Quantcast Universal - Hard Rock and Parks

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Universal - Hard Rock and Parks

Just wanted to give my point of highs and lows on the hotel and parks. I'am a disney addict and went with an open mind. Had a great time overall, didn't like how a few things went but nothing that would ruin a trip.

Checked in early and got upgraded (yay)

Was told by front desk there was a free shuttle for discovery cove, (I have also read this on discussion boards). There is only a shuttle to Seaworld and Concierge told me that it makes it too late for Discovery but can take a $30 one way town car out front.

Check in/tickets - Did not like having to check in and then go to another counter to get tickets (package) and then to the park to get Express tickets (the kiosk in the hotel was down).
    There are very few kiosks in park and took some searching and asking. My sons did not work(you have to insert room key with your name) so had to walk to walk all the way back to Guest Services and they could not get it to work either. Issued a complimentary express pass. I thought this is where clearly Disney does things better (everything all on your room key).

Rooms were clean and big enough. I missed having a balcony.

Housekeeping had not come by the time we got back one day at 4 so tracked them down and just go towels.

Pool is beautiful, and "The Kitchen" had great food.

It was nice to have a town car availalble when ever you needed it outside the door. Airport transfer was $55. Overall we spent less then renting a car. We spent about $150 in transportation versus the $300 - 400 it would have been to rent a car. (We don't rent a car at Disney)

Parks were clean and fun. Fun to do new rides (or rides I don't remember) It did seem like almost every ride had a spin/simulator involved someway which is why I'm glad I left hubby at home. Unlike Disney he would have probably sat out a lot of rides.

Express pass was great, this is the main reason I decided to stay at Universal hotel. It was worth the money it cost to stay at the hotel. It was vacation week for a lot and it was pretty crowded.

We waited the 90 mins for Harry Potter (have never chose to wait that long for any ride!) but it was great!

We also spent a day at Discovery Cove and Seaworld. I felt Discovery Cove was the favorite day for everyone and well worth the money.

Overall, great trip, We were very sad to leave. I'am glad we finally did a non-Disney vacation but don't have an overwhelming need to go back in the next couple of years!
    DisneyBarb

Poly 2016
    Poly 2015
    Beach Club 2014
    offsite- - Disneyland 2013
    Poly 2013
    Poly 2012
    Poly 2010
    Poly 2009
    Poly 2007
    Poly 2005
    Contemporary 2004
    WL 2003
    Poly 2003
    CB 1990
    Poly 1988
    off site 1983, 1980, 1978, 1971

Go Pats!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused about you having to pick up Express Tickets? And being offered complimentary express passes. Was that for Discovery Cove?

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    I'm confused about you having to pick up Express Tickets? And being offered complimentary express passes. Was that for Discovery Cove?
    There are new procedures in place for express pass. After you check in you have to bring your whole party, as well as each room key, to a set of kiosks set up in the lobby to print out express pass tickets. You swipe your room key, the machine takes a picture of you and your express pass is printed with your dates and photo.

There were three machines set up in the Hard Rock lobby, with an "out of order" sign on one of them. There was a family using one machine so we used the other machine. My son went first and his ticket would not print, then it would not accept any of our other room keys so we waited for the family to finish. We got all EP tickets except my son's. He would get a message that he already had his ( the one that didn't print). We had to go back to front desk, wait in line again (not what you really feel like doing when you just finished checking in), and the team member reset his room key. We had to go back to kiosk, wait for all the families that were originally behind us to finish their transactions to be able to get his express pass. Keeping in mind that there was now only one machine working.

We had purchased our tickets at shades of green, but if you were purchasing tickets there you then had to go to another line to purchase tickets. It's really a lot of unnecessary waiting in lines for stuff you should be able to get at one desk when checking in. We too were a bit annoyed at the set up.

We were driving in from Disney. My SIL and her family arrived a few minutes after us, had trouble getting their EP tickets printed as well, and had to purchase their park tickets from the ticket desk in the lobby. We went put our paper work in our room, had our military tickets activated at guest services in the park, and were in the park before they were finished getting everything they needed to head to the parks. Very annoying.

I hope it's just a matter of working out the kinks in a new system. I can't imagine they truly expect guests to spend so much time just getting what they need to start their vacation. It was a complete mess.

We really enjoy universal, but add the mess that is their check in process, to the fact that multiple rides were unexpectedly down ( our favorite rip ride rocket for the entire day) and we know that universal won't be part of every Disney trip. There just isn't enough to do in their parks to have a major rides down for huge parts of, or full days. We still enjoyed our trip and will definitely go back, just not in a huge hurry. And for those who think universal has their stuff together while Disney is crumbling by the way side, think again. Disney still felt more "magical" and fulfilling than our time in Universal this trip. But maybe that's just me! Lol

And for the record I am not in any way a universal basher. I have always stated that if Disney fans go to universal with an open mind it's just as clean and fun a theme park resort.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I didn't organize my writing very well! but yes as Buzznwoodysmom explained it was for Express pass at Universal. Normally you have to check in, go to a different counter to get park tickets and then use room key to use at hotel kiosk to get express pass. Since the hotel kiosk was down we had to use the kiosk in park and when it did not work for my son Guest services in park gave him a complimentary express pass so we did not have to go back to hotel right then to get straightened out. We were able to get it fixed when we got back to the hotel.
    DisneyBarb

Poly 2016
    Poly 2015
    Beach Club 2014
    Poly 2013
    Poly 2012
    Poly 2010
    Poly 2009
    Poly 2007
    Poly 2005
    Contemporary 2004
    WL 2003
    Poly 2003
    CB 1990
    Poly 1988

Go Pats!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok .... the new express pass system sounds like a complete pain and seems unnecessary. Grumble, grumble. This could be especially frustrating when you arrive early to check in just to get to the park at opening.

So, now you have your room key, your park ticket AND an express pass? I assume they had to implement new procedures because of people duplicating room keys, but still ... grumble, grumble.

Glad your trip worked out fine otherwise.

Denise - I agree with your complaints about rides being down. Our first day, Rip Ride Rock It was down most of the day (until closing). My kids were disappointed, but because they had not ridden it yet and we still had another 3 days, it was not that big of a deal, but one day out of your only one or two day trip is a HUGE deal ... or at least it would be for my family.
    I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH

Post Thanks / Like

Ok .... the new express pass system sounds like a complete pain and seems unnecessary. Grumble, grumble. This could be especially frustrating when you arrive early to check in just to get to the park at opening.

So, now you have your room key, your park ticket AND an express pass? I assume they had to implement new procedures because of people duplicating room keys, but still ... grumble, grumble.

Glad your trip worked out fine otherwise.

Denise - I agree with your complaints about rides being down. Our first day, Rip Ride Rock It was down most of the day (until closing). My kids were disappointed, but because they had not ridden it yet and we still had another 3 days, it was not that big of a deal, but one day out of your only one or two day trip is a HUGE deal ... or at least it would be for my family.
    I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!
    They had to change procedure because employees were giving out room keys as express passes to friends who were not staying at any of the Universal resorts... I had a friend who used to work for there... The problem was more wide spread than people knew... So, because people were trying to get over, the procedure put in place now affects people trying to do the right thing...

Sounds like a pain to resort guests sadly...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    They had to change procedure because employees were giving out room keys as express passes to friends who were not staying at any of the Universal resorts... I had a friend who used to work for there... The problem was more wide spread than people knew... So, because people were trying to get over, the procedure put in place now affects people trying to do the right thing...

Sounds like a pain to resort guests sadly...
    Someone always has to spoil the fun for all. Still, not sure why they can't just put a picture on your room key (and might as well incorporate your park tickets on your room key too).

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH

Post Thanks / Like

Someone always has to spoil the fun for all. Still, not sure why they can't just put a picture on your room key (and might as well incorporate your park tickets on your room key too).
    This is exactly what they should do, have it all on one card that you can get at one desk when you check in. It would really be nice to be able to have all three things on one card. While having the three different things was a pain, the major pain was getting them all at different locations and having 2 out of the 3 kiosks not working. It may not sound like much, but it was a major pain for both my family as well as my SIL's family. I don't mind them taking steps to stop people from breaking the rules, but they should try to make it as quick and easy for guests to get what they need. At the very least have all machines in working order.

In our case we only had 2 nights at Hard Rock. We were doing US the same day we checked in so we were late being able to get to the park that day because of their system.

And Karen, that was our only day to ride Rip Ride Rocket. Such a bummer. When we entered the park we were told RRR would be open around 1. Went to ride Mummy....down, might be open around 1. Mummy did eventually open, but we went back to RRR, as well as watched it from various points in the park, and it never came back up. We did see it running at one point, booked it over there only to be told these were test runs, no guests on the ride. We went back to HRH with intentions of going back to park for RRR. I called the park a few times from the hotel and was told each time that RRR was still not operational. Major let down for my youngest son who talked about that ride for weeks leading up to the trip. A scheduled ride closure I can deal with, but this was just disappointing.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that the pass to get into parks does not have your name on it, you have to use your finger also so put your name on back so you will have pass that goes with your finger. The whole process is a pain but if you know what to expect then it should be less of an issue! I hope this is helpful
    DisneyBarb

Poly 2016
    Poly 2015
    Beach Club 2014
    Poly 2013
    Poly 2012
    Poly 2010
    Poly 2009
    Poly 2007
    Poly 2005
    Contemporary 2004
    WL 2003
    Poly 2003
    CB 1990
    Poly 1988

Go Pats!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, someone always spoils the fun... And what you said would be so much easier, and guest friendly...

Buzz, did you ever call or contact Guest Services and report the issue about the express pass? Not that things would change over night, but if they hear about your concern, maybe they will take it seriously, especially if they have gotten other complaints... Won't hurt to give them a call... Comcast is all over the park and looking for ways to improve everything...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBarb View Post
    It was nice to have a town car availalble when ever you needed it outside the door. Airport transfer was $55. Overall we spent less then renting a car. We spent about $150 in transportation versus the $300 - 400 it would have been to rent a car. (We don't rent a car at Disney)

We waited the 90 mins for Harry Potter (have never chose to wait that long for any ride!) but it was great
    Thanks for the report, but there is somethingI would like to clear up for those who have never stayed at a Universal Hotel. You do not need to rent a car or pay for any transporation while visiting any Univesal Park or City Walk. You can walk to everything very easily. Now, if you leave the property to go to Sea World or any other non Universal property you do need transporation, just as you would if you were staying at a Disney hotel and wanted to go to a non Disney property lik Sea World.

We stayed at the Hard Rock in October and had no trouble with the kiosk at all. All the machines were working and the process was quick. It is a new system so I am sure things will come up that need to be improved.

As far as major rides going down, it happens. I can't tell you how may times I have been in the Toy Story line after waitng an hour, to be told the ride was down for the rest of the day. We don't even bother with it anymore. Same with Big Thunder Railroad and Rockin Rollercoaster, they are always going down.

HP is the hot ticket in Orlando right now so the lines will be long, but with staying at the Hard Rock you were able to get into IOA an hour before opening, so that shouldhave helped with the wait time.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    As far as major rides going down, it happens. I can't tell you how may times I have been in the Toy Story line after waitng an hour, to be told the ride was down for the rest of the day. We don't even bother with it anymore. Same with Big Thunder Railroad and Rockin Rollercoaster, they are always going down.
    No I totally agree that it happens. It's just that US aleady doesn't have a ton of great rides that when two of the main attractions are down for half of, or a full day, you are very limited in what you have to do. Mummy didn't open till 1, RRR didn't open at all. Those are the two main rides we were looking forward to. I guess once they finish revamping this park there will be a lot more to do. For now having those two rides down really took away from the parks experience for us.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Buzz, did you ever call or contact Guest Services and report the issue about the express pass? Not that things would change over night, but if they hear about your concern, maybe they will take it seriously, especially if they have gotten other complaints... Won't hurt to give them a call... Comcast is all over the park and looking for ways to improve everything...
    I did express my concern when we had to go back to the check in desk to have DS's ticket reset. I also went back to let them know that many guests were still trying to use the kiosk that was broken. Letting them know that an "out of order sign" needs to be placed so that guests don't have to go back and have tickets reset because the machine wasn't working.

But your right I should go farther and contact Guest Services about the issues I had. With only two days in Universal, and already feeling like we were getting a late start the last thing I wanted to do with the time I did have there was spend it with Guest Services.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    I did express my concern when we had to go back to the check in desk to have DS's ticket reset. I also went back to let them know that many guests were still trying to use the kiosk that was broken. Letting them know that an "out of order sign" needs to be placed so that guests don't have to go back and have tickets reset because the machine wasn't working.

But your right I should go farther and contact Guest Services about the issues I had. With only two days in Universal, and already feeling like we were getting a late start the last thing I wanted to do with the time I did have there was spend it with Guest Services.
    Do it... Contact them... Believe me, Comcast knows what they are doing... I am sure they would hate to hear about the issues you faced... Cause if you faced them, hundreds, maybe thousands of others faced them... One is too many...

I believe, as paying consumers, we should always express our displeasure or notify them of issues and problems, whether it be Universal or Disney... Only way things will improve the guest experience is my voicing our concerns...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: