Quantcast SSR or OKW????

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: SSR or OKW????

Post Thanks / Like

Default SSR or OKW????

Planning a stay in Nov. 2013 and was wondering what is better resort Saratoga Springs or Old Key West? Which is newer, which has a better pool, dining, rooms, ect..anything you can think of. We are a family of 4 kids/2 adults and we may bring my 13 yr old niece. Thanks!
    January 1993-Off Property
    September 1996-Dixie Landings (POR)
    September 2006-Pop Century
    September 2007-Pop Century
    September 2008-Contemporary
    May 2009-Caribbean Beach
    Oct/Nov-2011-Wilderness Lodge
    December- 2013--Pop Century
    May 2015--Give Kids The World

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Never stayed at OKW but we like staying at SSR. OKW rooms have been recently remodeled but the rooms at SSR are nice too. Our kids 4 and 7 love the new Paddock pool. I'm not sure how old your kids are but there is a kids splash area with slides at the Paddock pool where my kids just love and could spend hours. The bigger part of the pool has a neat water slide too. The splash area I think are for kids 48 inches or smaller. We also love the quietness of SSR. It's so spread out at times it feels like you are the only one there. The grounds are kept up very nice. High Rock Springs pool is near the lobby and is even bigger! Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Given this choice, we would always go to OKW. The rooms are larger, the main entertainment area is nicer, and we just like the 'feel' better. Both are quiet and peaceful.

That being said, eating at SSR, there are more choices. Both resorts have nice themed pools and nice quiet pools. In the last several months, SSR opened a second themed pool which is pretty nice. If you're planning to spend a lot of time at the pools, then this might be a factor.

Overall, you have 2 nice choices, so you can't go wrong. Have a great time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AirlineGuy07 View Post
    Never stayed at OKW but we like staying at SSR. OKW rooms have been recently remodeled but the rooms at SSR are nice too. Our kids 4 and 7 love the new Paddock pool. I'm not sure how old your kids are but there is a kids splash area with slides at the Paddock pool where my kids just love and could spend hours. The bigger part of the pool has a neat water slide too. The splash area I think are for kids 48 inches or smaller. We also love the quietness of SSR. It's so spread out at times it feels like you are the only one there. The grounds are kept up very nice. High Rock Springs pool is near the lobby and is even bigger! Have fun!
    Thanks!! My kids will be 5, 7, 10 and 10 when we go.
    January 1993-Off Property
    September 1996-Dixie Landings (POR)
    September 2006-Pop Century
    September 2007-Pop Century
    September 2008-Contemporary
    May 2009-Caribbean Beach
    Oct/Nov-2011-Wilderness Lodge
    December- 2013--Pop Century
    May 2015--Give Kids The World

Post Thanks / Like

The size of the rooms at OKW are the best selling point there. Quick service meals and varity of pools make SSR nice. If you plan to spend time around the resort I would suggest SSR. If you are going to be at the parks and the resort is just a place to crash I suggest OKW.
    My family likes both, but we have been staying at SSR lately due to the pools.
    DVC Member since 03 , Have been "Home" just too many times before to list. June 6 next visit.

Post Thanks / Like

Been to both and we swore we would never do OKW again. It was dirty, overgrown, and really lacked in the area of walking paths on grounds, mind you this was pre-rehab but I still can't imagine it "feeling" better.. SSR has beautiful paths that wind around ponds (with otters and once a ) and several more eating options (Turf Club is a secret gem). I love being able to walk to DTD and the general openness of SSR, I guess that is what really put me off about OKW, I just felt claustrophobic in the outdoor spaces there. That being said, SSR is definitely a big resort and if you don't like walking it may not be for you. We always request Paddock near the Carousel bus stop (second on and off in the loop) because it is quiet and never had a problem getting a seat.
    May'98-WL
    Sept'01-POFQ
    Oct'03-ASM
    Aug'04-CBR & Charley
    Dec'05- WL-Joined DVC
    June'06- DL's Grand Californian
    Nov '06 SSR
    Oct '07 SSR with extended family
    Oct '08 Disney Wonder/OKW
    Nov '09 AKV @ Kidani
    Nov '10 Kidani
    Nov '11 VWL