Quantcast Scooters/wheelchairs at universal

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scooters/wheelchairs at universal

From my research it doesn't seem as if Universal is very friendly toward scooters/wheelchairs. On our next trip we will have one of each, I would like to hear from those who done universal with either or both. I understand at some rides they have those on scooters switch to a wheelchair. How does that work? What kind of problems did you have and how did you over come them? TIA. We are really trying to figure out if we should skip Universal.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

From Universal's website:

For your enjoyment and convenience, Universal Orlando's shopping and dining facilities are wheelchair accessible. Also, our outdoor stage shows have areas reserved for guests with disabilities. These areas are clearly marked with the International Symbol of Accessibility.

In addition, all the queues are accessible to guests using wheelchairs (with the exception of Pteranodon Flyers® at Universal's Islands of Adventure). There are specific boarding requirements and accommodations for those using wheelchairs at each attraction. In all cases, if you are capable of transferring to the ride vehicle's seating (either by yourself or with the assistance of another person in your party), you may transfer.

Additionally, certain attractions are capable of allowing guests to remain in their standard wheelchair throughout. For a list of all attractions and their specific requirements and accommodations, please consult Universal Orlando's Rider's Guide for Rider Safety and Guests with Disabilities.

NOTE: We apologize, but due to their dramatic motion, none of the ride vehicles at Universal Orlando will accommodate Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECV's) or electric wheelchairs. At those rides which can accommodate standard wheelchairs, guests may transfer from their ECV or electric wheelchair into a standard wheelchair, which can be provided at each location
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

thttps://www.universalorlando.com/Images/Riders_Guide_tcm13-26195.pdf

Follow this Universal link and it gives ride by ride info.

In a nutshell EVC's are not allowed on any rides or in any lines. Guests can transfer into manual wheelchairs at each ride and Universal provides the manual chairs.

Please remember the Universal staff will not physically help with the transfer, someone in your party must help the person in the wheelchair transfer.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

It does look like EVC's are allowed in shows.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

So I would have to get off my scooter and walk the line? I guess this would be okay if I got a front of the line pass. But that would mean leaving my scooter outside and I wouldn't be able to leave my oxygen with it. Like I thought not scooter friendly

Post Thanks / Like

We had planned to spend a day at Universal on our last trip, but when DD ended up being in a wheelchair we skipped it.

We did still head to City Walk, and even that wasn't as accessible as we'd hoped. I'm sure it would be fine, but we just avoided the whole possible hassle.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bus Driver View Post
    So I would have to get off my scooter and walk the line? I guess this would be okay if I got a front of the line pass. But that would mean leaving my scooter outside and I wouldn't be able to leave my oxygen with it. Like I thought not scooter friendly
    No, that's not what is says. It says that you would have to get out of the scooter and onto a manual wheelchair that they provide. If you go to the link that I provided you can see what restrictions there are for bringing oxygen onto the rides. The link provides pages worth of info and goes through each attraction and gives you their specific restrictions. If that doesn't give you all the info you need I would suggest to call Universal directly. They deal with this on a daily basis and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

On a side note: Each October that we have visited Universal they have had what looks like to me to be handicap schools there. The kids are all in line in wheelchairs together and I have seen them on most rides.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

DW and I are both ECV users, and both Pooh sized. We went to their Halloween party last year and were denied access to most attractions because they did not have large WCs to transfer to.
    We own our own ECVs but one trip, I rented one. At the end of the day, I was too exhausted to do the walk back to the parking lot.
    No more Universal for us.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PETE FROM NYC View Post
    DW and I are both ECV users, and both Pooh sized. We went to their Halloween party last year and were denied access to most attractions because they did not have large WCs to transfer to.
    We own our own ECVs but one trip, I rented one. At the end of the day, I was too exhausted to do the walk back to the parking lot.
    No more Universal for us.

Comparing the regular Universal Theme Park experience and Halloween Horror Nights are two completely different things. From everything I have read and personally have seen, the Universal Theme Parks work with people in wheelchairs to give them the best experience possible.

Now the Halloween Party is altogether different. I can see where it could be a challenge to a person in a wheelchair. Just the pure nature of the beast, you are walking through houses with tight spaces and almost completely dark. Not sure if I would do the Haunted Houses if I couldn't walk through them either.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to thank you for all your help, but let me explain the issue is not wheelchair access it's scooter access. If I must transfer to a wheelchair to go through the line then I can't do it. In our party there are 3 people, 1 in a chair 1 pushing the chair and me on a scooter. If I must wheel myself through the line my oxygen levels will drop, even with my support oxygen. Mind you I can get up and get on the ride. I can ride without my oxygen because I won't be walking or pushing myself in a chair. But I can't get to the ride because I must switch to a chair and push myself. There for I am denied access. So I won't be going to Universal.

Post Thanks / Like

I followed the link you provided this is from their PDF
    We apologize, but none of the ride vehicles or attraction queues at Universal
    Orlando will accommodate Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECV’s) or electric
    wheelchairs. At those rides which can accommodate manual wheelchairs, guests
    may transfer from their ECV or electric wheelchair into a manual wheelchair that
    is provided at each location

For those of us who must use a scooter OH Well better luck next time.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW just makes me appreciate WDW more I can go through most lines and if I can't go through the line there is another way to get there. Thank you WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Okay this bothers me so decided to be proactive and contact Universal. Will let you know what they say.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I'd love to hear what they say. It is funny how we all get so comfortable with Disney, and the way they do things.

I'm sure they have it all worked out, but it is always good to know the details before you're in the situation.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

If you won't have anyone to push you through the line, I can see why you will be skipping the trip to Universal. I don't blame you.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bus Driver View Post
    Okay this bothers me so decided to be proactive and contact Universal. Will let you know what they say.
    I, for one, will be very curious as to what Universal says.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: