Quantcast Southwest Airlines

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Southwest Airlines

For those of you with families who have flown on Southwest Airlines, how easy is it to get a seat together if waiting to check in 24 hours in advance, rather than paying for the early bird check in? I know that I can do family boarding and also pre-boarding for my special needs son, but have been reading too many horror stories of families not being able to sit with eachother. TIA!
    Ashley
    Art of Animation- Nov/Dec 2015
    Grand Floridan- September 2014
    Bay Lake Tower- June 2013
    Treehouse Villas- April 2012
    Grand Californian- August 2011
    Animal Kingdom Villas- December 2010
    Animal Kingdom Villas- May 2010
    Bay Lake Tower- December 2009
    All Star Movies- March 2009
    +6 more

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you check in at the 24 hour mark, you really shouldn't have any issue with sitting together. You will most likely get an A boarding pass. If not, you can just do family boarding between the A and B groups.

It is mathematically impossible for there NOT to be at least 47 seats available in groups of 2 or more after the A group boards. Realistically, there will be 15 or more rows completely unoccupied at that point.

I'm sure it has happened that families have been split up, but my experience has been that even with C boarding pass and a completely full plane, SW will do their absolute best to figure out a way. On a flight in June, the flight was completely full. The last person to board was a mom with 3 children under 6(?). Before she even stepped onto the plane, the flight attendants were explaining the situation, and asking for volunteers to move around so as to seat them all together. There were so many
    volunteers, that the family was seated quickly, and there was a round of drinks for the whole plane for being such good sports.

Unless you're a family of 54, you don't really need to worry.

The early bird thing is great for the flight home though - you just don't have to even think about taking time from your vacation to do the check in chore.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    If you check in at the 24 hour mark, you really shouldn't have any issue with sitting together. You will most likely get an A boarding pass. If not, you can just do family boarding between the A and B groups.

It is mathematically impossible for there NOT to be at least 47 seats available in groups of 2 or more after the A group boards. Realistically, there will be 15 or more rows completely unoccupied at that point.

I'm sure it has happened that families have been split up, but my experience has been that even with C boarding pass and a completely full plane, SW will do their absolute best to figure out a way. On a flight in June, the flight was completely full. The last person to board was a mom with 3 children under 6(?). Before she even stepped onto the plane, the flight attendants were explaining the situation, and asking for volunteers to move around so as to seat them all together. There were so many
    volunteers, that the family was seated quickly, and there was a round of drinks for the whole plane for being such good sports.

Unless you're a family of 54, you don't really need to worry.

The early bird thing is great for the flight home though - you just don't have to even think about taking time from your vacation to do the check in chore.

Steve
    Pay a little extra for early bird check in.

Post Thanks / Like

Southwest's method of seating is not my favorite. I have, however, flown them a number of times when they have been the most cost-efficient choice. We've flown them when you had to arrive at the airport really early to be handed an "A" grouping card; had to check in 24 hours ahead of time EXACTLY to get an "A" grouping seat; and have paid extra to be in the "A" grouping (though I understand that enough folks now do this that a "B" grouping is just as likely as "A"). I have never flown them with a child so have never been able to avail myself of the family seating which, last time I flew Southwest, falls between the "A" and "B" groups of seating.

Only once was I separated from my husband on a flight. We had connecting flights and due to a late arrival, coupled with a gate change and misinformation from staff, we were the last two people to board the plane. I ended up in a middle seat somewhere in the middle of the plane and my husband was in the back of the plane. For us, it was not critical to be seated together and the flight was only a couple of hours in duration.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We are a family of 4 and have gotten seats together in positions as far back as B46-50. And there were still plenty of seats together at the back of the plane once we boarded.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Every time we have flown Southwest our family has had no problem getting seats together. As mentioned above the staff will do all they can to seat your family together. Most people are willing to move around to help out

Post Thanks / Like

We always fly Southwest and I check in exactly at the 24 hour mark. We've always gotten the end of A or the very first B's and never had a problem to get all 7 seats together.

People are always willing to help out too. On my last flight I moved and sat alone so that a father and son could sit next to each other. If you check in at 24 hours, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I personally think the early bird cost to not be worth it.
    1984 - Contemporary
    1989, 91, 92 - Caribbean Beach
    1992, 94, 95 - Dixie Landings
    2002 - Caribbean Beach
    2007, 08, 10 - Pop Century
    2012 - AOA
    2013 - Caribbean Beach
    2014 - Pop Century
    2015 - POR / Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

I wish Southwest would start offering assigned seats on its flights. Jet Blue does and it's a breeze to pick your seats online. Plus, they board by rows starting at the back of the plane and it makes the boarding process a lot less stressful.

Post Thanks / Like

I never ever pay the extra for early bird, just make sure I check in at 24 hours mark (really easy now that you can do it thru the mobile app), and I have never gotten anything farther back than a low B number.

My mother on the other hand swears by it, and there have still been times that she gets a low B number.

Take that for what it's worth. I just don't personally think it's necessary, when you can just hop up to family boarding if you end up with a less than desirable # anyway. And with a family of four, you would be looking at an extra $100 round trip.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done both, and never had a problem getting my "preferred" seat location on the plane. I've typically been assigned an A group number, except one flight when I was in the low B group.

The best thing about the early bird is you won't have to constantly remind yourself about checking in. If you decide not to pay for the early bird, just be sure to check in at the 24-hour mark and you'll be OK.

As others have already posted, the flight attendants will do their best to seat you together, and most passengers are willing to change seats when necessary.

I always sit towards the back of the plane (usually an aisle seat in rows 20-22), and I've noticed that the seats at the front of the plane tend to fill up first. There are usually groups of empty seats towards the back, which seem to fill up last.
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone. Your opinions really have helped. We have never flown on Southwest before, so we weren't sure what to expect.
    Ashley
    Art of Animation- Nov/Dec 2015
    Grand Floridan- September 2014
    Bay Lake Tower- June 2013
    Treehouse Villas- April 2012
    Grand Californian- August 2011
    Animal Kingdom Villas- December 2010
    Animal Kingdom Villas- May 2010
    Bay Lake Tower- December 2009
    All Star Movies- March 2009
    +6 more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I've done both, and never had a problem getting my "preferred" seat location on the plane. I've typically been assigned an A group number, except one flight when I was in the low B group.

The best thing about the early bird is you won't have to constantly remind yourself about checking in. If you decide not to pay for the early bird, just be sure to check in at the 24-hour mark and you'll be OK.

As others have already posted, the flight attendants will do their best to seat you together, and most passengers are willing to change seats when necessary.
    This.

Here is something else to consider.. If you have a connecting flight, you may want to do early bird, so you can board as early as possible and sit closer to the front of the plane, so when you land you can get off the plane sooner and on to your next gate - especially if you don't have a lot of time between flights.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't call it a horror story for people not to sit together. (Special needs exception of course).
    just a chance for a break from them.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

Rule of thumb for us - if we are going to be able to easily get online and check in 24 hours in advance, we'll usually do that. But, as someone else recommended, use EB for the trip home. You can lose track of time sometimes on vacation, so we usually like to not worry about getting online to get a decent boarding spot on the way home.

As most have said, if you check in 24 hours in advance, you'll have a very good chance of finding seats to all sit together, either late in the "A's" or early in the "B's".

Post Thanks / Like

Traveling solo I don't worry about Early Bird Check-In. Traveling as a family on SW? Would not go without it into MCO!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

More people must be paying the extra for trips home. Our flight was at 9:50pm this past Sunday and we were on the computer at the hotel at exactly 9:50pm the day before and got A53-A57 and there were only a total of 69 people on the plane.

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

The big problem is the connecting flight if you have one. In my experience, Southwest is always late and we are rushing to the connecting flight. Each and every time, my entire family is scattered throughout the connecting flight plane. After the 3rd experience, we only fly the legacy carriers now.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I am praying that there are no issues when we travel next week. I am going to print my boarding cards at midnight, and then I am going to try to be at airport as early as possible. Hopefully that will eliminate any seating issues. And I hope there will be not delay issues

'83~Off
    '91~Off
    '93~Off
    '96~Off
    '97~Off
    '99~Off
    '00~Contemporary/Disney Magic (Jul)
    '00~WL (Dec)
    '01~Off
    '02~POR
    '03~Disney Wonder/AKL (Aug)
    '03~WL(Dec)
    '04~Saratoga
    '05~Polynesian (Apr)
    '05~Pop (Sep)
    '06~POR FQ
    '14-Pop
    '16~Off (March)
    '16~ASMusic (Aug)
    '17~Off'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honeybear View Post
    I am praying that there are no issues when we travel next week. I am going to print my boarding cards at midnight, and then I am going to try to be at airport as early as possible. Hopefully that will eliminate any seating issues. And I hope there will be not delay issues
    Why print you boarding passes at midnight? You can print them right at the 24 hour mark when you check in.

Also, arriving early does nothing in terms of seating on SW. They begin the boarding procedure about 30 min before departure and everyone boards in numerical order. If you get A25 (for example) you will board between A24 and A26. You literally line up in number order.

Being early is better than being late, obviously, but as long as you are in the gate area when boarding begins, you will be fine.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Why print you boarding passes at midnight? You can print them right at the 24 hour mark when you check in.

Also, arriving early does nothing in terms of seating on SW. They begin the boarding procedure about 30 min before departure and everyone boards in numerical order. If you get A25 (for example) you will board between A24 and A26. You literally line up in number order.

Being early is better than being late, obviously, but as long as you are in the gate area when boarding begins, you will be fine.
    Oh so if my flight is 5am on monday, I can print at 5am on Sunday? I always thought It was a midnight on the day you leave. I don't know where I got that information. I know about boarding, but I don't want any issues with the plane being oversold and because we were the last ones there, we were picked to go on the next flight standby (I guess I watch too many airline episodes)

'83~Off
    '91~Off
    '93~Off
    '96~Off
    '97~Off
    '99~Off
    '00~Contemporary/Disney Magic (Jul)
    '00~WL (Dec)
    '01~Off
    '02~POR
    '03~Disney Wonder/AKL (Aug)
    '03~WL(Dec)