Quantcast Memorial Day weekend - worth it?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Memorial Day weekend - worth it?

I'm thinking of driving to WDW from Atlanta on May 27th and staying until mid-day on the 30th. I'll be staying on-property so I can take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours. I plan to get a Park Hopper so I can take advantage of EMH at each of the parks or have the freedom to park hop if one park is particularly crowded. Here's my tentative plan:

27th: Arrive on-property in the evening, and head to Hollywood Studios (open til 12am with EMH).

28th: Start my day at EPCOT at 9am. Stay for a few hours, then head over to Magic Kingdom in the afternoon and stay til 12am.

29th: Start my day at 8am at Hollywood Studios for a few hours, then spend rest of the day at EPCOT until 9pm when it closes and then finish the day at Magic Kingdom.

30th: Animal Kingdom for 1/2 a day before I need to head back home.

What do you think of this plan? I know it's a lot crammed into a weekend (especially a holiday weekend) but I'll be going solo so I can move around a lot quicker than most, and can also take advantage of Single Rider lines for rides I want to hit multiple times like Expedition Everest, Rock N Roller Coaster, and Test Track. I've never been on a holiday weekend at WDW before however I've been to Disneyland on many busy weekends so I'm sure it's comparable?
    1986 & 1990 - off-site
    1988 - Dixie Landings
    1995 - Euro Disney - Hotel New York
    2001 - CBR
    2008 - POP
    March & May 2016 - POP
    July 2016 - CSR
    Sept 2016 - CSR
    Nov 2016 - POFQ & WL
    March 2017 - POR
    May 2017 - POR
    Upcoming trip: Nov 2019

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Of all of my trips, I was the most unhappy with crowds (and at times I was genuinely scared of a stampede breaking out) during Memorial Day weekend 2015. The holiday weekend was at the tail end of my 7-day trip, and the difference in crowds was substantial.

I was about to cast my vote in the "not worth it" column, but then I read you were traveling solo. I think it would be much more enjoyable being there on that weekend being solo, you could definitely navigate the crows with ease. When I was there I was navigating a family of 4 with 2 strollers, and at times it was almost unbearable. The crowds were so thick, and navigating the park was very difficult to do without getting "split up".

But if you are going solo I wouldn't hesitate to go at all that weekend.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

It will be busy but you know that. I think you'll be able to cover a lot of ground as a single traveler so don't see any reason why you can't enjoy the holiday weekend at Disney World! Have fun!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    Of all of my trips, I was the most unhappy with crowds (and at times I was genuinely scared of a stampede breaking out) during Memorial Day weekend 2015. The holiday weekend was at the tail end of my 7-day trip, and the difference in crowds was substantial.

When I was there I was navigating a family of 4 with 2 strollers, and at times it was almost unbearable. The crowds were so thick, and navigating the park was very difficult to do without getting "split up".
    We are thinking of beginning on Memorial Day and staying through the following weekend. Also a family of 4 here, just 1 stroller though. I know the Monday would be crowded, but I'm thinking it may slack off some after that. Or would it be worth it to wait to arrive the weekend after Memorial Day?

Post Thanks / Like

Note that the last few years WDW has had their 24-hour day in the MK on the Friday prior to Memorial Day. This may make it more or less appealing to you.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: