Quantcast Grand Californian vs Disneyland Hotel?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grand Californian vs Disneyland Hotel?

Hoping someone familiar with both hotels can give me some advice.

I'm planning a trip to DL in October for my 30th birthday with some friends and family. It'll be adults-only. We'll be staying 3 or 4 nights.

I've always loved the appeal of the Grand Californian theming as a big fan of the Wilderness Lodge in WDW. However, it seems like the Disneyland Hotel has more of a younger, hip vibe to me? What I'm looking for is a place where I really feel like I'm at Disney with the theming. We'll eat a lot of our meals at the parks, but might have a dinner at the resort one night at least and probably drinks as well. Trader Sam's looks amazing to me (but I could always visit even if I don't stay at the Disneyland Hotel). I just want to feel like I'm really a part of the magic where I'm staying, and not just like I'm at a hotel. Which do you think will be a better fit?

Thanks so much!
    1986 & 1990 - off-site
    1988 - Dixie Landings
    1995 - Euro Disney - Hotel New York
    2001 - CBR
    2008 - POP
    March & May 2016 - POP
    July 2016 - CSR
    Sept 2016 - CSR
    Nov 2016 - POFQ & WL
    March 2017 - POR
    May 2017 - POR
    Upcoming trip: Nov 2019

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Disneyland Hotel for what vibe you are looking for. It screams Disneyland from every corner. There is a ton of nostalgia there and the vibe of the entire outdoor area including the pool, Trader Sam's, the fireplace, etc. It's great, upbeat, and very very Disney. The rooms are also larger with daybeds in most and HUGE bathrooms and Disney touches and photos all over the room.

The GC is wonderful as well but more so for its public areas which you can enjoy as a member of the general public. I do HIGHLY recommend a dinner at Napa Rose (which would be a perfect birthday meal, IMO). Barring a meal, at least stop into the Napa Rose Lounge for wine and dessert one night...no reservations needed. Rooms at this hotel are sophisticated, but smaller and don't really feel "Disney", plus the hallways here can be long and endless.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the input!
    1986 & 1990 - off-site
    1988 - Dixie Landings
    1995 - Euro Disney - Hotel New York
    2001 - CBR
    2008 - POP
    March & May 2016 - POP
    July 2016 - CSR
    Sept 2016 - CSR
    Nov 2016 - POFQ & WL
    March 2017 - POR
    May 2017 - POR
    Upcoming trip: Nov 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to say I totally agree with everything that BrerGnat said...go for the Disneyland and do have dinner at Napa Rose. You can also get a fabulous meal at Steakhouse 55 which is located in the Disneyland.

One draw back to the Grand Californian...it always seems to be busy, a lot of non hotel guests come there to sit and hang out. Also, after the World of Color show a lot of people cut back through the hotel which can be a headache if you are trying to get to your room. Twice we were yelled at by people because we were trying to get to our room. Neither hubby or I responded but it was kind of rude and obnoxious. Not sure if we would ever stay there again.

----------------------------------------------------
    Dec 1997-Contemporary
    Dec 1999-Poly
    Dec 2001-Poly concierge
    June 2002-Disneyland (off site)
    Dec 2003-Poly concierge
    Dec 2005-Poly concierge
    Dec 2007-Poly concierge
    Oct 2008-Disneyland (off site)
    Dec 2009-Poly concierge
    Nov 2010-Disneyland Hotel
    Feb. 2012- Grand Floridian concierge celebrating 25 years of marriage just hubby and I
    September 2012- Paradise Pier
    January 2014-Grand Floridian
    December 2014-Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy ouch

We are staying at grand californian in August and I am not getting a good feeling reading this stream... Hopefully i didn't make a bad mistake ( staying in the Villas)
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mackflava99 View Post
    We are staying at grand californian in August and I am not getting a good feeling reading this stream... Hopefully i didn't make a bad mistake ( staying in the Villas)
    We just spent a few days at the Grand Californian in March and enjoyed it very much. We stayed in a studio in the villas.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Linda !! I am so looking forward to it, but was getting reservations after reading above.

Did you find a place local to get groceries?
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Since we were only there for a few days, we didn't get any groceries for our room. We did use a car service from the airport to the resort that would have done a grocery stop had we requested it.

The Hearthstone Lounge in the Grand Californian had continental breakfast available in the mornings if you're looking for something quick. The La Brea Bakery in Downtown Disney (you'll walk right by it if you're on your way into Disneyland) is also a good spot for breakfast.

If you have a car available, I'm sure there are grocery stores not very far away. We didn't get to explore the neighborhood very much.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Did you find a place local to get groceries?
    Albertson's and Von's are two grocery stores that will deliver.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

We used Vons when we stayed at VGC last June. There is a code on their website for free delivery for first time users. They will deliver and leave a bell services. They also deliver beer/wine but for that you must be present to accept delivery.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I have stayed at Disneyland Hotel and the GC Villas. I agree that the DLH has a special feel to it, but the GC Villas are amazing. We were lucky enough (twice) to get a theme park view (of California Adventures) and the first time I walked in it was like--wow!! I don't think you will be disappointed.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry. It is actually my favorite resort but I've been outvoted by the kids the last couple times because of the waterslides at the DLH. I was just saying that the DLH seems to be the best match for what the OP wanted.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

GC is wonderful, yes - but if you've stayed at WL, you've stayed at GC. But I promise - you have never stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. Just spent a week there - first time ever - fulfilling a 3-year dream that started as I was staring across the parking lot at it from the front gate of DL. It's beyond nostalgic - Walt is everywhere - but it's got this cool modern edge as well. It reminded me a bit of the Contemporary. Steakhouse 55 is lovely, as is Napa Rose in GC. The DLH is in the same category as DL Park, its theme park counterpart (they're both originals - first Disney Park and first Disney Hotel) and you can see it in the way it is preserved. I was most concerned with the walk from the hotel to the Parks (it's the furthest of the 3 Disney Resorts) but that turned out not to be a big deal at all. The weather is so nice, the walk was a very pleasant to start and end each day.

But you won't be disappointed with either.
    Shelley, Happy DW of bear_necessity.
    DVC owners: SSR since 2007
    Remain seated please. Permenecer sentados, por favor.

Last trip: DLHotel in May
    Next trip: ?? Vero maybe...

Post Thanks / Like

been to DL once but stayed across the street, not at these ones. im looking at them but the price is ....wow. so i am reading the replies to this thread to see if its worth it for a night or 2. i did like the looks of GC just because its like WL
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM