Quantcast Magic is gone

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magic is gone

Post Thanks / Like

Default Magic is gone

Just wanted to tell those planning WDW vacations (like us) that I just heard from my friend who just returned and the first thing he said was: "the magic is gone."
    Like me, his idea of a vacation is to completely isolate from the outside world and just relax. No face time with a computer screen or phone. WDW has always been perfect for that.
    Now apparently WDW is forcing guests to bury their faces n their phones virtually on a constant basis. Even ordering Quick Service food. I forgot to ask if you could still get popcorn or a Mickey ice cream bar without your phone.
    Boo to Disney. Having second thoughts about our reservations. And now the Extra Evening Hours are only for Mr. & Mrs. Thurston Howell. Shame on Disney for establishing a caste system.

2. Likes RunDMV liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We were In Epcot the end of August. While things are different we did not feel the magic was gone. We rarely had our phones out. We enjoyed seeing Pooh frolicking in the garden chasing butterflys. He even posed for pictures and answered questions with a nod of his head. We had great interactions with some cast members and enjoyed riding Soarin twice in a row with no wait. While many things have changed at Disney the trip will be what you make it. We chose to enjoy our trip even though it was 97 degrees and crazy humid.

5. Likes PopPhan, baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I might disagree with you on that. We had a most magical trip on our last visit in June.

First, let's get a few points out of the way. Disney is not a vacation. We all know that if you are looking to just unwind and relax then Disney isn't for you, even if you aren't planning to visit the parks. Second, the tech may be frustrating at times, but ultimately if Disney is doing their job well then the apps and their offerings should bring pleasure...not pain. Third, there will be structure. We've all been working with ADRs for at least 30 years now (let alone FP+) so it should be no surprise to anyone. Fourth, Disney is a premium experience...even if you aren't staying at a premium resort. If you have a family of four with airfare, possibly car rental and are staying for seven days then know that it will probably cost you are least $10k. Finally, don't set your expectations too high or so high and be fluid in your plans. Not everything may be available, people may get tired or it might rain...perhaps a lot.

If you are good with all that then there is absolutely no reason you can't have a great Disney experience every time. Frankly, we preferred the order ahead option for quick service. The kids were all great with managing our park reservations and FP+. I realize FP+ is all changing, but we had a fantastic time! We're not ready to go back just yet, but maybe in another 3-4 years is good for us. Enjoy!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

7. Likes TheVBs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    I might disagree with you on that. We had a most magical trip on our last visit in June.

First, let's get a few points out of the way. Disney is not a vacation. We all know that if you are looking to just unwind and relax then Disney isn't for you, even if you aren't planning to visit the parks. Second, the tech may be frustrating at times, but ultimately if Disney is doing their job well then the apps and their offerings should bring pleasure...not pain. Third, there will be structure. We've all been working with ADRs for at least 30 years now (let alone FP+) so it should be no surprise to anyone. Fourth, Disney is a premium experience...even if you aren't staying at a premium resort. If you have a family of four with airfare, possibly car rental and are staying for seven days then know that it will probably cost you are least $10k. Finally, don't set your expectations too high or so high and be fluid in your plans. Not everything may be available, people may get tired or it might rain...perhaps a lot.

If you are good with all that then there is absolutely no reason you can't have a great Disney experience every time. Frankly, we preferred the order ahead option for quick service. The kids were all great with managing our park reservations and FP+. I realize FP+ is all changing, but we had a fantastic time! We're not ready to go back just yet, but maybe in another 3-4 years is good for us. Enjoy!
    Funny how none of the advertising makes any mention of Disney not being a vacation. How they don’t mention the premium cost but not to expect premium I’m service. Wonder why?
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha whoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

9. Thanks RunDMV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

F Second, the tech may be frustrating at times, but ultimately if Disney is doing their job well then the apps and their offerings should bring pleasure...not pain.
    Disney doesn't do their job well. Their tech is subpar.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

11. Thanks RunDMV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I completely agree with that. It started getting better but now they have completely changed everything and moved to Genie+ so who knows how that will work. I spent more time at Guest services in the past 5 years than all of the other years I have been going combined. I spent most of that time trying to get tickets and fastpasses straightened back out that were messed up on their end out of my control.

There is no doubt that a WDW vacation is nowhere near as magical as it used to be. It used to be a great value and you got a lot for your money but now.......I feel like cattle being herded through as fast as possible while at the same time being charged for anything and everything they can find a way to put a charge on. One of the charges that tick me off more than most is now having to pay to park my car that I don't even touch for the entire week I am there in the resort parking lot that was built decades ago and I have parked there for those decades without paying. That makes my blood boil. I am one of those that looks at parking charges when I make hotel reservations anywhere. It is actually a determining factor in what hotel I choose.

13. Likes RhodeHog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finding Nemo show is gone for good. Keep that "magic" coming.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofyskier View Post
    Funny how none of the advertising makes any mention of Disney not being a vacation. How they don’t mention the premium cost but not to expect premium I’m service. Wonder why?
    They might call it a vacation...I don't. Heck, I'm even a member of DVC!

Nearly everything anymore is a premium experience...especially with inflation on the rise as of late. You can't take a family of four to a movie with snacks for under $50. You can't take a family of four to a baseball game, again, with parking and snacks, for less than $100 to $150 depended on the stadium. The cost of everything is through the roof. My weekly grocery bill for three is never under $250 any more. A week at Disney for four with all the perks will cost you $10k...but so will a week at the beach in many cases. C'est la vie!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I did put the big "IF" in there...
    Beth & David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Finding Nemo show is gone for good. Keep that "magic" coming.
    Nope! They're just reworking it. It will be back next year with all new costumes, effects, and possibly new songs!
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

18. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm excited for the changes, and if you think that Disney introducing "tech" into the Disney Experience is removing the magic, then I don't know what to tell you. For years here on Intercot, there has been a loud group lamenting the fact that Disney was stagnant, not keeping up with Universal, content to not upgrade anything, etc, etc. But then when they introduce new rides, new technologies, change shows and experiences, people complain that the "magic is gone" because it is not the Walt Disney World that you have known and loved. What's a company to do?

We went in May, and had a really nice time. It was a different sort of trip, as we were staying off-site, there were no fireworks, no buffets, no Fast Passes, etc. But it was still great. I actually really like the Virtual Queue system for the really popular rides. I am unconvinced about the Genie app actually working like they say it will...I mean, if it is supposed to tell you when the rides you want have low waiting times, and it notifies you, it's also notifying everyone else who wants to ride it and...bam!...there go your short wait times. So, for Disney, this will probably be a home run as it will eventually average out wait times all over the parks.

The tech has indeed gotten better, and am SO HAPPY that FP+ is gone. I'm even cool with them charging $15/day for the Lightning Lane access. I am, however, very disappointed that they are upcharging on their upcharges for Lightning Lane access to the most popular rides. I'm also not happy that they're removing free PhotoPass for AP holders.

We have a trip coming up in January, just the wife and I, and we're staying at the Polynesian for 8 days. It's my bucket list hotel. I've been wanting to stay there for 20 years. I can't wait.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

20. Likes PopPhan, baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They might call it a vacation...I don't. Heck, I'm even a member of DVC!
    !
    I have never read such a thing before. Everything about Disney is marketed as a vacation, bug its not a vacation? Seriously?

Post Thanks / Like

It certainly has changed, but really-what hasn't? The magic is still there , you just have to look a little harder. Still smiling faces all around , perfect picture moments, new experiences, little special moments and more. The world we live in is so different today, WDW is still a place I go and generally forget the outside world .

23. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously this is one of those topics that is extremely subjective. If you find it's no longer worth your money, you're not going to go. If you still have a wonderful time, you're going to find value in it.

We were just there at the beginning of August for a few days. We had concerns about how our enjoyment would be impacted. But we ended up having an absolute blast! And we did not have to work at it, or make the best of it. Disney delivered. We had concerns about needing to use the app and that turned out to be no problem at all. We used it to get on RotR, we actually really enjoyed using it to mobile order food (and this was not a necessity, every place we went had at least one register open for walk ups) and because there was no FP when we were there, we pulled it out a few times to check ride times before hoofing it all the way across the park to something we wanted to get on. We weren't by any stretch of the imagination spending the entire day with our faces buried in our phones.

We're planning to go back next August and we are so excited about it!
    Susanne

25. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Obviously this is one of those topics that is extremely subjective. If you find it's no longer worth your money, you're not going to go. If you still have a wonderful time, you're going to find value in it.

We were just there at the beginning of August for a few days. We had concerns about how our enjoyment would be impacted. But we ended up having an absolute blast! And we did not have to work at it, or make the best of it. Disney delivered. We had concerns about needing to use the app and that turned out to be no problem at all. We used it to get on RotR, we actually really enjoyed using it to mobile order food (and this was not a necessity, every place we went had at least one register open for walk ups) and because there was no FP when we were there, we pulled it out a few times to check ride times before hoofing it all the way across the park to something we wanted to get on. We weren't by any stretch of the imagination spending the entire day with our faces buried in our phones.

We're planning to go back next August and we are so excited about it!
    My daughter went to WDW back several months ago. It was the week they dropped the mask requirements I believe in June. We all went on a trip out West in July and went to Disneyland while were were there. She had a blast both times and we all had a blast at Disneyland. With that said, the two reasons we all enjoyed it so much were no preplanning or having to deal with fastpasses of any type and low crowd levels compared to normal times. I can't begin to tell you how enjoyable it was to just buy some tickets, show up and start hitting the attractions without ever looking at an app or worrying about the time.

They are going to start the new pass system which sounds like it will be far less irritating and stressful so I do look forward to trying that out. However, I do wish they would continue to have days for each park or perhaps certain weeks through the calendar where there were no fastpasses of any type including the new Genie system that is coming and also absolutely no dining reservations on those days either. That would be when I would go.

Post Thanks / Like

First, let's get a few points out of the way. Disney is not a vacation.
    It used to be. Sure, you had to do lots of planning ahead of time, but once you got there, it was all vacation and family time. I think maybe some of us are wishing it still was still that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got back from an 11 day trip with an 8 day park pass. We came home with days still left on our passes and several days we only went for an hour or two to see something specific (like Pandora at night). Yes, there were cast members who did create magical experiences at times, but the rest of it just wasn't worth it to us.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got back from an 11 day trip with an 8 day park pass. We came home with days still left on our passes and several days we only went for an hour or two to see something specific (like Pandora at night). Yes, there were cast members who did create magical experiences at times, but the rest of it just wasn't worth it to us.
    Yikes...sorry to hear that!
    Beth & David

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes...sorry to hear that!
    Thank you. I will make a trip report when I am off work in a few days.

31. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I wouldn't say the magic is gone. We live just a few minutes from the parks and visit a few times a week. Look is it what it once was? No not right now it isn't and no I'm not a fan of the My Disney Experience app either, but the fact is that this is the future of the theme park experience. Gen Z expects everything to be tech enabled and all theme parks have an app now. Maybe not one that you have to rely on quite as much as you do MDE, but that aspect is here to stay.

It's not perfect, but I will tell you that for me I get just as much satisfaction from wandering around World Showcase at night and soaking in the atmosphere as I always did. For me, that's the magic.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

33. Likes baldburke, PopPhan liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: