coming out now.. MIB 3 will get this weekend's top draw... Avengers has now leveled off... I just don't see another 1.6 billion in business coming its way... Will settle in nicely at number 3, behind Titanic and Avatar... But in no way does it beat Avatar's success...
    Um, I would be willing to bet if you add up the actual Avengers movie, plus the 4 prequels to it (Captain America, Thor, and both Iron Man movies, all which had cross-overs with the Avengers; Nick Fury et al) I would say it blows Avatar WAAAAY out of the water. There's more to "bank on" with the Avengers series than one single Avatar movie that only got the audience it did because it was the first major 3D production. Well, pretty much everything is 3D now so what are they gonna do to thrill audiences with the second and third Avatar movie? Cuz it sure ain't the story!
    I can completely see the Avengers still beating Titanic and Avatar's box office earnings if you give it a little more time. It's only been in theatres for 3 weeks. They are already working on a second Avengers movie as well. I would also be willing to bet that you'll find oodles more fans that can name the Marvel characters than there are fans of Avatar.

With that being said, SOMEONE at Disney needs to renegotiate with Universal to get Marvel outta there and into the Disney parks!!!

I would rather go to boring old Camp Minnie Mickey than to some neon forest with weird blue creatures... what are they even called again? And oh yeah, a flight simulator ride... yeah that's innovative. At least Camp Minnie Mickey has memorable characters.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Worst thing is that I'm a die hard HP fan and still don't see any appeal to the HP universal park..I read all the books as they came out, same with movies, every one midnight premiers in full costume, I've still never had a ounce of desire to go...I don't know it just doesn't look that awesome at all..

After spending over 3hours going around the WBros studios (London) seeing the HP sets and props (Great Hall, Knight Bus, Hippograffe, Diagon Alley to name a few) I too feel that HP universal might be a let down. Still plan to go with an open mind though.

I also like the idea of Avatar being used in the AK. The theme in Avatar of respecting the land is a Disney theme - just see the Epcot's Circle of Life film and Living with the Land. In the words of Agent Smith (The Matrix part 1) "Humans are parasites they just take from the land and give nothing back"
    Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Um, I would be willing to bet if you add up the actual Avengers movie, plus the 4 prequels to it (Captain America, Thor, and both Iron Man movies, all which had cross-overs with the Avengers; Nick Fury et al) I would say it blows Avatar WAAAAY out of the water. There's more to "bank on" with the Avengers series than one single Avatar movie that only got the audience it did because it was the first major 3D production. Well, pretty much everything is 3D now so what are they gonna do to thrill audiences with the second and third Avatar movie? Cuz it sure ain't the story!
    I can completely see the Avengers still beating Titanic and Avatar's box office earnings if you give it a little more time. It's only been in theatres for 3 weeks. They are already working on a second Avengers movie as well. I would also be willing to bet that you'll find oodles more fans that can name the Marvel characters than there are fans of Avatar.

With that being said, SOMEONE at Disney needs to renegotiate with Universal to get Marvel outta there and into the Disney parks!!!

I would rather go to boring old Camp Minnie Mickey than to some neon forest with weird blue creatures... what are they even called again? And oh yeah, a flight simulator ride... yeah that's innovative. At least Camp Minnie Mickey has memorable characters.

1. Avengers is 1 movie right now.. get out of the franchise thinking... AVENGERS has done $1.1 billion in business, needs to do $1.6 billion more to reach Avatar's $2.7 billion... not going to happen...

2. Avatar has 2 more sequels coming out, and Cameron already said he is already thinking of more stories for a 4th...

3. The 3D excuse is tired... Been tried and is a failed reason why Avatar did so well... As I recall, Dark Knight, and the last Potter and many movies after that have come out in 3D and haven't come close to $2 billion in business... So, that argument is already a failure... Next...

4. Marvel characters have been around for how many years??? Again, another failed argument here... So, more people can name more characters from Star Wars (30-something year old franchise) and Marvel (50 plus year old characters) and Potter (over 10 year old franchise) than Avatar, a 3 or 4 year old movie... Congrats!!!!! Still proves absolutely nothing... Tell me a movie who has done $2.7 billion in business out of those franchises?? You can't...

5. Avengers has now been in the theater for 3 weeks is it??? MIB will more than likely top it this weekend, as should be expected... The competition for the summer movies will now start heating up and Avengers number will, as expected, decline more and more each week... MAYBE it will hit $2 billion if Japan carries it... other wise, it is going to rank 3rd... Not shabby, major success, but still, not topping Avatar...

6. Forget Marvel in WDW... not happening any time soon or any time in the near future... Universal holds all the cards... Anyone wants to meet an "Avenger" has to go to Universal... And they know that... They will not give up the rights any time soon, if at all...

7. Disney may want to renegotiate... But Universal only has to say, not interested and Disney must go back to their office, tail between their legs... Again, Universal holds all the cards in this... Disney is out of luck...

8. Please, tell me the flight simulator concept that has been created for Avatar.... Hmm, can't right??? BTW, Cameron said it would simulate flight, not necessarily be a flight simulator like you are thinking... More advanced that 80's tech Star Tours... And no, not soarin either...

9. All the people who are whining, I fully expect none of you online if this thing opens... Faster line for the rest of us who will go and enjoy the ride and land that will be created... But, we all know what will happen... Disney and Cameron create one heck of a themed land with a major e-ticket and the whiners will flock there in a hurry.. then use their online whining personality to complain, while holding that Na'vi plush cause it has a Disney tag on it...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zawadi View Post
    After spending over 3hours going around the WBros studios (London) seeing the HP sets and props (Great Hall, Knight Bus, Hippograffe, Diagon Alley to name a few) I too feel that HP universal might be a let down. Still plan to go with an open mind though.

I also like the idea of Avatar being used in the AK. The theme in Avatar of respecting the land is a Disney theme - just see the Epcot's Circle of Life film and Living with the Land. In the words of Agent Smith (The Matrix part 1) "Humans are parasites they just take from the land and give nothing back"
    I promise you, Wizarding World is not a let down...

Post Thanks / Like

I get why people might not like the idea of Avatarland, but I don't get the level of negativity. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Twilight Zone and Aerosmith are not Disney properties, but they're in the parks. Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies were also quite violent, but I never see any comments that they shouldn't be at Disney.

James Cameron has directed a couple of the biggest blockbusters of all time; he must have some idea of what appeals to audiences. And I think the land has a lot of possibilities, both tying into the mythology of Animal Kingdom and in terms of attractions. I don't think there's a reason to worry yet. (If there's suddenly word that Cameron has decided to take a back seat in the plans, that's when we should worry.)
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to put in my ... I think this is definitely Disney's way of appealing to the younger generation for sure. For some reason or another, Avatar is very appealing to tweens & teens alike. I know there have been previous threads about why this new generation doesn't see Disney for all its magic (i.e.: uses their imagination) the way that we all do, and I think Disney is trying different things to keep this generation interested, engaged and entertained. There is nothing worse than a teenager being dead-set on making everyone miserable because they are somewhere that they don't want to be - it's enough for any parent to say, "Alright! We'll just stay home!". If the kids are happy, then the parents will go and spend money. My DD is 16 and can't wait to check out Avatar in AK.

For better or worse, Avatar is another way of keeping the kids (parents) in the parks longer...
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I get why people might not like the idea of Avatarland, but I don't get the level of negativity. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Twilight Zone and Aerosmith are not Disney properties, but they're in the parks. Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies were also quite violent, but I never see any comments that they shouldn't be at Disney.

James Cameron has directed a couple of the biggest blockbusters of all time; he must have some idea of what appeals to audiences. And I think the land has a lot of possibilities, both tying into the mythology of Animal Kingdom and in terms of attractions. I don't think there's a reason to worry yet. (If there's suddenly word that Cameron has decided to take a back seat in the plans, that's when we should worry.)
    it isn't Cameron who I would worry about taking a back seat.. I'd worry more about the internal politics in the Disney Company derailing this before Cameron...

Cameron has his heart set on several Avatar movies.. We already know there will be a 2 and 3... he said he is already working on a 4th even though 2 and 3 haven't begun filming yet... Obviously this man has a world created in his head...

And since he is such a perfectionist (for better or for worse), I wouldn't expect anything short of spectacular for Avatar in DAK...

Post Thanks / Like

I still say White Castle vs Taj Mahal. It don't mean a thing if it aint got that zing! (or characters, or story....)
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

9. All the people who are whining, I fully expect none of you online if this thing opens... Faster line for the rest of us who will go and enjoy the ride and land that will be created... But, we all know what will happen... Disney and Cameron create one heck of a themed land with a major e-ticket and the whiners will flock there in a hurry.. then use their online whining personality to complain, while holding that Na'vi plush cause it has a Disney tag on it...
    Boy, you've clearly spent a lot of time thinking about this stuff... even to number your list of reasons the rest of the world is wrong and you are so clearly right.
    But please don't call us "whiners". Mmmkaythanks.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Just for the record...The Avengers have been around since 1963 and have sold hundreds of millions of comics. They will never be in a Disney park for a variety of reasons, but if you want to talk about staying power beyond the movie I think those guys might have a shot.
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say they will never be in a Disney Park ever. I think you'll see them in the Foreign parks and California... and then eventually when NBC runs out of money in Orlando

And hey I'm with the Freak. If you don't want to go to Avatarland please don't clog up the queue for me. I've never seen the movies but I'm always looking for something for to do in AK.

Post Thanks / Like

Apples to Oranges = Harry Potter to Avatar

Apples to Oranges = Avengers to Avatar

Yes they are both fruit; both movies but they are NOT the same!

Avengers - if you take all the movies ever made up from the characters that comprise the Avengers - Thor, Iron Man (and they ARE filming the 3rd currently in NC), etc......they have out sold Avatar - but Avatar is an Alien Environmental Film with Neytiri the blue girl, Jake Sully the human turned blue girl, Grace played by Sigorney Weaver known for doing alien movies, and the CGIs.
    Avengers are super heros - different genre, different group of watchers, readers, etc.

It is all Apples to Oranges Avatarland to Harry Potter Wizarding World...completely different concepts and completely different groups of "tourists" purposely planning trips to see. AND Disney will do a better job at accommodating "Pooh" sized people making it more rider friendly for more people than those powers that be at WB have done with HP.

So, APPLES TO ORANGES!! FRUIT TO FRUIT but different tastes. Just my humble opinion.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HackLaSalle View Post
    I wouldn't say they will never be in a Disney Park ever. I think you'll see them in the Foreign parks and California... and then eventually when NBC runs out of money in Orlando

And hey I'm with the Freak. If you don't want to go to Avatarland please don't clog up the queue for me. I've never seen the movies but I'm always looking for something for to do in AK.
    Considering Comcast owns Univ ersal, NBC won't run out of money in Orlando... especially with Potter raking in the big bucks, with more Potter on the way... And Comcast just announced that they are investing $150 million a year for the next 5 years to Orlando... Marvel is not going anywhere...

But here is the thing Hack, they will whine and complain and claim they prefer a run down CMM or a pile of dirt, but we all know where they will be when (or if) Avatar opens... Right in line with everyone else...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpamac View Post
    Just for the record...The Avengers have been around since 1963 and have sold hundreds of millions of comics. They will never be in a Disney park for a variety of reasons, but if you want to talk about staying power beyond the movie I think those guys might have a shot.
    You prove my point... Avengers have been around for 50 years in one form or another... Star Wars for 35 years in one form or another.. Avatar came out in 2009 so barely 3 years old... Trying to say NO ONE KNOWS THE AVATAR CHARACTERS BUT PEOPLE KNOW AVENGERS, STAR WARS.. Well again, congrats, people know two franchises embedded into pop culture... Let's see where Avatar is in 30 years....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MstngDrvnDsnyLvr View Post
    Apples to Oranges = Harry Potter to Avatar

Apples to Oranges = Avengers to Avatar

Yes they are both fruit; both movies but they are NOT the same!

Avengers - if you take all the movies ever made up from the characters that comprise the Avengers - Thor, Iron Man (and they ARE filming the 3rd currently in NC), etc......they have out sold Avatar - but Avatar is an Alien Environmental Film with Neytiri the blue girl, Jake Sully the human turned blue girl, Grace played by Sigorney Weaver known for doing alien movies, and the CGIs.
    Avengers are super heros - different genre, different group of watchers, readers, etc.

It is all Apples to Oranges Avatarland to Harry Potter Wizarding World...completely different concepts and completely different groups of "tourists" purposely planning trips to see. AND Disney will do a better job at accommodating "Pooh" sized people making it more rider friendly for more people than those powers that be at WB have done with HP.

So, APPLES TO ORANGES!! FRUIT TO FRUIT but different tastes. Just my humble opinion.
    And if you take one Avatar movie and compare it to any one Marvel movie, Avatar has out performed them all... You cannot compare one movie to 5 or 6 and say HEY IT DIDN'T DO THEIR AVENGER BUSINESS, AVENGERS DID MORE... No, it didn't... Avatar did $2.7 billion, Avengers (without this weekend) $1.1 billion... Avatar still leads...

BTW, take this into consideration.. Avatar played on less screen than Avengers did, and still tops it by $1.6 billion... Now THAT is some crazy business...

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm... Not so sure about this one...
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

And if you take one Avatar movie and compare it to any one Marvel movie, Avatar has out performed them all... You cannot compare one movie to 5 or 6 and say HEY IT DIDN'T DO THEIR AVENGER BUSINESS, AVENGERS DID MORE... No, it didn't... Avatar did $2.7 billion, Avengers (without this weekend) $1.1 billion... Avatar still leads...

BTW, take this into consideration.. Avatar played on less screen than Avengers did, and still tops it by $1.6 billion... Now THAT is some crazy business...
    I think we've gotten a bit off point here. Who cares how much a movie has made? Is it a good fit for AK? In my opinion, no.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast