Quantcast Grand Canyon trip

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grand Canyon trip

We're in the very early stages of planning a trip to the Grand Canyon. We'll be driving from Michigan (although DH did toss out the suggestion of flying to Vegas, then renting a car), and we'd like to see as much as possible while we're out that way. If we drive the whole way, would it be worth it to take Route 66? Any suggestions for the Grand Canyon, other stuff to see in that area and stuff to see along the way would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the Grand Canyon! We went there some years back and it was one of our most memorable vacations ever! I don't know how much time you are planning on spending there, but if you can I would spend time at both the South and the North Rim. The South Rim is more touristy, but has some of the more infamous experiences--mule trips along the rim and to the bottom of the canyon, the large visitor center, the Hermit Road scenic byway that has some glorious overlooks and hiking along the Rim Trail. The North Rim, however, was our favorite. We stayed there three days and found it to be less touristy, less crowded and with better overall hiking. We stayed in a cabin along the rim; you walked out the door in the morning and were literally 20 feet from the rim (separated by a hiking trail). It was amazing! The North Rim Lodge does not have rooms inside; guests stay in a variety of cabins surrounding it. However, the lodge does have public areas, including a wonderful restaurant, lobby and terrace overlooking the canyon where the have evening fireside programs by the park rangers. And because it is at a higher elevation and more wooded than the South Rim, it tends to be cooler in the summer months. The best trip, IMO, would be a combination of the two rims, as well as visiting some of the other nearby National Parks, like Zion and Bryce Canyon, both with outstanding scenery (maybe on your way back home?)

Whatever your lodging choice, make sure and book as early as possible. If this trip is for next summer I believe you will be able to book 13 months in advance, so the time is now. Most of the lodge rooms/cabins will be booked by fall, especially the ones closest to the rim or some of the other scenic sights.

Other suggestions I can think of right now--bring plenty of sunscreen, extra memory cards for the camera, make time to see both sunrises and sunsets over the canyon, drink plenty of water and take a variety of clothing to layer as it can get chilly once the sun goes down (at least on the North Rim). And make sure and have at least one Navajo Taco.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Beth! It's always so reassuring to hear that someone else has had a great experience at a place that will be new to us. It sounds like it's definitely worth staying a few days there. We'd also love to see other things nearby like Bryce Canyon. And, I was afraid you'd say we should book now! We haven't even gotten beyond tossing the idea out there, so I guess we'd better get planning.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Beth, we stayed in a cabin on the rim of the Canyon. I booked the cabin a year in advance and remember it was really inexpensive to stay. We stayed for a week and had a wonderful time. We did a guided tour and a little hiking on our own. It was amazing to open the curtains in our cabin and have that incredible view!!!

If you have the chance, I'd suggest seeing Sedona and Walnut Creek Canyon (though I know they recently had some devastating forest fires in this area).

We flew into Phoenix and also visited Meteor Canyon which was pretty amazing.

Be aware, that the altitude is pretty high at the canyon and, if not used to it, can leave one pretty breathless while you aclimate.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Faline! So you flew into Phoenix and rented a car instead of driving from the east coast? We're in Michigan and we can't decide if we want to drive out, or fly in somewhere nearby and rent a car.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're driving and can swing it I suggest hitting some of the parks in Utah, Canyonlands, Arches, etc.

When I was there I stayed at the Bright Angel Lodge on the South Rim which was right on the rim. There are a few other places to stay as well, but as far as location (and if you don't want to pay the prices of El Tovar) that's the place to do it. If you want to do major hiking get out early - like prior to sunrise, as it does get hot. If you take the Bright Angel Trail down into the canyon you can get as far as Indian Gardens if you want to return that day, and there are three places to refill water on the trail between the rim and that stop. If you go any further (Phantom Ranch, which is at the bottom) you'll need to plan to stay overnight at the bottom and there are no places to refill water past Indian Gardens until you get there. Bright Angel Trail is the only trail that has water on it so I recommend taking that trail if you want to go down a bit. If you're not into taking a long hike I'd still recommend going down the Bright Angel Trail for a short stretch as it gives you a much different perspective of the canyon.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just logging in to post a question about the Grand Canyon! Rather than starting a new post, I thought I would just chime in here . . . Hope the VBs don't mind if I piggy back on your post!

We are looking at going around Memorial Day or Independence Day next year. I realize both will be really busy weeks, but it's what we've got to work with. I hear mixed reviews on going around July 4th, since it is the start of Monsoon Season. Some say that viewing a storm in the canyon is pretty phenomenal and cools things down a bit.

Those of you who have been . . . Should Monsoon Season scare me off?
    Second Star to the Right, and Straight on til Morning!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Thank you Faline! So you flew into Phoenix and rented a car instead of driving from the east coast? We're in Michigan and we can't decide if we want to drive out, or fly in somewhere nearby and rent a car.
    Yes. That is exactly what we did.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FaithTrustPixieDust View Post
    We were there at the end of summer and still had some pretty spectacular rain showers. One day, we spent quite a lot of time in a lounge at El Tovar as that was the closest shelter to where we were at the time. I'd just keep a close watch on forecasts and weather conditions.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    We flew into Las Vegas, then drove to Sedona, where we stayed for a few days, then up to the Grand Canyon area (South Rim). From there we drove around the east side of the canyon to access the North Rim. Then drove further north to visit Bryce Canyon and Zion and finally back to Las Vegas. It was a lot of driving but broken up over a couple of weeks it didn't seem bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by FaithTrustPixieDust View Post
    We are looking at going around Memorial Day or Independence Day next year. I realize both will be really busy weeks, but it's what we've got to work with. I hear mixed reviews on going around July 4th, since it is the start of Monsoon Season. Some say that viewing a storm in the canyon is pretty phenomenal and cools things down a bit.

We went in early June and that seemed about perfect to us. It was already pretty hot on the South Rim side of the canyon, but the north was quite comfortable, temperature-wise. We had very little rain while we were there, but the water level in the rivers/creeks was fairly high because of spring run-off. I don't know how it is in monsoon season, but I would think Memorial Day might be a better time to go, if you don't want to have to worry about rain curtailing your activities.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you again for all the great info! We have yet to sit down and hammer out the details for this trip, so I don't know what our chances of staying at one of the lodges is. I'm hoping we can talk about it soon! We'll definitely have to make a decision about whether to drive out, or fly and rent a car. There are so many things to see out there. Bryce Canyon is high on my list! Fingers crossed we can get this figured out soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Other National Parks/Monuments in the area include: Petrified Forest, Wupatki, Sunset Crater Volcano, and the already mentioned, Walnut Canyon. You can also stand on a corner in Winslow, AZ. There are many more if you head up into Utah.

You can get off the Interstate and drive sections of the old Route 66, but it would be very slow to take it all the way.

Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Other National Parks/Monuments in the area include: Petrified Forest, Wupatki, Sunset Crater Volcano, and the already mentioned, Walnut Canyon. You can also stand on a corner in Winslow, AZ. There are many more if you head up into Utah.
    Yes, Wupatki and Walnut Canyon are very interesting--lots of neat pueblos and other ruins that you can see up close and personal. And I must put a plug in again for Zion NP. It has the most incredible scenery and hiking in the Narrows there is an experience not to be missed!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Default North Rim

We love the North Rim mini cabins. We stay at both. NOTE: Both the North Rim and Bryce open around May 15. That gives you a clue to weather. They can usually get the roads cleared of snow by then. It can be very cold, so plan on your layered clothing.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: