Quantcast Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just checking in with an update. Thanks to all the good advice I was able to run my first race today! Did the 5k in 33:40... my best time yet :-) :-) :-)

I also decided not to wait a year - I am registered to run the Wine and Dine in November! Next step is a 10k in Plymouth in May. Probably going to take a few days off before jumping into the next round of training though. My calf has been hurting since my run Friday and I want to give it ample rest for healing. If it still hurts at the end of this week I am going to see a doctor. Last thing needed is for this to ruin my Disney goal!!!!

Thank you all again! I so love this thread!!
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lettripp View Post
    Just checking in with an update. Thanks to all the good advice I was able to run my first race today! Did the 5k in 33:40... my best time yet :-) :-) :-)
    Great Job! Congratulations!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    ted Well, through some snow and sleet, I covered 3.12 miles in 44 minutes, averaging a 14:24 mile. It was a sluggish morning and I had to fight through the first mile, but by the end I had so much more energy!
    YAY! Good for you. I always struggle through the first mile. My mind tries to convince my body that this is just a fad and I'll quit soon. Everything seems to hurt during that first mile but once my brain decides I'm not giving up, the miles that follow are so much easier!

Hang in there!!
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lettripp View Post

I also decided not to wait a year - I am registered to run the Wine and Dine in November! Next step is a 10k in Plymouth in May. Probably going to take a few days off before jumping into the next round of training though. My calf has been hurting since my run Friday and I want to give it ample rest for healing. If it still hurts at the end of this week I am going to see a doctor. Last thing needed is for this to ruin my Disney goal!!!!

Thank you all again! I so love this thread!!
    That is so cool! Way to go!! You totally got the 10K. It is just two 5Ks back-to-back. Take care of your injuries.

I'm looking forward to the Wine and Dine. It will be my first time doing this race.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast

Post Thanks / Like

I also appreciate this thread. I ran the half in January and was keeping up the training. However, I then had something akin to the flu and am having trouble getting back into training. Reading about the successes of training and races is just the motivation I need. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Training – Week 4
    I’m still really stoked to be training for the marathon, which has helped getting up at 5:30am for training runs. Last week I found that I was developing some chafing on my upper thighs. After doing a bit of research online, I decided that some compression shorts might be helpful. I don’t know that I can be bothered applying body glide for every training session – particularly so early in the morning. Turns out Rebel Sport had compression shorts 30% off last weekend, so I picked up a pair of Body Armor shorts – and they did the trick. Feels so much more comfortable running in them. Not sure that the ‘compression’ aspect will make any difference to my muscles etc, but it has eliminated chafing!

This week I ran:

Tues – 5k (Ave pace 6:43/km)
    Thurs – 5k (Ave pace 6:23/km)
    Sat – 9k (Ave pace 6:36/km)

So I feel I am improving.

Trip planning
    So this week rumors leaked – later confirmed by runDisney - that a new 10k will be added for 2014 marathon weekend as well as a ‘Dopey’ medal for doing the 5K, 10K, ½ and full. I have no intentions of doing the Dopey – or the Goofy. However, this news did impact our plans because the 5k has moved to the Thursday. We had planned to arrive on Wednesday evening, pick up our race packets and do the Expo on Thursday and race the 5k on Friday. Not sure if we will have time to get our race packets if we arrive Wednesday night and run Thursday morning.

The 5k was the reason for my Dad to come along. I asked if he would do the 10k instead (he probably could), but he was not super keen. He has found while training for the 5k that jogging can aggravate his back. The last thing I want him to do is injure himself.

Anyway – to cut a long story short – due to the super efforts (and understanding) of my brilliant wife – we were lucky enough to be able to change our frequent flyer flights to the USA to a day earlier, which means we will be able to arrive in time to do the 5k and be properly rested (and still do the 10k if we choose to - still working on Dad for that one!) As an added bonus, we were able to get direct Melbourne – LAX flights, which will make the journey easier.

That’s about it for this week, except to say that I love my wife so much. She has been so supportive of this endeavor – even though she will be left at home with two small kids while I am away running. I couldn't do it without her.
    Michael ºoº

• Oct '12 Port Orleans Riverside
    • Aug '11 Disneyland (D23 Expo) / WDW Pop Century
    • Apr '10 Pop Century
    • Sept '09 Disneyland (D23 Expo)
    • Oct '08 Pop Century
    • March 2007 - Pop Century
    • Nov 2003 - All Star Movies - Honeymoon
    • Nov 2001 - All Star Movies
    • Nov 2000 - Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Minnie View Post
    I also appreciate this thread. I ran the half in January and was keeping up the training. However, I then had something akin to the flu and am having trouble getting back into training. Reading about the successes of training and races is just the motivation I need. Thank you.
    Set backs happen. Hang in there! The hardest for me after a break is just getting the shoes laced up again. I set my clothes and gear out the night before so I don't have the excuse "I have nothing to wear". I then use motivational sayings to get going. My favorite right after waking up is "feet on the floor and out the door!"
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast

Post Thanks / Like

Great report, mickeyd! How great you are able to rearrange your trip. Keep up the good work!
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast

Post Thanks / Like

I stress this with no joke...if you are training for a marathon do NOT focus on your weight or the numbers. Focus on the food you are putting into your body and the work you are doing on training...the rest will follow suit. Losing weight can put a strain on your heart and if you are not replacing nutrients properly you can leave yourself wide open to a stroke. Carbs before and protein afterwards. This doesn't mean you cant lose weight doing it. I am just saying it will happen automatically, so try not to focus on that. Be healthy, be safe. This training is amazing and can leave you mentally in the best shape of your life. There isnt a one of us who isn't capable of it and its a small percentage on the planet that ever does a marathon or half marathon so consider yourself one of the few who do this bucket list item. Push yourself harder than you ever have before, run like you stole something, and when you want to quit remember that the pain is temporary and insignifcant turn up your music and forget about where it hurts. I lost 50lbs doing this and crossed the Goofy finish line in Jan and returned for princess in Feb. and I am no athlete...just another mother.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Great job everyone! Thanks for checking in. Today I ran another full practice 5k around the neighborhood (very uneven), and forgot my dang inhaler again, but still shaved 2 mins off my average and 4 mins off my total time. DH and I signed up for our first official 5k next month at the Philadelphia Zoo to support Orangutans!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job everyone! Thanks for checking in. Today I ran another full practice 5k around the neighborhood (very uneven), and forgot my dang inhaler again, but still shaved 2 mins off my average and 4 mins off my total time. DH and I signed up for our first official 5k next month at the Philadelphia Zoo to support Orangutans!
    Way to go Maryanne!!!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

I ran 5 miles yesterday, and I felt great while doing it.

And then, I had a headache for the rest of the day. Sigh. This happens to me every time I run further than about a 5k. It's SO frustrating.

I'm really debating whether or not I should do the 10K at WDW. I know I can do it, but I'm not sure I really want to pay the price with a headache, or worse, a migraine, for the rest of the day and possibly ruin the whole weekend.

As much as I wish I was, I'm just not cut out for distance running, apparently. If it's not my hip or knee, it's my head.

Just venting my frustration.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Hey BrerGnat,

Hang in there. Your body will tell you what it wants to do. I don't know your situation but I used to get headaches and I learned for me it was from dehydration. I have increased my water intake by a few glasses the day before a run (I only run every other day) and take in about 4 oz every 20 minutes of running.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    Hey BrerGnat,
    Hang in there. Your body will tell you what it wants to do. I don't know your situation but I used to get headaches and I learned for me it was from dehydration. I have increased my water intake by a few glasses the day before a run (I only run every other day) and take in about 4 oz every 20 minutes of running.
    Nat, from reading this thread it seems like you really know a lot about the ins and outs of running so I'm sure you know all about hydration, but I know that for me, once I started really paying close attention to how much water I was taking in, it made a huge difference in how I felt after the run. If you don't think the headache is a hydration issue, maybe it is a stress issue or even a food trigger? Allergies? If you are running outside on a sunny day, even squinting can lead to headaches. Lots of things can cause headaches and sadly sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error to figure it out. Good luck.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

No, it's nothing to do with hydration, food, or environment. It's called "exertion headache" and it's common in people who have migraine. I've had migraine my entire life and get lots of headaches for various reasons. Exercise induces headaches when I go at it too hard or for too long. I can't do really intense workouts like P90X, for example. I CAN do the exercise, but I get a crippling headache from that kind of thing. I also can't do stuff like sprints or jumping jacks. Anything that causes my heart rate to go way up or is really high impact is out.

Yesterday was a slow run on the treadmill. I drank tons of water before and during, and even had to stop to use the bathroom midway. I ate a good balanced breakfast right before. Had a banana and a Greek yogurt with more water immediately after. Still got the darn headache.

I still have the headache today. Stinks.

I'll stick with my 3 mile runs. I can rock those like no one's business.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Last weekend I broke the five mile mark and felt really good about it. Well, I felt like I was pushing myself in the end and was glad to stop after an hour, but after I got my breath back I felt really good about it. Following the 5k to 10k program I should be ready for a 10k in about two weeks. I registered for one in May up in Napa. I just wanted to get a long run in prior to doing the Disneyland Half in September.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Nat, I hear you. I suffered with migraines for almost a decade. I can't tell you why I stopped getting them, but I don't anymore(at least not at the frequency and intensity as I used to). I know how awful they can be. Stress is a big trigger. The body is a funny thing. Because you're now used to/expecting to get these headaches, it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Maybe you could do something really relaxing as soon as you get back from a big run? (Nice bath after a quick shower, aroma therapy, mindfulness meditation etc). If you notice you get the headaches during higher impact, maybe wear a heart rate monitor and walk more or jog at slower speeds and monitor your rate, and pay close attention to your breathing. Most of all stay positive. Just throwing ideas out there, I know it really stinks when you want to achieve something and your body isn't letting you.

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    Last weekend I broke the five mile mark and felt really good about it. Well, I felt like I was pushing myself in the end and was glad to stop after an hour, but after I got my breath back I felt really good about it. Following the 5k to 10k program I should be ready for a 10k in about two weeks. I registered for one in May up in Napa. I just wanted to get a long run in prior to doing the Disneyland Half in September.
    Whoo hoo!!! Great job! 10K in Napa sounds nice! Keep it up
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Bah, I had a great run on Sunday (just under 6 miles!) but I haven't done anything since except 30 minutes on the elliptical Monday. I'm getting ready to travel to DC for Easter and making time to run this week was hard. Plus we've had events on campus at my job that includes brownies, cupcakes and carbs. So my eating has also been poor this week and it's not likely to get better with all those Reese's eggs waiting for me Sunday. I hope everyone else celebrating holidays right now enjoys them!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Nat, I hear you. I suffered with migraines for almost a decade.
    Only a decade? Lucky!

I started having headaches at the age of 3, according to my mom. I'm almost 35 now. Seems like there is no end in sight for me.

I have lots of triggers, which makes it so frustrating. Stress, heat, lack of sleep, waiting too long between meals, weather changes, hormonal changes, etc.

I've dealt with it my whole life. It's just annoying when there is something I really want to do, and I just can't.

I am hopeful that my headaches will stop after menopause. That happened to my MIL, so I can only hope!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Nikki, way to go on the run. Don't worry too much about the diet during the holiday. Just get right back on track when it's over
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Only a decade? Lucky!
    Yes I know! It was a tough decade and I'm very relieved to have one less medical issue to worry about. Hopefully they are gone for good, and hopefully one day soon you can say the same. You've definitely earned it. Many people don't realize how crippling migraines can be. It's so much more than a "bad headache."
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: