Quantcast What is your Disney "Breaking Point"?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

My issue with the Avatar-land (or whatever) is the cultural impact of the movie. When you look at things like Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel comics, Raiders, Simpsons, Harry Potter, etc. there is a huge cultural impact. Even though Avatar may have been a huge box-office hit, there are not annual conventions of Avatar fans, at least that I know of, and they don't sell Avatar costumes in stores. No one has a collection of Avatar plates in their kitchen or collects hundreds of dollars worth of Avatar action figures. To me, an Avatar land would excite me as much as a Titanic themed park - yes, you could make it visually appealing and there is a great story there, but is it really going to draw you there? For me, it's not. Maybe there are Avatar fanboys/fangirls out there and I don't know about it. I just don't see the average family saying, "let's go to Disney World. I'm super excited to see the new Avatar ride(s)."
    AP Platinum/Florida resident

Post Thanks / Like

As so many have posted not a breaking point, but certainly as the whoa, the prices are making us think point.

Kids are all grown, but the six of us all enjoy the WDW experience. DW and I started going to the Food & Wine Festival a few years ago. Simply loved it. Went back again , skipped a year and came back this year with kids who are all adults joining us for part of the week. DW and I also ran the TOT 10 Miler.

Hard to put our finger on it, but everything seemed so crowded, FP+ was annoying at best, a pain for the most part, MNSSHP was way too crowded for the price paid and the food prices were off the charts. Did we have a great time? Absolutely. Will we back? At some point. But a Baltic Cruise later this year and one through the Panama Canal next year are taking the place of any WDW trips.
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

We have already cut way back, but the final nail in the coffin would be the end of Magic Your Way pricing.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

My breaking point is actually getting close. We are planning three trips this fall/winter but only because our DD is working there as a photo-pass photographer and we want to see her.

We are staying offsite for the first time in many many years. We plan to leave the bubble and see the rest of Florida. We want to see the beach and maybe go to some different places to eat. We are going to Universal for the first time in 21 years! We may even hit the Keys.

The thing with Disney now is the planning. I am a wing it person. I like doing things on a whim. I hate having to plan fast passes and parks and restaurants in advance. I like getting up and saying lets hit Typhoon lagoon and then Epcot and not worry when my ADRs are or FP+ are. I like hanging at the resort, renting a boat or a bike. I like swimming in the pool and sitting by the pool lounge.

This time we will sit by the pool at the house we rented, BBQ and go to the beach. We will visit with our DD on her days off and maybe do the park just a few days.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    The thing with Disney now is the planning. I am a wing it person. I like doing things on a whim. I hate having to plan fast passes and parks and restaurants in advance. I like getting up and saying lets hit Typhoon lagoon and then Epcot and not worry when my ADRs are or FP+ are. I like hanging at the resort, renting a boat or a bike. I like swimming in the pool and sitting by the pool lounge.

This time we will sit by the pool at the house we rented, BBQ and go to the beach. We will visit with our DD on her days off and maybe do the park just a few days.

Same here and I think those days are pretty much done at Disney. Staying on site at Universal though would afford you that luxury 😎

Its a different world out there with FP and MDM.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Same here and I think those days are pretty much done at Disney. Staying on site at Universal though would afford you that luxury ��

Its a different world out there with FP and MDM.

I so agree. Universal is a much "easier" vacation now and I love the fact that no transportation is needed to get to the parks.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    My breaking point is actually getting close. We are planning three trips this fall/winter but only because our DD is working there as a photo-pass photographer and we want to see her.

We are staying offsite for the first time in many many years. We plan to leave the bubble and see the rest of Florida. We want to see the beach and maybe go to some different places to eat. We are going to Universal for the first time in 21 years! We may even hit the Keys.

That's the whole point. I plan 50 weeks a year at work. I dont want to do it on vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    That's the whole point. I plan 50 weeks a year at work. I dont want to do it on vacation.
    I agree that how much planning you have to do makes it tedious. And I can't, for the life of me, see how Disney markets FP+ as allowing you to be "more spontaneous". But it's not enough to bring my wife to her breaking point. I think that she really loves having the schedule. She's still flexible, and we change up the schedule every time we go, but she still likes the organization of it all.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: