Quantcast How many days?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many days?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many days?

How many days would you recommend for each park at Universal?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I always tell people to do 3 days....Then you can spend a whole day in each park and the third day redoing attractions that you liked the most. Stay on site and get the unlimited express pass for free...you won't be sorry. Their hotels are nicer than Disney's and walking to the parks instead of waiting for a bus is so nice.

Their Halloween Party is so much fun. If you go in October make sure you get tickets.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

We were bored by the third day...I say two full days is more than enough..
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on how you like to tour the parks. Are you the type who gets there first thing in the morning and leaves when the park closes? Or do you like to spend the first part of the day in the parks, take a break, then go back?

We are going at the end of June and will be there for 5 days (Saturday - Wednesday). we got 4 day park to park passes. we are staying on property so we have Early Park Admission advantage as well as the Express Passes. We like to go first thing in the morning, then leave around 2 for the day. That just gives us the chance to spend the rest of the day relaxing and doing other things. It'll keep us from getting worn out - especially since we'll be during such a hot time of year.

I agree with the first poster that 3 days is great - and especially now with the Harry Potter area, you could easily spend a whole day JUST doing the Harry Potter areas at both parks.

Good luck and ENJOY!!!
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I will probably be taking a break in the afternoon, but my kids may keep going. I have some physical disabilities and anticipate not being able to ride everything. For comparison, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is about the roughest thing I can do at Disney World. We do have a huge harry potter fan, so that will probably turn into an all day affair. I also plan in a rest day every 2-3 days of playing in the parks, so it sounds like Gregandmel's plan may work well for us - 5 days there with 4 day tickets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    How many days would you recommend for each park at Universal?
    Honestly, 2... but I could easily take 3... Pretty soon you'll need 3... then 4...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

If I only want to do the two Harry Potter lands and was not interested in any thrill rides at all, would one and a half day be enough? Say from around 2 PM one day and a full day the next? How about half a day if I can make it there before noon?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinky-Bell View Post
    If I only want to do the two Harry Potter lands and was not interested in any thrill rides at all, would one and a half day be enough? Say from around 2 PM one day and a full day the next? How about half a day if I can make it there before noon?

Thanks!
    Need at least one full day... You are missing out if you take only half a day for the two Potter sections... so much to see and take in... A day and a half should suffice for what you want to do...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    Not only do I think it's not enough time but why wouldn't you want to do the other attractions they offer? Not everything at Universal is extreme. Personally I would never go to a theme park with the intention of only going for a half day. Theme park tickets cost too much money IMO to do that.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    Yes, that is what we did last year. 1.5 days and one day the park even closed at 5pm for Halloween stuff. We were in from 9a-5pm the first day and then 9am-2pm the second day. We saw everything in HP lands, riding all those rides once each day. We ate in both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, saw the wand show, went in all the stores, rode the train both ways twice. In addition we rode Men in Black, E.T., Mummy, Hulk, and Spiderman. The only thing we missed was Despicable Me because the wait was over an hour. Rip Ride Rockit we also missed because it was down every time we were near it.

Honestly, I can't imagine spending more than 2 days there. I've been before and done all the other rides and once we were done with the ones we really wanted to ride, we were ready to go to Disney.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Yes, that is what we did last year. 1.5 days and one day the park even closed at 5pm for Halloween stuff. We were in from 9a-5pm the first day and then 9am-2pm the second day. We saw everything in HP lands, riding all those rides once each day. We ate in both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, saw the wand show, went in all the stores, rode the train both ways twice. In addition we rode Men in Black, E.T., Mummy, Hulk, and Spiderman. The only thing we missed was Despicable Me because the wait was over an hour. Rip Ride Rockit we also missed because it was down every time we were near it.

Honestly, I can't imagine spending more than 2 days there. I've been before and done all the other rides and once we were done with the ones we really wanted to ride, we were ready to go to Disney.

See I just don't get that Nat. I stayed 3 recently and with all else the resort has to offer along with the hotels, restaurants, night clubs etc... We said we easily could do 5-7 days there and really relax. The attractions and hotels are top notch and with Universal Express... It makes the vacation hassle free unlike the way FP+ has gotten.

They have a lot to offer. A vacation to me is more than just running from ride to ride.

All in all, universal now feels a lot like Disneyland. A self contained, very well done theme park, shopping, dining and resort complex.

Love Disney but think you are severely underselling Universal.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

I was answering the question posed based on my experience. If someone really only wants to see the Harry Potter stuff, then 1.5 days is plenty.

I can't really put my finger on it but I just never have an AMAZING time at Universal. I have gone numerous times over the years. I stayed at Cabana Bay last year and really liked it but I don't have the desire the spend a whole week at Universal. It's just something about the atmosphere there I don't really enjoy. I am not super into movies so maybe that is it. I find much of the park lacking in cohesive themeing and I get tired of all the simulators. Frankly, a lot of it feels cheesy and poorly thrown together (i.e. Simpsons area). Universal, in particular, feels very disjointed and I often feel lost there. It makes me uncomfortable.

I keep giving Universal more chances, though, and the Harry Potter addition was spectacular. The hotels are very nice and the upcoming water park and new hotel will probably bump the place up a couple more notches. Nintendo coming is also VERY exciting for my family so I know we will be back.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Can't disagree more. I think much of the park is as nice if not exceeding Disney (esp in the wizarding world areas).

Also, suggest that staying at cabana bay doesn't give that connected resort experience ala. Disneyland. I've been at both Hard Rock and Portofino - both are outstanding properties

In general, I think that many have their Disney rose glasses on and don't see Universal for all it has to offer...

To be clear, I love both but have been enjoying the Universal experience more as of late.

In the end, we all like what we like. Just think a day and a half is short.

Its like going in the magic kingdom and feeling like you've done everything because you did the mountains and ate in the castle. The experience is so much deeper than that.

Post Thanks / Like

John, if you don't mind, can you tell me how your days at Universal generally go? Just to kind've walk me through what to expect.

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree that a day and a half is not enough time to fully explore Universal Orlando Resort. I would never tell a first time visitor that it is. But it's definitely enough for JUST Harry Potter.

I agree about Cabana Bay. It was kind of far, required a bus that we waited FOREVER for. But, we were trying to keep the trip very low cost so it suited us. I would love to stay at Portofino one day!

And I don't have rose colored Disney glasses. I just have a longer history going there and more sentimental memories. I got married there, for gosh sakes! It makes me happy to be there, even if I don't ride a single thing. Universal will never do that for me.

For the record, though, DisneyLAND is really where it's at.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    John, if you don't mind, can you tell me how your days at Universal generally go? Just to kind've walk me through what to expect.

This may blow your mind... But we don't plan anything in advance.

The only common theme was getting up early to get into the HP attractions before the rest of the public - taking advantage of our hotel stay.

Because we stay at one of the 3 deluxe resorts, we got express which was great and on the HP rides after the mornings, we just did single rider each time.

So... Up early. Go with the flow and see what you want to see till noon. Fast food at lunch usually and there are plenty of good places to try. Really liked bumble bee mans tacos and of course the HP restaurants. Mythos has been ranked one of the beat theme park restaurants many years running... We liked it.

After lunch, we went back and chilled at the pool and refreshed.

Dinner, head out of the park and go to one of the restaurants in the city walk area.

To cap the day, be sure to see the universal nighttime show (we watches from the wharf area). You will be surprised at how many movies you know.

Then, consider doing some of the city walk clubs. Rising Star is a favorite... They do karoke on a big stage with a live band. Some of the folks are incredible.

Bottom line, if you have express, you don't have to get too hung up on planning. That's a welcome change!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are staying onsite and utilizing early entry for the Harry Potter stuff and Express Pass for everything else, I would say that 1-1/2 days in each park would do, although I would suggest two or three days in each park, if possible. That would give you enough time to go back to the resort in the afternoons or early evening and just hang out; the Universal/Loews resorts really are nicely themed and full of amenities.

My son and I were at UO this past March for two full days (1/2 day on arrival, one full day and then another 1/2 day) and we felt rushed compared to our previous trip where we stayed for 4-1/2 days.

We love Universal and don't try to compare it with WDW, as they're two different types of theme parks, each with their own pros and cons. Really about the only major con that I can think of to UO is the lack of shade in some parts of the parks, more so in Islands of Adventure than the Studios. It can get pretty hot pounding the pavement when the sun is shining, but that's a good time to do the water rides or have a cold one.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your replies. Wow, very different opinions! Though I have to say I like Natalie's version best. I'm also not much into movies, not at all into going from ride to ride, and never even got into the Simpsons!

I'll be doing the DISapalooza at Diagon Alley this December with the DIS folks, but I realize that's going to be a very limited experience, so I wanted to go at some other time to experience the two Harry Potter lands a bit more leisurely. This will NOT include any of the rides, just the experiences and possibly the restaurants.

I never do rope-drop at WDW and have no intention of doing so at Universal either. It's my vacation and I have the right to sleep late! I would definitely like to stay at Cabana Bay. Why? Because I grew up in the sixties and this is very nostalgic for me. I don't mind waiting for a bus. Already used to it from WDW.

Again, thank you so much for your varied opinions and I wish your podcast came out a bit more often. You guys are very entertaining!

Nora

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your replies. Wow, very different opinions! Though I have to say I like Natalie's version best. I'm also not much into movies, not at all into going from ride to ride, and never even got into the Simpsons!

This is something I don't understand. You don't have to be "into movies" to enjoy quality attractions. I can honestly tell you I don't like watching Disney movies. I have no interest in them. But I do enjoy Disney attractions that are based on their movies.

I don't like the Spiderman movies but love the Spiderman attraction at Universal. Many people aren't into the HP movies but love the HP attractions.

You have your heart on going for 1 1/2 days and that's OK, but I think you will be selling yourself short. I find many people go to Universal not wanting to like it and not giving it a chance.

Here are a few facts according to me.

-Universal Hotels bypass Disney's in everyway
    -A Universal vacation is much much more relaxing than a Disney vacation now
    -Universal and Disney restaurants are both good....One does not have better restaurants than the other.
    - Prices at both Disney & Universal are equal... except for hotel value at Universal is better
    -Little or no planning is needed at Universal
    -While staying at Universal you are actually "on property" and don't need transportation to get to the parks

-
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post

I find much of the park lacking in cohesive themeing and I get tired of all the simulators. Frankly, a lot of it feels cheesy and poorly thrown together (i.e. Simpsons area). Universal, in particular, feels very disjointed and I often feel lost there. It makes me uncomfortable.
    The theming at the Studio is Hollywood and Movies...I think they pull it together perfectly.

I think that lack of cohesive theming could be said about Disney also.

MK...with the exception of Adventure Land and Frontier Land the rest of the lands are just a mish mash of stuff.

In Tomorrow Land you have the COP which is def not a thing of tomorrow, along with a race car track, and a spaceship rollercoaster.....No common theme there.

In Fantasy Land you have It's a Small World, Dumbo, and the teacups....No common theme there.

Cheesy is Dinoland at the AK.....but I still enjoy it.

I could go through every Disney park and pick them apart for lack of common theming too.

I understand that not everyone likes the same thing but what I dislike is that some people will base their trip to Universal on these reviews and go into a visit with such low expectations before even setting foot inside of the park. It's just like when I hear people who have never been to Disney saying it's a waste of money, time, or just for kids.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: