Quantcast DHS Does Not Meet Disney Standards - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A park can have some very good attractions and still be bad. DCA, prior to its refurb, had the following:

-CA Screamin' (a GREAT coaster)
    -Soarin' over CA
    -Muppets 3D
    -Tower of Terror
    -Toy Story Midway Mania

Just having good rides isn't enough if the park as a WHOLE is disjointed. This is the problem DCA suffered from...lack of a cohesive, relevant theme. They spent a LOT of money to fix it because attendance there was a big problem. However, until the same happens (attendance wise) at DHS, I don't expect to see miracles happen over there. Sadly. It could be a great park, it just isn't.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

personally i think this park is more Disney than any other park but MK. Disney at the root is about movies and Hollywood.
    there are much more attractions a kid can ride and enjoy than AK.
    I love the atmosphere. I like how it opens up.
    the only thing i don't like is the hat. they could come up w/ something better i think.
    i would also agree the food selection is not as good as i'd like.
    all in all,i usually end up spending more time at Epcot, but HS is a close second.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I am really surprised to see so much disdain for The Studios. This is my family's favorite park. Not up to Disney standards? Nonsense.

Now i am not saying this park doesn't have flaws. Wasted space, poor layout and a theme that has lost it's original intent, all are big issues. But this is still a park that serves up some enjoyable moments.
    Two of my favorite restaurants are here.
    Two of my favorite attractions are here.
    Two of my wife's favorite attractions are here, and they are different than mine.
    My boys favorite shops are here.
    Each son also has a favorite attraction here.
    And even though they are not our favorites, we all enjoy Muppetvision, Indy,Toy Story and Fantasmic.

This is a park we come back to again and again over our weeks' vacation. And isn't that what a Disney vacation is all about. Families having fun together?
    Count me in as a human shield if the bulldozers get fired up. I love The Studios.

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand what your thoughts are on the subject. However, look at what is there and determine if it should not be there.

RnRC: Aerosmith is Hollywood. I do not know how you could argue that. However, think of another band that could pull it off without vulgar language and across multiple generations? I could name a bunch that would work, but not fit into Disney. If you took Aerosmith out completely, what could you do with it, make it Tron or Marvel?

ToT: This is straight out of the Twighlight Zone. Fits in perfectly.

GMR, Indiana Jones, The Muppets, Star Wars, Cars, TSMM, etc is all Hollywood.

I do think the park is drastically lacking breadth. The park is very big and can fit so much more. I do see them expanding Star Wars immensely in the park. I also see them adding a huge Marvel Comic area in there.

What DHS really needs are about 6-8 new family type rides and 2-3 more thrill rides all around Marvel and Star Wars. They can get rid of Narnia, American Midol, and a lot of the unused space in the back that is just back drops.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

HS was never missed in our trips before kids. But now I can do it in about half a day. I'm a big Toy Story nut and DH loves the Muppets. Usually, I wait out with the kids while DH doesn't Star Tour, RRC, and TOT, if th elines aren't too crazy. And the food choices aren't crazy awesome. But I Would be sad if we weren't able to go.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

We do like HS but def feel its not a full day park. I for one think it needs new attractions and or themed lands...I would love to see them do cars land here like previously speculated.
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Jill A View Post
    I'm with you on this one. Unless they open a brand new attraction, I can skip this park completely.
    yeah I'm good with a visit every 5 years or so. And I usually only do it as a half day. Last trip I decided to go to eat time as the flight from TX puts me in WDW around 2ish at the earliest. This is still plenty of time to knock out the Studios. AK is the same way. I don't feel the need to do these every trip.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

DHS has a lot of good IMO, but even so much of the good needs updating - Great Movie Ride, Indy, Muppets. Same thing, for so many years. Just look what the update did for Star Tours.

But unfortunately, there is so much bad - Backlot Tour, wasted space in Streets of America, LMA, Sounds Dangerous (when it's open), Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area, outdated shows (High School Musical, anyone?).

But I love so many things about DHS, like the Streetmosphere (superior to any other park), Fantasmic!, TSM, One Man's Dream, Animation Academy, Prime Time and Tune In Lounge, Starring Rolls Cafe. And of course, my boys love ToT and RnRC.

We'd never skip this park on a trip, but I really hope this is the domestic park that gets the next big bit of attention. It really needs it.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that they did a makeover on Magic Kingdom they can focus on the other parks including DHS especially now that they have purchased Lucas films.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

i'm sorry maybe me and dw are in the big minority here but we absolutely love DHS. I think it's themed correctly for what the park is. it's a hollywood backlot and it does just that. from the stage shows, movie ride, midway mania, backlot tour star tours, etc it does feel like your walking on a backot (IMHO). sure could it use some updating alla new fantasy land and new test track at epcot , but it doesn't need to be bulldozed and start over as 1 poster suggested, i'm sure that the imagineers will think of something to give the park a face lift, i mean they kinda started with the new Star Tours, i mean cmon how better did that attraction just get.

Victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I really love DHS BUT it needs MORE!!! The theming is great and we love the steet actors, but it definitely needs more of everything!!! More dining options, more family rides, more thrill rides (a monster's inc coaster anyone?). I agree there is a lot of wasted space and the theming could be more cohesive. As for the atmosphere though, I love each park for its own identity and DHS is really at the heart of Disney's business. They just need to take this and run with it. I don't understand why someone doesn't take this park and really make it a fantastic destination Just boggles my mind.
    POFQ 09/2013, 09/2014, 09/2015
    WL 09/2011, 09/2012
    POR 09/2010, 09/2009, 09/2008, 05/2007, 05/2006, 05/2004,
    AKL 05/2003
    POR 05/2001, 10/98
    Next POP 9/2016
    All Star Sports 09/95
    Honeymoon Dixie Landings Aug 1994
    1978 first visit to Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Our visits to HS were the low point of our most recent trip.

Yes, we think ToT, RnRC and TSMM are great rides and we enjoy these thoroughly. Muppets and Star Tours are fun.

But the place lacks magic - my wife and I thought the place, I dunno, depressing?

The latest Pirates thing was TERRIBLE; a complete waste of 1hr.

I grateful that we had three other parks that were great
    1984-first visit only one day 1996-WL 1998-CSR 2001-CSR 2003-POR & AKL 2004-AKL 2005-CBR 2006-CBR & BC 2007-Pop & CBR (solo) 2010-Pop (solo) 2011-Pop (solo) 2012-Pop 2013-Pop 2014-Pop (solo) 2015-Pop (solo) 2016-Pop (solo)

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lightyearfan View Post
    i'm sorry maybe me and dw are in the big minority here but we absolutely love DHS. I think it's themed correctly for what the park is. it's a hollywood backlot and it does just that. from the stage shows, movie ride, midway mania, backlot tour star tours, etc it does feel like your walking on a backot (IMHO). sure could it use some updating alla new fantasy land and new test track at epcot , but it doesn't need to be bulldozed and start over as 1 poster suggested, i'm sure that the imagineers will think of something to give the park a face lift, i mean they kinda started with the new Star Tours, i mean cmon how better did that attraction just get.
    Victor
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the hidden magic at HS. I have many happy memories of visits to this park with my family, especially my Mother. It's not always only about the thrill attractions. If you take your time and explore slowly, you will experience some funny live entertainment, hear some great music, witness a child's amazing reaction when she/he sees a favorite character for the first time, walk around after dark and listen to the different music in each area. So, watch for me when you're at HS, I'll be the one watching the street performers often, because each show is different. I'll be coming out of One Man's Dream or for the 50th time and heading to Muppet Vision 3D for the 50th time. I may be at one of my favorite TS, 50s Prime Time, or favorite CS, Backlot Express. As it gets close to closing time, I'll be sitting on a bench on Sunset just opposite one of the speakers, waiting for "Sing Sing" to play and remembering how often this how we ended the day while my Mother was alive. Sing Sing was her favorite big band song, and if we were lucky the long version was playing, we were never permitted to speak until the song ended. I still end my days at HS the same way. Pure magical!!
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Patience. Disney now owns Star Wars. It's pretty safe to say that a much larger part of this park is going to evolve into Star Wars World...

Post Thanks / Like

We just went on our first big WDW trip this past year, and DHS was our first stop.

We chose it to be first because we thought it wouldn't be so overwhelming for the first day. Somewhere to take our time on, and somewhere our DD could see Mickey without being completely Disney-struck in MK.

We had a blast that day! I found some of my favorite rides (TOT is the best ride anywhere, ST, RRC, TSMM, - all great!) there. Good food, good shows, good atmosphere.

Now, I can see what you are saying - it does feel "mashed together" when compared with MK or Epcot, where there is distinct theming in each area. Hopefully that will come.

I'd expect (hope?) that DHS sees some love next in the parks. I can see them lifting Cars land from DHS and plopping it right over the backlot, and putting in "Star Wars land" right next door. (The only wrinkle in this is this crazy "Avatar" talk...)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that DHS doesn't have a "Disney Feel" because of the theme of the attractions. Besides Aerosmith, the park is based on Hollywood movies. Disney has always been a big part of Hollywood. What will be interesting is how the Marvel and Star Wars acquisitions will change the parks in the years to come. Again, Marvel and Star Wars may not be the classic Disney stories and characters, but they are part of Disney now.

On another note...do Animal Kingdom, or Epcot really feel like Disney either? Epcot is about World Cultures and technology of the future. AK is about wildlife. Disney takes the topics and infuses original stories and characters and makes great attractions.

So if you ask me is Magic Kingdom Disney? I'd say absolutely, it has attractions based on classic Disney characters and stories, and it has recognizable Disney symbols, like the castle, and Main Street etc. The other parks, besides Epcot maybe, are so new, that I feel they have not been around long enough to have images or symbols that I identify as Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Yeah, I pretty much agree. There are pockets of fun stuff to do ... like I enjoy Star Tours, the Muppets and TGMR (although it's dated and needs a refurb BADLY). And I love RRC and ToT, although I carefully balance the wait times with whether I ride or not. They're fun, but I would never wait like 45 minutes to ride either one. 10 or 15 minutes is usually my break point.

TSM is ... I mean, it's cool. But the hype and the ridiculous lines and cattle stampede and Fastpass craziness ... no thanks. If I make it there at opening and can ride, I do. If not it's not a make-or-break for me.

But the rest of the park I can do without. The Backlot is a shadow of what it once was. LMA is totally pointless to me. American Idol experience is a one trick pony. And my feelings on Fantasmic are well documented ... I'd sooner chew my own arm off than be stuck in that snooze fest ever again.

Overall, I agree the park feels very disjointed and lacks the cohesive theme/feel of the other three parks. Once they closed the actual studio I don't think they really knew what they wanted to do with it. They sorta kinda tried to make it the "thrill park", but they stopped after two attractions?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree !!!

I would not be sad to see this entire park bulldozed and have them start over a la DCA.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I just thought of this .... I know I'm showing my age, but one thing I absolutely can't stand about DHS is the NOISE!

It seems like there's always some corny teeny bopper show going on in front of the (God-awful needs to be blown up) hat.

It really detracts from the overall atmosphere of the park when you're walking along over by Star Tours and you can still here some terrible High School Musical garbage playing over the background music.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by borisfam View Post
    Patience. Disney now owns Star Wars. It's pretty safe to say that a much larger part of this park is going to evolve into Star Wars World...
    It's not... Unless you want to consider these interactive games a much larger part of the park... What we see is what we get, for Star Wars... Pixar will be taking over more of the park...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: