Quantcast Enforcement of Height Restrictions - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    Personally, IMO, I don't see how a wrist band could work anyway. Some rides have different height restrictions than others. So they would have to use a worst case scenario and use the tallest height restriction for the worst ride, I believe one ride is what 47"? Could be wrong but don't quote me.
    So you measure a child at the entrance for a wrist band who can go on the 38" rides at the front entrance, but what happens when he gets to the rides that are 41"? So you would then have to restrict ALL children to the worst case scenario and then the children that are 40" and can ride the other rides that are 40" and under can't because they can't get on the ride that has a height restriction of 41". Hope I am making sense lol. So, really, how is there really any avoiding having to be measured at all the rides with height restrictions?
    I think you may have missed a critical point ... the wrist band is color coded to show what attractions you're allowed on.

So it would go in ranges ... say green means you're over 40" tall but not over 42" tall. Yellow means you're between 42" & 44", etc. etc. all the way up to 56" or whatever it is to ride the Speedway by yourself.
    Ian şOş
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ş0ş

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I think you may have missed a critical point ... the wrist band is color coded to show what attractions you're allowed on.

So it would go in ranges ... say green means you're over 40" tall but not over 42" tall. Yellow means you're between 42" & 44", etc. etc. all the way up to 56" or whatever it is to ride the Speedway by yourself.
    Ahhhhh okay makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification!
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    I'm SO glad "catching" tippy-toes was cause for double big grins.

I would never beat height restrictions or encourage anyone to do so. Making that drama just makes a bad day for the CHILD involved.

But I don't need CMs 'High Five-ing" every time they turn another child away from BTMRR.
    I guess I don't understand your comments. We *never* "high-fived" if we "turned a child away" from *any* attraction. MOST guests understand that it's for a SAFETY reason; not "just because CMs want to make guests miserable <?>". Sure, we get that guest every once in a great while that claims "it's (our) your fault that my kid is too short!" and it ends up kind of ugly. If/when that situation arose, we'd get a coordinator to double- and triple-check; and if they still weren't happy, the coordinator would go and get a manager.

I read the post about Jumpin' Jellies; I can't believe that a *manager* (type) would've "bypassed" a *height requirement* and let an obviously-too-short guest onto an attraction. If something would've happened....then yes, that WOULD be the fault of the manager/coordinator and the story'd be all over the place. I guess they were lucky that nothing did happen.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    I read the post about Jumpin' Jellies; I can't believe that a *manager* (type) would've "bypassed" a *height requirement* and let an obviously-too-short guest onto an attraction. If something would've happened....then yes, that WOULD be the fault of the manager/coordinator and the story'd be all over the place. I guess they were lucky that nothing did happen.
    I know! I was FLOORED. I could not believe what I was seeing. I guess the argument was that the girl had been allowed to ride "before." I bet they put her in super thick soled shoes "before" and then forgot this time around.

The crazy thing about it was that the KID wasn't upset about it in the least. It was the father making all the fuss. She was happy as a clam.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    On that note, too, though. I've certainly seen parents, carrying a child, try to board a ride (I'm thinking of Indiana Jones in Disneyland, specifically). You need to have that second measurement because of a situation like this.
    The height requirement is 46", and when my youngest was 4, he was EXACTLY 46" in running shoes. He was measured no fewer than 4 times for this ride... measured at the entrance ... pulled out of line to be measured ... stopped at a corner to be measured ... measured before getting on .... Thankfully he was still 46" by the time we boarded ... But they were very diligent.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

The ones that *killed* me, would be the guests (parents) literally *dragging* their KICKING, SCREAMING kids through a two-hour wait in the Standby line - who, obviously, do NOT want to ride Splash or Space Mountain, so by the time they got to the Load area, the kid<s> need to get measured again, all the while NOT wanting to ride, screaming, crying, pulling away from Mom or Dad while we were trying to measure them. :-\ Even if they *were* tall enough, I would always ask the CHILD if he/she really wanted to ride. If I got a "No! No! NO!" answer, I would politely explain to the guest that there was a waiting area, and that they could ride again with the rest of their group when the first group got off (basically, Rider Swap), without having to go back through the line again.
    *Then*, the mom/dad/adult would get MAD at the kid, because "now I can't ride because you're a brat and....etc., etc., etc.!!!" I would then explain *again*, that, no, that's not the case, that, "You'll be able to ride as soon as the rest of your party exits; the child will need someone who already rode to wait with them." So, sometimes, brother/sister/cousin/etc. would get to ride twice
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Post Thanks / Like

They won't even make exceptions for a set of twins when one is just above and the other just below, we had that happen one year. They have to be "black and white" or someone will yell favoritism if even one cast member is a bit lenient.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

They are strictly enforced, but if I was really close, my parents would tuck Dr.Scholle's inserts into my shoes to tip me past the mark.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

The wrist band system is not a theorhetical, it's an actual proven system that has worked out really well for Disney's competition, and really does make everyone's life easier. In case you hadn't noticed, Busch Gardens (aka SeaWorld) is no shady carnival.

Also, do me a favor. I understand safety regulation, and the need to enforce but PLEASE PLEASE stop saying that the thickness of a lanyard card is the diffrance between safe and unsafe to validate your point. I can promise you that no underwritter on earth would insure a ride with that thin of a safety margin. If 44 is safety, then I can promise you that 43.8 is also safe, in fact 43 is even safe. You know it, I know it. NOW, what you and I also know is that that buffer zone exists for a reason. The line has to be drawn AND enforced a point well above the point where safety is assured. I understand and accept that. All I'm saying is say that, don't sit here and tell me that safety restraints become ineffective within a fraction of an inch of the hieght requirement. It's enough that they exist and need to be enforced.

Also, enough with the idea that some parents forcing they're kicking screaming, terrified kids on rides they don't want to go is an arguement for hieght limit enforcement. That's another subject entirely. Yes those parents are horrible people. I'm not one of them. My son is an insane coaster nut who's only wanted to know one thing since he was three: what is he tall enough for this time. I've got a picture of him with the biggest joker smile you've seen riding his very first looping roller coaster on his 6th birthday at BARELY the 48" requirement. The point is, if my son can go, he's going and the crazier the better. In fact my son's very first rollar coaster was BTMRR at age 3 and BARELY 40". I remember the look on his face as he exploded with excitement at Crystal Palace as I describe what we going to be riding we probably rode that thing a dozen times that trip. My kid is not every kid... or even most kids, but kids like mine exist and they make height restrictions frustrating, not unreasonable, and I'm certainly NOT suggesting that they should br bent or cheated, I'm just saying again, don't argue to me that my son doesn't really want to ride something that he's borderline tall enough for, because I promise you he does.

My point here is let's keep this arguement reasonable and to the point. Height requirement DO ultimately exist for safety and will be rigerously enforced. The system is not perfact, but it is there for a reason and needs to be aloud to do it's job. To Disney credit, being a family-focused expirience they're hieght requirements tend to run on average lower than similer attractions at other parks (don't get me started on Cedar Faire's height requirments)but if your daughter can't repeatedly touch the 40" bar while standing flat in reasonable footwear, then she won't get to ride. That is the answer the question that was asked.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Main Street Jim;2276219]The ones that *killed* me, would be the guests (parents) literally *dragging* their KICKING, SCREAMING kids through a two-hour wait in the Standby line - who, obviously, do NOT want to ride Splash or Space Mountain, so by the time they got to the Load area, the kid<s> need to get measured again, all the while NOT wanting to ride, screaming, crying, pulling away from Mom or Dad while we were trying to measure them.

AS usual, I couldnt agree more with Jim. Why do parents do this to their kids? Its supposed to be a fun vacation for heavens sake, not some sort of endurance test!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with pp. My kiddos were always really tall = rode Goofy's Barmstormer before 2 and by 3 were tall enough for 40" rides. My first was just 40" though and was allowed on everything but Splash - evidently the stick was a little taller than the others. Later in the week, he was tall enough.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    On that note, too, though. I've certainly seen parents, carrying a child, try to board a ride (I'm thinking of Indiana Jones in Disneyland, specifically). The cast member asks to measure the kid and this child was a good six inches too short for the ride. There was no way that this kid could have been measured and passed by the cast member out front. The parents had smuggled him in somehow and were determined to get him on the ride. You need to have that second measurement because of a situation like this.
    We witnessed this at BTMRR in January. Cast member asked the mom to put the little girl down to measure her and she was 3-4 inches too short. Mom kept saying, "But she rode it yesterday." Yeah right! I felt really bad for the cast member though because this mom was not letting up. When we got off the ride, mom was pouting by the exit with the little girl.

ODS is 5th% height, so he will not be close 40 inches by our November trip (and he will be just shy of 4). Unforunately, YDS is tall for his age, so we have decided no one rides until they both can ride.

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

If 44 is safety, then I can promise you that 43.8 is also safe, in fact 43 is even safe. You know it, I know it. NOW, what you and I also know is that that buffer zone exists for a reason.
    I have to respectfully disagree with this comment. ONE INCH too short is definitely a safety issue. The lap bars and shoulder harnesses are designed for a certain height (obviously, different heights for different attractions). If I was at a "height-required" attraction (and I worked a few of 'em), and a guest approached that was one full inch too short, guess what - they would NOT be riding my attraction. They'd at least get the Rider Switch pass. There is no "buffer zone". Either the guest is tall enough to ride - *touching* the height "bar" with the top of their head, no tippy-toes, no "height enhancers" - in regular shoes. If their head moved in any direction, NOT touching the height bar, they're not getting on my attraction.
    We've actually turned away fully-grown adults that weren't tall enough to ride - either height-challenged, or not tall enough due to missing limbs or whatnot. In those cases, we've offered other things to the guest.

Post Thanks / Like

We measured our son and he is right at 44inches according to my tape measure and yard stick measurements. However, I have no idea how accurate I am and how it will play out when we go to WDW. I am not even getting his hopes up until we get there and measure. He really wants to ride space mountain.

I have been in line behind people "who hold up the line to argue with the CM who makes someone take off a hat or notices that a kid has spiked his hair.

The rules are there for safety reasons, not to ruin someone's fun!
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, they're strict but we turned that lemon into lemonade! We used 'you need to eat your food so you can be tall enough for RnRC' for a whole year!
    Diane
    ~•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•~
    When your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: