Quantcast Full Service (Table Service) Restaurants at DLR question?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Full Service (Table Service) Restaurants at DLR question?

I know I can find information on DL's website about restaurants and I have been on that website and other websites that provide more DL information - but someone told me that somewhere on DL property there is a character meal with Buzz Lightyear. While I thought this would be awesome if they had it, I don't remember seeing it anywhere. Can anyone tell me for sure if there is or isn't one? I really think both DL and WDW need to have some character meals that are more catered to boys - since they have all the princess stuff. I think a Toy Story themed character meal would be a lot of fun.

Also, which restaurant has is the one next to Pirates of the Carribean? Someone told me it's really good. Any opinions on it?

Thanks!
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    2016 - Universal (Royal Pacific)
    Next up - Beach Club!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never seen Buzz Lightyear at any character meals at Disneyland. That would be really cool. There is only one princess themed character meal (Ariels Grotto). Goofy's Kitchen and Minnie and friends at the Plaza Inn have a variety of characters. Storytellers Cafe has animal characters. That one is our favorite, love their buffet and DD loves the animal characters.

The restaurant next to/inside POC is the Blue Bayou (not a character meal). Haven't eaten there in a few years. Food was ok. Atmosphere is great but dark. I think it is kind of overpriced, paying to eat inside the POC. As a local, it is not one of our run to TS meals. Much perfer the Storytellers Cafe for lunch and dinner as well as the breakfast. My DD loved thier make your own pizza. There are no characters at lunch/dinner at Storytellers Cafe.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Buzz Lightyear does not appear at any Character Meals. The costume is not really conducive to navigating around a restaurant (it weighs over 80 lbs!!!).

The restaurant attached to PotC is Blue Bayou. Do yourself a favor and skip it. It's been awful for years. If you'd like to try some Creole/Cajun food, try Cafe Orleans in DL park or Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen at Downtown Disney.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info - I was pretty sure it was Blue Bayou and I hadn't heard good things about that restaurant. Yeah, I thought it was too good to be true about Buzz Lightyear at a character meal. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to miss anything like that.
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    2016 - Universal (Royal Pacific)
    Next up - Beach Club!

Post Thanks / Like

Unless it's changed recently Woody and Jessie appear at the barbeque place near Big Thunder Ranch. I don't think they do the rounds, just a show on the stage. I could be wrong through. I've never eaten there for it.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

We got back from DL on June 23rd and had a great experience at the Blue Bayou. At first we weren't going to do it because of it being a little pricey, but I am so happy we decided to splurge on it. We were lucky and got a table close to the water where we could see the boats. It was so peaceful. I could see getting a table in the back of the restaurant would not be the same experience. The food was very good and the portions were great! I had filet mignon and it came with a salad, delicious mashed potatoes, and string beans. Our kids loved it too and they had generous portions with their meals too. If it's not out of your budget, I would definitely give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want your best chance of getting a seat next to the water make your reservation for right at the start of the serving (lunch or dinner). I booked our lunch for the begining of their service and checked in fifteen minutes early. I asked if we could get a seat next to the water and they said that since we were in the first seating, and had checked in on time, it wouldn't be a problem.

That restaurant is DARK. It's hard to read the menu. You might want to bring a small flashlight with you just so you can see what you're ordering. I agree that it's pricey, but it has a neat atmosphere.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reporting back green ranger. It is good to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Blue Bayou. We used to go more often, when there was no Downtown Disney and therefore not so many table service options. We always enjoyed the food and the service and the atmosphere. As the years went by, the menu changed, the prices went up, and we had a few not completely successful meals. Our visits diminished as our experiences became less memorable. So, again, I'm glad to know you had a good time there. I'll have to give it another try soon.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I love Blue Bayou

I've been eating at Blue Bayou for over 20 years I've never had a bad experince inside. Outside with rude guests not wanting to wait because they didn't make a reservation yes. Food has all ways been good. Has gotten a bit pricy for what you get, but we all ways get a table by the water and the service is fantastic!
    Buzz at a character meal would be beyond cool!

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's hard for Buzz to make it to dinner, but one of my long time beefs with DL is the lack of character meals. I would love it if they had more. Even 1 more
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Chase View Post
    Thanks for the info - I was pretty sure it was Blue Bayou and I hadn't heard good things about that restaurant. Yeah, I thought it was too good to be true about Buzz Lightyear at a character meal. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to miss anything like that.
    My family and I, when skipping Blue Bayou, go to Cafe Orleans in New Orleans Square as a cheaper alternative. It serves some of the same foods, not all, some. Mmm... Monte Cristo sandwiches!
    We all have sparks, imaginations.
    That's how our minds, create creations.
    For they make, our wildest dreams come true.
    Those magic sparks, in me and you. ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't write-off Blue Bayou; really depends what you're looking for.

Admittedly I've not eaten at Blue Bayou. I have, though, eaten at it's Disneyland Paris equivalent the Blue Lagoon, also in PoC... this summer. An Internet search tells me Blue Lagoon is a little less cozy but pretty similar. I like the idea of dining experiences unique to the Disney experience. We had a spot by the water (and a reservation). Our 'trick' was to indicate we wanted a spot there and having a willingness to wait (which didn't end up being much of an extra wait at all).

You're spending a bit more, but you're also experiencing something awfully unique. It's nice to escape the chaos of the park and try something new.

Next trip to Disneyland, I'm keen to try the Anaheim version (and if ever in Tokyo, theirs too..... shame WDW doesn't have the option).

Waving at those boats can be pretty fun, too. ...bit of a game to see who waves back!
    =) Travis

WDW, multiple visits. DLR, many years ago pre-DCA. Disneyland Paris, one amazing two-day visit. Up next: Disneyland Shanghai, Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, and Disneyland Hong Kong!

Post Thanks / Like

Default blue bayou

we've been lucky enough to visit DL quite often, once a year for northeasterners!. We always make a reservation for blue bayou. We know the meals are around $30 or more. We always have a good meal. I always have the short rib and my family also likes the steak. It is dark but part of the atmosphere. We also enjoy the Monte cristo
    sandwich, which my daughter and I share.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: