Quantcast Here we go again...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here we go again...

DH was just laid off again today. I feel like I can't breathe. Only 2 years with this company, so no severance package like we had last time. Just praying he finds something else as quickly as he did last time or we will be in very serious trouble.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry. The good news is that the economy is better than it was a couple of years ago so, hopefully, he will quickly find another position.

I know it's hard to think straight when you've taken an emotional hit but there are some practical steps you can take. When my husband was last out of work, we adopted a fairly strict policy of not buying anything that was not absolutely critically needed. In order to have some fun things to do, I kept an eye out for free (or nearly free things to do). One weekend, we visited a nearby museum that does not charge admission - that sort of thing. Go over your critical expenditures. Is there anything you can cut back on? Can you reduce your cable bill by taking out some "extras"? Same with your phone service etc.

Getting the word out that a position is needed is critical. Your husband should begin networking. Tell you neighbors; friends; everyone what sort of position your husband is looking for and ask they keep you in mind if they hear of anything. File for unemployment compensation right away. While you likely never need to go to the unemployment office since most claims are now handled on-line or via telephone, it still makes sense to visit your unemployment office. Many states provide additional services to those who are looking for work in terms of assistance with resume writing; job fairs etc. Does your husband's employer offer outplacement services? If so, he should definitely take advantage of that.

Good luck and I hope all goes well!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry you have to go through this again. Keeping your family in my thoughts that things turn around quickly for you.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry! Linda offered some sound advice, and I hope the right position is out there for him.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=TheVBs;2443700]DH was just laid off again today. I feel like I can't breathe. Only 2 years with this company, so no severance package like we had last time. Just praying he finds something else as quickly as he did last time or we will be in very serious trouble.[/

So sorry to hear this. My dh got fired last Dec. right before Christmas. He had been at the company 10 yrs. The company changed what he had to do and physically he wasn't able to do it. Just want to say it definitely helps to tell everyone. A job contact can happen in the most unlikely places. I work at a bowling alley. Talking to one of the patrons about his new job ended in him giving my husbands resume to his boss. Now my dh is a machinist again and very happy. He works mon thru fri and all holidays off. It hasn't been that way in years. I really think things happen for a reason. Sending lots of pixie dust your way.
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for all of the support and wonderful advice! Faline, your post helped us make a list and we hopped on that stuff first thing this morning. I've been networking like crazy.

By the way, if anyone knows of an open IT/Operations Manager position in Southeast Michigan, we would greatly appreciate it if you would drop me a note! I would post a link to his LinkedIn page, but I think that would be against the rules. I can always send it in a private message though, if anyone wants it to pass along.

I'm just trying not to panic and visualizing massive amounts of pixie dust being sprinkled over us.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry. Sending lots of pixie dust!!!

They probably hire IT at disney world....
    (Could be a way to turn it into a positive)

Post Thanks / Like

TONS of pixie dust heading your way VBs!! Sorry you are going through this again. Our thoughts and prayers for you & your family! One day at a time...
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much! We're trying to stay calm, positive and proactive. We spent all of yesterday networking, updating his resume, LinkedIn page and other sites. He's got an interview on Monday! I'm desperately hoping this will turn into a positive change like the last time. It was a wonderful company, but the commute took 1 1/2 - 2 hours each way.

All of our monthly bills have pretty much already been beaten down to bare bones, although we could probably look into refinancing the mortgage. For years I collected vintage mermaids and other vintage figurines, I'm going to start listing those on eBay.

And, I've decided to dust off my resume!

Just keep swimming!
    Susanne

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: