Quantcast Party sticker shock..

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Party sticker shock..

We're not planning another WDW vacation until 2018. All for good reasons. We didn't do our planned Grand Canyon trip this year, and did something smaller instead. So, Grand Canyon is next year's plan, with WDW the following year. After going both in 2014 and 2015, we're good with this. Mostly.

Since my DD12 and I are wondering if we'll die waiting that long to go back, I was thinking of doing a little stopover on our way down to see family, like we did back in 2012. We stayed a couple nights at the AoA, went to the Christmas party and did some mini-golf. It was a great little fix.

But, looking at ticket prices for this year was an eye opener! I want to say we paid around $70 per ticket in 2012? Am I imagining that? Now it's around $90 and that's nearly as much as a day pass to the park. I don't know if I could easily sell that plan to DH!!
    Susanne

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, you do get to enter at 4pm with that ticket, so you get 8 hours in the park.

But yeah, it is a lot. I am going this year for the first time, but I was able to buy a ticket with the military discount for $66.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

The party tickets have gone up considerably. I once said I would never miss going to one of the park parties if one was occurring while I was there. Well, we were there during the Christmas season last year and did not attend Mickey's Very Merry. I found that I did not really miss going.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, there really isn't an economical way to go to WDW. Of course you can save on hotels, etc. The price works out "cheaper" per day the longer you stay. Look at the multiday pass. Need to get past 4 days for that to work out though.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

The party tickets are way over priced now. We are going to be down for an event in November and after looking at the MVMCP ticket prices we are going to pass this time. We are thinking about taking the money we would have spent on that and putting it toward going to Universal instead.

Post Thanks / Like

The first time we went to Mickey's Halloween Party the tickets were $29.95 (advance price), so $120.00 for our family of four. We thought that was a pretty good deal and went several times unti the tickets got up to about $50 each. Then it priced us out of the market, simply no longer worth it to us, in spite of the exceptional parade and fireworks show (Hallowishes = Best Disney fireworks show of all). Now, at more than $250 for a family of four, it is simply beyond our budget.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

8. Likes CanadianWDWFan, baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The parties used to be a really good value. With all the extras (fireworks candy, cookies and hot chocolate, etc). We would certainly make it a point of doing them, and that was without kids!

Now, it's just insane. They are over priced, over crowded and even over played. But I guess you can't argue if people are flocking to them.

We decided were doing a Xmas cruise for the holidays. While pricier, I think it will be more magical than a trip to the parks.

10. Likes CanadianWDWFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    The parties used to be a really good value. With all the extras (fireworks candy, cookies and hot chocolate, etc). We would certainly make it a point of doing them, and that was without kids!

Now, it's just insane. They are over priced, over crowded and even over played. But I guess you can't argue if people are flocking to them.

We decided were doing a Xmas cruise for the holidays. While pricier, I think it will be more magical than a trip to the parks.
    We really enjoyed the parties but the greed has taken hold. I doubt we will ever go to a party again. The cost has priced it out of reach. Disney is counting in people who just have to go at any cost.

As for the Christmas cruise it was the best thing we ever did. We LOVED it!
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I keep running the idea through my mind and I just don't think we can justify it. Maybe a stopover at a resort, some mini-golf and Disney Springs? Hmmm......
    Susanne

13. Likes CanadianWDWFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep... This is the first October in about 12 years that we are skipping MNSSHP. We loved dressing up and going, but we hit the tipping point this year. At over $200 for just the two of us, the value isn't there anymore. The parties are oversold, way too packed and it's time to just say no. The dates we could go are also blacked out from any AP discounts, too. We can do a lot of F&WF snacking or try a lot of new goodies at Disney Springs for that money, and get some new experiences, too.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the higher price will lower the crowds at all?
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Disney is working overtime to price out middle class families. And they are succeeding.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    I wonder if the higher price will lower the crowds at all?
    Not from all of the comments I've seen on other boards and on Facebook. Lots of people are discussing going to MNSSHP this year. I'm blown away. One was a family of 7... 7!!!!
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Apples and proverbial oranges but the Halloween Horror Nights price is lower, albeit still expensive to me, and it offers a much more unique and different experience than a day time park visit.

As long as people come out in droves and continue to pay the price, what's the incentive to change from Disney's perspective?

They saw the hotel numbers drop a bit, so they lowered the prices to fill outstanding rooms. The marketing strategy is changing, unique premier experiences to get higher Price Per Guest for the average park guest even if overall attendance is down.

It's the Vegas perspective if they are filling the high level suites with people who spend 400-500% more per person, they can offer a "lesser" experience to the other guests at not much repercussion because they have a unique product that people will still want to attend.

Post Thanks / Like

How is Horror Nights lower? I see their price is $104 and Mickey comes in at $91 (depending on date of course).

Genuinely asking because I'm looking to go to Horror Nights this year and I'm not finding any discounts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1117 View Post
    How is Horror Nights lower? I see their price is $104 and Mickey comes in at $91 (depending on date of course).

Genuinely asking because I'm looking to go to Horror Nights this year and I'm not finding any discounts.
    I didn't realize the discrepancy was so much between Annual Passholders and General Public.

Another option you can add on for $56 to a single day ticket to either Universal park.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy'sMom View Post
    Disney is working overtime to price out middle class families. And they are succeeding.
    We have gone to both parties in the past and we thought about going this year, however after seeing the prices we cannot justify spending the money. We also used to go 7 full days and I just called yesterday and cut off a day; we used to drop our bags and go, this year arrival day will be spent at the hotel and departure day we will just get up and head home. Me also used to fly and rent a car, we drive now. What we used to spend in 8 days we now spend on 4! Our yearly trips I can see not happening in a few years! Is just not financially in the cards for us to go every year! We also used to buy 10 day non expiring tickets and e them on multiple trips per year....not able to do that either. So if DISNEY reads this.....we used to do 10+ days per year, now only 4.... I know you have no shortage of guests, but we were frequent visitors who are now infrequent!!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

22. Thanks CanadianWDWFan thanked for this post
    Likes CanadianWDWFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We can do a whole water park day for half the price. And, that gets us access to both water parks. I realize that it might be a bit chilly in Nov. though.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    The parties are oversold, way too packed and it's time to just say no.
    Those are my feelings too, at least about MNSSHP. I do love activities at the Christmas Party, but am kind of tired of shelling out top dollar to be crammed in like sardines.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

25. Likes CanadianWDWFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppysmom View Post
    We have gone to both parties in the past and we thought about going this year, however after seeing the prices we cannot justify spending the money. We also used to go 7 full days and I just called yesterday and cut off a day; we used to drop our bags and go, this year arrival day will be spent at the hotel and departure day we will just get up and head home. Me also used to fly and rent a car, we drive now. What we used to spend in 8 days we now spend on 4! Our yearly trips I can see not happening in a few years! Is just not financially in the cards for us to go every year! We also used to buy 10 day non expiring tickets and e them on multiple trips per year....not able to do that either. So if DISNEY reads this.....we used to do 10+ days per year, now only 4.... I know you have no shortage of guests, but we were frequent visitors who are now infrequent!!
    They only need you there 4. You've spent the threshold on tickets, on hotels, etc. I bet, but don't know, that research says that somewhere around 3-5 days is the sweet spot, that past that, your spending might drop off significantly (tickets, food, souvenirs, etc).

I'm sure they've studied carefully and these decisions reflect that. I'm sure the decisions they've made, while not great for your family, probably meet their financial goals with the lowest risk.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite