Quantcast Torn Between GCH and DLH

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Torn Between GCH and DLH

I will be traveling alone with my 2 year old son and really torn between which hotel to stay at. Help!

I'm drawn to the GCH due to location but don't want to feel I wasted a lot of $$$ on outdated grungy rooms. Based on recent reviews the rooms are really showing their age but the lobby is still breathtaking. The DLH looks great for young children but is farther away; the rooms look nice though. How far and how many minutes is the walk from DLH to the parks? Can you use the monorail in DTD to get to the Tomorrowland station for early morning magic hours, or do you have to enter at the maingate that time of morning? I've also heard that the entrance into CA from GCH gets really crowded so it doesn't save you a ton of time??

Does either hotel have a leg up in terms of restaurants?

The difference between the 2 hotels is around $350. I don't mind spending the money on the GCH if it's really worth it, but is the prime location worth that much compared to DLH?
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belle of the Ball 051411
    The DLH looks great for young children but is farther away; the rooms look nice though. How far and how many minutes is the walk from DLH to the parks?
    The Disneyland Hotel is a bit further away, but my personal take is a brisk 10 - 15 minute walk to the parks. On the map, it is about a 0.5 mile walk.

Can you use the monorail in DTD to get to the Tomorrowland station for early morning magic hours, or do you have to enter at the maingate that time of morning?
    Didn't try to use the monorail for the early morning magic hours last year, so not sure.

I've also heard that the entrance into CA from GCH gets really crowded so it doesn't save you a ton of time??
    At least last year staying at the Disneyland Hotel, we also had access to the Grand Californian Entrance. Did it Mid-Day and there was no wait, didn't try it at any other time though.

Does either hotel have a leg up in terms of restaurants?
    Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel is a classic and likely a must do with kids.

Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel is one of my favorite Disney restaurants.

The difference between the 2 hotels is around $350. I don't mind spending the money on the GCH if it's really worth it, but is the prime location worth that much compared to DLH?
    Personally, the nostalgia and history of the Disneyland Hotel won out in the end. Important for me was also the close proximity to Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar and Steakhouse 55, but this was also a trip with just adults.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy both hotels.

My personal preference is the GCH. It is slightly closer than the DLH and at the end of a long day I appreciate that. The last time I stayed there was three years ago. At that time the room did not feel outdated and definitely not grungy. We were very pleased. We had a room overlooking the monorail pass through and enjoyed sitting on the balcony, waving at the people going by. We have never run in to a crowd at the DCA/GCH entrance. Luck perhaps, but we've gone in and out of there many times over the years. We have never used it during the early entry hours and I believe that is when there might be a back up. We really enjoy Storytellers Cafe for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And of course, being in the midst of Downtown Disney it is not far to other restaurants.

We have stayed at DLH many times over the years and have seen it go through many updates. I think the most recent room renovations are the best yet. You will have a longer walk to and from the esplanade when at the DLH, maybe 10 minutes farther than GCH at the most. If you have a two-year old you are probably closer to my daughter's age than mine so the longer walk probably won't be as much of a deal breaker to you as it is to me. The DLH property is enjoyable to explore and the option of taking the nearby monorail into Disneyland is nice when it is running. I don't recall whether they open during early entry. We always took our kids to Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel when they were young and we all enjoyed it. Once again, there are many restaurant options right outside your doorstep in Downtown Disney.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

The monorail does not run during the early morning hour.

I prefer the GCH overall. Save the DLH for when your child is older and able to enjoy the monorail slides. The GCH is perfect for the toddler ages. Close, convenient, peaceful, comfortable. I don't understand the people who find the rooms "grungy" unless they just really equate a brown color scheme with "dirty." We have stayed there several times and I think the rooms are very nice. Sure they might be due for a renovation, but those come around every few years. We have never had a dirty or inadequate room.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: