Quantcast Vin Scully to return for his 65th season with the Dodgers

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vin Scully to return for his 65th season with the Dodgers

LOS ANGELES -- As Vin Scully walked into the interview room adjacent to the Los Angeles Dodgers' clubhouse Friday afternoon, he smiled as he looked at the standing-room crowd of media that had assembled to hear him speak.

Earlier in the day, the Dodgers announced Scully would be returning to the booth for an unprecedented 65th season in 2014. If it were up to Scully, that would be the extent of the announcement.

"The Dodgers were the ones who felt it was the right time," Scully said. "As far as I was concerned, as God is my judge, it could have been one line in the notes sheet tonight. I didn't want any big deal. I certainly didn't care for a press conference. I had nothing to say except for the fact that I'm lucky enough and hopefully healthy enough to come back next year."

The overwhelmingly humble Scully smiled as he answered questions for nearly 30 minutes from a dais normally reserved for players and managers.

"I can tell you from the bottom of my heart that I have always felt that I am the most ordinary of men who was given an extraordinary break of doing what I love to do at a very early age," Scully said. "Thanks to God, I've been allowed to do it for all these years and I pray that I'll be allowed to do it for one more year. I don't take any of it for granted. I know this miracle in my life was given to me and I can lose it in 30 seconds. I can lose it between the time I leave here and go to the booth. I don't take it for granted in any way, shape or form."

There were many reasons why Scully decided to return, but he said some of the main reasons had little to do with the game -- it was more about the relationships he had formed over the years at Dodger Stadium. He singled out Marie Meza, who always greets Scully in the elevator up to the press box, and press box attendants Robert Allen and James Mims, who are the first faces he sees when he walks into the Vin Scully Press Box before every game.

"The thought of just suddenly walking away from all those friends and this great game and this very exciting team and this fandom that is so thrilled with what is going on, I said there's just no way," Scully said. "It wouldn't be just walking away from the game. It would be walking away from all the people in the ballpark. With all the high-tech equipment we have this is still a people business and I really truly look forward to seeing the people every single day."

Scully said the Dodgers' historic summer, which saw them recently win 42 of 50 games for the first time in team history, made his decision to return a little easier.

"It became so exciting again and so much fun," Scully said. "I don't really know how I would have felt if they stayed in last place, X number of games behind with 30-some-odd games left. I probably would have come back anyway because I love it so much, but it made it pretty easy. I get goose bumps. I'm the same as anyone in the stands still. That's always been the barometer for me as to where I am. If I truly get honestly excited and as long as I feel the emotion, I think I should be here. The day that something great happens and I have a ho-hum attitude to it, I should hang it up for sure."

Scully doesn't normally get emotional when he's in the booth. He has, after all, seen it all. He has called three perfect games, 25 no-hitters, 25 World Series and 12 All-Star games. He was there for Kirk Gibson's Game 1 home run in the 1988 World Series, Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series, Hank Aaron's record-setting 715th home run, Sandy Koufax's four no-hitters, including a perfect game, and the scoreless-innings streaks of Dodgers pitchers Don Drysdale and Orel Hershiser. Scully, however, was nearly moved to tears when the Dodgers honored him last month for his bobblehead night.

"They played that little tribute on the screen and the ovation was overwhelming," Scully said. "I was as close to crying as I've been in a long, long time. It's hard to explain because I'm just so blessed to be doing what I love to do and to have people tell me how much they enjoy me doing it, I'm just full of thanks. I'm a walking Thanksgiving dinner. God has been overwhelmingly kind to me. I don't know why. I haven't done anything to merit all of this."

Scully, 85, says he now approaches every season as if it could be his last because it easily could as he makes his decision of whether to return on a year-to-year basis.

"I think every year now, I start the year thinking I want to do the best I can and maybe this will be the last one," Scully said. "The thing that bothers me the most would be health, which you have no control of."

Scully was humble as he spoke of his place in Dodgers history and what he has meant to the franchise. Scully began his professional baseball broadcasting career in 1950 with the Brooklyn Dodgers and was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1982.

"My career is one of talking about the accomplishments of others," Scully said. "I haven't accomplished anything. I can't walk out and say I had four no-hitters. No, I happened to watch Sandy Koufax pitch four. It's always made me uncomfortable. To take a bow is almost scary I guess."

As modest as Scully is, there is no denying his unmatched ability to tell a story in the broadcast booth, effortlessly weaving tales of the past with current stories about players on the field. It's actually a process that requires hours of preparation that Scully undertakes before every game.

"It was the reason I studied as a little kid in grammar school, I was afraid of the punishment if I messed up and I was afraid to look like a horse's fanny if I didn't know what I was supposed to know," Scully said. "That's why I prepare, out of fear, trying to do a better job. You go on every night saying I hope I can do a good job. Some days it works better than others.

"I do the best I can. Some days are OK and some days I get in the car and think, 'You stink.'"
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I grew up listening to Vin Scully and I can't imagine listening to a Dodger game with any other announcer. It would seem unnatural. Obviously that day will be coming soon. But until then, congratulations and thank you Vin Scully.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't heard Vin Scully do a game in many, many years. If he's still got it, great! I just hope he doesn't hang on if he begins to slow down. Saw that happen to Ralph Kiner and it was kinda sad.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I haven't heard Vin Scully do a game in many, many years. If he's still got it, great! I just hope he doesn't hang on if he begins to slow down. Saw that happen to Ralph Kiner and it was kinda sad.
    I don't get to hear him as much anymore since I chose not to purchase the Extra Innings package this year, but he was great last year and still sounded as good as ever to me, and I'm not a Dodgers fan. I'm hoping I get to hear him call a game this year if MLB Network carries a Dodger game.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Listening to him tonight for Cubs/Dodgers on Gameday Audio. Not missing a beat so far.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

XM radio has its perks. I was able to listen to the Dodgers broadcast of game 5 of the NLCS. The one thing I realized after an inning was that Vin Scully is the play by play AND color commentator while he is on the radio! There is no dead air and everything he said fit into the scope of the game. The picture he painted was very vivid. My son was with me and he was amazed at the job he did. Congrats to you Mr. Scully, I truly look forward to hearing your voice again next year.
    WDW '71-'81(numerous)
    Yearly '98 - '08
    Last Trip July 2014

Next Trip ???
    Keep to the code... If you fall behind, you get left behind.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: