Quantcast Disney World’s costly Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser to close in late September

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney World’s costly Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser to close in late September

Disney World’s Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser, a two-day hotel experience, is closing and will make its final voyage this September after being open for only more than a year.

The experience blends elements of the company’s resorts, cruise lines and theme parks into a 48-hour romp in space. First teased during Disney’s D23 Expo in 2019, the Galactic Starcruiser, located near the company’s Orlando, Florida-based Disney World Resort opened in March 2022.

The voyage costs around $1,200 per person per day, with family packages reaching closer to $6,000 for the two-day excursion. That can be a hard number to digest, especially considering a typical Disney vacation for a family of four can cost that much for a week-long trip, depending on hotel and restaurant choices.

However, the Galactic Starcruiser has been lauded as a dream come true for fans looking for the ultimate Star Wars experience. The two-day jaunt includes a hotel room, all food and drink except alcoholic and specialty beverages, a day trip to the Hollywood Studios park, a Magic Band and valet service at drop-off.

The Galactic Starcruiser is more than a hotel, however. It is an immersive experience. Voyagers spend their time on the Halcyon meeting new characters and aligning themselves with the light or the dark side.

The main gist of the overarching story goes as follows: You are a passenger on a starcruiser for a two-day voyage. During that trip, a First Order officer and several stormtroopers board the ship to root out Resistance spies. Alongside these villains there are spies, musicians, rebels and reluctant heroes, everything that makes up a Star Wars story.

And, of course, some familiar faces also appear, including Chewbacca, Rey and Kylo Ren.

The experience has earned some of the highest guest satisfaction ratings in the history of Walt Disney World and earned a Thea Award for outstanding achievement in the themed entertainment space.

Still, the boutique hotel proved to be too pricy for general Star Wars fans.

“Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser is one of our most creative projects ever and has been praised by our guests and recognized for setting a new bar for innovation and immersive entertainment,” the company said in a statement. “This premium, boutique experience gave us the opportunity to try new things on a smaller scale of 100 rooms, and as we prepare for its final voyage, we will take what we’ve learned to create future experiences that can reach more of our guests and fans.”

Disney reportedly spent $2 billion to construct its two immersive Star Wars parks in Florida and California — though it is unclear if the cost of building the Starcruiser is included in the sum.

Source CNBC: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/18/disn...o-shutter.html
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2. Thanks PopPhan thanked for this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say - saw this coming a mile away....
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

5. Likes Jeff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No surprise here. I would've stayed at a Star Wars themed hotel. This was way outside what I was willing to pay.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

They'll find a way to retheme it for general movies/scifi and rebrand it as a DVC resort with (almost) instant access to DHS.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Another hit to Disney stock!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I believe we all saw this coming. That price point requires someone to be a huge Star Wars fan AND either have a very good income/wealth or have average income and be willing to save or go in debt just to have the experience.

Either way, most all of us across the board would not be willing to spend that kind of money for a two day experience of any kind.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm bummed for the Imagineers, artists, actors, and other cast who poured so much creative energy and love into making this experience. I'm sorry their hard work didn't pay off in reality. This concept is an interesting theory but was such a tough sell outside the niche market who were large enough fans of the IP and had the kind of wealth needed to enjoy repeat visits. I'll be very interested to see what announcements are coming up regarding what will happen with the physical building. Will it be demolished? Will it be refurbished and expanded to create a highly themed hotel? Remain small and boutique but without the immersive show?
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

While I am bummed that the experience is closing, I am not surprised. Star Wars Weekends from long ago was an affordable, fun and unforgettable experience. As much as I wanted to be part of this new Star Wars creative resort, I knew I could never afford it. Hopefully they won't totally abandon the property and will open this up to the masses who love the story but can't afford the price tag. And I really hope this doesn't endure another DVC resort!

Post Thanks / Like

Duh?
    There are a lot of Disney fans.
    There are a lot of Star Wars fans
    There are not a lot of Disney Star wars fans
    There are fewer fans of Disney-fied Star Wars.
    There are fewer, still, fans of Disney-fied Star Wars who would afford $5K for two nights
    There are even fewer fans of Disney-fied Star Was who would afford $5K for two nights who want to repeat the process, over and over.

I chuckle under my breath at the lack of foresight of someone who was so smart he was worth millions of dollars a year.

13. Likes Jeff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    Duh?
    There are a lot of Disney fans.
    There are a lot of Star Wars fans
    There are not a lot of Disney Star wars fans
    There are fewer fans of Disney-fied Star Wars.
    There are fewer, still, fans of Disney-fied Star Wars who would afford $5K for two nights
    There are even fewer fans of Disney-fied Star Was who would afford $5K for two nights who want to repeat the process, over and over.

I chuckle under my breath at the lack of foresight of someone who was so smart he was worth millions of dollars a year.
    I'm betting the market research didn't ask the right questions. There's a big difference between saying you'd like to do something and actually following through on it.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Well just thought that the people who created and made this, knew that it was either go big or go home or hit or flop. Sadly ended way too soon for their hard work.
    April Showers and Easter 2024!!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the whole notion that charging an exorbitant rate to keep crowds down doesn't work?
    I think that the cost of keeping something like this going is ultimately unsustainable...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: