Quantcast Abandoned zones in disney

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Abandoned zones in disney

What are some areas of the Disney parks that you would love to see something happen other than let an abandoned building or area sit?

For me it is wonders of life pavilion, river country and sounds dangerous. These areas just sit and rot away and they are in prime real estate.
    why not do something with it?
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Epcot:
    Odyssey Restaurant
    Japan's ride building (ride planned, but never built)
    Germany's ride building (ride planned, but never built)

Post Thanks / Like

Japan and Germany have an empty ride building? Were there rides actually there, or just plans that never came to be??
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retiredfigment View Post
    Japan and Germany have an empty ride building? Were there rides actually there, or just plans that never came to be??
    They planned the rides (or at least planned FOR them,) but never built them.

Post Thanks / Like

Odyssey in Epcot. Isn't there an area too near the side of the Castle, in MK, before you enter into the Tommorrowland HUB? I think they used to have the swan boats? I am pretty sure there is a quick serv restaurant but it seems like prime real estate to do something with. An please no more character meet and greet spots. Nothing wrong with those, just there are plenty already.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    Huh, I never knew that.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    Huh, I never knew that.
    In the EPCOT Center books that Disney published in the early 80s, you can read about them and some other phase 2 things that never materialized.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, give 'em time. After all, it's only taken them 20 years for them to do something significant with the space from "20K Leagues Under the Sea" after they closed that. I'm not holding my breath.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to get inside the adventures club at PI ... i was exactly 3 days late to be there on the last day ...
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

Germany's building was really only half completed. It was to be another boat ride, except down the Rhine River. The Queue is where you go in to the Biergraden. As for Japan, I'm not even sure they have the building. It never made it past some blue sky stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    Odyssey in Epcot. Isn't there an area too near the side of the Castle, in MK, before you enter into the Tommorrowland HUB? I think they used to have the swan boats? I am pretty sure there is a quick serv restaurant but it seems like prime real estate to do something with. An please no more character meet and greet spots. Nothing wrong with those, just there are plenty already.
    The Odyssey makes me sad. It was a great counter service stop before moving onto WS.

As for the Swan Boats, the stations for those are out by the castle. You can't miss them. Their just covered seating areas along the water way.

And the restaurant off to the right of the Tomorrowland entrance from the hub is pretty sad...although a good place to get some shade, and quiet.

As for other Phase II plans - Israel, Spain and Equatorial Africa were going to be added. The Refreshment Outpost is where the original Africa sign was.
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Default All

For the new price at 100 bucks a ticket there shoudl be know areas sitting idle. As much as we love the place they are getting carried away from the entrance to the food. Now even parking went up. And please stop with the meet and greets I know there are young ones there but we skip entire sections of the park now because that is all they are. Sorry for the rant just hate seeing price increases and nothing for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I would feel better about it if the cm's were at least getting a raise.
    But that is interesting about the swan boats. i never knew where they were.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcjaco View Post

1- Germany's building was really only half completed. It was to be another boat ride, except down the Rhine River. The Queue is where you go in to the Biergraden.

2- As for Japan, I'm not even sure they have the building. It never made it past some blue sky stuff.
    1- Germany, from ABOVE.

2- Japan, from ABOVE.

Post Thanks / Like

Epcot:
    Odyssey Restaurant
    Japan's ride building (ride planned, but never built)
    Germany's ride building (ride planned, but never built)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcjaco View Post
    As for Japan, I'm not even sure they have the building. It never made it past some blue sky stuff.
    I'm gonna agree with this. The Germany pavilion did indeed have a boat ride planned, but, Japan, I'm not so sure about. I have never heard anything about any ride, other than some "blue sky" (ideas) stuff thrown around - for instance, the big one I can remember was a Matterhorn-like bobsled type ride based on Mount Fuji, and sponsored by FujiFilm. However, since Kodak was the "official film and cameras of Walt Disney World", the idea was scrapped. I don't think a show building for the ride was ever built; but, I'm not sure what the building is at the back of the pavilion shown in the link above. I know at least the middle third of that building between the front (labeled as "restaurant/bar") and the larger, rear part, is part of the Mitsukoshi department store.

Isn't there an area too near the side of the Castle, in MK, before you enter into the Tommorrowland HUB? I think they used to have the swan boats? I am pretty sure there is a quick serv restaurant but it seems like prime real estate to do something with.
    As for the Swan Boats, the stations for those are out by the castle. You can't miss them. Their just covered seating areas along the water way.
    Two totally different locations - sort of. The *original* Swan Boat dock was the Plaza Landing, down in front of the Plaza Restaurant just off of Main Street. It's just a seating/smoking area now. The Swan Boat loading/unloading dock then moved to the Rose Garden - the green covered "pavilion" down near the water, opposite Cosmic Ray's.

The "restaurant" in between Main Street and Tomorrowland - what is now known as Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station (or whatever they're calling it), had hot dogs and pizza for *years* during the park's first two and a half decades. The french fries there were *awesome*! Just wish they'd fix the menu (Asian "fusion" in Tomorrowland? Really?) and open it year-'round again.

As for the original topic:

How 'bout the Adventureland Veranda (just to the right of Aloha Isle and Dole whips)?

El Pirata y el Perrico - "The Pirate and the Parrot" - I *believe* is now Tortuga Tavern or something? When El Pirata *was* open, they had some *goooooood* taco salads.

The Davy Crockett canoes. These are still running at Disneyland; why not at Walt Disney World?

Speaking of the Rivers of America, there was really no reason to "put out the fire" on the burning cabin :/

Odyssey - I agree with y'all. When I last was in there, in about 2010, it was still *very* clean inside, and (for guests) was being used for Food/Wine and Flower/Garden. I *believe* the restrooms are still accessible (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

All of the Pleasure Island clubs. I really didn't understand the reasoning behind closing them all down and basically "rebuilding" the entire area. Seems like a LOT of money wasted twenty-five years ago when they opened :/

The Wonders of Life pavilion is in kind of the same "quandary" as the Odyssey. It *is* being used for the F/G and F/W, but still, there's *attractions* in that building that were *great*: "Where do you think you are, *DISNEY WORLD*?!" You also have Body Wars and Making of Me.

The "abandoned" Ft. Wilderness Railroad. You can actually still follow the rails into and through the woods - and maybe pick up a souvenir along the way

River Country and the original Discovery Island (in Bay Lake, east of the Contemporary and north of Ft. Wilderness) both need to be cleaned up and either 1) something done with; or 2) just get rid of the two messes. They're just....*eyesores* now
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

I remember a boat ride in Animal Kingdom, but I never got to ride it. I heard on a podcast somewhere there were lots of problems and it will never re-open.

How about a riverside restaurant there instead? Put it right on the water. Just "blue-skying" outside the box.

I miss Cranium Command. I would like to see it return, coupled with a revamped Body Wars similar to what they did at Star Tours 2.0.

What ever happened to the street in Hollywood Studios where they used to film the exterior of The Golden Girls' house? The Backlot Tour used to go down that street, but on our last trip (2012) it didn't. Is that gone? Or just shut off?

Is anything in the location where Hunchback of Notre Dame used to be performed? That was a good show.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    I remember a boat ride in Animal Kingdom, but I never got to ride it. I heard on a podcast somewhere there were lots of problems and it will never re-open.

How about a riverside restaurant there instead? Put it right on the water. Just "blue-skying" outside the box.
    Like the swan boats in the MK, you can see the landings for these in various places. For a while, some of them were used as meet 'n' greets.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    What ever happened to the street in Hollywood Studios where they used to film the exterior of The Golden Girls' house? The Backlot Tour used to go down that street, but on our last trip (2012) it didn't. Is that gone? Or just shut off?
    They're completely gone. They got rid of it when they developed the area for Lights, Motor, Action.

I know that there is already a saturation of Disney Resorts, but I wouldn't mind seeing them build something that's NOT DVC on the monorail line around the lake. There were three other hotels planned, I believe, but the only theme I can remember is "Venetian". That land looks abandoned. I guess you could say that it's "natural" or "undeveloped wetland".

I never went to River Country, but looking at it on Google Earth makes me sad. Not sure what they should do with it, though, as they have the water parks. I also find Discovery Island fascinating, but i'm not sure what you could do with that, either.

I know that Journey into Imagination still inhabits the building, but I would love to see the exit revamped, and reopen the floor above it with exhibits/attractions.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    - Japan, I'm not so sure about. I have never heard anything about any ride, other than some "blue sky" (ideas) stuff thrown around...
    I don't think a show building for the ride was ever built; but, I'm not sure what the building is at the back of the pavilion shown in the link above. I know at least the middle third of that building between the front (labeled as "restaurant/bar") and the larger, rear part, is part of the Mitsukoshi department store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spence
    Today, the Japan Pavilion castle houses a Kidcot station, a museum, and a portion of the Mitsukoshi Department store, but that wasn’t the original idea for this structure. Early plans called for the castle to be an entryway into an attraction to be titled “The Winds of Change” and later changed to “Meet the World.” Consideration was so positive that the show building to house the attraction was built behind the shopping area we now enjoy.

“Meet the World” was a four-act show in the spirit of “Carousel of Progress.” However, the arrangement of the stages and seating area would be reversed. For “Meet the World,” the audience would sit in the middle of the building on a rotating turntable and face outwards toward stationary stages. This is just the opposite of “Carousel of Progress” which has the audience sitting on the outside looking in. Although the seating area would be smaller for “Meet the World,” the stages would be larger with this reversed arrangement, adding more flexibility for the presentations.
    I don't know the accuracy, personally, but that's my source.
    Last edited by VWL Mom; 06-06-2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: outside link removed TOS

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone elaborate more regarding fort wilderness railroad? never heard about that before.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree !!

For the new price at 100 bucks a ticket there shoudl be know areas sitting idle. As much as we love the place they are getting carried away from the entrance to the food. Now even parking went up. And please stop with the meet and greets I know there are young ones there but we skip entire sections of the park now because that is all they are. Sorry for the rant just hate seeing price increases and nothing for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
    Can anyone elaborate more regarding fort wilderness railroad? never heard about that before.
    HERE ya go.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: