Quantcast Wheelchair on busses

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wheelchair on busses

My son has MD, he walks but tires easy. We have a small wheelchair that we use for the zoo, malls...etc. It folds to about the size of a regular size stroller. Will it be a problem to bring it on the bus (folded) while he sits in a seat?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It will be no problem at all. I fold up my rollator when I use Disney busses. I would have him board first and then fold up the wheelchair.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed - it won't be a problem at all.

My daughter has had a couple of trips in a wheelchair, and the drivers always ask her if she wants to stay in the chair (and if so, they tie her down), or if she wants to transfer to a seat (and we hold the folded-up wheelchair). Neither was ever a problem at all.

I would be sure to load first, so he gets a seat, and you have an easier time folding up the chair.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Do you get in the regular line or stand in the handicap section? He does need a seat...no getting around that. But, I'm not sure he would like the attention...he's 12 (enough said, right?).

Post Thanks / Like

We always waited in the handicap section. It is the only way to get loaded first, and make sure you have a seat. Even when DD was going to transfer to a seat, the stairs were hard for her, and there was no way we could risk her not being able to sit on the bus. She would wait in her wheelchair, and the bus driver would load her. Once we were on he would ask if she preferred staying in the chair or moving to a seat. Once were settled, everyone else got on.

I agree, it is tricky. It feels "weird" to be on first, while others are watching. However, it is what our kids need to have the best time at Disney.
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

How does unloading work? Do they let everyone off first? Or can you just get off with the folded wheelchair? Sorry to ask so many questions. The last time we went he was more mobile so this is new for us and I really can't remember how this is all handled.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I read somewhere that they didn't have that handicap section anymore. Has anyone been recently that has seen this?

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to use the ramp/lift they will let you off last. If you want to walk off with the folded wheelchair, you can get off with everyone else.

DD tended to stay in her chair on the bus, so we would wait until everyone was off, and then the driver would unhook her, and she'd go down the ramp/lift. When she could walk off, there is no need to wait for the driver.

I don't know if there have been any changes to the loading areas, but I can tell you in a couple of weeks! Last year, there were markings at the resort, and at the themepark bus queues, showing us where to wait with the wheelchair.
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I will be there in a couple of weeks also...lol! Have fun!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: