Quantcast Our experience with GAC in past and DAS now

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Our experience with GAC in past and DAS now

Due to several mobility issues with both hubs and myself, in the past we got the GAC card. Some might say we abused it but really, we did not as I cannot stand for more than a few minutes and he has massive back problems. It was wonderful to have and get those privileges! Well, we were recently able to get APs again and took a quick drive to see the Mouse. We still have mobility issues (mine have improved and I no longer need a scooter every minute), as hubs' back is worse than ever. New to the DAS situation, we had to be talked through it. It began when he went in to get the card-CM-"Why do need a card?"...hubs explained. Her reply was that we didn't need one because he was able to walk into the building. Finally, he convinced her that we could not do stand-by lines all the time and she allowed him into the hallowed halls. He was photographed, etc and given a card and off we went in search of a ride. First up-Buzz Lightyear! The CM there gave us a return time and told us no sooner than 5 minutes before return time. So far, so good, we killed the time shopping. Returned to Buzz on time and got in FP line. All good...Skip to a couple hours later and we had lost track of how it all works. Went over to Under the Sea and thought the DAS was all we needed to get again into the FP line. We were abruptly and sort of rudely instructed to "Get into the Stand-by line". Nice. I don't mind being told which line to get into but do the CMs ever think, we might not know what we are supposed to do? I admit, I am a bit confused and not as excited about going on rides as before. By the way, those who say the wheelchair/scooter acts as a FP are wrong. We will learn the new system but I am hoping for a bit more patience from the CMs rather than the assumption that we have it down. All in all, we rode two rides all day.
    "I'm too excited to sleep."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry you had a tough go of it. You're right, DAS cards are no longer a front of the line pass for mobility issues and usually aren't issued for them anymore.

From Disney:
    Q: Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need a DAS Card?
    A: No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS Card. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations.
    In your case the CM did issue a card. The protocol for DAS holders per Disney
    Q: Where do DAS Cardholders go to receive return times?
    A: At Disneyland Resort, guests will go to Guest Relations kiosks located throughout the parks to receive a return time. At Walt Disney World Resort, guests will go to the attraction to receive a return time.
    So if you have the card and a return time is written, use the FP line. Otherwise, it's standby line. Remember you can also reserve FP+ times 30 days out with your AP.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry you had a confusing time with the new DAS. We've been a number of times with ECV's and wheelchairs, and once you get the hang of it, all is good.

Generally, Disney is not offering the DAS for mobility challenges, unless there are also other challenges that require a DAS.

There is a change from (often) how the GAC was used and the DAS. With the DAS you get a return time for each attraction, and when you return you do get to use the FP+ line. This allows you to wait in a safe and (more) comfortable area (as needed), and then return to the attraction and ride with a shorter wait in the physical line.

Don't forget to use FP+! You can pre-book FP+ attractions, or plan them when you arrive at the park. Many people have found that with the combination of DAS and FP+, they are still able to enjoy the parks and partake in many attractions. If ever you're not sure what to do, don't hesitate to ask a CM for clarification. I'm sorry you didn't get as much done as you'd hoped to do.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    Just off the subject, how easy IS it to get on and off of Buzz Lightyear with mobility issues?
    On all the continuous loading vehicles they will slow down (or even stop if necessary) the ride to allow someone with mobility issues to get on. It's generally pretty simple.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Chris is right, it should be easy. BUT, Buzz Lightyear is the only ride where we had issues (twice) with the CM's not wanting to slow or stop the ride. We were very vocal about what DD needed, so don't hesitate to speak up.

The Peoplemover (TTA) can also be a bit tricky since it doesn't slow ... especially the moving ramp up to the top. It isn't crazy fast, but it (along with Peter Pan) aren't slowed.

Under the Sea was EXCELLENT at helping, as was Spaceship Earth.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Default DAS things

Thanks for your replies.we did have a good day. The biggest frustration was the not remembering how to do it right.considering it was a jillion degrees, we did great. I just didn't appreciate the CM practically yelling at us. It was our first day back in two years so we really didn't understand all the ins and outs of it. Can you book FP+ on the day of arrival? We do make spur of the moment trips so can't always book ahead of time.
    "I'm too excited to sleep."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birdie1410 View Post
    Can you book FP+ on the day of arrival? We do make spur of the moment trips so can't always book ahead of time.
    Yes, as long as your AP is linked and valid.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I have terrible knees and a back, and as someone who has done it both ways, I can say that it is slower, and I was spoiled by the old way, but it is fairer.
    I had no problem riding everything I wanted to.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: