Quantcast First Week of January Review

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Week of January Review

Hello! Just got back from a 5 day trip to Walt Disney World (January 2nd - January 6th) and I thought I'd provide a not-so-small review for those curious about traveling around this time period over the upcoming years.

VERY CROWDED. I was under the impression that the busiest weeks were the week before Christmas and the week after Christmas and that crowds typically slowed down tremendously at the start of January. Having arrived at the Orlando airport, we were greeted with a half an hour wait to board Magical Express and a fully loaded bus. (Not really a problem for us, but a surprise to see that many people). Once we arrived at Animal Kingdom Lodge, it was (excuse the pun) a zoo. The main check in line wrapped around itself three times over and the online check-in had about a 25 minute wait. I overheard a cast member talking to a guest about how the previous day (January 1st), was the busiest check-in day in recent history. They went on to say that they suspected the crowds were due to the resort discounts released a few months prior.

The parks were crowded and we soon discovered it would be nearly impossible to get on our favorite rides at Hollywood Studios --Tower of Terror, Rock N' Roller coaster -- each sporting 180+ minute waits. I enjoy them dearly, but I was not about to stand in line for three hours. It was only noon but the fast passes were already sold out. We soon realized the strategy for our remaining time at Disney World was to get to the parks before they even opened if we hoped to accomplish anything.

Our next morning was EPCOT and we were at the gates by 8:30AM (when the park opened at 9). It took 35 minutes to get through security and we beelined for Soarin' fastpasses. We were at Soarin' by 9:30 and received fastpasses for 2PM. This day was a bit better because we were able to get other rides in while we waited to use our Soarin' fastpasses. We visited Captain EO, Finding Nemo, and the Land, in what felt like minutes.

In an effort to not recap my entire trip, the general rule of thumb to make this incredibly busy week work was to get to the parks at opening, grab a fastpass for the number one must-do ride and wait in line for the number two must-do ride. Also, take advantage of late park hours and extra magic hours as the crowds did thin out. We were at MK one evening between 8PM and 1AM and covered almost every major ride in the park.

Dining reservations were almost impossible. We had a group of 14, but even if I tried to book dining for smaller divisions of our group (just 5 people), I could not find a single place available for booking. I have been trying to make reservations for the group, as a whole, since early December and I was only able to make one lunch reservation for our 5-day trip. In fact, one evening we had originally planned to just go wherever the day led us. My boyfriend and I decided we wanted to eat in EPCOT (just the two of us) and when I logged online to see what was available for an ADR, there were literally no places available over an 8 hour window. As I kept hitting refresh, Germany finally opened up and we snagged it.

I would not say the crowds ruined the trip, because I certainly had a blast. However, it did force us to actually plot out our days a whole lot more thoroughly than we anticipated. We had to decide what was actually worth seeing and make a plan for execution to do it. The biggest downer was the fact that almost all of the ADRs we were hoping to get were already booked weeks (perhaps, months) before we even stepped on site.

As a side note, all of the decorations were up through at least January 6th at the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. EPCOT seemed to be the earliest to tear down all of their decorations. Weatherwise, it ranged between 50 and 70F most of the week. The forecast showed sun the entire time when we arrived in Orlando, but seemed to change every single morning to clouds and mist for almost the entire day. The best day was Saturday. Lots of sun and hot.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It certainly does sound like it was very crowded! Thanks for sharing your experiences!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That is crazy crowded! When were there a few years ago in early January, isn't wasn't anything like that.

But, with discounts, and I know schools here went back "later" than usual, or maybe it was the same other places as well.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry it was so busy but glad you still had a great time.

I think this year is a bit of an anomaly because of where New Year's Day fell. I know many people who had the Monday off as well as Tuesday for New Year's Day which made it a lot more appealing to take the whole week off than usual. FL was another place where the kids went back to school late. Most of the Tampa area didn't go back until Jan 7th.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reporting.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! A huge line just to check in your resort and no R&R or ToT.....no bueno. It sounds like you made the best of it though.
    Thanks for sharing.

Julie
    ș0ș emerzmom ș0ș
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I've never seen a 35 minute wait to get through security at Epcot.

We arrived on the 10th and crowds were quite manageable by then. I think the weirdness of the holiday, like Cindy was saying, had a lot to do with that first week of January being busy.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, we are planning sometime in January or February for our next trip, guess we need to mark first week of January off. Thanks for the report

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

a THREE HOUR wait for a ride???
    That is out of control! wow! Still sounds like you found a way to manage the crowds and had a nice time! I enjoyed reading your report.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow

Wow, I never expected to hear some of the items you wrote regarding an early January visit to WDW. We leave in three days for a trip and we picked last weekend in January hoping it was mid winter down there, school was in and the weather may not be that great, all things to keep crowds away. We will see.
    * 2003 - Beach Club
    * 2004 - Downtown Disney
    * 2004 - ASS
    * 2005 - ASS
    * 2006 - Disneyland
    * 2008 - CSR
    * 2009 - CSR
    * 2010 - Beach Club
    * 2012 - CSR - (2)
    * 2013 - POP
    * 2013 - ASM
    * 2014 - Pop (2)
    * 2015 - CSR
    * 2017 - POP
    * 2019 - POP
    * 2020 - POP
    * 2021 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    șoș David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I was there at the same time frame and actually found the parks to be very managaeable and the reason I say that is because we have only been in the summer where you can't breath let alone walk through the seas of people. We had front row seats for the night time parades and didn't have to scope them out forever in advance. Longest wait time we had was Big Thunder at 45 mins.

I guess timing is everything.

June 2007--My Princess #1 First Trip!!!!! Off site
    June 2010--My Princess #2 First Trip!!!! CBR
    Aug 2011--POFQ
    Jan. 2013--POR
    Jan. 2014--I think this is becoming a tradition!! POR
    Jan 2018--All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

You definitely made the best of a horribly crowded week! Gees... I've been telling people that the first two weeks of January are good. I'll be revising that now!

Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IwannabeinNarnia View Post
    a THREE HOUR wait for a ride???
    Should have seen the waits at MK when Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain opened. Waits were 3-4 bathroom trips long. BTMRR had lines that stretched back to PotC back in the day.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: