Quantcast Illuminations: How many views per visit?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: How Often Do You Watch Illuminations

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 -- Not Interested

7 7.45%
  • 1 -- Once is enough

53 56.38%
  • 2 -- It Takes More Than One Viewing to Appreciate

20 21.28%
  • 3 or more -- I Can't Get Enough of This!

14 14.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Illuminations: How many views per visit?

I was watching a program about Walt Disney World on the travel channel, when they spotlighted Illuminations: Reflections of Earth. I began to think about how much I enjoy this nighttime spectacular. But at the same time, I usually only see it once during a 10-night trip. my DW usually says, "Oh, we've seen this already. let's go." So I wondered: How many times do you watch this during your stay? On a usual trip, we are in Epcot at night at least three times, but yet we only see it once. Do you watch it more?
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

As a general rule once is the minimum but last time we ended up seeing it twice. We were there for 14 days and our second day was a full day in EPCOT, this was mostly focussed on Future World but we did then move on to World Showcase. It was late so we only did the Canada and United Kingdom pavilions before it started, the thought being we always start at the other end of World Showcase so rush these two normally. Later in the vacation we had a day that started at MK before catching the monorail to EPCOT around lunch time. That day we mostly focussed on World Showcase and had just got to the bridge between France and United Kingdom as Illuminations started.

As a general rule I like to get as close to everything done when there as possible because we have a few years between each visit. That doesn't mean things won't get done more than once though. Once is an absolute requirement but if I had the time and the money I'd do each of these things six or seven times and still want to do it again!
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

How 'bout two or three times a week?

My wife usually ended up at EPCOT in the evenings after working all day at MK anyways. We'd come into the park, have dinner somewheres, then stick around for the show.

My second-favorite all-time nighttime show!
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

This may be the first trip that we catch it more than once. We're setting aside two days for World Showcase, and the first of these days we're definitely staying for Illuminations and hoping to catch them during our La Hacienda dinner ADRs.

Our second WS day might not be as long, and I'm thinking I might do some nighttime exploring of Future World that day.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

For viewing Illuminations,once is fine for me, especially since my trips are getting shorter, but more frequent.

Wishes on the other hand, I like to see two or three times. With Illuminations, you pretty much have to be in in Epcot's World Showcase to really enjoy it. With Wishes, you can be anywhere in MK, and you can also see it from many MK area resorts and restaurants too. I guess I prefer the traditional fireworks in the sky as opposed to rotating TVs and big fireballs.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

I love Illuminations! It has become a tradition that we see it once early in our trip and then again on our last night. It is a wonderful way to end a visit (not that I ever want them to end!).

Post Thanks / Like

Illuminations at least once every visit, sometimes, if we are at Epcot again for a dinner.

But I prefer Wishes fireworks at MK, and we always see that show at least 3-4 times during every weeklong stay. Nothing beats those magical fireworks over the castle at MK. The essence of Disney Magic.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Of course it depends on the length of the trip but I'd watch this every night if I could! 2-3 times per trip seems to be our average.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

If I happen to be in Epcot, I'll stop and watch. But I never go out of my way to catch the show. Been there, done that, time for something new.

Post Thanks / Like

Still the best nighttime show on property... Maybe I'll see it twice or three times depending how long of a trip I am taking and it is the only show I will go out of my way for... I'll watch it the day I pick to visit Epcot and again the day I pick to visit DAK...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I never really go out of my way to see it. If I happen to be there when it's goin on, I will stop to watch a bit, but I haven't seen the whole show start to finish in years.

Now Wishes, that I have to see at least a few times per trip.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Well....I voted for once, but there is a clarification. DW and I are Passholders and we go at least 4 times per year for short trips, so for me once each trip is seeing it a lot! It is by far my favorite night time show.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I have to go with 0.

I never go out of my way to watch it unless you count watching the fireworks part from the bridge between the Beach Club and Boardwalk.

If I'm there and it happens to start I will watch, but on most days we are trying to get as far away from the lake as we can before it starts. My children really don't enjoy it. They find it too loud. I don't think I've seen it more than once in our last 4 visits.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

We haven't gone out of our way to watch it. It seems harder to find a decent place to view this show, and I am not one to stake out a place for an hour to watch a parade or fireworks.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago, I made sure I'd see this show every visit at least once. More recently, we'll watch if convenient but don't usually go out of our way to see it. It's still a pleasant show - I'm just not interested in planting myself in a spot and waiting for a signficant length of time. On a recent trip, we ended up with patio seating at Rose n Crown so certainly did stay to watch from that vantage point. On our last trip, we watched part of it on our fist night there as there happened to be some space along the fence as it started though the view was obscured. We even had a dinner reservation at La Hacienda one evening and left quite some time before the show started.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

usually twice..longest trips are usually a wk. first night show is Illuminations and at least one other time. i dont see Fantasmic every trip although i like it..its hard to exit after
    Wishes i like but i dont spend as much time at MK and if u try to leave w everyone else after..
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

The last two times I went were very short trips, and trips with lots of kids, so unfortunately, EPCOT has been omitted. It's a travesty for me because it's my favorite park, and I absolutely ADORE Illuminations. My musically inclined DBF even enjoys listening to the score with me on occasion when I'm feeling particularly Disney!
    So I went with two! It's great to open your trip up- until recently, EPCOT is always the first park we hit. And we normally grab it one more night on the trip! Wishes is our trip ender, and I spend the majority of the show bawling my eyes out! But that show is the epitome of Disney magic!
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Over the years we've seen it a lot, to the point that we no longer watch it unless we happen to be there.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Every time we go, we always go to Epcot once (since we only go for a five day, 3 park day visit each time because of being able to get off of work / school), since that is the only amount of time we can go into the park during our stay. But we never miss it when we are in the park!
    1/98 - offsite
    4/99 - offsite
    1/00- offsite
    5/03 - offsite
    12/03 - CBR
    12/04 - POP
    4/05 - DLR
    5/06 - POR
    4/08 - POR
    10/09 - POP
    10/11- POP
    12/12 - POP
    1/15 - POFQ
    12/16 - CS / OKW
    1/18 - POP
    9/18 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Usually just once since it is hard to find a good view without spending a longtime waiting. I am more willing to wait at MK for parade and fireworks.

But half the fun of waiting is people watching and talking to people waiting with you!Meet really nice fellow Disney fans from around the world.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: