Quantcast Monorails and resort boats

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Monorails and resort boats

I know stuff happens, but finding out about changes like this a week before you leave for a trip that you planned way back in March is disappointing.
    Several resort boats will have shortened schedules. The resorts affected are Old Key West, Port Orleans Riverside, Port Orleans French Quarter and Saratoga Springs. The boats will not be running during the following times:
    October 9: 4:35pm-6:45pm
    October 10-17: 10:00am-11:00am and 3:15pm-6:45pm
    October 18: 10:00am-11:00am and 3:15pm-closing
    October 19: 10:00am-5:30pm
    Also, the resort monorail will not be running from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. for two weeks starting on Oct. 6 because of construction at the Grand Floridian.

Yippee.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Shutting down the monorail due to construction is understandable.

Shortening the boat schedules and putting gaps in the middle of the day just to be greedy and save some money at the expense of customer service is, however; totally unacceptable. I would call and complain and would even consider cancelling and demanding a full refund. They have practically doubled the resort rates, cut services everywhere and now they are going to run the boats when they feel like it.....not good.

Post Thanks / Like

Not over reacting at all.
    If you don't make it to the world all that often, and have picked the resort where you want to stay, and Disney starts eliminated reasons why you picked that resort- then canceling is not over reacting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    If you don't make it to the world all that often, and have picked the resort where you want to stay, and Disney starts eliminated reasons why you picked that resort- then canceling is not over reacting.
    Well it is over reacting if its not due to saving money but more due to them fixing things like docks or boats
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    There isnt a person on earth that would cancel a trip to WDW because a boat wasnt running.
    Thats over reacting at its peak.
    In some places on this fine planet..just waking up the next day or being able to eat is a blessing.
    Sadly, some folks here in the good ole USA...find the must minimal things to complain about.
    We have it made...a boat not operating for a given time...NOT an issue. Not at all.

Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_redshirt View Post
    Well it is over reacting if its not due to saving money but more due to them fixing things like docks or boats
    And, that is 110% the reason.

Post Thanks / Like

The ferry schedule is being adjusted due to the Orlando International Dragon Boat Festival which will be taking place on the water. This event is run by the City of Orlando with the proceeds going to the fight against breast cancer.

ESPN WWOS The Orlando International Dragon Boat Festival is back for its 6th annual event hosted at Downtown Disney®!
    The world's fastest growing water sport is also the most exciting. Twenty paddlers move in unison, combining strength with teamwork in a boat whose elaborate design orginates in ancient China. It's all about teamwork with a maximum of 20 paddlers, including a steersperson (cox) and a drummer.
    While the ferry schedule is reduced, there will be extra buses running. IMO it might be a fun thing to go watch.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    The ferry schedule is being adjusted due to the Orlando International Dragon Boat Festival which will be taking place on the water. This event is run by the City of Orlando with the proceeds going to the fight against breast cancer.

While the ferry schedule is reduced, there will be extra buses running. IMO it might be a fun thing to go watch.
    Hmmm. So it's not maintenance? I have to admit I'd be upset if I were staying at one of those resorts. Like there's not enough going on at DTD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Opus X View Post
    And, that is 110% the reason.
    Wrong! The real reason has been posted. One of the reasons I select particular resorts is based on the boat ferry and/or monorail. The buses **** and I haven't used them in about 4 years. I would in fact cancel my reservation if, at the last minute; I found out some of the services I desired and am paying for were being taken away. I would probably reschedule at a later date, maybe the next week or when I could.

The point is, this had to be known, planned, and scheduled well in advance and WDW intentionally did not notify guests until the last minute because they knew many would avoid that week when making reservations or would change existing reservations. That is what would tick me off about the situation. The fact they are having a charity event is a good thing but as guests we should be aware of them and their impact on our vacation planning.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!
    It's disappointing, but not the end of the world.
    Susan A

Post Thanks / Like

I had never heard of the Orlando International Dragon Boat Festival until today. Disney made no mention of that in the release that I read about the resort boats.
    Is it going to be held in the area between DTD and the resorts (OKW, Saratoga, POFQ, POR) that the boats ferry between?
    My biggest point is that you have to plan so far in advance these days and Disney aggressively markets all of the advantages guests have when they stay onsite. Then, they change the rules on the fly and don't give people a whole lot of advance warning.
    My wife and I can survive without the all-day boats, but they were part of the package Disney said would be available to us when we made our travel plans back in March. I didn't pay Disney 92 percent of the money they charged me. I paid 100 percent and I should be getting everything that I paid for. Including normal resort boat service.
    If I was staying at one of the monorail resorts, I would be very upset. I would certainly ask for some kind of refund or a room upgrade.
    Also, how much construction is left at the new GF villas? Aren't they opening later this month?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epceddie View Post
    I had never heard of the Orlando International Dragon Boat Festival until today. Disney made no mention of that in the release that I read about the resort boats.
    Is it going to be held in the area between DTD and the resorts (OKW, Saratoga, POFQ, POR) that the boats ferry between?
    My biggest point is that you have to plan so far in advance these days and Disney aggressively markets all of the advantages guests have when they stay onsite. Then, they change the rules on the fly and don't give people a whole lot of advance warning.
    My wife and I can survive without the all-day boats, but they were part of the package Disney said would be available to us when we made our travel plans back in March. I didn't pay Disney 92 percent of the money they charged me. I paid 100 percent and I should be getting everything that I paid for. Including normal resort boat service.
    If I was staying at one of the monorail resorts, I would be very upset. I would certainly ask for some kind of refund or a room upgrade.
    Also, how much construction is left at the new GF villas? Aren't they opening later this month?
    while they are not advertised on the disney site the dragon boats are not a new thing... When i was there 2 years ago we just missed them by a day they are always around tho back then they didnt do anything about the boats and i think someone got capsized by the chop that the boats produce
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susan A View Post
    Wow!
    It's disappointing, but not the end of the world.
    Are you going to be at WDW when this is going on?

Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    Wrong! The real reason has been posted. One of the reasons I select particular resorts is based on the boat ferry and/or monorail. The buses **** and I haven't used them in about 4 years. I would in fact cancel my reservation if, at the last minute; I found out some of the services I desired and am paying for were being taken away. I would probably reschedule at a later date, maybe the next week or when I could.

The point is, this had to be known, planned, and scheduled well in advance and WDW intentionally did not notify guests until the last minute because they knew many would avoid that week when making reservations or would change existing reservations. That is what would tick me off about the situation. The fact they are having a charity event is a good thing but as guests we should be aware of them and their impact on our vacation planning.
    The monorail is for construction...the boats are for a fund raiser-for breast cancer.
    Which of course...no one would have an issue with.
    the boats not running is a non issue.
    After spending some time overseas...especially in Iraq, it makes one understand what is a non issue and not.
    Im sorry, the boat schedule just simply isnt ANYTHING to get riled up over.
    But, different strokes for different folks...if you would or want to be......go for it.
    But thats not a happy place to be.
    Of going to WDW/DLR more times than i can count...I havnt ever had an episode worth frowning over. Life is great. Enjoy.
    peace

Post Thanks / Like

This is about Disney changing the rules in the fourth quarter and forcing people who have already paid in advance for promised services to bend over and smile.
    Benefit event or not, WDW should honor the onsite services they use to promote their resorts and hotels. They constantly market the benefits of staying onsite in an effort to fill their hotels and then they adjust and reduce those benefits whenever it suits them.
    It's too bad more people don't get "riled up" about stuff like this. Maybe it would stop happening.

Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by epceddie View Post
    This is about Disney changing the rules in the fourth quarter and forcing people who have already paid in advance for promised services to bend over and smile.
    Benefit event or not, WDW should honor the onsite services they use to promote their resorts and hotels. They constantly market the benefits of staying onsite in an effort to fill their hotels and then they adjust and reduce those benefits whenever it suits them.
    It's too bad more people don't get "riled up" about stuff like this. Maybe it would stop happening.
    What rules were broken? There is a benefit...any place on earth has the statement "subject to change" including WDW.
    Also, again...there was NOTHING to get riled up about.
    Thankfully, no one really does....(or at least an insignificant percentage). There is just nothing here to get upset about. Im just happy im free and alive everyday. That and Everything else is a blessing!!

peace.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Opus X View Post
    Also, again...there was NOTHING to get riled up about.
    And, it is not up to you to decide how others feel about this. If someone feels cheated on their accommodations (as I definitely would), that's their prerogative. It's not necessary to respond back and forth every time someone posts. You made your thoughts on this known early on in the thread.

Post Thanks / Like

I am really at a loss for words over this. I think changing rules would be not letting those guest of these hotels enter DTD, they are suppling more buses to transport you back and forth, which IMO is better because the buses hold more guests than the DTD boats.
    76 CR,80 Offsite,82 CR, 85 Offsite, 88/89 GF,
    91 Dolphin, 93 DxL,94 WL,94 POLY,
    97 Offsite, 99 CSR, 02 ASMo, 03/04 ASMo
    04 POR, 05 POR, 08 POR, 10 ASMu FS,
    12 ASMu FS, 14 ASMo,
    POR, 15 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, epceddie, I'll be there.
    Susan A

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    And, it is not up to you to decide how others feel about this. If someone feels cheated on their accommodations (as I definitely would), that's their prerogative. It's not necessary to respond back and forth every time someone posts. You made your thoughts on this known early on in the thread.
    Very well said Melanie!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: