Quantcast New Fanatasyland not so Fantastic - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    We thought New Fantasyland was a huge disappointment as well. The outside looks good but the Ariel ride was a huge let down. It is just another one of those with the boring video screens. If you have ridden Nemo, you have pretty much ridden Arial, neither of which ever have a line.
    You must have ridden a ride that doesnt exist.
    The "Ariel" ride...Under the sea...uses over 100 animatronics. It has no comparison to memo. Heck...I like nemo!! But, this one is 110% different experience.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSad View Post
    I find the New Fantasyland a great addition for the kids. Remember this is for the kids at heart. I was there opening day back in December. It was packed. When the mine ride opens next spring it will be even better...
    Agreed, Disney hit a home run with the new Fantasyland!! for sure. Im very looking forward to the new mine ride!
    Folks that "debbie downer" on Fantasyland..forget it wasn't supposed to be about a ton of new rides...It is about theming and making room. It accomplished that and more. When The mine ride does open and it is actual finished....What a great land it will be.
    The Little Mermaid attraction has had VERY VERY high approval marks. WDW Today podcast was talking about how it is already becoming a classic like Peter Pan...and it hasnt been open a year!

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest problem with New Fantasyland is how Disney advertised it. From the moment the project was announced, the company hyped it as "the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history." By sheer acreage, I suppose that is true. But in terms of added content for guests, it hardly registers.

To me, New Fantasyland is essentially a Magic Kingdom beautification project. It's beautiful and wonderfully designed. The Imagineers did a fantastic job with the setting, with the exteriors, with the overall aesthetics.

Yet there is virtually no substance, which has made it a massive disappointment to a large portion of guests. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will help the situation somewhat, but a D-ticket family coaster with limited show scenes isn't going to fix everything.

At this point in my Disney fan life, I have come what New Fantasyland offers. I enjoy walking around the area, especially during the rare times of the day when it isn't inundated with people. I particularly love the job the Imagineers did with the updated train station in Storybook Circus.

Most people, though, visit Walt Disney World for rides. In that regard -- and it is a major regard -- New Fantasyland is a failure. I understand why that would be hard for many to stomach: As the park down Interstate 4 continues to churn out groundbreaking attractions every six months, Disney hasn't produced a legitimate E-ticket since 1994.

New Fantasyland is a perfect reflection of Disney's changing priorities. It isn't about attractions anymore, at least right now. Magic Kingdom needed to add capacity. Now there is more room for people to stand.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    The biggest problem with New Fantasyland is how Disney advertised it. From the moment the project was announced, the company hyped it as "the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history." By sheer acreage, I suppose that is true. But in terms of added content for guests, it hardly registers.

To me, New Fantasyland is essentially a Magic Kingdom beautification project. It's beautiful and wonderfully designed. The Imagineers did a fantastic job with the setting, with the exteriors, with the overall aesthetics.

Yet there is virtually no substance, which has made it a massive disappointment to a large portion of guests. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will help the situation somewhat, but a D-ticket family coaster with limited show scenes isn't going to fix everything.

At this point in my Disney fan life, I have come what New Fantasyland offers. I enjoy walking around the area, especially during the rare times of the day when it isn't inundated with people. I particularly love the job the Imagineers did with the updated train station in Storybook Circus.

Most people, though, visit Walt Disney World for rides. In that regard -- and it is a major regard -- New Fantasyland is a failure. I understand why that would be hard for many to stomach: As the park down Interstate 4 continues to churn out groundbreaking attractions every six months, Disney hasn't produced a legitimate E-ticket since 1994.

New Fantasyland is a perfect reflection of Disney's changing priorities. It isn't about attractions anymore, at least right now. Magic Kingdom needed to add capacity. Now there is more room for people to stand.
    Got to disagree,,,ITS ALL substance. If it wasn't..it would ONLY be rides. Once the mine ride opens..it will be only better.
    As for Universal...I dont compare Disney to them. Different experience all together...Its like comparing a Subaru to a Boeing 777. Not even the same paradigm. Universal has been and always will be 2nd fiddle to Disney. That wont ever change..But, its not an issue anyways. Different beasts as i stated.
    E.E. was built in 2006 i believe. Its more than an E ticket. attraction. I wanted to add that. Tower of Terror was 1994..
    But the new Fantasyland was what parents wanted. MORE room to be with smaller kids.
    Disney did exactly that. A home run!!
    it doesn't matter to me how fast Disney churns out rides...Totally, irrelevant.
    We all have our opinions...But i Loved the new Fantasyland...and heck ima 43 male father of 2!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Opus X View Post
    Universal has been and always will be 2nd fiddle to Disney. That wont ever change.
    There are plenty of Disney executives who feel this way. Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer guests who agree with them.

Has Universal reached Disney in terms of overall quality? No, not yet. It might not even be as close as some Disney fans like to believe.

But the fact remains that The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man opened in 1999. Disney has yet to do anything of that quality, both technologically and aesthetically.

\E.E. was built in 2006 i believe. Its more than an E ticket. attraction. I wanted to add that. Tower of Terror was 1994..
    With a functioning yeti, I'd agree that Expedition Everest is a legitimate E-ticket. It's a phenomenal attraction.

But how can you call a ride an E-ticket when its primary show scene is nonexistent?

Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    There are plenty of Disney executives who feel this way. Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer guests who agree with them.

Has Universal reached Disney in terms of overall quality? No, not yet. It might not even be as close as some Disney fans like to believe.

But the fact remains that The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man opened in 1999. Disney has yet to do anything of that quality, both technologically and aesthetically.

With a functioning yeti, I'd agree that Expedition Everest is a legitimate E-ticket. It's a phenomenal attraction.

But how can you call a ride an E-ticket when its primary show scene is nonexistent?
    M.K. attendence incresases every year..so most guests DO agree with those executives..
    99.9% of folks wouldnt notice if the Yeti was moving or not...
    And again, You compare alot of Universal attractions to WDW/DLR. They are not in the same situation. VERY VERY few people do both places during a visit. Its like either you are an Elvis fan or Beetles fan.
    WDW has a whole different fan base and both are irrelevant of each other.
    17.5 million visitors appox to M.K. ALONE in 2012.
    12 million to BOTH Islands of Adventure and Universal orlando combined.
    But over 75% of that is folks that don't do both places. Disney and Universal. They choose one.
    Screamscape provided that info..
    My point is. You compare Universal to WDW...I don't.
    I could care less what they have or don't.
    But...hey, thats what these boards are for.
    Different opinions

Post Thanks / Like

New Fantasyland is very pretty to look at. There is not much there though. The Little Mermaid ride is one of those sit and relax rides. Did anyone notice as you enter the largest room of the ride that Ariel's support arm is WAY TOO Noticeable! Oh, at the D-23 Expo Joe Rohde said the" Yeti would be fixed." He then said that they would," try to fix the Yeti."
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

so disagree with you, Jared . EE in Animal Kingdom, TSM in HS and Soarin at EPCOT are most definitely E ticket rides.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jillluvsdisney View Post
    so disagree with you, Jared . EE in Animal Kingdom, TSM in HS and Soarin at EPCOT are most definitely E ticket rides.
    Man, you guys are generous!

I agree that Expedition Everest with a functioning yeti is an E-Ticket. With the yeti out of commission, I don't think it warrants that distinction.

As for Soarin' and Toy Story Mania, I love both of those rides. Tons of fun. Among my favorites in their respective parks. But in terms of scope and ambition, I think they're both lacking.

Post Thanks / Like

I really think it all depends on the age of the children your there with...if your even there with kids that is. We went to MK with our 3 yr old grand-daughter and 75% of our day was spent in fantasyland...lovvvved it
    Offsite 94
    Offiste 2001
    Offsite 2004
    AMO 2007
    POP April 2009 Oh yeah!!!
    AOA March 2013
    Pop 2015
    AK-Kidani 2016
    Beach Club 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Disney is generally for families. Universal is generally for a younger thrill seeking audience.

As fantastic as spiderman is. It doesn't appeal to people that don't like to be spun and thrown around the vehicle. It is quite rough in some sections. A technical marvel yes. But not in the same league as disney. The finish and detailing on disney rides is second to none.

My 2 pence worth....

Post Thanks / Like

You must have ridden a ride that doesnt exist.
    The "Ariel" ride...Under the sea...uses over 100 animatronics. It has no comparison to memo. Heck...I like nemo!! But, this one is 110% different experience.
    Even my 11 year old daughter and 12 year old son said they felt like they had ridden it before although it was a brand new ride. The whole feel of the ride is very similar to nemo. It obviously isn't being received very well, July 5 on the busy July 4 holiday week; we could walk right on the ride at 2:00 PM. We expected there to be a line with it being a brand new ride and a very busy week. We checked the wait times throughout the day for Magic Kingdom and never saw Under the Sea with much of a wait time.

Nemo stinks and I have never seen a wait time. The few times we have ridden it, we walked right on without ever stopping. With the poor attendance, I will be surprised if it doesn't get redone or replaced within the next 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to suggest you guys read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_ticket

Then come back with what you think is a E Ticket ride.

New Fantasyland is perfect for what it is. An expansion of Dinsey's lovable characters from many movies that didn't have a place in the parks yet. My 16 month olds loved that area (especially the Casey Jr. water area). Once Snow White opens, it'll really be a shining spot in the park again. I think we spent 80% of our time there this year, and we used to breeze through it.
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mcjaco View Post
    I'm going to suggest you guys read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_ticket

Then come back with what you think is a E Ticket ride.

New Fantasyland is perfect for what it is. An expansion of Dinsey's lovable characters from many movies that didn't have a place in the parks yet. My 16 month olds loved that area (especially the Casey Jr. water area). Once Snow White opens, it'll really be a shining spot in the park again. I think we spent 80% of our time there this year, and we used to breeze through it.
    Yep...The KIDS love it!! Agreed 100%
    Debbie downers....Will come around...The new Fantasyland....IS great!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Comparisons...

Well, I haven't been to WDW since 2009. Last year we went to DLR, so I am familiar with the LM dark ride. It was OK, and much in keeping with what I would expect from a Disney park that caters to children who's age demographic includes those familiar with the movie.

This year we did US/IOA with an onsite stay. And yes, even though I am an avid Disney fan, I was impressed with what we saw there at Universal. We liked the Unlimited Express Pass that was a perk for those staying at one of the onsite hotels. It made it very easy to see almost everything in a day, even though we had five days and four nights there.

Universal theming is very good. I would say that in percentage comparison, they are at 90% of any Disney park we have been to. But, to compare the number of rides/attractions they have added recently might not be fair. If you look at their most recent additions, they rely heavily on motion-simulators. Those don't agree very well with my stomach. Every day I had to take a dose of Meclazine HCL (generic Bonine) just to make it through the rides. Even with that, by the end of the Forbidden Journey ride I had to close my eyes. Thankfully, the scenes alternated between the motion simulator screens and actual sets. My first observation of the two parks was that it just wasn't really designed for families with toddlers. Aside from the Dr. Seuss area, there just wasn't much more for them.

Disney should keep an eye on their competition though, with the exception of landscaping, parades, and shows - Universal is really catching up! Oh, they also really need some type of reasonable meal plan. The one we used wasn't that great - limited choices, fast food only. I guess the same applies for DLR - they really don't have a dining plan either.

Best ride at Universal is a tossup between Hulk and Hollywood Rip-Ride Rockets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
    Best ride at Universal is a tossup between Hulk and Hollywood Rip-Ride Rockets.
    And I'd choose Mummy and Spiderman, and put them against any Disney attraction.

Post Thanks / Like

We had mixed feelings over Ariel. It reminded me too much of the Nemo ride in Epcot. We really liked the new Dumbo, especially in the dark. The new themeing and lighting were very well done. I never thought Fantasyland was supposed to be a place for thrill rides, it's a place for families!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mummy?... Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    And I'd choose Mummy and Spiderman, and put them against any Disney attraction.
    Oh yeah, we really enjoyed The Mummy too, but it reminded me of another ride (Indiana Jones) which I would consider its equal.

Spider man? The constant "thrumming" of the S.C.O.O.P.'s engine was a detraction, and then again, those sections of motion simulation left me a little queasy - especially the final drop where you are stopped before hitting the street.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
    Oh yeah, we really enjoyed The Mummy too, but it reminded me of another ride (Indiana Jones) which I would consider its equal.

Spider man? The constant "thrumming" of the S.C.O.O.P.'s engine was a detraction, and then again, those sections of motion simulation left me a little queasy - especially the final drop where you are stopped before hitting the street.
    You are obviously more of a classic roller coaster aficionado! I love the Hulk at Universal, but it's a bit dated. And Rip-Ride Rockit is definitely a head rush--almost too much so for me. But love the total immersion of Spider-Man and Mummy isn't too far behind. Great rides at Universal!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say it was a complete disappointment for me as you can tell since I've been waiting 16 years for some sort of Ariel ride. However, I am disappointed with the size. I thought it would be much bigger. I understand that some of it is closed off due to he construction on the Mine Train ride but still it's like one small strip of nothing really but the ariel ride.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: