Quantcast Main Street USA to Receive Concrete Replacement - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm fence sitting on this one. Yes I see the point that removing the curbs would ruin authenticity and the responsibility people should have for themselves BUT conversely, with hubby in wheelchair we had trouble finding a spot to get on/off pavement that wasn't clogged with people! Perhaps more ramps or make existing ramps bigger but not remove curbs completely would be good. However, I understand its all rumours so far so lets see what happens

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    What? . . . slanted sidewalks? They didn't have those in Marceline. I can't believe how much more they are getting away from Walt's idea of his home-town "turn of the century" Main St. Heck they probably didn't even have paved streets back then. I think they should go back to a dirt street and wooden sidewalks, then we'd have some real authenticity. First, a Starbucks, and now this. Bah! Humbug!
    Yeah! lets hear it for authenticity, can't wait to drive my EVC over those wooden sidewalks!
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

What? . . . slanted sidewalks? They didn't have those in Marceline. I can't believe how much more they are getting away from Walt's idea of his home-town "turn of the century" Main St. Heck they probably didn't even have paved streets back then. I think they should go back to a dirt street and wooden sidewalks, then we'd have some real authenticity. First, a Starbucks, and now this. Bah! Humbug!
    Paved streets in one form or another have been around since the 1800's. Brick was also a common paving material for roads back in the day.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Brick all the way down would actually look pretty amazing I think! Though it may not hold up under the huge crowds for long!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Paved streets in one form or another have been around since the 1800's. Brick was also a common paving material for roads back in the day.
    True, but I bet the streets in Marceline, Missouri weren't paved in 1900. It wasn't exactly New York or Chicago, or even St. Louis. At any rate, I was only making a joke about the fervent WDW purists complaining about the conversion of the Main Street Bakery into a location that sold Starbucks coffee. No Starbucks in Marceline, either, you know.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

True, but I bet the streets in Marceline, Missouri weren't paved in 1900. It wasn't exactly New York or Chicago, or even St. Louis. At any rate, I was only making a joke about the fervent WDW purists complaining about the conversion of the Main Street Bakery into a location that sold Starbucks coffee. No Starbucks in Marceline, either, you know.
    Also don't forget the store front windows wouldn't be that low in Marceline to accommodate kids.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

So is this just a rumour or what? No construction going on so far?....
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeys_princess_mom View Post
    So is this just a rumour or what? No construction going on so far?....
    There is construction to replace the concrete on Main Street and it should have already started. The rumor part is about the curbs going away.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    There is construction to replace the concrete on Main Street and it should have already started. The rumor part is about the curbs going away.
    Gotcha.
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Paved streets in one form or another have been around since the 1800's.
    The ancient Roman Empire had paved roads. You can see them in Spaceship Earth. :wink:
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too Much

Change is part of Disney World. I believe that if Walt were still alive today, Disney purists heads wouls spin at the rate at which things would change at Disney World. So they change the structure of main street once every 40 years or so. Get over it. That being said, if more people would walk instead of riding the scooters (being obese is NOT a handicap) and if people didn't need those gigantic strollers, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    Annual Passholders for:

Walt Disney World
    Univeral Orlando
    Sea World
    Busch Gardens

Nothing beats living in Central Florida!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronandjulie View Post
    Change is part of Disney World. I believe that if Walt were still alive today, Disney purists heads wouls spin at the rate at which things would change at Disney World. So they change the structure of main street once every 40 years or so. Get over it. That being said, if more people would walk instead of riding the scooters (being obese is NOT a handicap) and if people didn't need those gigantic strollers, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    You don't know me.
    But I gained weight after I couldn't breath and would have coughing fits every time I went up the stairs to my 3rd floor apt. I have pulmonary fibrosis which the doctors didn't figure out until it was pretty well progressed. There is no treatment except lung transplant which really isn't a good solution. So I choose to do what I can while I can. I still walk my dogs 3/4 times a day, do all of my own house work, shopping and so on. Most people with my illness only live 5 years after being diagnosed that was 4 years ago for me and I'm still here. Since I can only walk short distance before my oxygen levels drop and must be on oxygen 24/7 I will be riding a scooter at WDW. I plan on enjoying myself and doing as much as I can on my vacation and if you don't like how I look on a scooter to bad. Just count of the fact that I will never be rude to you or look down on you after all if we ever meet I'll be on vacation.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

.....I look at this proposed change from the viewpoint of a civil engineer's eye ...because I do stuff like this every day.

.....personally ...I see some potential problems with removing the full height (6" to 7" reveal) curb and replacing it with 'flush' curbs.

......although it provides for a zero barrier with regards to ADA compliance ....it also provides for zero protection to the pedestrians on the sidewalk from vehicles. Of course, most will say, "It's WDW ....what vehicles"? But ....there ARE parades ...there ARE vehicles that use the Main Street road during those parades ...and although people will argue that they are 'only' parade floats ....stranger things have occurred. If ADA compliance was the reason for the proposed change ...then the easiest, most reasonable "fix" would be to install ADA compliant sidewalk ramps at more frequent intervals (perhaps every 30' feet)....and there is no need to replace all the sidewalks. Also ...if there is a zero height curb ...then a detectable warning surface strip must be installed at the sidewalk transition to the pavement (those are those bright red or yellow truncated dome surface finishes that there for the visually impaired )

....secondly ...at the moment ...the sidewalks that exist have a cross-slope on them (sloped toward the street from the storefronts) ...of probably 1% to 2%. If you remove the 6" - 7" high curb ...then the sidewalk will then slope from the storefront to what was the bottom of the previous curb. the resulting x-slope could be increased to 3% to 5% (the max allowable x-slope in many municipalities) ...and walking longitudinally on a surface with a +3% x-slope is somewhat uncomfortable ...and 5% x-slopes present a "tipping" hazard to those in wheelchairs.

....thirdly ....curbs help control storm runoff from the street surface ...and keep it in the street. I have been on Main Street in WDW during some pretty intense downpours ...and the water builds up quickly at the curbs. If the curb no longer exists ....then water will 'creep" up the sidewalk during heavy rainfall events.

...it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out ...and I really hope it doesn't affect the visually reality of the Main Street design.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
    .....I look at this proposed change from the viewpoint of a civil engineer's eye ...because I do stuff like this every day.

.....personally ...I see some potential problems with removing the full height (6" to 7" reveal) curb and replacing it with 'flush' curbs.

......although it provides for a zero barrier with regards to ADA compliance ....it also provides for zero protection to the pedestrians on the sidewalk from vehicles. Of course, most will say, "It's WDW ....what vehicles"? But ....there ARE parades ...there ARE vehicles that use the Main Street road during those parades ...and although people will argue that they are 'only' parade floats ....stranger things have occurred. If ADA compliance was the reason for the proposed change ...then the easiest, most reasonable "fix" would be to install ADA compliant sidewalk ramps at more frequent intervals (perhaps every 30' feet)....and there is no need to replace all the sidewalks. Also ...if there is a zero height curb ...then a detectable warning surface strip must be installed at the sidewalk transition to the pavement (those are those bright red or yellow truncated dome surface finishes that there for the visually impaired )

....secondly ...at the moment ...the sidewalks that exist have a cross-slope on them (sloped toward the street from the storefronts) ...of probably 1% to 2%. If you remove the 6" - 7" high curb ...then the sidewalk will then slope from the storefront to what was the bottom of the previous curb. the resulting x-slope could be increased to 3% to 5% (the max allowable x-slope in many municipalities) ...and walking longitudinally on a surface with a +3% x-slope is somewhat uncomfortable ...and 5% x-slopes present a "tipping" hazard to those in wheelchairs.

....thirdly ....curbs help control storm runoff from the street surface ...and keep it in the street. I have been on Main Street in WDW during some pretty intense downpours ...and the water builds up quickly at the curbs. If the curb no longer exists ....then water will 'creep" up the sidewalk during heavy rainfall events.

...it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out ...and I really hope it doesn't affect the visually reality of the Main Street design.
    JerseyDad, thank you for your post. It made me smile as my late father was a civil engineer in NJ (and Florida before that). He probably would have said many of the same things as you. I agree, I think adding additional ramps without totally removing all the curbs would be the best option. It would be a nice compromise.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice insight Jersey, thanks.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, definitely some great points there! I definitely thought about the parade vehicle aspect, but not the storm runoff.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. Whatever they are doing, I'm sure it was not done on a whim.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

.....wow ...glad some of my input / insight is appreciated!! My wife .....usually just tells me to stop complaining!!

.....I guess all those college loans were worth it!!
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Even *with* the curbs, I have *personally* witnessed parade floats climbing the curb after missing a turn at the Confectionery/Emporium turn.

It had started *pouring* down rain one afternoon (big surprise...LOL) halfway through the parade. When they started getting to about Casey's (coming from Liberty Square/Frontierland), the streets started flooding. We had to clear guests out of the streets as they scrambled to get indoors, and especially out of that little area at the "tip" of Town Square. We got them (the guests) out, took down our ropes and stanchions, and here comes the parade floats *haulin' the mail* down the street. The first float - the Mickey snowglobe - was going too fast, couldn't make the turn, and slid up right on up the curb at that "tip". Good thing we cleared it out.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    Even *with* the curbs, I have *personally* witnessed parade floats climbing the curb after missing a turn at the Confectionery/Emporium turn.

It had started *pouring* down rain one afternoon (big surprise...LOL) halfway through the parade. When they started getting to about Casey's (coming from Liberty Square/Frontierland), the streets started flooding. We had to clear guests out of the streets as they scrambled to get indoors, and especially out of that little area at the "tip" of Town Square. We got them (the guests) out, took down our ropes and stanchions, and here comes the parade floats *haulin' the mail* down the street. The first float - the Mickey snowglobe - was going too fast, couldn't make the turn, and slid up right on up the curb at that "tip". Good thing we cleared it out.
    ....it sounds like there was a pedestrian ramp there that allowed the float to slide up the 'curb"?

....I can definitely see that happening even with full height curbs. Heck ...cars ...trucks ...buses jump curbs all the time ...even at slow speeds. So, many people will ask the question: "Why have the curbs at all"? (outside of WDW ...in the 'real' world ...for example.).

....well ....liability plays a large part of it. A curb gives the pedestrian ...or property owner ..."a chance" of being protected. That's it ....that's all you need to do. A curb has "a chance" of deflecting an out of control vehicle just enough to slow it / deflect it ...and possibly protect the public,or private property from damage. You cannot design for all possible scanrios to protect life & property ...all you can do is "try" ....and that's what you need to do in order to avoid losing a lawsuit that you may get dragged into because of an accident.

....just some added info that you may find interesting: When I have designed site's for shopping centers / retail / residential developments ...sometimes we need to install a "guard-rail" (those steel beam barriers you see on the roads, etc). Well ....I NEVER label them as "guard-rails" ...because if a car crashes through one ...and injures (or kills) someone ...or damages property on the other side ...I'll be sitting in court ...and a lawyer will say to me, "You called it a guard-rail" .....I guess you didn't design it properly ...because it didn't guard anything ...and my client is injured / dead / had house destroyed"...etc.

....therefore I always label them as "GUIDE-RAILS" ....with the intent to deflect a vehicle ...and giving no promise of GUARDING anything. Because of that ONE WORD change ....I'd have a better chance of not losing my livelihood.

.....sorry if that was a bit off topic ...but it popped into my head as I read the post.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

With all this speculation could it just be a basic project to fix a leaky roof? The park is on the second level. Like a parking deck it may be time to rehab some of the concrete.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: